We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Re: The Scholars Guide

What's the best way for scholars to make money?

Dyes are typically the best sellers.

I haven't delved much in to the potion market as keeping myself and friends stocked is tough enough.
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/072060000000ca4f1/01008/signature.png]Cuspis[/charsig]
    [/SIZE][/FONT]

I was about to do some leveling up as I've only done a few so far for quest and stuff. With the change to potions coming is it better to level up now or post patch?

Vary Helpful--But Where do you get *[1 Hand-Bound Journal]. I found it in the beta testing and have yet to find it after the beta testing.

I've managed to pick up all the Shattered Pitchers and Broken Urns I need by camping at safe locations mentioned in this Guide, but I haven't yet found any Ancient Vases to start making progress on Tier 3. Can anyone recommend somewhere (presumably in the North Downs or Lone-Lands) where I can go solo and pick them up? Please describe the location with enough detail for me to be able to find it. I am a level 23 Minstrel and find these areas quite dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by ASinc View Post
    I've managed to pick up all the Shattered Pitchers and Broken Urns I need by camping at safe locations mentioned in this Guide, but I haven't yet found any Ancient Vases to start making progress on Tier 3. Can anyone recommend somewhere (presumably in the North Downs or Lone-Lands) where I can go solo and pick them up? Please describe the location with enough detail for me to be able to find it. I am a level 23 Minstrel and find these areas quite dangerous.
    Well, in the Lone Lands there is Naerost (probably misspelled). It should have a flag on your map if you've done the quests in the area. It is pretty much due west of Ost Guruth and before Weathertop. It's populated by lvl 18-20 half-orcs so you shouldn't have too much of a problem as long as you avoid pulling crowds of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ASinc View Post
    and keep in mind that just because you aren't seeing vases at places that are reported to spawn them doesn't mean they aren't spawning... but that some other scholar may be getting them before you.

if you want a pretty easy spawn place for vases in the North Downs, there's a ruin south of Esteldin...south of the Snares...but before you get to the swamp or the trolls. because its safe (I've never seen a creature spawn in it) it only spawns 1 vase. If you're coming south down the road from the Esteldin / Othrikar / Meliunen crossroad, when you start to see the swamp turn due east and you should see a ruin in the hillside.

Ost Cyrn and Naerost and Mithrenost in the Lone Lands all spawn vases too, but they have tarkrip orcs / half orcs / elite dwarves so they're not overly safe.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/022040000000012c2/01004/signature.png]Holeyn[/charsig]
    [size=-2]also Aborning (cap) and Aeglin (champ)[/size]
    Leader of [url=http://my.lotro.com/kinship-meneldor-prancing_pwnies/]Prancing Pwnies[/url] on Meneldor

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit07 View Post
    I made a pretty good bit of money farming lower level scholar nodes ( Shattered Pitchers ) in a few places where all the mobs were grey to me. I would make potions with 1/3 of what I got and metalsmithing lore to vendor with the rest. For time + availability it's the best route since one scroll sells for 4s 20c and you can stack them in 10's ( ie one stack sells for 42s ). Since it just takes 3 Scraps of Text and 1 Early Third Age Relic, it's not that bad. Then I put all the extra Worn Tablet Fragments on the AH with a buyout for about half the lowest buyout and done.

I had about 3g give or take by the end of Open Beta but I also killed every one of the grey mobs around where I was farming and looted the stack items they drop. ( for instance if a dropped sword sells for 1s and the stackable drops sell for 88c, then a stack of the drops sell for 8s 80c for one inventory space vs 1s for one inventory space. Means I can spend longer looking for scholar nodes before my bags are full, the single item non-stacks just get destroyed unless it's something a member of my kinship can use )

There you have it, how I made a pretty fair amount of coin in relatively little time. Course you wouldn't be able to tell I had that much coin now... ( looks at his alt with cooking and more repair bills than the White House... )

Great guide, a couple of points tho:

Sienna and Yarrow Root are common (white), not rare (purple).
    The Recipe Drop section is missing the Salve line of recipes.
    Are you sure you've got your Tier 3 and Tier 5 node names correct? I seem to recall reading them being the other way around...
    Last edited by Selari; May 23 2007 at 07:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit07 View Post
    I've seen 50 aged scrap text sale for as much as 2g, 750s at the AH

55s apiece? My buyouts are too low!

Quote Originally Posted by rmcdavid View Post
    I've seen 50 aged scrap text sale for as much as 2g, 750s at the AH
    Listed for sale =/= selling.
    What tier 1 scholar has 3g, anyway?!
    Belegil - Guardian of Gweth Valacirca, Supreme Grand Master Historian
    Bharathir - Captain of Gweth Valacirca, Tailor of meager skill
    Bragol - a young Warden with a tiny shield but a big heart
    Landroval

Oh they've sold for that.

Alts of higher level players has 3g.

Anyone know what the costs are for the new potion ingredients?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000000034eb/01005/signature.png]Oliver[/charsig]

Does anyone know where to find Battle Lore and Warding Lore recipes?

I got the tier one recipes automatically, but since then I haven't found any recipes for the higher level scrolls.

Both of those are not journeyman recipes. They will be given automatically at tier 3.

Quote Originally Posted by rmcdavid View Post
    Both of those are not journeyman recipes. They will be given automatically at tier 3.
    I am a master scholar, and I don't believe I got any battle or warding lore recipes past the first tier. I am away from my computer at this time so I will have to double check this when I get a chance.

------------------
    Ok, I found them. I just missed them in my crafting lists.
    Last edited by SGWB; Jun 14 2007 at 05:06 PM.

There' no battle/warding lore at the Journeyman level, there is at the Expert level. And that's it, just:

http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Recip...le_Lore_Recipe
    http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Recip...le_Lore_Recipe

So just those two, T1 and T3.

Forgive me if this was already covered, I did not thouroughly read all the posts here.

I am an Artisian scholar with 440/440 towards proficiency. I have all of the items needed to complete Path of Learning IV, but I cannot put the components together since the scroll to complete the quest requires master skill. I also cannot progress past proficiency. I have talked to every scholar NPC I know of including the main one in Rivendell.

Please help if you can tell me how to progress past proficiency to complete the quest.
    [url=http://www.gamerphreak.com/]Gamerphreak[/url]

Angry Re: The Scholars Guide

for the love of God, can you change the item details in first post on the Dwarf-carving, needed for Quest Path #2? It says u need to go to Angmar and searched it in a ruin... while this is completely wrong (or probably changed with a patch or somethin) and u can get the carving dropped from some humanoid mob in North-downs OR you can buy 1 in Auction House for as low as 10s..... (u just need one)

i learned this the hard way after dragging my lonely lv40 sorry butt to Angmar and try to survive desperately (read: DESPERATELY!!) by scouting the area and killing lv.43++ mobs by myself..... just to come back empty handed, and checking the Action House in Bree to see one is for sale for 30s..... 30silver!!! my REPAIR COST is 10x that when i got out of Angmar!

thank you

sorry, just venting frustration lol
    *Sapience stuff deleted*

Quote Originally Posted by Redbeaver View Post
    for the love of God, can you change the item details in first post on the Dwarf-carving, needed for Quest Path #2? It says u need to go to Angmar and searched it in a ruin... while this is completely wrong (or probably changed with a patch or somethin) and u can get the carving dropped from some humanoid mob in North-downs OR you can buy 1 in Auction House for as low as 10s..... (u just need one)

i learned this the hard way after dragging my lonely lv40 sorry butt to Angmar and try to survive desperately (read: DESPERATELY!!) by scouting the area and killing lv.43++ mobs by myself..... just to come back empty handed, and checking the Action House in Bree to see one is for sale for 30s..... 30silver!!! my REPAIR COST is 10x that when i got out of Angmar!

thank you

sorry, just venting frustration lol
    cracked dwarf carvings aren't the same as ruined dwarf carvings. just so you know. ^_^
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/022040000000012c2/01004/signature.png]Holeyn[/charsig]
    [size=-2]also Aborning (cap) and Aeglin (champ)[/size]
    Leader of [url=http://my.lotro.com/kinship-meneldor-prancing_pwnies/]Prancing Pwnies[/url] on Meneldor

.............................. ........*blushed*

ok, so the wutever carving you need for Quest #2 lol, please edit first post so people can just buy the in AH.... if theres other scholar quest that needs that carving up in angmar, then tell them its for which quest...

coz i got quest2, it says for dwarf carving, and since some names are changed over from BETA n stuff, i thought that one in Angmar is the carving i needed....

should know better lv.20 quest doesnt send somebody to Angmar
    *Sapience stuff deleted*

Quote Originally Posted by Redbeaver View Post
    .............................. ........*blushed*

ok, so the wutever carving you need for Quest #2 lol, please edit first post so people can just buy the in AH.... if theres other scholar quest that needs that carving up in angmar, then tell them its for which quest...

coz i got quest2, it says for dwarf carving, and since some names are changed over from BETA n stuff, i thought that one in Angmar is the carving i needed....

should know better lv.20 quest doesnt send somebody to Angmar
    ...but what a trip it must've been!!

What Tier of nodes are in the new zone? and any good places there?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000000034eb/01005/signature.png]Oliver[/charsig]

antique vases + forgotten lore. Since it's a "ruins area" you can pretty much get a node anywhere.

Also, someone want to document changes to recipes (pots mainly) and anything that might have gone unnoticed? I'm going to start doing it meself once i get a bit of downtime.
    [RIGHT][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b00000000f423/signature.png]Dagonbor[/charsig]
    [/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Blue]Exile of Exiles of Numenor[/COLOR][/FONT][COLOR=Blue]
    [/COLOR] [FONT=Century Gothic][COLOR=Green][COLOR=Lime][COLOR=Blue]Incapacitated Misadventurer[/COLOR]
    [/COLOR] [/COLOR][/FONT][/RIGHT]

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast