We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Over the next few weeks we will be focusing on the classes in our Tell the Community Team threads. In keeping with that theme, we want your help. If you could give one tip to a new player about playing the Captain class, what would it be?

Re: Feedback: New Player Tips for Captains

In a fellowship, always use your shield-brother skills.
    [CENTER][SIZE=2][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b00000004f31f/01008/signature.png]Theulin[/charsig][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=White][B][U]
    Alts[/U]:[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][B] Lendreal[/B] : [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=red]60 Elf Guardian[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] - [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=yellow]Historian [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2]| [/SIZE][SIZE=2][B]Lorekthal : [/B][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=red]53 Dwarf Minstrel[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] - [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=yellow]Explorer[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2]
    [U][COLOR=White][I][B]Lifetime Founder[/B][/I][/COLOR][/U] of [I][COLOR=Yellow][B]LotRO[/B][/COLOR][/I][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]... ...[/COLOR][COLOR=Red][B]Member[/B][/COLOR] of [URL="http://www.wisdomkin.com/"][I][B]'Wisdom'[/B][/I][/URL]
    [/SIZE][url]http://www.youtube.com/endurance1992[/url][/CENTER]

in groups: dont try to be primary DPS, focus on buffing/healing with some DPS thrown in

solo: plan ahead, know your skills and bring potions
    Last edited by Snoman73; Jun 11 2010 at 11:02 AM.

2 tips...

put banner (victory/war/hope) skills on quikslot for faster herald summoning or banner planting along with the herald(s) you like to use.

also...use banners in a fellowship not heralds in most situations.

5. Jun 11 2010, 11:30 AM

Alternate defensive strike every other skill, so you will not run out of melee skills and be auto-attacking.

Quote Originally Posted by Frelorn View Post
    Over the next few weeks we will be focusing on the classes in our Tell the Community Team threads. In keeping with that theme, we want your help. If you could give one tip to a new player about playing the Captain class, what would it be?
    Stick with it. Your rather scattered set of skills does not give you lots of depth at first, but it gets better.

Once you have the ability to use banners, use them and trait "Strength from Within" so that Muster Courage gives you the self-heal.

Don't worry that the traits disables Heralds. Heralds are practically useless, and they're not worth the frustration over trying to get them to path like someone who doesn't ride the short bus to school.

Do not expect to be doing top-tier DPS. It's not your job.
    Arda Shrugged : Elendilmir (RIP) -> Arkenstone -> Anor (RIP) -> Landroval -> Treebeard

Its hard to beat just going Hands of Healing 100% of the time, you can eventually wear down most anything and your very survivable.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d0000000d351a/01008/signature.png]Fervorn[/charsig]

2h's are generally better then sword nd board, but since the weapon speed generalization in mirkwood sword nd board can be viable.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d010000277914/signature.png]Toiletwater[/charsig]
    [COLOR=GREEN]Spacemanbobr, Sithmanbobr[/COLOR], [COLOR=RED]Toiletwater, Spacemandef[/COLOR]

As you level, be sure to use your revealing mark before you go into battle. When you are fighting a difficult opponent, let your herald do most of the work of DPS, only throwing an occasional heal on him to keep him up. If you have multiple enemies, you can send your herald in first to get the aggro of one, then fight the other yourself.

Pressing Attack is generally going to give you more chances to use your Rallying Cry, as it has double the hits. However, against a single target, it does less damage and has the same chance, so keep that in mind.

Don't be afraid to run. You can throw your noble mark on a target and just kite it around until it dies.

Quote Originally Posted by Reillan View Post
    Pressing Attack is generally going to give you more chances to use your Rallying Cry, as it has double the hits. However, against a single target, it does less damage and has the same chance, so keep that in mind.
    Actually, unless something's changed, PA has always done more noncrit damage than noncrit DB. Crit damage is something else.

For new captains, I highly recommend figuring things out for yourself and not going to the captain boards immediately for advice (e.g. "tell me what traits to use"). Guides can be useful, but can also be outdated and subjective. The best way to learn all your skills is to study them after training and trying them out in different situations.

Take any advice that states an absolute (e.g. "you must always have this legacy no matter your traiting or the situation") with a grain of salt and decide for yourself.

Because if you can't figure out how to effectively play the captain (to your playstyle as well) without a lot of handholding and frustration, the class was not meant for you. Hybrids are a challenge to play to their full effectiveness. Don't be afraid of this truth.

1. Gilded (having a pleasing or showy appearance that conceals something of little worth)
    2. Having an appearance of grandeur that obfuscates by complexity and arbitrariness
    3. Disposable
    Last edited by Trilwych; Sep 03 2012 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Removed arrow pointing to nonexistent signature line

Like a Lore Master, you have many facets in group play. Be the General on the field, monitor the flow of battle, and fill the role that your group currently requires. Healer falling behind on heals? Drop back and help them out. DPS a little low? Jump in the fray, toss up Oath Breakers and catch them up. Group going down fast? Toss out In Harm's Way and ready Last Stand, if someone goes down pop off a rez. You can pull them back from the brink!

Quote Originally Posted by Mithrandir3 View Post
    Once you have the ability to use banners, use them and trait "Strength from Within" so that Muster Courage gives you the self-heal.

Don't worry that the traits disables Heralds. Heralds are practically useless, and they're not worth the frustration over trying to get them to path like someone who doesn't ride the short bus to school.
    I don't know if this is a 'discussion' thread or not, but I'd disagree with this. At higher levels, yeah sure; but heralds are very useful at the low/mid levels.
    Last edited by Big_H; Jun 11 2010 at 12:44 PM. Reason: extra ssssssses abound
    Level 65 Hunter // Level 65 Warden // Level 65 Captain // Level 65 Lore Master // Level 65 Champion
    Level 65 Minstrel // Level 65 Burglar // Level 65 Rune Keeper // Level 50 Guardian
    Ongbúrz Tracker says, "Stop hittin' me, you slug!"

15. Re: Feedback: New Player Tips for Captains

When you activate Last Stand, tell the healer. It keeps them from 1) having a heart-attack and 2) tossing unnecessary heals on you.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/012030000000489f7/01002/signature.png]Ghira[/charsig]
    Ghira - 65 Captain | Corwen - 65 Runekeeper | Magdalene - 65 Guardian

Quote Originally Posted by Big_H View Post
    I don't know if this is a 'disscussion' thread or not, but I'd disagree with this. At higher levels, yeah sure; but heralds are very useful at the low/mid levels.
    Indeed. Even in Mirkwood running HoH off-tanking with a herald is very useful for tough solo pulls (like a sig and 3 normals).

The first 20-30 levels of the Captain will be rather dull because of our limited skills. As the captain levels up, they gain a wider variety of skills to use and become much more enjoyable to play.
    [CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000020634/01003/signature.png]Tridan[/charsig]
    [SIZE="1"][URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/brandywine/tridan/"]Tridan (Man Captain)[/URL] - [URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/brandywine/aerofas/"]Areofas (Elf Hunter)[/URL] - [URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/brandywine/bergil/"]Bergil (Man Lore Master)[/URL] - [URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/brandywine/trudan/"]Trudan (Elf Warden)
    [/URL] - [URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/brandywine/trydun/"]Trydun (Dwarf Rune Keeper) [/URL] | [URL="http://my.lotro.com/kinship-brandywine-the_last_knights_of_gondolin/"]The Last Knights of Gondolin[/URL] | [COLOR="Red"]Brandywine[/COLOR][/SIZE][/CENTER]

Captains are at thier strongest in fellowships. Always keep your fellowship buffed and healed as much as possible. Always shield-brother whoever pulls the most or 2nd most aggro. Depending on the instance, it is sometimes best to shield brother different classes from what you normally do. Most of all, be flexible and willing to assume different roles. Sometimes you will need to be the tank or off-tank, and sometimes you will need to be the minstrel or runekeepers' backup healer.

If you are going to play with a herald, learn to micro[manage] it well.

Start by changing the AI to passive, and not guard or aggressive. Agressive works well in skirmishes (herald will behave exactly like a soldier) and some other situations, but generally should not be used. Guard AI is simply to unpredictable and lets the herald leeroy into a pack of stuff.

Knowing when to toggle Assist on and off, and how to target and have the herald attack with assist toggled on.

Also, be sure to RIGHT CLICK the skills to turn them on to auto attack. This helps the herald hold agro on a target better.

You can also click and drag skills to you main hot bars for ease of use. Suggested skills: Attack, Follow, and Lend Will. Lend Will will morph into the skill that increases evade and helps the archer live longer when you switch from herald to archer.

Also, slotting Strength from Within will turn off the herald, so have a full complement of banners if you are ever have that trait slotted.

My advice is this:

Remember that everyone plays a captain differently.

I play a support role (healing, buffing, etc.) and use a herald.
    My friend plays an off-tank role (grab the extra dude that gets past the guardian) and uses a standard.
    Another guy I know plays a DPS role (ignore all the fancy stuff and just do as much damage to a single target as possible)

They're all valid and useful. If you can keep track of what all your skills do, you'll be able to find out what you like and how to do it.

A few tips for new people:
    -You have some skills that are gray until an enemy dies. Keep them on your screen where you can see them so you know when to hit them.

-If you send your herald in first, then they'll kill him instead of you. Send him in by selecting a bad guy and clicking the attack button (which I drag to my quickbar for this purpose).

-One of the marks you'll eventually get does damage. This is a great way to start combat without having to run up close to the bad guy.

-Captains can't really heal themselves. If you're in a group where you're supposed to be healing people, make sure that someone else is watching to make sure you don't die.

-If you use a herald and he dies, you can immediately equip a standard and drop it on the ground. Drag one to your quickbar for this purpose.

-You'll eventually figure this out, but it's not immediately obvious that you can put some buffs on heralds, loremaster pets, guys that you have to protect for quests, skirmish soldiers, and (as of the current patch) even rune-keeper rocks. Just try whatever you have and see what works. -->Special Note: Click F1 to select yourself, F1 again to select your companion, etc. to cycle through all your dudes. F2 does it for the next person listed in your fellowship and so forth. This makes locating and buffing companions a lot easier.<--

Always trait at least four deep into Lead the Charge, and use Grave Wound every time it's up.

Besides this,

- Use banners once you can. Heralds are annoying for you and your group.
    - Don't forget to buff!!
    - Always try and help the minstrel out. Don't just say, "So-and-so needs heals", heal them yourself. You are more than capable.

Quote Originally Posted by Romulus071 View Post
    Most of all, be flexible and willing to assume different roles. Sometimes you will need to be the tank or off-tank, and sometimes you will need to be the minstrel or runekeepers' backup healer.
    QFT.

As a Captain your primary duty is watching the big picture, even if you're not actually the fellowship leader. Keep people buffed; be ready to support the Minstrel or RK in healing duties (or be ready to heal them!); contribute to DPS when you can; if you're not using a banner, have your herald do something useful (they make great off-tanks both when solo-ing and in groups); and above all, watch the overall state of the battle. If it looks like things are taking a turn for the worse, be ready to fire emergency skills like IHW/LS and your in-combat rez.

Don't take anyone else's advice too seriously... properly played, a Captain can often make the difference between a wipe and a success, but it's up to you to figure out precisely how and in a way that works for your style.

"Good luck!"

Solo captains keep your gear as up to date as possible.

DPS is generally low, so the bigger the sword, the faster the fight, but you're always going to take punishment, so get that shiny armour too.
    [center][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000000e4a6e/01007/signature.png]Aegalir[/charsig]
    "Can't we all just get along?"
    [/center]

Look Awesome

You're the awesomest class in the game, you must look the part! Image is everything, everything else is for show.

Seriously,

In groups don't try and get aggro. We heal others much better than ourselves.
    Last edited by Aoeworth; Jun 12 2010 at 03:42 AM.
    What I type here, is only so I don't get banned. What I really think goes here.

We are the BEST class for leading raids in pvmp, but not for soloing.

-You must be close enough to rez ppl using the instant rez (cry of vengence)

-Put the banners in your hotbar like your skills

-Revealing mark is your friend for soloing elites or sigs

-If the instance/encounter has enough death responces, HoH legendary is useless and rallying cry is awesome!

- Don't be afraid to you In Harms Way skill, you DO NOT have to use Last Stand with it to survive.

-Muster courage cures FEARS, those purple icon items below your name. (believe me i had no idea what 'fear' was until i reached lvl 50...the good old days)

- Don't worry about saving Oathbreaker skill for final boss battles, SPAM that every time you have high hp mob to fight, 5 minutes goes by very fast in raids.

- 5% increase in War cry trait (Captain of war) means the group can attack 5% faster and the group is doing 5% more dps, use it when its up.

- Think before equipping personal heal trait or HoH legendary trait, if there is enough death responses, Rallying cry will ALWAYS be more effective than any of those traits (especially when you have it on 8.3sec or 15 sec cooldown).

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast