We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Feedback: New Player Tips for Captains

Quote Originally Posted by witchking782 View Post
    -If the instance/encounter has enough death responces, HoH legendary is useless and rallying cry is awesome!

- 5% increase in War cry trait (Captain of war) means the group can attack 5% faster and the group is doing 5% more dps, use it when its up.
    Two things:
    First: HoH is always useful. It's extra healing to your Rallying Cry skill. Even if stuff is dying all the time - you'll keep your own power up more thanks to RC's power return, and you'll help everyone else's power more. I spam RC even when health bars are at full.
    Second: 5% increase in speed does not translate to a 5% increase in DPS. It's actually more like 2-3% depending on the class, and some classes won't see any benefit. While I do like this trait, there may be more important traits to get.

Bind an extra mouse button to your instant/reactive rez skill (cry of vengeance), makes it much easier to actually hit it fast enough.

Have a separate weapon and emblem for your buff legacies.
    [CENTER]Rakethorn of Elendilmir[/CENTER]
    [CENTER] [/CENTER]

3. Jun 12 2010, 05:40 PM

When soloing, apply your damage skills judiciously and have a kill order in mind for multi-mob pulls. Time your combat around your defeat response cooldowns, and you can take on encounters that few other classes can alone.
    Graf | Musta

To me the most basic: remember that in a group, you need to maintain good situational awareness. Somebody once described captains as "battlefield managers" and that is about right: you can help with healing, increase group dps, bubble, grab adds, and generally make the group more efficient in good times and save them in bad. To do this you need to keep a broad eye on the group: is the mini taking aggro? is he/she falling behind in healing? Are people's power bars drooping? Is somebody going down fast? Be aware and shift focus as is necessary.

Just ask question, the best way to get a tip.
    Marianna from Windfola, Captain lv115.
    Now on Arkenstone, took a few year off on Gladden.

Because your battle shout is ranged, if you lead off every battle with it, you can sometimes find yourself having few targets to hit with your Pressing Attack. The mobs are running toward you, you hit your shout, and they still have 20 meters to cross before reaching you. This means that when they get close, your opportunity to hit PA may already be expired, or that you have to hit it before it can hit its max number of targets. (max targets is only 2 below 45, admittedly, but it can still be an issue there). Instead, save your shout a second or three longer and let the mobs settle down a bit, then you'll have time to set up your PA for the maximum number of hits possible. The more hits you can get, the better your chances of getting a crit on any of them, and the more chances you'll be able to launch your on-defeat responses.

Also, learn that your PA is a frontal AoE with limited range. This means that in fights with multiple mobs where you're trying to specifically avoid hitting a given mob, you can position yourself with your back to the mob you don't want to hit and smack your PA. Your AoE on-defeat shout is, however, full AoE.

Get to know your strengths and weaknesses in particular kinds of situations. As with any support class, what you do when running solo is often going to be VERY different from what you do in a group (depending on if you are filling the role of backup healer, off-tank, or just buffing/adding some DPS).

Variety is also key here - one of our biggest strengths is the fact that we CAN help out with just about anything short of Power Management (and we do burn through power). Thus, learning what traits to work on (and max out) to enhance those particular abilities is important. Spend some time early on getting to know what you'll need to focus on and you'll be ahead of the curve when you get to higher levels (35+).

Also, as has already been said, we really shine best when in a group. We're here to help, after all; and you'll have many different opportunities and chances to utilize your various buffs, heals, etc. A Captain is truly a Fellowship class.
    IRISH-ROHIRRIM AIRLINES: FORTH, AER LINGUS!
    Sigismund - Loremaster / Macbeth - Captain / Jinjur - Warden / Minerva - Minstrel - Arkenstone

Potions.

Like all close combat classes (the heavies in particular), bring potions against wound, disease and poison. You get a lot of debuffs when fighting at sword range, a lot more than e.g. a Hunter or Rune-keeper that works from home mostly. You can buy those at vendors. (might be worth getting a house to buy those and also for the repair discount for your heavy armour)

And use them early, before the debuffs accumulate damage. There's no point popping the wound point after you bled nearly to death and the wound effect ends anyway. Popping them early also means the cooldown might be over by the time you'd like to use the next one.

For new Captains, the advice I give, especially if you are solo, it don't forget the herald! He is good for tanking and stealing notice while you run in, through, try to pick up an item, or need some help while killing. Later on, you won't be using the heralds much except for this type of thing anyway.

Always trait your slow.
    Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by AEW View Post
    Always trait your slow.
    Nuff said.

which slow ? please i'd like to get more information kbyetnx
    Marianna from Windfola, Captain lv115.
    Now on Arkenstone, took a few year off on Gladden.

Learn to prioritize. As a high level captain you will have a lot of different abilities, and they all have their uses. You could just spam all your skills every time they are up, but that isn't efficient nor is it necessarily what is needed. Learn to assess, and use what will benefit your group the most in the current situation, even when it means continuing to heal as opposed to inducting a rez on someone right that second, or choosing to save your last rez in case a healer dies instead of bringing up a DPS class right away. Sometimes you have to abandon one ability in order to make use of another more useful one in the current situation.

If you make a mistake, don't panic. Step back and think about what will help the most, then do it as quickly as possible. Captains make great group maintainers. You can help out everywhere and in pretty much every situation, so choose what role will benefit your group the most and do everything you can to fill that role until it changes. I try to be selfless as a captain and make sure I am doing whatever is best for THE GROUP even if it means I am not getting noticed or doing what is most fun at the moment. I find that it helps everyone at being more successful.

It takes time and practice, but using your skills correctly is the most important thing in this game. Gear is very helpful, and traiting properly is even more so, but anyone can be successful no matter the setup if they do what they are supposed to do when they are supposed to do it.

Most importantly, do whatever it takes to have fun! That's what we are all here for after all.
    Last edited by Ivaed; Jun 21 2010 at 11:23 AM.
    The Noldor of Arkenstone

Quote Originally Posted by MorningStarSE View Post
    which slow ? please i'd like to get more information kbyetnx
    The slow thats on a 3 year CD, its probably on CD currently for you, and that is why you don't know what it is.

Kthxbai
    Also please catch the joke in my posts.

15. Jun 24 2010, 12:49 PM

Quote Originally Posted by scottybene View Post
    Bind an extra mouse button to your instant/reactive rez skill (cry of vengeance), makes it much easier to actually hit it fast enough.
    Good suggestion! I can't believe I haven't done that after all this time!

Heralds and jumping
    If you have a mount , mount up before jumping off a ledge. You herald will appear next to you when you dismount. He won't have to path to you pulling everything in the zone along with him.
    Last edited by namamai; Jul 04 2010 at 12:06 PM.

#1) ALWAYS buff yourself and your group-- ALWAYS

#2) SOLO: Make your herald your shield brother
    Grouped: Make someone your shield brother --typically main tank

#3) Make using your on-defeat skills such a habit that you use them INSTINCTIVELY... I did this by ALWAYS using one of them whether grouped or solo pretty much every time one was available.

#4) Understand your buffs and which ones are most commonly appropriate for the other classes.

Tips tips ... I have a hard time giving tips without actual questions.

#1 If you use a herald or archer herald learn to control them properly. don't get your group or raid wiped by leaving it on aggressive.

#2 If your herald is not off tanking turn off the auto use of his melee taunt it will get him killed on boss fights.

#3 If your herald dies quickly switch to a banner don't let your group go without the buffs.

#4 use your best judgment on which class needs which Tactics buff. Crit, Parry, And Power Tactics can make a huge difference if used properly.

#5 Learn as much as you can about other class's since our job is to support and buff it is important for a captain to know about other class's so that we can better support them. For instance a champion in fervor is hard to heal if the tank does not need priority heals its a good idea to shield brother the champ to offset his -inc heal rating.

#6 Rally cry Rally cry Rally cry Rally cry Rally cry Rally cry Rally cry Rally cry oh and did i mention Rally cry. =)

#7 explore and test different trait lines to find the one that works for you, learn and understand when certain traits are not useful like in big instances or when solo.

#8 Never underestimate the power of revealing mark with proper dps and a can do attitude revealing mark can be your best friend.

#9 If you can help it don't play alone and this applys to any class, although solo play is important captain is a very group orientated class on top of that you will have much more fun with another person then solo.

#10 Lastly always remember that this is a game don't get frustrated over something your supposed to have fun with. If you ever need advice or an opinion on a subject dealing with captains private message me i will be more then happy to apply my experiences to your problem.

#11 Remeber that captain is not a One Role Class, We DPS, We Heal, and We Buff. There is no inbetween, if you ever find yourself only healing or only dpsing your doing it wrong.
    Last edited by ydoc; May 16 2011 at 03:48 AM.

Best tip of all time: Your class will always be nerfed the most.

examples:
    1: in-harms way from 100% to 50%
    2: Valiant strike same number of pips, but too short of a HOT.
    3: Devastating blow from a 60 2nd age was twice as powerful as a 65 second age devastate devastating blow.
    Eli7ist.com
    Exploits find me, I don't find them!

Post Re: Feedback: New Player Tips for Captains

This should be required reading for anyone who wants to properly fulfill their role in a group:
    http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/A_Bas...or_Fellowships

Wow these are great tips.

Are Captains as solo friendly as they seem?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000000af9f4/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote: dethjester "Are Captains as solo friendly as they seem?"

Despite being designed as a group-support class, captains solo really well - they're resilient and have plenty of 'uh-oh' answers.

The usual arguments against solo captains are:
    1. they're slow to level
    2. playing them solo isn't playing them to the optimum.
    But it's your toon, you can play it the way you like

Modifying proviso: PvMP. All but a few captains struggle to solo effectively in the Moors. So if you want to PvMP, you will be most effective in a group. That being the case, you'll want to have practiced your group skills.

My cappie main probably spends 95% of her time PvE solo. She's displaced my hunter (a popular solo class) and while I appreciate that there are faster classes, I enjoy her playstyle

Banners, heralds, sword&board or 2-hander, traited for dps or heals, and the ability to gratuitously buff people passing by - it's all good
    Vulfen cpt 100

their heralds makes the best alllies in tough fights, but it depends of the danner you give them as well.

Lots of good stuff here

some additional thoughts - go to the blog A Casual Stroll to Mordor - they have a class guide podcast series. The Captain guide is a bit out of date due to changes in the class lines but they have subsequent ones discussing those changes. I found that it was pretty useful to listen to when it was first broadcast (I was high 40's at the time). It explained some things about the functioning of certain skills plus just general enjoyment (episode 45a Captains Roundtable: http://www.casualstrolltomordor.com/...able-episodes/ )

Then in no particular order:

communication is very helpful - if possible, enable your in-game chat (audio options) or even better get a mike and use Teamspeak/Ventrilo etc... Letting people know what you are doing and when your are doing it can be very helpful

For instance your Skill Oathbreaker's Shame http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Skill...er's_Shame causes 3 blue ghosts to circle around your target. The animation looks like they are attacking your target - but often newer players of other classes do not realize that it does no damage on its own - but it greatly increases the damage that your fellowship is putting out for a short period of time. Being able to tell people what it does and when you are firing it off is very useful to maximize your output

As you level, look for your class skills that have a long cool down - spam them when you are crafting or wandering around. They are all useful latter and can be painful to earn if you don't work on them regularly. Also, skills that have to be cast on others (healing is what I am thinking of) - these work on your herald whether you are in combat or not - spam those often as well

People have mentioned potions/pots - those are obviously useful. Food is as well. A captain with food and pots has a very good chance to making it to level 20 without dying (if you are looking for the Undying title)

Make sure you are in the habit of responding with one of your shout skills when ever something dies - you will need that to be ingrained muscle memory as you level up. In the beginning these are on cooldowns that seem forever but as you level, opportunities open up to make this shorter and you don't want to be thinking about it then - they should just be an automatic reaction for you.

Someone told me recently, that the main thing that separates a good Captain from an average Captain is whether you do "Cappy things" without being told or asked from your group.

have fun most of all
    ps - also, when providing buffs to your fellowship, it is good to know what generally goes best for each class - sometimes at earlier levels (or latter - lol) people don't know what they need. But if someone specifically asks for a particular buff you should give it to them - they generally know what they need most
    Firefoot Ulfa - 65 Guardian | Fogsong - 65 Captain | Alarica - 65 Minstrel
    "Certain Death? Small chance of success? Well, what are we waiting for?" - Gimli, Son of Gloin

My captain is my main and is an awesome solo class. I may not do the DPS, Heals, or Tanking of the specialty classes but doing all of them fairly well is great for solo.
    Your will find that bad pulls solo are not as painful for a Cappy and you will usually survive. Some other classes will go down quick due to inductions being trashed from multiple mob hits. Captains have almost all instant cast so that helps with unexpected numbers of mobs, along with heavy armor and heals.
    [url=http://my.lotro.com/character/windfola/Ellandor][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0720600000000c4fc/01002/signature.png]Ellandor[/charsig][/url]
    [url=http://dawningeclipse.shivtr.com]Dawning Eclipse[/url]
    “I can avoid being seen if I wish, but to disappear entirely, that is a rare gift.”

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast