We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 86
  1. #51
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,456
    Quote Originally Posted by Macroscian View Post
    Is this a wish of yours? I missed that news if it's news because it's news to me.
    Temporary relaxation of naming rules only:

    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...58#post7460158

  2. #52
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    303
    I haven't yet decided which server to choose, RP or not, because I still have some doubts about RP servers. I believe this is perfect place to ask some questions and resolve those doubts, so here is my situation:

    I was never doing RP and never bothered myself with this. But at some point I started to more and more realize how important immersion is and how much you can get from RP and how much more you can get yourself into game. Maybe not full RP in my case, but something in mid way. I think The Witcher 3 was turning point for me, it is great open world game that really creates great environment for those who want to really get into the game world and storyline. I had about 2 moths break from LOTRO after finishing Moria, so I came back to start Mirkwood with changed style of playing. Now what I mean by my "mid-RP" style(I will create few points to make it readable):

    -first of all I have totally changed the way I move my character. I am no longer riding horse at full speed all the time and hitting everything on my road including NPCs like most of players do, I am not jumping over NPCs heads, I am not jumping from 100 meters mountain to cut my road with hope that I won't die after such a jump and I will "only" break every bone in my character's body Now I am using walk mode for very most of time, fully enjoying the world, and use running only in combat or dangerous places when its needed or when I am rushing to somewhere if storyline determines this kind of situation. I am also leaving horse in save place and then back to this place or near it before calling horse back. Generally speaking I started to use realistic and immersive movement, so I won't break anyone's immersion this way.
    -in terms of quests and enjoying storyline not much changed, I was always reading quests in LOTRO and enjoying the story. I am trying to get more advanced interactions with NPCs, but they are very simple i static, so there is not really much I can do.
    -combat is not much changed as well, I am also trying to make in realistic and immersive, but LOTRO's combat system doesn't really help with such endeavors.
    -I am slowly getting myself into emotes, I have bound few already to numeric keyboard. They are really nice and well made, I like them, so I will gladly use them. (btw, is there really no simple "hi" emote, do you have to bow or hail to everyone?)

    That would be more or less it for things that changed in noticeable way and are RP friendly from my side. Now some things that I am not sure about or they are not necessarily acceptable on RP servers. I don't know exact rules, only very general ones, so I want to make sure about some things if I am to choose RP server:

    -I don't plan to pretend that I am some Gondorian Solider or whoever, I am just myself in Middle-Earth world. I am not going to create biography of my character, not going to say whose son I am, where I came from or things like this. Generally I am not going to talk much about my character, like I am not talking much about myself, at least in real life. But I believe that this is not a huge problem, it can be easily considered as part of my style of RP, right?
    -like I said, I want remain myself as much as I can, so I am not really fancy about talking in Middle-Earth language and things like this. I am not that much into lore, I just watched movies and played some games, even though I love this world and story, however basic versions of them I know. Also, my English skills are rather unexceptional as you can see, even some more advanced communication is sometimes a challenge for me, so I need to focus on this and I don't really have any headroom left for thinking on how to say it in Middle-earth language. Correct English speaking is enough of a challenge at the moment.

    Those are two things I worry about, if I didn't forget anything.

    I am really interested in RP servers, because those chat rules (no spam on important channels I guess) and other rules that eliminate possibilities of situations when other players breaks my immersion by doing some stupid things mentioned above, are really promising. But at the same time, I am not fully RP player myself and I am not planning to be the one, so I am posting my doubts there and looking forward for answers.

    Main question is: is my style of playing suitable enough for RP server?

  3. #53
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Unthariel View Post
    I haven't yet decided which server to choose, RP or not, because I still have some doubts about RP servers. I believe this is perfect place to ask some questions and resolve those doubts, so here is my situation:

    I was never doing RP and never bothered myself with this. But at some point I started to more and more realize how important immersion is and how much you can get from RP and how much more you can get yourself into game. Maybe not full RP in my case, but something in mid way. I think The Witcher 3 was turning point for me, it is great open world game that really creates great environment for those who want to really get into the game world and storyline. I had about 2 moths break from LOTRO after finishing Moria, so I came back to start Mirkwood with changed style of playing. Now what I mean by my "mid-RP" style(I will create few points to make it readable):

    -first of all I have totally changed the way I move my character. I am no longer riding horse at full speed all the time and hitting everything on my road including NPCs like most of players do, I am not jumping over NPCs heads, I am not jumping from 100 meters mountain to cut my road with hope that I won't die after such a jump and I will "only" break every bone in my character's body Now I am using walk mode for very most of time, fully enjoying the world, and use running only in combat or dangerous places when its needed or when I am rushing to somewhere if storyline determines this kind of situation. I am also leaving horse in save place and then back to this place or near it before calling horse back. Generally speaking I started to use realistic and immersive movement, so I won't break anyone's immersion this way.
    -in terms of quests and enjoying storyline not much changed, I was always reading quests in LOTRO and enjoying the story. I am trying to get more advanced interactions with NPCs, but they are very simple i static, so there is not really much I can do.
    -combat is not much changed as well, I am also trying to make in realistic and immersive, but LOTRO's combat system doesn't really help with such endeavors.
    -I am slowly getting myself into emotes, I have bound few already to numeric keyboard. They are really nice and well made, I like them, so I will gladly use them. (btw, is there really no simple "hi" emote, do you have to bow or hail to everyone?)

    That would be more or less it for things that changed in noticeable way and are RP friendly from my side. Now some things that I am not sure about or they are not necessarily acceptable on RP servers. I don't know exact rules, only very general ones, so I want to make sure about some things if I am to choose RP server:

    -I don't plan to pretend that I am some Gondorian Solider or whoever, I am just myself in Middle-Earth world. I am not going to create biography of my character, not going to say whose son I am, where I came from or things like this. Generally I am not going to talk much about my character, like I am not talking much about myself, at least in real life. But I believe that this is not a huge problem, it can be easily considered as part of my style of RP, right?
    -like I said, I want remain myself as much as I can, so I am not really fancy about talking in Middle-Earth language and things like this. I am not that much into lore, I just watched movies and played some games, even though I love this world and story, however basic versions of them I know. Also, my English skills are rather unexceptional as you can see, even some more advanced communication is sometimes a challenge for me, so I need to focus on this and I don't really have any headroom left for thinking on how to say it in Middle-earth language. Correct English speaking is enough of a challenge at the moment.

    Those are two things I worry about, if I didn't forget anything.

    I am really interested in RP servers, because those chat rules (no spam on important channels I guess) and other rules that eliminate possibilities of situations when other players breaks my immersion by doing some stupid things mentioned above, are really promising. But at the same time, I am not fully RP player myself and I am not planning to be the one, so I am posting my doubts there and looking forward for answers.

    Main question is: is my style of playing suitable enough for RP server?

    I would say it would be suitable enough for the Landroval server (It's roleplay encouraged, and there are alot of people there with your "RP" style).

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    639
    Quote Originally Posted by Unthariel View Post
    I haven't yet decided which server to choose, RP or not, because I still have some doubts about RP servers. I believe this is perfect place to ask some questions and resolve those doubts, so here is my situation:

    I was never doing RP and never bothered myself with this. But at some point I started to more and more realize how important immersion is and how much you can get from RP and how much more you can get yourself into game. Maybe not full RP in my case, but something in mid way. I think The Witcher 3 was turning point for me, it is great open world game that really creates great environment for those who want to really get into the game world and storyline. I had about 2 moths break from LOTRO after finishing Moria, so I came back to start Mirkwood with changed style of playing. Now what I mean by my "mid-RP" style(I will create few points to make it readable):

    -first of all I have totally changed the way I move my character. I am no longer riding horse at full speed all the time and hitting everything on my road including NPCs like most of players do, I am not jumping over NPCs heads, I am not jumping from 100 meters mountain to cut my road with hope that I won't die after such a jump and I will "only" break every bone in my character's body Now I am using walk mode for very most of time, fully enjoying the world, and use running only in combat or dangerous places when its needed or when I am rushing to somewhere if storyline determines this kind of situation. I am also leaving horse in save place and then back to this place or near it before calling horse back. Generally speaking I started to use realistic and immersive movement, so I won't break anyone's immersion this way.
    -in terms of quests and enjoying storyline not much changed, I was always reading quests in LOTRO and enjoying the story. I am trying to get more advanced interactions with NPCs, but they are very simple i static, so there is not really much I can do.
    -combat is not much changed as well, I am also trying to make in realistic and immersive, but LOTRO's combat system doesn't really help with such endeavors.
    -I am slowly getting myself into emotes, I have bound few already to numeric keyboard. They are really nice and well made, I like them, so I will gladly use them. (btw, is there really no simple "hi" emote, do you have to bow or hail to everyone?)

    That would be more or less it for things that changed in noticeable way and are RP friendly from my side. Now some things that I am not sure about or they are not necessarily acceptable on RP servers. I don't know exact rules, only very general ones, so I want to make sure about some things if I am to choose RP server:

    -I don't plan to pretend that I am some Gondorian Solider or whoever, I am just myself in Middle-Earth world. I am not going to create biography of my character, not going to say whose son I am, where I came from or things like this. Generally I am not going to talk much about my character, like I am not talking much about myself, at least in real life. But I believe that this is not a huge problem, it can be easily considered as part of my style of RP, right?
    -like I said, I want remain myself as much as I can, so I am not really fancy about talking in Middle-Earth language and things like this. I am not that much into lore, I just watched movies and played some games, even though I love this world and story, however basic versions of them I know. Also, my English skills are rather unexceptional as you can see, even some more advanced communication is sometimes a challenge for me, so I need to focus on this and I don't really have any headroom left for thinking on how to say it in Middle-earth language. Correct English speaking is enough of a challenge at the moment.

    Those are two things I worry about, if I didn't forget anything.

    I am really interested in RP servers, because those chat rules (no spam on important channels I guess) and other rules that eliminate possibilities of situations when other players breaks my immersion by doing some stupid things mentioned above, are really promising. But at the same time, I am not fully RP player myself and I am not planning to be the one, so I am posting my doubts there and looking forward for answers.

    Main question is: is my style of playing suitable enough for RP server?

    If you're located in Europe, you should probably choose Laurelin. It's listed as English speaking, but there are many people who speak other languages as well. While it falls under the Roleplaying 'title', Roleplaying in any particular 'style' is NOT REQUIRED. As long as your name appears to fit the lore and you're nice to other RPers or non-RPers you should be fine.

    Landroval is the NA (North American) Roleplay server - though some of those above-mentioned rules don't apply, since Landroval is Roleplay 'Encouraged'. It's English speaking, but there are many folks playing on it that don't speak English well, if at all, and that's fine. Still, it's a great server and just as friendly as the EU RP server is.

    If you have the character slots, I'd suggest creating an alt on both and see which you prefer for community, immersion and fun.

    Hope this helps.

    -Goldrush
    *******

  5. Dec 11 2015, 04:22 AM

  6. #55
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,020
    When I first started LotRO, many years ago, like you, I too did not role play, and indeed, I knew not about it. But as you have said, Middle-earth role play can add so much to the atmosphere and the experience even for those that do not role play. Just think of, for example, seeing in the distance a group of Elves passing through the woods of the Shire; entering the Hall of Fire in the house of Elrond, and finding elvish music and song and dance, and many fair Elves gathered there; walking into the Green Dragon inn of the Shire, and seeing it filled with hobbits merrymaking and their music; when in the fields of Rohan and a group of riders dressed alike/as the Rohirrim rides by you in patrol of their land; these, and many more alike examples, are all times seen on Laurelin, and they are player-characters.

    But as has been said before many times both in and out of the game, though Laurelin is in truth the only Officially RP Supported (english-speaking) server of LotRO, role play is not required, or even expected. You do not have to speak in a certain way. There are many who speak in a different way to match the manner of speech of their characters with that of their people in Middle-earth, but this is usually done during role play. People do not role play at all times. Apart from the restraints of time and the spare hours one has for LotRO and rp, it would be unrealistic to rp everything.

    Feel at ease Unthariel.

    And to answer your question, not only your style would be suitable, but also welcomed. And as one who has played on other servers for a long while aforetime, I feel sure that you would enjoy more your stay in LotRO since you already have that appreciation for a more immersive environment. Very many over the years have left their former servers to come to Laurelin for that environment and to be free at last of names such as ''Ipawnyouhaha'', and ''Fishslapper'' even if they do not role play, and that is well for they at least appreciate and respect role play.

    If you come, feel free to write to me and I will gladly welcome you. My main is Erennor.

  7. #56
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    519
    Quote Originally Posted by Erennor View Post
    Very many over the years have left their former servers to come to Laurelin for that environment and to be free at last of names such as ''Ipawnyouhaha'', and ''Fishslapper'' even if they do not role play, and that is well for they at least appreciate and respect role play.
    sadly this is not true anymore, with the relaxing of naming rules you find such names and worse all the time on Laurelin since the transfers.

    The only difference left between the two servers is the timezone. Pick whichever suits better your zone to enjoy the most people online

  8. #57
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    303
    Quote Originally Posted by Erennor View Post
    When I first started LotRO, many years ago, like you, I too did not role play, and indeed, I knew not about it. But as you have said, Middle-earth role play can add so much to the atmosphere and the experience even for those that do not role play. Just think of, for example, seeing in the distance a group of Elves passing through the woods of the Shire; entering the Hall of Fire in the house of Elrond, and finding elvish music and song and dance, and many fair Elves gathered there; walking into the Green Dragon inn of the Shire, and seeing it filled with hobbits merrymaking and their music; when in the fields of Rohan and a group of riders dressed alike/as the Rohirrim rides by you in patrol of their land; these, and many more alike examples, are all times seen on Laurelin, and they are player-characters.

    But as has been said before many times both in and out of the game, though Laurelin is in truth the only Officially RP Supported (english-speaking) server of LotRO, role play is not required, or even expected. You do not have to speak in a certain way. There are many who speak in a different way to match the manner of speech of their characters with that of their people in Middle-earth, but this is usually done during role play. People do not role play at all times. Apart from the restraints of time and the spare hours one has for LotRO and rp, it would be unrealistic to rp everything.

    Feel at ease Unthariel.

    And to answer your question, not only your style would be suitable, but also welcomed. And as one who has played on other servers for a long while aforetime, I feel sure that you would enjoy more your stay in LotRO since you already have that appreciation for a more immersive environment. Very many over the years have left their former servers to come to Laurelin for that environment and to be free at last of names such as ''Ipawnyouhaha'', and ''Fishslapper'' even if they do not role play, and that is well for they at least appreciate and respect role play.

    If you come, feel free to write to me and I will gladly welcome you. My main is Erennor.
    Thanks for answer. You have resolved all my doubts with this post.

  9. #58
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,020
    Quote Originally Posted by elvenes View Post
    sadly this is not true anymore, with the relaxing of naming rules you find such names and worse all the time on Laurelin since the transfers.

    The only difference left between the two servers is the timezone. Pick whichever suits better your zone to enjoy the most people online
    That draws near to an end. As has been officially stated, the additional naming rules will apply again as they were before from the first day of the new year. Even so, Laurelin has had this additional ruleset since the beginning of LotRO. Therefore, in comparison with other servers at least, such names can still be regarded as rare, or not near for one to say that they are seen all the time.

    As for the time difference, though it is true that there is less activity during the hours US folk play, there are many folk at such times, and even entire (rp at least) kinships; as people have been coming to Laurelin from other servers for years, since 2011 when Turbine took over (and before that too likely enough among the former Codemaster servers).

    And there is also this: purposefully attempting to grief people role playing on Laurelin may lead to an infraction or even a block from the server for repeated cases.

    And apart from these things, in general Laurelin is very different from other servers. One example is the immersive events inspired by the lore.

    There is surely a difference and it is more than one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Unthariel View Post
    Thanks for answer. You have resolved all my doubts with this post.
    I am glad Unthariel.

  10. #59
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    519
    Quote Originally Posted by Erennor View Post
    in comparison with other servers at least, such names can still be regarded as rare, or not near for one to say that they are seen all the time.
    err.. no. starter areas, minas tirith, in between, world chat. everywhere at all times of day.

    but we still have the hope they will remember about it Jan.1st. Until then, we hope

  11. #60
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,020
    Quote Originally Posted by banhorn View Post
    With revisions inbound for the temporary relaxation of rules, it's a good time to consider some edits and also to ask if a forum thread post is the best way to communicate this. Here are some revisions I think would be useful:

    * Promote this post to a web page like the quick-start guides and the community guidelines above. Summarize the policy and link to it from this sticky and add stickies in each RP server's forums, as Errenor suggests above. That would also make it easier to link to it from the launcher or the transfer utility. Hint, hint.

    * The general naming policy link in the article above results in a redirect loop for me; maybe that policy should also be "promoted" to a web page, too.

    * Include the new /world channel in the non-restricted chat channel list.

    * Remove Estel. *sigh* I feel for the FR-RP community since RP is so language-dependent.


    Indeed. I agree with these things Banhorn. And as said before, this thread should be pinned on the forums of the Official RP Supported servers: Laurelin and Belegaer. It is only reasonable, and wise to have this thread about role play on the forums of the two remaining official rp worlds.

    [And indeed, alas for Estel; as I have said before, if there is one closing server I feel the most pity for and understanding in heart and mind, then that is Estel as for them their choice seems harder]

  12. #61
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,020
    Quote Originally Posted by elvenes View Post
    err.. no. starter areas, minas tirith, in between, world chat. everywhere at all times of day.

    but we still have the hope they will remember about it Jan.1st. Until then, we hope
    It is a noticeable difference in contrast to the time before the merges, (for now at least) but do you not take into thought all the players that the long years have brought since the game begun? Laurelin was very well populated even before the transfers started. Therefore such names, in comparison to other servers, are still not as many and as a usual sight as on other worlds. I know this well enough, as I have been on all servers, and on two of them for a long while. Numbers speak on this. It surely is many times more on other servers because these additional naming rules never applied on them and thus players were/are free to have names such as ''Bionicdude'' and do not get a rename. It is the natural cause of the streams of Time and the lack of these rules on the other servers. It is only reasonable and inevitable that there are far more such names on other worlds.

  13. #62
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    13
    Since the consolidation of worlds, will this forum be updated to show which server/worlds support RP? (e.g. I moved to Crickhollow - is it a rollplaying world?)

  14. #63
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    519
    no crickhollow is not a rp server but a normal server, although you may find rp on any server you are. The server tags remain the same as pre transfer, Laurelin and Belegaer RP/DE-RP (role-play and german server rp) Landroval RE (role-play encouraged)

  15. #64
    It's a year later, so I want to re-raise a few issues that still need addressing:

    The current policy does not include the WORLD channel.

    I would suggest when added that it be non-restricted since that is how it's used on Laurelin currently. I would further suggest that LFF and TRADE be reclassified as non-restricted and, if possible, made global given the use of WORLD, a global channel, for those functions much more often than the current regional versions. Advertising conventions have evolved efficient formats and use meta-game data which restricted chat would impede.

    The Estel FR-RP server is still listed, but it was closed as part of the server consolidation.

    The RP Naming Policy is not being enforced as documented.

    After the designated "relaxation" period for server consolidation ended, the policy has continued to not be enforced as documented. If the policy is not going to be enforced as documented, then the policy should be amended. (EDIT: THAT the policy is not being enforced should be documented here regardless of what and when any changes to policy occur.)

    Similar information is now hosted on LOTRO.COM.

    Not all players frequent the forums. I would recommend moving the policy to a regular web page on LOTRO.COM like the guides and that page be referenced here.
    Last edited by banhorn; Jan 14 2017 at 12:13 AM.

  16. #65
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10

    Equality of sexes, in LOTRO roleplay.

    I would like the LOTRO staff's opinion and direct guidelines to what comes to equality/unequality of sexes, in LOTRO gameplay. My question concerns a certain kind of oppression, which I have noted in the roleplaying community, on Laurelin. The following caption is from a discussion on a private platform, outside the game, but directly concerning game, and the roleplaying plots. (I apologize it being so long)

    What is your take on the subject?

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


    B- Today at 6:02 PM
    Let's just actually relate to the books a moment when it comes to that. When it came to the semblence of the main characters for example. And the roles those main characters had. There was only.. What, four? Strong female characters that I could name that truly were given a significant role when it came to any form of conflict.
    Compared to thousands.
    And how Eowyn was so oppressed she had to hide her gender and her identity when it came to riding with the Men of Rohan to Gondor.


    D- Today at 6:02 PM
    My personal opinions, I try to keep to myself, and be as nice and respectful as I can be, to everyone. I certainly don't accomplish it perfectly, but... I try.
    My personal opinions never interfer with my IC ones : thats why many here thinks I'm a ##### !
    :joy:


    Ynel- Today at 6:03 PM
    Beridir... are you trying to say, that there should not be any female PCs in LOTRO? Because...well...we are ALL heroes in that game.


    M- Today at 6:03 PM
    There it was


    B- Today at 6:03 PM
    I don't think that at all, Dee!


    D- Today at 6:03 PM
    @Bryn I know you don't :wink:


    B- Today at 6:04 PM
    I can much more respect someone with strong opinions than someone who's openly malicious. You may be outspoken at times, but I don't get a "mean" vibe from you at all.


    B- Today at 6:04 PM
    I didn't say that at all. :smile: I just find it remarkable at how so many players are able to suddenly depict how their characters became how they are, so trained, so hard. Stalwart warriors, and then suddenly get very upset and call people out, call them wicked people OOC because they are treated as they would be in a high middle ages time frame.
    In an environment such as Lord of the rings
    It just baffles me, that's all


    D- Today at 6:04 PM
    I'm just forthright


    B- Today at 6:05 PM
    Beri, that's kinda why I've shied away from the "female badass" archetype. I have one stablegirl and one huntress, who's only skilled at hunting because she had to feed her family.


    Ynel- Today at 6:05 PM
    And your assumption is, that they would NOT be trained and hard? Or pershaps...just not as trained and hard, comared to you? :stuck_out_tongue:


    B- Today at 6:05 PM
    You're just putting that point to try and add an element of conflict to what I'm saying, because you don't like it one bit But what i've said there, can you honestly. Truly discredit it?
    and if so, can you refer me to a source that would agree with what you'd have to say
    I would be genuinely interested to read into it


    D- Today at 6:07 PM
    @Beridir the Tauriel argument dear !


    B- Today at 6:07 PM
    LOL
    ;D :smile:

    D- Today at 6:07 PM
    Why her ?
    P. Jackson : because we needed female spectators to enjoy the show.


    Ynel- Today at 6:07 PM
    I understand what you are saying. And disagree with it entirely. In fact, if we compared women and men, in the middle-age farming society, the women would be the stronger sex. Physically. Their work was a lot more physical, than the work of men. But that aside... I do not see why you would like to bring the concept to LOTRO at al, because we are, all and every one of us, heroes in that game. And we can, by decision, be just as tough as we like - despite sex or race.
    Your attempt to diminish the female sex in power, in the game environment is a bit of a low blow.


    D- Today at 6:08 PM
    Oh Ynel ... that's not what Beridir is saying at all ...
    :cry:


    Ynel- Today at 6:08 PM
    Then I am really missing what he is saying.


    M- Today at 6:10 PM
    How were their work any more physical than that of men?


    D- Today at 6:10 PM
    We all know that women pwned those lazy ### sitting on our sofa while we work, take care of the kid, the house, do the cleaning, the paperworks
    barks to her man "Get the trash out you lazy lad !!
    smiles


    B- Today at 6:10 PM
    I think you've completely misled yourself to the actual concept of roleplay if i may be honest Ynel. Roleplaying quite literally means you are playing a character role. We're not all heros. By any means, imagine if we all were? What fun would that be? There is a difference between roleplayers who want to live their own fantasies in a medieval timeframe, and then there are those who actually try to stick to the "Lore" that is accepted on a community wide basis so everyone is on the same page. The latter are polite when it comes to it all, the prior are wholly and utterly deluded to their own significance and influence. A lot of us hold a strict tie to "lore" to literally make it a level playing field for everyone, so everyone can have fun. It's just rude to shake that to fit your own agenda.
    ????
    3
    ?
    1

    B- Today at 6:10 PM
    Mad, I'm wondering that, too?
    A figment of your imagination.- Today at 6:11 PM
    o.O


    B- Today at 6:11 PM
    I do agree with that, whole-heartedly, Beridir.
    A figment of your imagination.- Today at 6:12 PM
    and then theres the people who will comepletely disregard anything that could go against them


    B- Today at 6:14 PM
    There is a difference between fan fiction and Canon. The air gets hazy and dusty when people say it can be "interpretted" - In many of the cases that mental wall is there because people cannot look past the social construct of which makes up their lives in the 21st century, compared to a medieval one.
    The very real evidence that there are not very many feminine hero roles in the lord of the rings legendarium is right there, in black and white. Printed on paper.
    Im not saying that because i hate women
    Or i think any less of women.
    I'm saying that because it's the setting we're all agreeing to be a part of by partaking of the community here.


    Ynel- Today at 6:15 PM
    I do not think that "sticking to the lore" is a good excuse to sexism. Especially with so many female characters in the play. By your standard, there shodul be none, for there were extremely few of them in Tolkien's works. And to say, that only representatives of the male gender can be in authority and on the front line, because of the lore, is one way to opress self significance and influence.


    B- Today at 6:15 PM
    And there we go. Sexism, the label.


    D- Today at 6:15 PM
    Ynel ...


    A.- Today at 6:15 PM
    ### am i watching


    B- Today at 6:15 PM
    Love it. lmao


    Ynel- Today at 6:15 PM
    Well what else are you doing here?
    A figment of your imagination.- Today at 6:16 PM
    what the actual #### -.-


    B- Today at 6:16 PM
    Read what I said, all over again. Please.


    D- Today at 6:16 PM
    I'm a woman and I can not agree with you.


    Ynel- Today at 6:16 PM
    I do not understand what you are trying to say
    if not that


    D- Today at 6:17 PM
    @Beridir saying to be simple : we should not have 1000 Eowyn characters in game.
    or kind of


    Ynel- Today at 6:17 PM
    That is sort of silly thing to say


    D- Today at 6:17 PM
    It's not


    B- Today at 6:17 PM
    Role playing within a setting where women were generally expected to be homemakers, wives, mothers, etc does not mean that we believe in misogyny or sexism. It means we accept the canon/lore for what it is, and wish to RP within the setting the game is based upon.
    ?
    3
    If that makes sense.
    ????
    3
    Frankly, I'd probably die if I were expected to stand in a medieval kitchen and birth a dozen kids.
    But if I want to RP in a world where that was expected of most women, then I'm doing a disservice to the story, to act as though that wasn't the norm.


    Ynel- Today at 6:18 PM
    But do we REALLY want to roleplay wives, mothers, etc? I think it is a little too much asked, that we would stick to that, while others can go and be heroes


    B- Today at 6:18 PM
    Ynel, I get what you're saying, believe me. No, that's not what I want, but I'm not RPing myself.
    I'm RP a character of Tolkien's world.


    T- Today at 6:19 PM
    the point is no one should think of themselves as heroes
    A figment of your imagination.- Today at 6:19 PM
    the domestic life isnt my thing for rp but my characters arent heroes
    ????
    2


    T- Today at 6:19 PM
    and its less accepted for women to be one anyway


    D- Today at 6:19 PM
    It's up to anyone to RP what they want ... it's up to anyone to take them seriously according to their standards IG.


    Ynel- Today at 6:19 PM
    Oh my god.. I can't believe this....


    D- Today at 6:19 PM
    I find something weird I RP accordingly


    A- Today at 6:19 PM
    http://www.intellectualtakeout.org/b...ate-lord-rings
    Intellectual Takeout
    Why feminists hate Lord of the Rings
    "...it has been my nightmare that J.R.R. Tolkien would turn out to be the most influential writer of the twentieth century."


    P- Today at 6:19 PM
    Plus it's hard to just -decide- to be a hero, like Frodo never knew he was going to be one, until one day a mysterious old man turned up for a birthday party..
    A figment of your imagination.- Today at 6:20 PM
    lmao aallan XD
    anyway this was quite a pointless argument


    Ynel- Today at 6:20 PM
    You all kwno what I mean. I do nto mean heroes exactly. But equal with one-another


    C- Today at 6:21 PM
    sexist Tolkien???? what happened to Eowyn


    D- Today at 6:21 PM
    Ynel you're confusinG your opinions OOC about our life in the 21th and what should be in Middle Earth(edited)


    Ynel- Today at 6:21 PM
    no...
    A figment of your imagination.- Today at 6:21 PM
    facepalms this is some dumb ####


    D- Today at 6:21 PM
    (grr typos sorry)


    Ynel- Today at 6:21 PM
    I am astonished, at how you can justify yourself stepping back into the medieval ages, just to "stick to he lore".
    I mean, we DO live in the 21st century


    D- Today at 6:22 PM
    who said medieval ?


    A.- Today at 6:22 PM
    JUST STOP YNEL
    PLEASE


    B- Today at 6:22 PM
    Because the lore was based on the Middle Ages?


    D- Today at 6:22 PM
    Ynel ... facepalm


    A- Today at 6:22 PM
    Yes. It was


    A.- Today at 6:22 PM
    our OOC views are different to our toons IC


    B- Today at 6:22 PM
    There are lots and lots and lots of fantasy MMORPG's where women are all manner of warriors and heroes left and right.


    P- Today at 6:22 PM
    facedesk repeatedly
    A figment of your imagination.- Today at 6:22 PM
    ^


    Ynel- Today at 6:23 PM
    Yes, but do we, as players, want to really support that level of unequality in the setting which we play, and which we hope to be fun for all. Atleast I hope it to be.


    B- Today at 6:23 PM
    What have I done? What darkness have I spawned?!?! Ai Eru. The hounds of hell are upon us.


    D- Today at 6:23 PM
    Ok ME is in the 21th century of our world ... bring the M16 AK and all that #### to get rid of Mordor's scums ....


    Ynel- Today at 6:23 PM
    I do not want to feel like I should stick to the role of a home-makes in an online game, just to be accepted by my fellow rolplayers.


    B- Today at 6:23 PM
    Ynel, honey, we aren't supporting inequality by acknowledging the fact that medieval European society had very limited roles for women. Tolkien actually gave them more than that in his writings.


    D- Today at 6:24 PM
    Ynel ? You're misplaced just find another playground for such fights


    C- Today at 6:24 PM
    What is even the problem? Pretty sure there are more female sellswords/fighters ingame than domestic women


    B- Today at 6:24 PM
    What we RP in a fictional medieval fantasy setting does not equal what we live and believe and do OOCly. At least for me.
    ?
    3


    Ynel- Today at 6:24 PM
    I am being perfectly nice here.
    A figment of your imagination.- Today at 6:24 PM
    im with bryn


    T- Today at 6:25 PM
    We may live in the 21st century, but our characters don't.
    ????
    1


    M- Today at 6:25 PM
    Isn't the whole idea of Roleplaying to make a character fitting for a setting you choose to play in? As has been said if one doesn't enjoy the setting to play in there are plenty of other options.



    Ynel- Today at 6:26 PM
    So, you are actually saying,that if I do not want to roleplay a gousewife, I shodul not loreplay on LOTRO?


    S- Today at 6:26 PM
    The most important part to remember is you are playing a -character- in another -world-. Say for example you were pretending to be a character who was historically alive in 13th century England. You wouldn't expect that society to have the same moral standards as we do.
    ????
    2


    A figment of your imagination.- Today at 6:26 PM
    thats not what we are saying


    D- Today at 6:26 PM
    Ynel ... twisting words is not an argument. Sorry.
    A figment of your imagination.- Today at 6:27 PM


    ^


    T- Today at 6:27 PM
    You know for a fact that there's plenty of rpers who aren't housewives.


    C- Today at 6:27 PM
    THERE ARENT EVEN THAT MANY HOUSEWIVES IN THE GAME


    D- Today at 6:27 PM
    That's not what Beridir was saying.


    Ynel- Today at 6:27 PM
    Then I really don't understand what you are saying.


    D- Today at 6:28 PM
    Then you're blind.
    To remain polite.


    T- Today at 6:28 PM
    He's saying we shouldn't have so many soldier-like women in the game. IC.


    Ynel- Today at 6:28 PM
    That's a bit mean thing to say, you know. And extremely unfair, to the female gender. Were it for the lore or not.


    B- Today at 6:29 PM
    Right, let me say this a different way. Alright? I didn't say that -nobody- could be a "hero" i mean. What actually is a "hero"? Is a "hero" someone who thinks he/she's a hero? Or someone that is put into a situation where of which the outcome can determine a heroic characteristic. In a lord of the rings setting, women simply were not exposed to the same environment, to the same degree population wise compared to men.
    I'm not saying that to be sexist
    That's literally how it is set out in writing.


    D- Today at 6:29 PM
    Ynel - Aujourd'hui à 17:28
    That's a bit mean thing to say, you know. And extremely unfair, to the female gender. Were it for the lore or not.
    You're not serious ? -_-


    S- Today at 6:29 PM
    So every fictional setting should bend to 21st century egalitarian standards?

    T- Today at 6:29 PM
    Ynel, Tholorast is heavily racist towards Gondorians. Does that mean i'm a racist in real life?


    A.- Today at 6:29 PM
    ^^^

    T- Today at 6:30 PM
    Who actually cares if it's mean? No one's being hurt.


    Ynel- Today at 6:30 PM
    I am beign told, that because I am a female, I shodul set to playing only certain time of chracters. And avoid playing other types, which are ment for men.
    You don't see anything wrong with this?

    S- Today at 6:31 PM
    Let's censor anything that depicts any kind of unfairness or an ugly side to the human condition?


    T Today at 6:31 PM
    No

    B Today at 6:31 PM
    So to see thousands of Eowyns riding around. Even though Eowyn faced very -real- difficulties when it came to expressing her wishes properly. - She had to completely and utterly beguile everyone she cared for to even ride with the host of Rohan. Note how during the two towers, Theoden says "Bring the Women and Children" to safety?
    That is the norm, that is the social construct of the tolkien legendarium.
    That isnt oppressing you.


    T Today at 6:31 PM
    You can just roll a male character and roleplay a soldier


    Ynel- Today at 6:31 PM
    But I am still expected to go alogn with it?


    T Today at 6:31 PM
    it's just fact that women weren't soldiers


    Ynel- Today at 6:32 PM
    I can't believe this....

    T Today at 6:32 PM
    so it's unrealistic lorewise
    A figment of your imagination.- Today at 6:32 PM
    facepalms ynel i think you should just shut up now before you make youself look more stupid o.o


    T Today at 6:32 PM
    there's about 1000 other roles you can take other than a hero and a housewife

    B Today at 6:33 PM
    Aeg... easy now...

    Ynel- Today at 6:33 PM
    I am still astonished that I would be the only person who sees something amiss here...

    New Messages

    B Today at 6:33 PM
    Ynel, I do see your point. I really do.
    I'm just not sure how else to explain the other side.


    M Today at 6:34 PM
    I'd say the others simply acknowledge the setting they are playing in.
    Last edited by Venaala; May 01 2017 at 03:13 AM.

  17. #66
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    8

    ....serious....

    Ynel... You absolutely *cannot* bend lore to suit modern ideals. You just can't. You ARE NOT your character. IC is NOT THE SAME as OOC. Separate the two... Seriously.
    It is a well known fact that LOTR was written in a much different time period, and the lore is medieval based. Nor am I too pleased about copying and pasting an entire convo from a discord server onto here. However my personal opinions don't matter,neither does anyone else's. You cannot break the lore to suit modern ideals, you just can't. I'm openly gay, so is my character. I'm prepared to deal with people who are ICly rude to him because well, that's what happened post-Christianization in the EU. I'm prepared for that and I understand that IC is not the same as OOC, I can separate the two and don't take offense if people are homophobic IC, because IT'S NOT OOC.
    However if someone harassed me on World chat for being gay, which happens a lot, I've written far too many tickets lately, then by all means. If it's OOC sexism, go ahead. But IC is STRICTLY IC. My Gondorian doctor hates hobbits, doesn't mean I hate short people IRL.
    Even IRL I do not expect everyone to conform to my ideals, nor do I force people to conform to my ideals, like you are trying to do. There is just no logic in 1000 Eowyn's running around. None. All you are doing is picking fights with people in the Discord server and now dragging it into the forums and in game for validation. Please lay off a little and maybe not drag petty little arguments into public? It's not needed and not mature.
    Raevenhart - Loremaster, cook 105. Goldgel - Burglar, weaponsmith 105. Shamear - Hunter, scholar 105. Helmwolf - Captain, metalsmith 105.
    Jaesper - Minstrel, tailor 105. Litdell - Champion 105.

  18. #67
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    8

    Last thing,

    Posting this convo on public forums is a HUGE breach of privacy and should never have happened... :/
    Raevenhart - Loremaster, cook 105. Goldgel - Burglar, weaponsmith 105. Shamear - Hunter, scholar 105. Helmwolf - Captain, metalsmith 105.
    Jaesper - Minstrel, tailor 105. Litdell - Champion 105.

  19. #68
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,604
    Not only this. You also spread these 3071 words over a length of 31 pages or 1565 lines - according to my OpenOffice program. I've never seen such an absurd usage of space in any forum. It might have been some work, but it would have been better if you had removed these empty lines between the actual text. (and changed the names of the 'speakers' while you were at that. There is a Search and Replace function which works great in such cases)

    I don't know where you are coming from, but that is not the way forums are used.


    Greetings, Polymachos
    Räuberhöhle auf Belegaer, Breelandsiedlung, Ochsbott, Lange Straße 5. Vorsicht, Fallen!
    Awkward Anomalities Arena in Breeland Homesteads, 6 Long Street, Ersward (Landroval) - Elderslade under attack!

    Scared people tend to follow the flock, no matter which shepherd it has

  20. #69
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    266
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymachos View Post
    Not only this. You also spread these 3071 words over a length of 31 pages or 1565 lines - according to my OpenOffice program. I've never seen such an absurd usage of space in any forum. It might have been some work, but it would have been better if you had removed these empty lines between the actual text. (and changed the names of the 'speakers' while you were at that. There is a Search and Replace function which works great in such cases)

    I don't know where you are coming from, but that is not the way forums are used.


    Greetings, Polymachos
    Not the first time Ynel react like a douchebag. Ynel have several times attacked other players way of rp in the World chat and even added negative comments about other players in his ingame bio. If you ask me, the GM should concidering perma ban his account.

  21. #70
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10
    The log has been edited to a shorter form. Pardon, that it still takes quite alot of space.

    Names are turned anonymous, by commentors and partaker's opinion and wish.

    There is no privacy breach here. The platform and the discusion is open to all Laurelin players. It was announced on Laurelin Archives ( http://laurelinarchives.org/noticeboard/breetown ) and you can join it by clicking this link -> ( https://discordapp.com/invite/4UsnYnN ) All Laurelin players are invited. Thus, everyone is able to, and even welcomed to, join in and read it, and it is not by any means private material. The said conversation happened in the "general" tab on that platform.

    I am hereby asking the LOTRO Roleplayer guide, and it's leading maneuvers, for a second opinion about the sex issue.

    I would ike to point out, that those who reacted, in the posts above, were those who partaked in that conversation. It is easily understood, that they feel defensive about it. I have also received alot of thankyou and positive comments in the game itself, for bringing up these issues. And I have no problem with doing so, with my own name.
    Last edited by Venaala; May 01 2017 at 10:31 AM.

  22. #71
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    5
    You don't make yourself look any smarter or justified by posting the chatlog in which you repeatedly twisted words and ignored perfectly polite discussion to rather cause conflict.

    Sadly SJW's didn't exist in Middle-Earth. I recommend finding another platform to socialise with other people, because that's clearly what you seek.

  23. #72
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,430
    Quote Originally Posted by Venaala View Post
    It was announced on Laurelin Archives

    No, it was not.

    The Laurelin Archives is a platform created to enhance the In Character (IC) experience of the game. Since views on roleplaying are as diverse as the characters and players of Laurelin we have opted to keep the portal as 'in character' as possible. OOC posts are always removed when found. If you have any OOC issues to convey to other players please do contact them directly or use the LOTRO Official Forums.


    - The Laurelin Archives Webteam
    Amorey - Bard of the Shire

  24. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by Venaala View Post
    The log has been edited to a shorter form. Pardon, that it still takes quite alot of space.

    Names are turned anonymous, by commentors and partaker's opinion and wish.

    There is no privacy breach here. The platform and the discusion is open to all Laurelin players. It was announced on Laurelin Archives ( http://laurelinarchives.org/noticeboard/breetown ) and you can join it by clicking this link -> ( https://discordapp.com/invite/4UsnYnN ) All Laurelin players are invited. Thus, everyone is able to, and even welcomed to, join in and read it, and it is not by any means private material. The said conversation happened in the "general" tab on that platform.

    I am hereby asking the LOTRO Roleplayer guide, and it's leading maneuvers, for a second opinion about the sex issue.

    I would ike to point out, that those who reacted, in the posts above, were those who partaked in that conversation. It is easily understood, that they feel defensive about it. I have also received alot of thankyou and positive comments in the game itself, for bringing up these issues. And I have no problem with doing so, with my own name.
    I would like to say it is not an open server to anyone who plays Laurelin, merely anyone who is a roleplayer on Laurelin. I would request you not add an open link to the channel on open forums that are not Laurelin Roleplayer exclusive. Thank you.

  25. #74
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    540
    Removing the names at the start of each post has not improved upon the privacy of the players involved in the conversation, as there are still plenty of user/player names scattered through the posts. Please remove ALL names from the post, and condense it into a more coherent format, if you wish to leave it up. It would make more sense to simply state your concerns about sexism in LOTRO, from your own viewpoint, rather than copy/paste a huge conversation that occurred on Discord. This makes it appear as though you have a personal vendetta against the people/players who disagreed with you, and that does not reflect well on you.

    I do appreciate the effort. Thank you.
    Owner - Laurelin RP Group Discord server - https://discord.me/laurelinrp

  26. #75
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    405
    I am at a slight loss what that convo is doing in this thread. Are you trying to garner support from SSG employees so they will write a rule which then shall force roleplayers to interact with a character they might not deem suitable to their own roleplay ideas and ideals?

    Rather make an independent thread, asking people how they feel about this issue (but I'd strongly suggest to leave convos like the above out). I certainly would be happy to contribute to such a thread, and as a female dirt biker and anti-feminist (OOC), I am sure I could add some fun confusion! :P ^_^

 

 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload