We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon

Exclamation Transcript: LOTRO Developer Twitter Chat - Thursday February 21,2013

HI everyone! Welcome to our Twitter #devchat! We know you’ve got a lot of questions and we have a lot of answers. #LOTRO

Because we had so many great questions submitted from the forums, we're starting a little early today. #lotro

Remember,when you send a question, make sure you use #LOTRO and #DEVCHAT so we don’t miss it.

Answers will include the #LOTRO tag, but not the #DEVCHAT tag so we don’t miss questions sent to us.

If you want a list of devs present and what they do, check our post on the forum.
    (http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...3-00PM-Eastern )

We'll be posting a full transcript of this chat in the official forums. You can find it here:
    (http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...bruary-21-2013)

One note, we’ll be as open as possible with our answers, but please be aware that development priorities are prone to shifting. #LOTRO
    Our answers reflect our current plans and expectations, but are subject to change. #LOTRO

Let's begin... #LOTRO

Q1 Jchudz - Mostly I'd like to get a straightforward answer as to why the whole power/fate revamp in u10 was implemented in the first place.
    A1a Sure thing. Standardizing power and revising fate, in combination, give us more options for how we create rewards and items.
    A1b The changes also allow us to more accurately/clearly cost abilities. A lot of the pre-standardized costing was all over the place.
    A1c In order to properly compare skills and items, we needed to get closer to a consistent standard on these stats.
    A1d All of this in sum will make the class revisions easier to both implement on our end and understand on your end (I hope!). -HoarseDev

Q2 Milithion - Any plans to extend the area of the Ettenmoors? #LOTRO
    A2 Jinjaah - None at the moment. #LOTRO

Q3 MRWarg - Are the major class revamps being made with PvMP in mind? #LOTRO
    A3 Jinjaah - There are certainly some pvmp considerations being made in the revamp. #LOTRO

Q4 Peter_Pan – Do you have any plans to implement a system that allows master looter to be used in combination with remote looting? #LOTRO
    A4 JWB - No plans as of now. We're pretty happy overall with how remote looting is working in instances. #LOTRO

Q4 Ehil - Are you planning to phase in any new legacy for our LIs contributing to new skills during class-revamp? #LOTRO
    A4 Jared – We will be looking at the existing Legacies as well as adding new legacies where needed, going forward. #LOTRO

Q5 Fidzy_the_humble - When will we be able to send multiple items in a single mail?
    A5 We’re looking at better ways to transfer items more efficiently. Multiple items in mails is on that list but we’ve got a lot to evaluate. - HoarseDev

Q6 Vulcan583 -Any plans to rework the Lore master’s blue line? #LOTRO
    A6 Jared – All lines of all classes are being examined. #LOTRO

Q7 Aleatar - With the future class revamp, are there any plans to make the trait system more determinant in the classes. #LOTRO
    A7 Jared - Absolutely. We want the selection of a trait line to be vital part of the player’s progression and as such, each
    A7a line should be distinct and exciting. #LOTRO

Q8 Tangaar -Is there going to be some revamp on BA skills cool-down or any kind of revamp? #LOTRO
    A8 Jinjaah - We feel the black arrow is in a great spot compared to some other creep classes at the moment. #LOTRO

Q9 Tirian_Hammerfist - Any info that can be spared about the Player Council would be very welcome! #LOTRO
    A9 Sapience – We’re targeting early March to unveil the full details. We’ve incorporated a lot of your feedback into our plans. #LOTRO

Q10 SabrielofLorien - What types of ideas are there for solo players to have end game play similar to what is offered to the raiding community? #LOTRO
    A10 JWB - Hytbold was much more succesful than we anticipated. We'll continue to explore things like that and other options to give everyone something compelling, engaging, and rewarding to do at cap. #LOTRO

Q11 Oldin - Any thoughts on going back to the old system of looting? #LOTRO
    A11 JWB - Just one *preps the Dana Carvey voice* Not Gonna Do It. #LOTRO

Q12 Squelcher - Sapience, will there be PVMP representatives from both factions on the Player Council? #LOTRO
    A12 Sapience – Yes. Part of the application will ask for your class and play preferences. #LOTRO

Q13 YageerSilverscale - While developing Draigoch's lair the dev team mentioned a CJ revamp. Do you still have plans on that? #LOTRO
    A13 JWB - Yes. Once the dust has settled from the class updates and we're prepping content these will have more relevance in I'm hoping to get this done. #LOTRO

Q14 AlmericITA - Since we have brand new servers, will be any chance for inter-server activities? Shared PvMP zone, Shared Instance finder #LOTRO
    A14 Jared – Cross Server is something we would like to do, but there are a lot of technical hurdles that must be overcome. #LOTRO

Q15 Fidzy_the_humble -Will we be able to send mail to people on other server?
    A15 No time soon =/ - HoarseDev

Q16 Interactii - Why don't you expose more of the system team’s intent behind changes to users?
    A16a Workin’ on it. This year with regular dev chats and some changes to the format of some dev diaries we’re going to move in that direction.
    A16b Some of our dev diaries read more like manuals than actual diaries. It can be hard to transition from technical to personal writing.
    A16c Kelsan’s will always read like manuals because he has no soul. - HoarseDev

Q17 Atriohm - Any thoughts on a new pvmp map? #LOTRO
    A17 Jinjaah - Not at this time. #LOTRO

Q18 reDot - Who is burg dev? #LOTRO
    A18 Jared – I’ll be taking on the role of Burglar Dev. #LOTRO

Q19 xDementedx -Will there be a major revamp to the current system of PvMP or are you only looking into improvements/bugfixes this year? #LOTRO
    A19 Jinjaah -Mainly improvements and bug fixes this year. #LOTRO

Q20 Raven-EU - How will the "Player Council" affect your other feedback program: the Bullroarer server? #LOTRO
    A20 Sapience – We see feedback as a progression. Our thinking is Council, Palantir, Bullroarer, live. #LOTRO

Q21 Alyselle - Is there any multi boss raid (like Orthanc) planned in the near future? #LOTRO
    A21 JWB - Currently, the instance team is working on prototyping the Helm's Deep experience. #LOTRO

Q22 Joene -Moria got a nice revamp. Are you planning on doing this on pre-Moria content? #LOTRO
    A22 JWB - As time allows we will continue to revamp the older regions of the game. #LOTRO

Q23 MrWarg - Can you give us any more information on the major class revamps taking place later in the year? #LOTRO
    A23 Jared – Our goal is to reduce the hybrid-homogenized nature of our classes while bringing definition and excitement to the primary role of each line. #LOTRO

Q24 Dotfive - Any plans for a new class? #LOTRO
    A24 Jared – Not at this time. We feel the revamp is going to breathe a lot of new life into the existing classes. #LOTRO

Q25 AlmericITA - New PvMP Zone in sight, even far away? #LOTRO
    A25 Jinjaah - Not in sight. #LOTRO

Q26 @BhorisThe Spider – One of the reasons for Audacity was to introduce ‘seasonal’ armour sets for the moors. When is the next season? #LOTRO
    A26 HoarseDev - A little after u10… 10.1 or 11 methinks. Weapons hopefully as well.#LOTRO

Q27 YageerSilverscale - Will we ever see any MC instance / part of instance ? #LOTRO
    A27 JWB - It's on the to-do list at some point, no current eta. #LOTRO

Q28 Morneniel- Will we ever get a house per character? My poor dwarf never liked elves for roommates and can't wait to move out
    A28a This is… well, we’re looking at how to get this to work. I would say unlikely for the first round of housing improvements.
    A28b Getting some good fixes for existing housing issues is a bigger priority right now. -HoarseDev

Q29 Tirian_Hammerfist - Any plans to introduce a new creep class, simply for the sake of keeping things fresh? #LOTRO
    A29 Jinjaah - We have had conversations about adding some new creep classes. #LOTRO

Q30 Aleatar- Will the housing revamp provide some benefits to the players or will remain as something merely cosmetic?
    A30 Man I hope so. We are in the midst of prototyping and evaluating our options. Sorry for the flakey answer there but I can’t really nail this down this month. - HoarseDev

Q31 Kajil -Is the hunter class ever going to see something along the lines of a strong, instant self-heal/HOT or instant B/P/E buff? #LOTRO
    A31 Jared – It’s not out of the realm of possibility, but I’d prefer something other than a heal for survivability. #LOTRO

Q32 Aleatar Any firm plans to revamp the kinship system once that you are done with the housing?
    A32 Firm? No. Deeply desired? Yes. - HoarseDev

Q33 @Miesse can we please please have a trait panel setup that lets us save trait loadouts and name them like for MC? #LOTRO
    A33 Hoarsedev - Yes.

Q34 @DaniAngione Why not make currency (money) shared like marks and such? Kind of annoying to mail money to yourself #LOTRO
    A34 JWB - We see as many requests not to do this as we do to do it.

Q35 @TryenTakmion it seems as if the fate change has made fate more necessary than other stats especially for medium classes any plans to fix this
    A35 HoarseDev The fate changes aren't fire and forget. #LOTRO
    A35a We'll be tuning regularly going forward. #LOTRO

Q36 @sethbar1 How can the devs fully grasp the needs of a class when they are working with multiple classes and moving around so much?
    A36 HoarseDev this pass on classes is intended to address their interactions as a whole in groups.
    A36a We have to look at them all at the same time in order to see "how each piece fits into the puzzle."
    a36b (Quotes from JWB)

Q37 ekimkaerf2 Approximately when will the class revisions begin? #LOTRO
    A37 Jared - Internal dev is underway.
    A37a JWB - much of what you are seeing with stat changes and itemization changes
    A37b and combat mechanics are foundational. It will all suppport our class changes later this year.

Q38 @TurthinSwiftbow People are wondering if Champs will have shields returned to the class?..#LOTRO
    A38 Jinjaah - No shields will not be returning for champs. #LOTRO

Q39 @ellohir I love Lotteries, are there any more fun "event" lottos coming? I missed something for Valentine's Day #lotro
    A39 Sapience. Keep an eye on lotteries this weekend. #LOTRO

Q40 @pebelas Will it be possible to place our stuff freely after the housing revamp or will you keep the fixed system as it is now #LOTRO
    A40 HoarseDev - I would like to see better placement rules for deco objects in houses. #LOTRO

Q41 @JimMarshallNC What was the purpose for the warden stat change? In other words what affect are you going for?
    A41 Jared - It simplifies our itemization scheme to have all medium armour classes utilize agility as a primary stat.

Q42 @Pasimii Any plans to get away from PvE in the Ettenmoors?
    A42 jinjaah We have been over the past few updates.
    A42a and we will continue to make it more PVMP centric.
    A42b Jared - The purpose of keeps and outposts is to use PVE to instigate PVP.

Q43 @this_xenonn Will the class revisions fix the Loremaster's very under powered pets? #LOTRO #DEVCHAT
    A43 Jared Yes. As part of the class revamp we hope to make pets an important part of all pet classes.

Q44 @anders_halt when comes U10? Any infos? #LOTRO
    A44 Rowan - Early MArch. #LOTRO

Q45 @plambert Will you consider giving Founders some small priority in joining the Player Council? #LOTRO
    A45 Sapience All groups will recieve equal consideration. We won't be playing favorites. #LOTRO

Q46 @pebelas Another housing-question: will empty houses from inactive players be available to rent again? #LOTRO
    A46 HoarseDev We're working out a reasonable foreclosure solution.
    A46a to free up those long empty houses. #LOTRO

Q47 @dAmionGER Will NPC-stats in skirmish (Elrohir e.g.) be scaled in sometime, too? Currently, they are more a obstruction than a help. #LOTRO
    A47 JWB No. In solo spaces they are meant to be a help.
    A47a In group spaces they are meant to be part of the challenge.

Q48 @Pasimii Are there any plans to edit racial skills/traits?
    A48 Jared It's definitely something we're looking to do in the future.
    A48a Probably after the class updates.

Q49 @Bloodspill Any chance for a veggie friendly feasting table/fire pit type housing item? #lotro
    A49 HoarseDev It's an interesting idea.

Thanks guys. That's our time for today. We apologize for the technical snags, they slowed us down a bit. #lotro

Bonus Questions. Due to today's technical issues on Twitter, we've answered these additional Questions

BQ1 Raven-EU - What do you think will be the biggest benefit that you and your team will reap from the "Player Council"?
    BA1 Rowan I’m looking forward to the personal interaction with a group of dedicated players. We were able to have some design discussion around classes with “LOTRO’s Biggest Fan” when he was here in the office last year, and it was hugely valuable. I’ve had a few opportunities to do this at community events as well, both in the United States (PAX) and Europe (gamescom). Nothing beats talking through ideas directly.

BQ2 Nubcat - A few creep players (especially us girls) were saying how cool it would be to play a female creep (Angmarim, perhaps). What is the chances of that, or any new creep class, being introduced to the game?
    BA2 Jinjaah - I think having a new creep class be female is a great idea.

BQ3 Bastiat1 - Can you please explain the design decision to have the single best in slot item in the game (Horse-lords bracelets) drop primarily from over-land level 85 trash mobs? What objective were the designers trying to achieve?
    BA3 JWB - There are a lot of equipment slots and upgrades available in game. The best thing for absolutely every slot shouldn't be relegated to only 1 type of content.

BQ4 Bastiat1 - In contrast to the last four raids (DN, BG, OD, Orthanc), the coming raid is three isolated single encounters as opposed to a multi-boss progression raid. Does this signal a design philosophy change at Turbine with respect to raiding? If not, is there a multi-boss progression raid on the development list for the future? If so, when? If not, why?
    BA4 JWB - Not a shift at all, for this story and location having 3 separate encounters fit better. The story of the cluster being made drives the structure of that cluster and raids.

BQ5 Kajil - Will the numerous hunter skills and traits (specifically, Bow of the Righteous, Press Onward, Strength of the Earth, Agile Rejoinder, assorted legendary item legacies, etc) that are currently under-scaled or out-of-date be scaled to perform up-to-par with other class's skills?
    BA5 Jared – Anything and everything is up for revision with the class revamps.

BQ6 Waylen -Threat generation by tanks appears to not scale proportionally to dps. Will you be addressing this issue at some point? Also Threat itself is very murky do you have any plans for making it a bit more transparent?
    BA6 Jared – Yes. Threat has been the topic of many design discussions recently and we agree that the system is not particularly user friendly and it’s something we want to address.

BQ7 Raven-EU - On an average day, how much time do you (and your colleges in the OCR team) spend "cracking the whips" on the forums and how much is spent on other stuff, like thinking up cool ways to make the player base excited?
    BA7 Sapience – It would probably surprise most people that it’s the inverse of what they expect. Moderation is really one of the smaller parts of our jobs. In fact we have a team of moderators who deal with most of it so the Community team can focus on other things. The bulk of our time is spent gathering feedback for the various teams in the building; including everyone from the dev team to executives. We spend a lot of time coming up with ideas like these dev chats, screen shot contests, supporting fan sites, helping community leaders on each server create great events, the upcoming Player Council, lotteries, trivia, and organizing real world events like the PAX player parties.

BQ8 Spartiotis - Hi, will we get new guilded crafted recipe's to counteract the whole fate power/crit changes or will the current recipe's simply be changed. Also, can you give us a rough time as when U10 will be launched pls?
    BA8 HoarseDev - There will be several passes on recipes. Some will be new recipes. In a lot of cases we will change existing recipes to accommodate the stat changes. -HoarseDev

BQ9 Brya - Can you share any ideas you're considering for the housing revamp? Will we be able to get more storage?
    BA9 Just ideas for this month but… more/better storage, better item placement rules, ways to display armor/weapons.
    We’re evaluating our options and will keep you posted. - HorseDev

BQ10 Delaney - In the class revamps, will underused class trait lines be re-evaluted to encourage their use again, such as the burg MM line?

BA10 Not so much lines as trees, but yeah, that is central to the changes coming.
    While we will never get to the point that every build will be equally popular we do think that we can make your character build full of rewarding choices. - HoarseDev
    Last edited by Sapience; Feb 06 2014 at 11:25 AM.

Helm's Deep is under way? Ooooh

Save n switch trait set up panel? OOOOH

Lotteries over the weekend? Fun

Revamping older spaces? This I am kind of not a fan of. It kind of alienates me from the older areas and kills the nostalgia factor. Also, I really like the older method of quest pick ups. Whenever I get a new character to the Esteldin area, I have a total blast with the absolute flooding of things to do. If that content were to be linearized a la most new content and revamped stuff, I would be a sad panda. Maybe it's just me, but I think the older stuff is still high quality and it is what hooked me in the first place.
    Townsperson says, "I'm having an adventure. I've paddled all the way from Frogmorton!"

Trait trees? No thank you.
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. ~ Faramir

Undo the U12 class changes. The trait trees were, are, and will always be a bad idea.
    Maedhric 105 Captain, Nunion 110 Champion, Taraviel 85 Minstrel, etc...

Awesome questions and answers!

I saw many questions about Ettenmoors, but the most important question must have slipped away. Will you do anything to reduce the horrible lag some of us Snowbourn freeps experience in Ettens? I'm talking about the 10-20 sec skill lag we have when there's more than 1 raid vs 1 raid at the same spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapience View Post
    Q5 Fidzy_the_humble - When will we be able to send multiple items in a single mail?
    A5 We’re looking at better ways to transfer items more efficiently. Multiple items in mails is on that list but we’ve got a lot to evaluate. - HoarseDev
    Sending multiple mail attachments would be awesome. Know what else would be awesome? Having my mail/AH windows remember their positions when I move them, just like my bags do. Nothing is more annoying than moving the compose mail window near my bags to attach an item, sending the mail then repeating the process 10-20 times.

BQ9 Brya - Can you share any ideas you're considering for the housing revamp? Will we be able to get more storage?
    BA9 Just ideas for this month but… more/better storage, better item placement rules, ways to display armor/weapons.
    We’re evaluating our options and will keep you posted. - HorseDev
    If houses get cosmetic weapons/shields before players we should revolt! lol

Quote Originally Posted by dietlbomb View Post
    This, one thousand times and more yes!

I heartily detest skill trees. I love the current system of class traits and its flexibility; I am not a fan of skill trees (be it druids, mounts or anything else).

For goodness sake, please do not break what we have.
    Last edited by Arachnella; Feb 21 2013 at 05:33 PM.
    Spiders in V1 Pre-B13: 8-legged menace. B13: 8-legged bait. B14: 8-legged trap... no more! B15/MoM: 8-legged *splat!*
    Spiders in V2
    B7: We cope. B8: FotM? B9: 8-legged menace.
    Spiders in V3
    B3: Mourning for my hatchlings.

cdq1958 is offline Hero Of the Small Folk 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Arachnella View Post
    This, one thousand time and more yes!

I heartily detest skill trees. I love the current system of class traits and its flexibility; I am not a fan of skill trees for the mounts.

For goodness sake, do not break what we have.
    I have played games that had trees. I have played games that don't. I don't see any particular difference in flexibility in the end (probably just me, there). There are limits either way. Some find trees more intuitive. Others don't. Mixing them I don't see as possible from the implementation point of view. Implementation details will, I think, matter greatly.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

Quote Originally Posted by Arachnella View Post
    This, one thousand time and more yes!

I heartily detest skill trees. I love the current system of class traits and its flexibility; I am not a fan of skill trees (be it druids, mounts or anything else.

For goodness sake, please do not break what we have.
    That's not how I read the question. I think a better way to put it is, 'Can we have a system that allows us to quickly change traits without visiting the Bard?'

Call me lazy, but I hate going to the Bard to change traits whenever I switch roles. Being able to switch on the fly, with an interface similar to the MC trait panel, would be a huge quality-of-life improvement. Over and above that, being able to save multiple traitlines is an even greater improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by dietlbomb View Post
    Ya Talent Trees? This makes me sad. One of the things that seemed uniquely LOTRO was how their trait system worked and was so simple yet detailed. Seeing the talent tree system enter LOTRO in MC turned me off.

Q32 Aleatar Any firm plans to revamp the kinship system once that you are done with the housing?

In retrospect it seems that we had a missed opportunity with the Hytbold rebuild. I mean to suggest that next time a worthwhile endeavor would be a rebuild specific to a kinship.

It's one thing to bond with others through the course of raiding but building the home of your kinship within the context of how Hytbold was implemented adds another opportunity! Another idea is a rebuild that ultimately creates a neighborhood be it comprised of individual homes, kinship mini-thanes, or a mixed housing zone.

Just some food for thought about an opportunity to grow the Hytbold experience.
    A vote for Sapience is a vote for progress? A 4th fix to get Draigoch to "dragon up" that still doesn't fix the persistent bug in the raid is not how I define progress.

Q34 @DaniAngione Why not make currency (money) shared like marks and such? Kind of annoying to mail money to yourself #LOTRO

Wait, what? Who wouldn't want this? Failing to see how shared gold would be bad.

I hope the player council will help having a better communication with the developers on touchy subjects such as class revamps and loot distribution.
    The answer of Mr Barry on the legendary items did not please me, not the answers regarding the survivability of the hunters skills.
    It feels as a one way decision, because I say so, because I the dev know better what you want than you the player do. If if I don't feel feedback is acknowledged, I mean why wasting my time giving it? That's independant of just being in disagreement.

Other than that, the comment on the housing system makes it look promising, particularly the armours display. I can't wait for that one.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2821700000017ce96/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Lvl 85 Hunter - Lvl 85 Champion - L 65 Captain

I'd really like to have dummies showing my armour collections in my character's house

Yageer Silverscale - playing LOTRO since 2007

Quote Originally Posted by voalkrynn2 View Post

In retrospect it seems that we had a missed opportunity with the Hytbold rebuild. I mean to suggest that next time a worthwhile endeavor would be a rebuild specific to a kinship.

It's one thing to bond with others through the course of raiding but building the home of your kinship within the context of how Hytbold was implemented adds another opportunity! Another idea is a rebuild that ultimately creates a neighborhood be it comprised of individual homes, kinship mini-thanes, or a mixed housing zone.

I think this is a great idea. Crafting a kin fortress that gets attacked periodically and requires the kin to protect it would be epic.

Once again, no update on when fixes to the Mac client are coming, if ever. Instead we had questions about the class revamps and new zone for PvMP answered multiple times.

I appreciate that we have a client and it's beta, but can we at least get an answer that changes are being done to it?

Or will we forever have to watch it download every load screen for every language any time I load the client up?

Please do not leave us Mac users hanging.

"Q31 Kajil -Is the hunter class ever going to see something along the lines of a strong, instant self-heal/HOT or instant B/P/E buff? #LOTRO"

Why you don't you just ask for everything every other class has ever had? It's what hunters seem to ask for all the time.

"Q23 MrWarg - Can you give us any more information on the major class revamps taking place later in the year? #LOTRO
    A23 Jared – Our goal is to reduce the hybrid-homogenized nature of our classes while bringing definition and excitement to the primary role of each line. #LOTRO"

This is rather terrifying for a solo player, and especially for a solo minstrel player. I hope the devs remember that the reason a lot of introvert reader types play this game is because it IS more solo-friendly than other MMORPGs.

My question needs an answer...

With the changes to stats, what will happen to old quest rewards? In some cases, there are four choices - none of which seem to prepare players for even a well-balances upper level character. In many cases, the rewards are so out-of-date that some of the quest rewards, if used in the normal course of leveling up, would make absolutely no sense. It's not just that, either. The old recipes don't really make sense. I'm not suggesting that all armour be "cookie cutter" in nature and just scaled, but there is no rhyme or reason.

I would think that tailoring the recipes along the lines of racial (dwarf made armour, made by dwarves, helps the wearer become more mighty and hit harder, since they are hardier as a race/elven made armours tend to focus on inner strength, like power and morale regeneration, fate since it is fading in them as a people, and agility/westernesse or just plain man made armours focusing on vitality and strength of will and resistance since mortality and the threat of corruption are such a concern).

I would think tailoring recipes based on what the race wanted to protect themselves against makes sense (all are concerned with all the statistics, but as a WHOLE, the average would be based on a race if it couldn't be based on a class, which the weaponry COULD be based on).

Anyway, that's my question: in leveling another character, the scarcity of actual useful quest rewards is extremely apparent. If you want more life in the game, make growing new characters attractive...not just racing them to an end game that you have to constantly be on top of, because that is clearly unsustainable.

Quote Originally Posted by manmonkey1 View Post
    I think this is a great idea. Crafting a kin fortress that gets attacked periodically and requires the kin to protect it would be epic.
    Dark Age of Camelot had that functionality over 10 years ago. It's a shame we can't have it now.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/07206000000002964/01002/signature.png]Cassandra[/charsig]

[url]http://my.lotro.com/character/windfola/cassandra[/url]

I personally really like the idea of a new trait "Tree" system, versus the current trait system. WoW had a "Tree" type system that worked for years. They recently changed it to that of a line and it has received a lot of negative feedback. Tree's allow for a much larger amount of benefits per trait type. For example, one could use 2 yellow and 5 red as a champion. This really doesn't leave many options for traits. Whereas a tree, you may be given 50 points, and you can get 50 smaller benefits. Or you could go 25 yellow, 25 red. etc. A tree allows for a much larger span of options to customize your character.

Q44 @anders_halt when comes U10? Any infos? #LOTRO
    A44 Rowan - Early MArch. #LOTRO
    Soo... I should expect U10 in maybe late March or early April?

Shipping in 2013 (Currently Planned for February)
    Riders of Rohan Instances (Part 2):
    From: http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...stance-cluster

And you wonder why alot of people dont have anymore faith or trust in you Turbine.. Maybe stop delaying every single update by few months and then again delay them over and over?

Quote Originally Posted by voalkrynn2 View Post

You could make it a scaling so all levels can participate and provide marks/medallions as rewards based on completion. I think something like this be a great change to the housing system and would provide a sense of ownership and pride in kinship and players houses. Hyperbole is cool but who wants to build a town that they can call their own? I Do!
    I'm sure this is not as easy as I'm making it out to be but I think it's a great idea to start from.
    2 cents.......

Q4 Peter_Pan – Do you have any plans to implement a system that allows master looter to be used in combination with remote looting? #LOTRO
    A4 JWB - No plans as of now. We're pretty happy overall with how remote looting is working in instances. #LOTRO
    Lulz.
    "It is good to have substance to one's existence, but if fate denies one substance, one can yet do a lot with style."
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/132130000000d7e65/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Silvarlas View Post
    Soo... I should expect U10 in maybe late March or early April?

From: http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...stance-cluster

And you wonder why alot of people dont have anymore faith or trust in you Turbine.. Maybe stop delaying every single update by few months and then again delay them over and over?
    You really don't want U10 deployed in its current state.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin_JackSlash View Post
    Wait, what? Who wouldn't want this? Failing to see how shared gold would be bad.
    Something about a character having access to things he didn't earn. Try searching the suggestions forum for this suggestion.
    Last edited by Nakiami; Feb 21 2013 at 10:24 PM.
    A spaceship from another star / They ask me where all the people are
    I tell them I'm the only one / There was a war, but I must have won

Q7 Aleatar - With the future class revamp, are there any plans to make the trait system more determinant in the classes. #LOTRO

A7 Jared - Absolutely. We want the selection of a trait line to be vital part of the player’s progression and as such, each A7a line should be distinct and exciting. #LOTRO

Q23 MrWarg - Can you give us any more information on the major class revamps taking place later in the year? #LOTRO

A23 Jared - Our goal is to reduce the hybrid-homogenized nature of our classes while bringing definition and excitement to the primary role of each line. #LOTRO
    Though Jared didn't say they're headed towards talent trees, that's the worry given that Mounted Combat has trees. And so...

Quote Originally Posted by cdq1958 View Post
    I have played games that had trees. I have played games that don't. I don't see any particular difference in flexibility in the end (probably just me, there). There are limits either way. Some find trees more intuitive. Others don't. Mixing them I don't see as possible from the implementation point of view. Implementation details will, I think, matter greatly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarvisdoom View Post
    I personally really like the idea of a new trait "Tree" system, versus the current trait system. WoW had a "Tree" type system that worked for years. They recently changed it to that of a line and it has received a lot of negative feedback. Tree's allow for a much larger amount of benefits per trait type. For example, one could use 2 yellow and 5 red as a champion. This really doesn't leave many options for traits. Whereas a tree, you may be given 50 points, and you can get 50 smaller benefits. Or you could go 25 yellow, 25 red. etc. A tree allows for a much larger span of options to customize your character.
    This is all "in my experience and opinion" of course. I played quite a bit of WoW before coming to LotRO in 2009--I don't know about the new "linear" talent system in WoW, but I suspect Blizzard did away with trees because they knew after years of experience that balancing the individual talents and branching paths became more troublesome with highly bloated trees. Linear sure is simple!

Anyway. First, what makes LotRO unique and great--among a number of things, of course (though this feels lessened with each update, sometimes), this includes the free-form class and virtue trait system. Specifically for class traits, chosen traits confer set bonuses unto a capstone at the player's own choice. So long as your class traits are unlocked, you can pick ANY of the traits you wish in ANY of the three lines (which are not linear at all) for specific set bonuses and an optional capstone, and legendary traits.

There is LESS player choice and customization in railroaded tree systems compared to the current LotRO system. It doesn't matter if you have 50 points especially if you only have enough points to go down a specific tree--you're forced to start at the bottom and are locked in. This makes sense for games where 5-mans and raiding content are a very significant portion of the entire game and the devs want to easily balance that content for specific roles, like WoW, but less so for games where 1-2-3-man content is more commonly experienced (hybrid roles/traits are perfectly viable and sometimes preferred) and some classes have different utility (buff/debuff, cc, etc.). If WB-Turbine intends now to significantly up fellowship/raid content, sure. That hasn't been the case since F2P was implemented.

Another reason why you have LESS player choice with tree systems is that trees are hierarchical by "value"--and the only people who determine each talent value are the devs, not the players. This is certainly more "intuitive" in the sense that it makes decision-making much simpler for players. While LotRO's current free-form trait system means someone can take specific red traits they prefer over others (e.g. captain's red traits for pet DPS versus self DPS), in trees you have no choice but to follow a preset path laid before you by devs who've decided one trait is innately more valuable than another. And along the way, you will be forced to choose a "gate" trait just to unlock something else you prefer--maybe you don't want the enforced baseline -threat% in the Red Dawn tree in order to get the +DPS traits after that.

A dev somewhere hinted that their future class revisions will "force difficult choices" or something to that effect. This would not be true with a tree system. Merely being forced to choose an initial role out of three at the root is nowhere near the same as deciding which specific individual traits in a line to pick for diverse set bonuses (potentially compromising a capstone) versus going for stronger set bonuses should you choose more to specialize. This means flexibility. More flexibility means more player choice, and in every case I've seen it (e.g. tons of feats to choose from in D&D), more truly "difficult" choices for players based on their own evaluation. Player choice is good. Enforced dev choices would be more akin to Instance Finder v1.

Changing the current free-form trait system into talent trees would be simplification for both players and for the devs. The devs get to choose their trait priorities over player preference and players in turn would be forced to just go down a mindless railroaded color. Of course, one way around that is to implement it like the warsteed traits: Give enough points to reach all three capstones and allow instant "stance" change in combat.

Personally, I'd rather the devs keep the free-form trait system and add a slot and empower the class trait set bonuses and capstones even more--make the higher set bonuses particularly interesting, and that would certainly offer more difficult choices, but still keep the diverse lesser set bonuses.

Or better yet. Skip class revamps AND REVAMP THE LEGENDARY ITEM SYSTEM PROPERLY.

1. Gilded (having a pleasing or showy appearance that conceals something of little worth)
    2. Having an appearance of grandeur that obfuscates by complexity and arbitrariness
    3. Disposable

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast