We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Irin19 View Post
    LM's make great tanks for SOME fights!
    Uhm, I cannot suggest enough, let your bear tank. Paper tigers die easily. As an LM with over 9 months played time (/played), I urge you to consider this... we are not good tanks. A good warden can take any number of mobs, but tanking as an LM is fraught with danger.
    Pherenn, Phermin, Pherkeeper, Phertain, Pherhuntress, Pherhunter, Pherburg, and too many others to track. Lotro Featured Player 2011; Beta Player, Former member: Player Council; Lover of all things Lotro; If I can help you...ask.

Quote Originally Posted by whosjgalt View Post
    Uhm, I cannot suggest enough, let your bear tank. Paper tigers die easily. As an LM with over 9 months played time (/played), I urge you to consider this... we are not good tanks. A good warden can take any number of mobs, but tanking as an LM is fraught with danger.
    Did you happen to see that SOME was capitalized? I know which mobs I can tank and which I can not. We all know you have 9 months played. That's like saying a r14 player in the moors is good because he's r14. Time invested does not necessarily mean skill acquired.
    Irin r8 Hunter // Arngar r8 Burg // Akthuri r15 LM // Vishus r5 Captain // Curad r11 Mini < RETIRED // ACTIVE > Ursamajor Beorn // Babayaga LM // Kleptomania Burg // (Anor)

Did you happen to see that SOME was capitalized? I know which mobs I can tank and which I can not. We all know you have 9 months played. That's like saying a r14 player in the moors is good because he's r14. Time invested does not necessarily mean skill acquired.
    You have been playing for many years, and this forum is for tips for new LMs. Thus, I just don't get it; was that a tip? Should they try to tank? Additionally, I was unaware I am so nefarious that people know my /played time, thank you for that notice. Moreover, please...please, don't bother with ad hominem attacks; it is truly a wasted effort and you should know better. It is far better that new LMs learn to use their Bear or a Guard/Warden... to tank; don't you agree?
    Pherenn, Phermin, Pherkeeper, Phertain, Pherhuntress, Pherhunter, Pherburg, and too many others to track. Lotro Featured Player 2011; Beta Player, Former member: Player Council; Lover of all things Lotro; If I can help you...ask.

It is far better that new LMs learn to use their Bear or a Guard/Warden... to tank; don't you agree?
    I would suggest otherwise. If the bear/Guard/Warden gets taken out (and I've seen it happen), that LM now has any number of angry mobs to contend with. If they don't know how to handle them all, they're up a certain creek with no paddle. The best solution is to teach both tanking (or as much 'tanking' as can be done with a LM) and how to use pets, so that they have tips for any eventuality.

Quote Originally Posted by TheStrongLance View Post
    I would suggest otherwise. If the bear/Guard/Warden gets taken out (and I've seen it happen), that LM now has any number of angry mobs to contend with. If they don't know how to handle them all, they're up a certain creek with no paddle. The best solution is to teach both tanking (or as much 'tanking' as can be done with a LM) and how to use pets, so that they have tips for any eventuality.
    With all due respect, if your guard/warden gets taken out, you won't have to worry about LM tanking as you are dead too At lower levels, pets can/will die, but that is their role (the bear), i.e. to tank. Additionally, there are different foods you can give you pet to be more hearty, and this can help immensely to keep them alive. Moreover, an LM can pass morale/heals to the pet to assist in keeping them up. An LM's role is difficult (to play) as we are so versatile, but a good LM will make the difference in staying alive in any raid/instance/group. I just would not want my LM tanking. When I say this, I usually run 18-22k morale, 8k power, and 52-55k tac mastery, so I am often one of the last men standing; until the tank dies. After that... it's about 3 seconds more until I am too , lol. See you in the rez circle.
    Last edited by whosjgalt; Dec 27 2013 at 07:56 AM.

Johnara: I apologize, but respectfully, I must disagree. Pherenn, my main, a Lvl 85 LM has almost 11k morale, 7k will and 35k tac mastery. Lms simply cannot take hits and should not be 'tanking,' nor should our pets unless we are soloing. We have tanks with heavy armor for that purpose. The spirit pet is not for tanking at all; it is a healing pet to add additional healing to the raid or group (or indeed, the LM). However, usually, with enough will/fate (tac mastery is based primarily on Will and regen/crits heavily based on fate) our water lore provides plenty of self-healing. The LM is an incredibly versatile class but to use a spirit pet to try to tank, in my opinion, is a quick way to die. So, as others have stated above, use the Bear to tank...if solo; if you are in a group or raid, let the tanks... tank. Pherenn
    11K MORALE AND 7K WILL !?! What armour/jewellery u have equiped?!?

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNARA View Post
    You have not that ring with 4k will?
    Ich bin kein Deutscher, sorry für Grammatik.
    English isn't my native language, sorry for mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNARA View Post
    I play almost every night after 10pm est on Vilya, so you are welcome to inspect me for my build. However, I just realized I misstated, I did not mean will, I meant 8k power. Please forgive my error. We used to be able to inspect each other's gear out of game, but I do not know where that functionality is anymore...sorry.
    Last edited by whosjgalt; Dec 27 2013 at 07:57 AM.

1. Turn on auto-loot
    2. Summon Pet and set to Aggressive
    3. Walk around until your bags are full.
    4. Sell at vendor and repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Karimi View Post
    1. Turn on auto-loot
    2. Summon Pet and set to Aggressive
    3. Walk around until your bags are full.
    4. Sell at vendor and repeat.
    And mez a foe if faced with more than one, just in case you can't handle the extra DPS or interruptions, etc
    Hitchens(r9 warg), Glasgow(R9 LM) Brandywine server.
    I fought alongside Silverest & Wuffles on Gladden when LOTRO began, nowadays on Brandwyne's PvP

Additionally, I was unaware I am so nefarious that people know my /played time, thank you for that notice. Moreover, please...please, don't bother with ad hominem attacks; it is truly a wasted effort and you should know better.
    The /played is in your signature. You're hardly that popular that I would otherwise even notice.

It is far better that new LMs learn to use their Bear or a Guard/Warden... to tank; don't you agree?
    I think they should learn to play the class to be able to deal with every situation they could possibly encounter. A well-timed root gives a healer time to rez a tank (per the situation described above).
    Irin r8 Hunter // Arngar r8 Burg // Akthuri r15 LM // Vishus r5 Captain // Curad r11 Mini < RETIRED // ACTIVE > Ursamajor Beorn // Babayaga LM // Kleptomania Burg // (Anor)

The /played is in your signature. You're hardly that popular that I would otherwise even notice.

I think they should learn to play the class to be able to deal with every situation they could possibly encounter. A well-timed root gives a healer time to rez a tank (per the situation described above).
    ~Rank 11 Loremaster, Arkenstone~

~Rank 14 Warg, Arkenstone~

How new we talking about?

To get a good feel for how well you can do as a new LM, when doing say Epic (Vol I Book 2) instances (at or near level) that can be group or solo, opt for the GROUP version. Weathertop is much more challenging and you might actually have to work a bit in the Augumar one. You will definitely learn crowd control, mob priority and pet use.

I am a casual player who plays (mostly solo):
    Blue (Human) level 102 (Pet usage: Mostly use bog lurker, but I ran Moria before those were around with a polar cub)
    Red/Yellow (Elf) level 50 (Lynx is my go-to pet. Red line is beneficial for it I think. I also use the lurker and sometimes bear.) If I get overwhelmed and my lynx dies, I will summon a bog-lurker for dps or a bear to pull aggro (if mez on cool down...so I can escape?, sorry pets...)

After playing the blue line for so long, I am now raising a red line LM. My goodness can they destroy things. Blue line, you just have to be patient and let the pets do all the heavy lifting.
    MY red line LM uses the pet mostly for distraction...then...BOOM (lightning)...or...WHOOOSH (fire)....
    Still tinkering with the yellow line but it would seem yellow is better in groups.
    Kinships: Fifth Star Vagabonds on Crickhollow (Dotswith); Random Access on Arkenstone (Dottiel)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5