We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Who the heck is Anathron!?

*Warning possible spoilers*

While I was finally doing Vol I Book 15 a few days ago, there was a certain instance where you actually meet Sauron under his elven disguise during the second age amongst the Mirdain.

But lo and behold, while I was clearly expecting Annatar The Lord of Gifts as clearly documented in The Silmarillion and The Unfinished Tales (or Lost Tales? Can't remember or find the books again in all my boxes) and now he is renamed Anathron.

I'm wondering why the sudden break with the lore when throughout, the game has been fairly thourough in sticking with Tolkien's works.

Does anyone have an explanation?

Regards
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0220400000000ba8e/01001/signature.png]Barain[/charsig]

Re: Who the heck is Anathron!?

Quote Originally Posted by Nathaniel View Post

While I was finally doing Vol I Book 15 a few days ago, there was a certain instance where you actually meet Sauron under his elven disguise during the second age amongst the Mirdain.

But lo and behold, while I was clearly expecting Annatar The Lord of Gifts as clearly documented in The Silmarillion and The Unfinished Tales (or Lost Tales? Can't remember or find the books again in all my boxes) and now he is renamed Anathron.

I'm wondering why the sudden break with the lore when throughout, the game has been fairly thourough in sticking with Tolkien's works.

Regards
    Turbine doesn't have the rights to the name "Annatar". They had to make a new name that basically means the same thing.

EDIT: As an aside, Sauron looks sorta neat in that instance. His raven black hair and that robe with the shots of red throughout basically scream that this guy isn't your best friend :-)
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0620500000009263b/01003/signature.png]Arasilion[/charsig]

Thanks for the quick reply!

Do you know why they don't have the rights for that specific name but everything else so far?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0220400000000ba8e/01001/signature.png]Barain[/charsig]

Do you know why they don't have the rights for that specific name but everything else so far?
    turbine only has the rights for the lord of the rings books, in which sauron is never referred to as Annatar

Quote Originally Posted by newwwwb View Post
    turbine only has the rights for the lord of the rings books, in which sauron is never referred to as Annatar
    What this guy said. If it's not mentioned in The Hobbit, LOTR, or the Appendix, Turbine can't use the material without getting their butts sued into oblivion.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0620500000009263b/01003/signature.png]Arasilion[/charsig]

Aaah I see, that's too bad.

I hope eventually they'll revise that otherwise we're gonna see more and more inconsistencies like that crop up.

Thanks for the info.

Regards

Well, as others have said, Turbine doesn't have the rights to the name "Annatar, The Lord of Gifts". But, they have given us a close facsimile. Instead of Annatar, we have Antheron.

Annatar comes from Quenya:

Anna (gift) + tar (noble, royal, high, lord) = Annatar (Lord of Gifts)

Antheron comes from Sindarin:

Ant (gift) + heron (master) = Antheron (Master of Gifts)
    [COLOR=yellowgreen][B]"Pure creation is like a vacation."[/B][/COLOR]
    [INDENT]- Welby of Landroval[/INDENT]

Quote Originally Posted by Arasilion View Post
    What this guy said. If it's not mentioned in The Hobbit, LOTR, or the Appendix, Turbine can't use the material without getting their butts sued into oblivion.
    Pretty much said it for me.

I think Sauron is the most interesting Tolkien character.
    Probably because there is so much mystique about him and you have to admit..the opening sequence in the movie was pretty cool when he played "good guy" golf with his mace!
    Plus, the Silmarillion leaves you wanting for so much more detail aka LOTR's....as its so high level. Wolf Sauron, Vampire Bat Sauron, Monster Sauron, etc etc etc
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/02204000000100b68/01008/signature.png]Vinarion[/charsig]

Since you mention where you saw him, I thought I would point something out. I don't know if it's related and I haven't run the instance in a while to be sure.

Near Gwingris, in the wooded area to the SE. There is a black spot on the ground and you get hit with dread when you step on it. If my memory serves correct that is the spot that Anathron(Sauron) stood when he convinced Amarthiel to come with him.

Theodhelm - Captain | Junkyard - Stalker
    Previously from ~Elendilmir Server~ the [Jewelled Bell] of servers
    ~Arkenstone~
    ~Misadventurers~

Quote Originally Posted by Thalifea View Post
    Near Gwingris, in the wooded area to the SE. There is a black spot on the ground and you get hit with dread when you step on it. If my memory serves correct that is the spot that Anathron(Sauron) stood when he convinced Amarthiel to come with him.
    Whoa, really?! If so, kudos to Turbine for thinking that up and kudos to you for realizing it!

Because owners ever gave permissions to use lotr and hobbit related stuff,keeping silmarillion and stuff tied to it for themselves and since this part of the lore is contained within silmarillion...

Quote Originally Posted by stefan1988 View Post
    Because owners ever gave permissions to use lotr and hobbit related stuff,keeping silmarillion and stuff tied to it for themselves and since this part of the lore is contained within silmarillion...
    That question was asked ~12 years ago and answered to with the same info you give in your answer. So I guess this is /necro.
    There's some good in this world, and it is worth fighting for.

closing as /necro
    Community Manager, Lord of the Rings Online
    Follow LOTRO on: Twitter - Facebook - Twitch - YouTube
    Personal channels (No SSG talk): Twitch Twitter Facebook
    Support: help.standingstonegames.com
    coolcool