We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: Feedback: New Player Tips for Lore-masters

Quote Originally Posted by wowisdead View Post
    Hello Dev's and GM's.

I just started playing on Friday, the only thing that I want to suggest is the cool downs on 3 things be shorter.

my bad I had somehting on this line about blinding flash, then I realized Burning Embers is a dot and I was usiing it wrong.

Test Of Will - really a hole minute, come on... ( I still stand by this )

and now, the melee attacks...

Why the hell does a squishy have an AOE melee attack ? reduce the CD on melee and make them single target only ( or at least make the aoe worth it when im getting mobbed and all those interupts are preventing me from casting this swpie does NOTHING at least add a push back effect) or give a swipe type of attack to our pet I mean honestly , a melee aoe on class that stacks everything else but morale? Hey guys let me pull aggro ill be fine gandalph said so.
    You started playing on friday, ok take a deep breath - it does get easier. Isn't staff sweep a level 30 skill. If you leveled to 30 since then congrats, but slow down and learn your skills. LM is an advanced class, you have a lot of tools to deal with situations. Cooldowns will get reduced once you start getting class traits.

A year ago at this time LM didn't have staff sweep, so don't kick the gift horse to hard. We only had one melee attack. I personally like that its AOE, plus it gives me power back.

LM is a pretty decent class and very fun to play. I have way more gripes about my warden than my LM. I pretty much don't have any about the class. I'm not saying its perfect just that compared to some other problems that other classes have, LM is just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterion View Post
    You started playing on friday, ok take a deep breath - it does get easier. Isn't staff sweep a level 30 skill. If you leveled to 30 since then congrats, but slow down and learn your skills. LM is an advanced class, you have a lot of tools to deal with situations. Cooldowns will get reduced once you start getting class traits.
    Thanks and yeah I power leveled this class is so much fun.

I read over this thread in the last few days and have really gotten the mechanics of the class down and the CD's really aren't as bad as I first starting complaining about when all the tools are used right. From reading the threads here and watching some youtube videos im now able to go thru Agamur with little trouble. I cant wait to level more and after making it this far and really starting to enjoy the class Im going to be spending some on a subscription its so worth it.

My favorite new thing to do is send my lynx ( AWESOMEPAWS ) out to gank a mob while I cast Light of the Rising Dawn, while the mobs stunned I cast Burning embers to slow him when he comes at me while im casting cracked earth, then I put my pet on flank and spank mode and kite around loling untill its rooted. This worked great against the Elite trolls and now in troll shaws cause i dont have the expansions I just grind on animals for the xp Its fun!!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/132130000000908d5/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Cool, glad you got things figured out a bit. You'll enjoy VIP, rest XP is nice but they way you level I doubt you'll even ever see the blue bar. You might be able to replay the epic quests daily for xp as well. There are pools in most major hubs that you can use to replay epic quests. Might be worth a try.

Cool, glad you got things figured out a bit. You'll enjoy VIP, rest XP is nice but they way you level I doubt you'll even ever see the blue bar. You might be able to replay the epic quests daily for xp as well. There are pools in most major hubs that you can use to replay epic quests. Might be worth a try.
    I always wondered what those pools were, Ill have to try it, last time I seen one in bree it said I couldnt use it but that was before I even did a epic quest. thanks for the advice

I got the-25% induction trait, now I have to work on getting that trait filled out. Faster casting is going to be so much better.

edit - spelling
    Last edited by wowisdead; Apr 28 2011 at 03:04 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/132130000000908d5/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Mael5trom View Post
    Don't be afraid to get into Melee range. You have a staff (and a sword) for good reason, they can add up to quite a bit of damage (check your auto-attacks, make sure they are enabled on any skill use in your combat options.) You are squisher early on, so be careful with this one, but don't be afraid to get in there and whack away in between tactical spells.

Bonus tip - learn to use your stuns to reduce your incoming damage (stunned mob does no damage, interrupting special skills reduces damage) and to allow you to get longer induction skills off, especially against multiple mobs.
    You can have a sword? I must have missed this...

The trait "Sword and Staff" lets you dual wield a one-handed sword and a staff (two-handed). It gives Lore-Master's a strong Melee option. Of course, you have to debuff your targets by the time they reach you or they'll squish you like a bug.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0100001dc84b/signature.png]Bogwitch[/charsig]

I am very new to being a lore master but i already have some skills that are favorites, when i am taking on more than one mob aka being reckless and aggroing 2 other mobs i didn't take the time to look for lol. I use blinding flash to stun one to give me and my loyal bear time to kill the other first, then i hit em with everything i have got. Cracked Earth being one of my favorites and you can't use burning embers too much imo lol...

I have not really played casters in the past, i am more of an up close and personal hack and slash kind of girl but i am so glad i gave this class a try...
    [center][color="#FF00FF"]~ Check Out My Page For Blog Entries & Screenies! ~[/color]
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/132130000000bef67/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [color="#FFA500"]Freeps: Katyana - Lore Master | Annaleese - Champion | Annalyn - Hunter | Llyssa - Rune Keeper[/color]
    [/center]

Quote Originally Posted by Katyana View Post
    I am very new to being a lore master but i already have some skills that are favorites, when i am taking on more than one mob aka being reckless and aggroing 2 other mobs i didn't take the time to look for lol. I use blinding flash to stun one to give me and my loyal bear time to kill the other first, then i hit em with everything i have got. Cracked Earth being one of my favorites and you can't use burning embers too much imo lol...

I have not really played casters in the past, i am more of an up close and personal hack and slash kind of girl but i am so glad i gave this class a try...
    You can also turn the option off for the pet to attack your target so pet has 1 mob, 1 mob is mez'd and you deal with a third. Or just let your pet grab aggro on room, grab loot or whatever for quest and run out. Or mez one mob run away from rest til they reset - go back to mez'd mob and only it will come after you. There are a lot of options to handling a fight with multiple mobs. Have fun!

You can also turn the option off for the pet to attack your target so pet has 1 mob, 1 mob is mez'd and you deal with a third. Or just let your pet grab aggro on room, grab loot or whatever for quest and run out. Or mez one mob run away from rest til they reset - go back to mez'd mob and only it will come after you. There are a lot of options to handling a fight with multiple mobs. Have fun!
    I didn't think of that, will give it a try, thanks!.
    [center][color="#FF00FF"]~ Check Out My Page For Blog Entries & Screenies! ~[/color]
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/132130000000bef67/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [color="#FFA500"]Freeps: Katyana - Lore Master | Annaleese - Champion | Annalyn - Hunter | Llyssa - Rune Keeper[/color]
    [/center]

If you conjur stun immunity 'after' whistling for a horse/goat you apply it as you mount giving you just that little bit of extra SI time whilst mounted. Every little bit helps with all those freakin wargies running around.

Another tip: The 'Howl' emote rocks! and bagpipes don't

Zub
    Last edited by ZiggyWiggy; May 27 2011 at 08:51 AM.

I love your name Ziggy!.....

Thanks for all of the tips, i am sure they will come in handy as i level
    [/center]

The Lore-Master class is like playing chess. You can plan several moves in advance, and you can also use moves to set up others. It is def an advanced class. Here is a nice combo for the early LM. (lvl16+).

Test of Will>Power drain>cracked earth>Staff strike>Blinding flash>{{reposition your character}}>Burning Embers>any...

So why this combo? Test of will has a long induction time which makes it hard to pull off in a fight, it also gives a short stun. That short stun is your window to drain the mobs power. A mob with no power is not as big a threat. Only use power drain until their power is gone then move your character to break the induction (which is long). Now use cracked earth. By this time your mob is getting close to you because you probably aggro'd it away from your pet. You can used staff strike if it is, or just go straight to blinding flash. why? Because it buys you time to reposition yourself and collect your wits. Then just attack with any thing you want. Don't worry about breaking blinding flash. YOU WANT TO! The mob will be rooted from cracked earth (which takes a few seconds to root them in place).

Now you are fighting a powerless, immobile mob. Debuff and destroy!

If found this combo to be quite awesome early game.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c21400000008e1f6/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

I know this question has been ask before and i cant find the thread, but i dont feel like making a new thread i'd rather used threads that are present.

Which Setting, Gem and Rune you guys recommend for me.. considering i'm building a dps book and i would prefer relics which increases my dps capability.

Below are the Setting, Gem and Runes which i consider using and i'm open to any opinion and suggestion:

Setting: Extraordinary Setting of ending
    +7.5 devastated magnitude
    +520 melee, range and tact crit
    +114 in-combat morale regen
    (setting i usually use is Gold setting of Precision )

Gem: This is the part where i'm lost ;D
    but i do have the old Gem which is : Moonstone Gem of the sundering sea which gives;
    +15fate
    +15will
    +960 tact offence

Rune: i totally have no idea here.. but it seems like extraordinary rune of power appeals most to me ;D

By the way my stats are (these are without book equipped):
    Tact O: 7170
    Tact C: 1906
    please give me your feedback and advice thx ;D

Please, for the love of all things holy...release your pets, at least when you go into a town (towns are pretty much safe zones, so you don't have to worry about getting attacked), or, if you just HAVE to have your pet in town, then let it go when you go into a building. Buildings can get crowded enough as it is without bears, ravens, and other animals tailing after their LM. (The same applies to Captains and their allies, but that's another forum). Combat animals are the most troublesome, particularly bears (because they're so large) and ravens (because they're noisy). I haven't really had any experience with other pets, but the same rule applies to lynx and any other combat animals.

I know you might really want to show off your animal to other players, but, please...if you HAVE to show it off, at the very least, don't do it in a building. Please be courteous to other players.

Quote Originally Posted by ElenaBlackraven View Post
    Please, for the love of all things holy...release your pets, at least when you go into a town (towns are pretty much safe zones, so you don't have to worry about getting attacked), or, if you just HAVE to have your pet in town, then let it go when you go into a building. Buildings can get crowded enough as it is without bears, ravens, and other animals tailing after their LM. (The same applies to Captains and their allies, but that's another forum). Combat animals are the most troublesome, particularly bears (because they're so large) and ravens (because they're noisy). I haven't really had any experience with other pets, but the same rule applies to lynx and any other combat animals.

I know you might really want to show off your animal to other players, but, please...if you HAVE to show it off, at the very least, don't do it in a building. Please be courteous to other players.
    So having my bear sit on the forge master in 21st hall while I'm crafting isn't helpful to everyone else? Can't wait for giant auroch to park on NPCs. I don't dismiss pets b/c if I leave town and forget to summon them I get annoyed. Its definitely a me problem. Also, I don't park my animals on NPCs - but I do chuckle when others do it.

Quote Originally Posted by ElenaBlackraven View Post

I can't wait till the Prancing Pony becomes the Prancing Aurochs Barn!

Maybe there will be a deed for collecting Aurochs chips.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0100001dc84b/signature.png]Bogwitch[/charsig]

Hi there!
    I've been playing a Lore-Master recently, and I'm loving the class. I'm currently at level 19 yet, though.

I'm doing fine playing solo. I love how the pet AI is smart enough to not attack targets that are CC'd (my biggest fear upon starting a LM was that I'd have to micromanage that). I love how, if I mistakenly end aggroing an entire camp full of mobs, I can still manage to win due to the sheer amount of Crowd Control I have. I also love how any fight against a single level-appropriate opponent is pretty much guaranteed to be a win, since I can chain CCs forever if needed.

I haven't played in a Fellowship yet, though, and I'm approaching the level for Great Barrows now. So I have a few quick questions:

What should I expect in instances as a low level Lore-Master?
    Should I bother using Blinding Flash in trash mob pulls, or will players disregard those and just try to burst everything down, quickly breaking the CC?
    Also, and as a more direct question, I notice that Fire-Lore and Wind-Lore pulls aggro. While in an instance, can I use those skills without fear of pulling mobs to me, after the tank has initiated a battle?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Ellye; Oct 03 2011 at 12:48 PM.

Your first experience will be that if you take aggro you will pretty much die. LM at such a low level has low morale and mitigation and can die with a few attacks from a mob in GB. You should always help clean those nasty ticking diseases that stun for 15s and drain full power at all times and also the -vitality ones from the tank.

Now about the lore spells, you surely have noticed that Sop:command doesn't gain the mob's attention. You can use that on unaware mobs without second thought, but! firelore and windlore will engage a mob in battle but do not actually create any threat. So what you do is throw Sop:command on mobs before battle and once your tank engages the mobs throw the lore debuffs.

Another word of advice regarding FS, especially in instances: keep your pet on passive mode, so it won't start fighting on it's own. It won't be the first time a loose pet causes a wipe by agroeing too many mobs. Make sure it attacks when you want it to attack, and that it attacks the right mob
    The Raven is very good for Great Barrows: it gives Shadow defence to all FS members, even by just hovering close to you.
    Good luck and have fun.
    [url=http://www.siglaunch.com/sigs/index.php][img]http://www.siglaunch.com/sigs/lotro/1/1/9/6/2/111962ZuCGH.png[/img][/url]

[I]Courage is not the absence of fear, but knowing there is something more important than being afraid.[/I]

New Lore-Masters don't often realize that some of the actions on your pet's command bar can be Right-clicked, which will highlight that button with a shimmering box. The pet will then automatically perform that action on its own every chance it gets, without having to be told to. You can turn this back off by R-clicking it again.

I believe that you can also assign most pet commands to hotkeys from the options menu, but haven't done that myself.

Many of the posts here talk about using legendary or capstone class traits (including dual-wielding with a sword) but those are options only for higher level Lore Masters... don't think much into them until you're at least level 40.

Quote Originally Posted by abukia222 View Post
    I know this question has been ask before and i cant find the thread, but i dont feel like making a new thread i'd rather used threads that are present.

Which Setting, Gem and Rune you guys recommend for me.. considering i'm building a dps book and i would prefer relics which increases my dps capability.
    Sorry I can't help. I assume you're talking about an advanced level book and the legendary Items system.

Since this is a beginner's thread, I can recommend a guide on YouTube about the Legendary Items system for new Lore-masters.

The videos are by Dongraman (now known as iinferno on the Elendilmir server [dookie123 on the forums]);

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNwFi...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAkAC...eature=related

* At first the Legendary Items system baffled me. The Legendary Items Guide was not helpful. I thought about it for a while, watched these videos a few times, and spoke to others about LI. And then I got a basic idea of what to do with an LI staff as well as books, leveling them up and then assigning points.
    Last edited by bb-15; Nov 09 2011 at 10:46 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/082070000001c22fb/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

This is such an invaluable thread for new Lore-masters!

I'm a total newbie too, but I would like to add my tip for new LMs and that is to keep going over these tips from time to time as you level.

I read the tips when I first chose the class and I was confused to say the least. As I started playing the class a few things became clear and as I read through them again today, even more made sense. No doubt I'll be back again in my mid-20s to see what else has fallen into place!

This class is like no other I've ever played and as amazing as LOTRO is, it just makes it even more amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbins View Post
    This class is like no other I've ever played and as amazing as LOTRO is, it just makes it even more amazing!
    Yep, a well-trained and well-geared Lore-master truelly rocks!
    [url=http://www.siglaunch.com/sigs/index.php][img]http://www.siglaunch.com/sigs/lotro/1/1/9/6/2/111962ZuCGH.png[/img][/url]

[I]Courage is not the absence of fear, but knowing there is something more important than being afraid.[/I]

AW: Feedback: New Player Tips for Lore-masters

Ya really hve to wait, before you ate good, but then you can deafeat your group very good.

Learn how to use your pets ability's. Don't just pick 1 pet and only use it regardless the situation. Each pet has its bonuses. Ravens are amazing against ranged fighters, offer a fellow wide mit, buff and long fights thanks to there flank rate. ( On that note learn how to use flanks. Flanks are usually what can tun a impossible fight into a 'oh hey I beat it with half health fight') Bears are good in groups in case something gets past the main tank and their shatter arms ability is good at debuffing the enemy's defense against your melee fellows. Lynx is good for burst damage and good when running PAST mobs. So you still have a pet that can help you if something aggros but it's not being stupid and getting seen by everything you try to avoid thanks to being in stealth.

I have one more: Master each skill as it comes. Don't dismiss any skill as 'useless' Lore masters are frail and will need all the tools in their arsenal.What seems pointless now wont be in another 10 levels. Don't wait till level 25 (like I did) to decide to start trying to learn all your moves. It usually ends badly in battle and its just a lot of effort to memorize 20 skills you haven't used till then.
    Last edited by Reneko; Mar 31 2012 at 03:40 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast