We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapience View Post
    We are currently in the process of reviewing our minimum and recommended specs. It has been clear since Moria instruduced a heavy physics hit that the specs may need to be adjusted and Rohan made it more clear. As Helms deep uses a combination of these techs, we felt it was the right time to revisit those requirements. We expect to have information on that in the near future.
    I feel at this stage it would be good if Turbine could look at some kind of optimisation of the game engine, is this something that is being considered and, if so, when could we expect to see it?

Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamandra View Post
    I feel at this stage it would be good if Turbine could look at some kind of optimisation of the game engine, is this something that is being considered and, if so, when could we expect to see it?
    Update 11.1 and 11.2 introduced code on the client side to report performance and other metrics back to us. In large part this is aimed at addressing latency and lag reports. We learned some interesting things and plan to address some of the issues in an upcoming patch. The current goal is to do this prior to the release of Helm's Deep.

Will these medal thingummies be BoA or account bound? Just wondering if we'll see a horde of sacrificial lvl 10 accounts created just to spam medals for the "main" characters, should locks/timers be introduced.

Q17: How are rewards (loot) distributed?

As players obtain Medals for the various objectives throughout the Battle for Helm’s Deep they will earn class based rewards. The higher the quality of the medals earned, the better the quality of the rewards earned. It will also utilize the Marks, Medallions and Seals system.
    Is this going to be a barter based rewards system, or a rng based system?

For example: if a high quality medal is awarded for some challenging objective during the 'big battle', will I be awarded with a high quality medal that can be then used towards bartering for a certain quality class based item from a vendor, or if I earn some high quality medal, will that mean that at the end of the instance I will 'roll' for a certain class based item?

Will a person participating solo in a big battle be eligible for the same quality of medals as a person in a raid big battle?

More off topic: In regards to the other portion of 'end-game', our current skirmish and scaled instance system. Is the current plan for all of these to scale to 95 with no major changes to tiers, challenges, looting, and rewards?

Update 11.1 and 11.2 introduced code on the client side to report performance and other metrics back to us. In large part this is aimed at addressing latency and lag reports. We learned some interesting things and plan to address some of the issues in an upcoming patch. The current goal is to do this prior to the release of Helm's Deep.

I'm glad to hear this.

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrawn View Post
    Sounds interesting, though I'm a little iffy on entry level players beign able to jump straight into end-game at Helm's Deep without having to work their way through the game's content. I've never really had a problem with things becoming more and more easy and accessible...until now. This might be a little over the line.

Picture this:

I just found out about LoTRO and I am anxious to give it a try. I heard there is a new expansion coming out and it will involve the Helm's Deep battle.
    This is just what I am hoping to get into!
    So, I try out the game with a FTP account.
    I soon realize it is going to take me months (maybe years) to get to the level cap.
    If I need a L85 character to get into Helm's Deep, why should I buy the Helm's Deep expansion since I won't be able to even taste it for ages?

Like I told you...What I said...Steal your face right off your head.

Quote Originally Posted by xDementedx View Post
    However I am curious how non-LI items, pre-ROI items, and items that are no longer obtainable in the game will scale, if a lower level player so chooses to bring those? Some may pose a problem in power if they are scaled incorrectly [...]
    "Items scaled incorrectly" will be a whole category of bug in the upscaling mechanic. I assume we're likely to see quite a few interesting results. I'm sure many of us would be interested in details of the proposed scaling equations, but I'm equally sure the devs won't be terribly forthcoming on that count.

Wait until players can start playing the beta; I'm sure we'll see some discussion on how it will work then. Even if it's NDA-eyes-only. The rest of us will probably have to wait until the expansion goes live to start reverse-engineering such equations for our own edification.
    Join the LotRO Volunteer QA Team!
    Use the bug reporting tool or type /bug in-game!*
    *no rants please

Quote Originally Posted by Bhoris_they_spider View Post
    This was a pretty good 20-questions and for better or worse it certainly gives the player a good feel of what to expect from Helms-Deep 'endgame'. As someone who primarily enjoys raiding I am not sure whether I will ultimately enjoy the system or not but it sounds like it will at least bring something new, even if it doesn't pan out quite as good as it sounds on paper. I can also see lag being an issue with such 'big-battles' as currently the servers/client are struggling with FttLM T2 CM and even SH HM when there are lots of mobs active.

A question; will the system will be built in to the Instance Finder panel allowing groups to be formed via a queue system? Or do groups have to be pre-formed as they would with a raid skirmish?

Anyway, credit where credit is due, a very informative 20-questions with plenty of substance and no silly questions etc. Good work I guess!

You'll be able to use Instance Finder to find people to play with and fill out a group. If you have a group already, then you're free to enter and play with that group.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredelas View Post
    Can players obtain adequate performance in Big Battles on a computer with LOTRO's current minimum and recommended system requirements?

Do the developers frequently test their work on systems with these specifications?

We're in the midst of heavy client and server performance testing on Big Battles. The client testing is specifically targetting min and rec spec machines at various graphics settings. Optimizations will follow once we've isolated out some areas to focus on that cause the most problems. Our goal is that Big Battles be a playable experience for everyone.

Q6: Will group instances be different from the solo and duo instances or is it all scaled like in the past?[/B][/COLOR]

Each instance in the Battle for Helm’s Deep has a solo option by default. The solo option allows two players to be in the instance together, but does not increase its difficulty when the second player joins. Select instances of the battle will also feature certain group sizes as options, either 3, 6, or 12. The group version is a completely different space from the solo and has been handcrafted to be suitable for that player count.
    What reward incentives are there apart from the ability to spend time with more of your friends that would encourage players to choose to participate in the 'Group Version' instead of the 'Solo' version of the space on a regular ongoing basis? Are there any rewards exclusive to the group version?

Why are not all of these 'Big Battle' spaces being designed to handle at least a small fellowship? [see the 'select instances' statement suggesting that some of these instances will ONLY have a strictly solo-scaled (duo optional) mode.]
    Crell-L85-Champion - Riddermark ; Swego-L85-Burglar ; Kotvi-L95-Runekeeper
    Delego-L85 Hunter ; Stodden-L51-Captain ; Edhul-L61-Loremaster
    Deglorion - SoA XP Disabler

Q3: Can a level 10 character group with a level 95 character in a Battle?
    Q4: How can a level 10 character hope to contribute successfully to the Battle?

The Battle for Helm’s Deep utilizes a new feature called Character Upscaling. When you join an instance in the Battle for Helm’s Deep we scale your character’s stats and skills to level 95. Your equipment is scaled as well, with the level differential between you and the equipment being maintained through the upscaling.
    With everyone now being the same level, 95, groups can be assembled from anyone on the server available to play. While an upscaled 95 will be less powerful than a true 95, through the Medals system they will still be able to meaningfully contribute.
    --------------------------------------------------------

Okay 1st thing wrong here, anyone NOT at their level cap won't know how to play their class to the full extent therefore this auto scale is horrible idea. I know plenty of current capped lvl 85s who don't know how to play their class, they won't contribute very much at all it will be like my Kin taking a fresh lv85 into a T2 Raid, they'll die right away until the whole fight is over.

2nd. Re think this whole method over PLEASE.

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrawn View Post
    Sounds interesting, though I'm a little iffy on entry level players beign able to jump straight into end-game at Helm's Deep without having to work their way through the game's content. I've never really had a problem with things becoming more and more easy and accessible...until now. This might be a little over the line.
    It all depends on how you choose to look at it. I for one rejoice at the opportunity to expand my circle of interaction beyond the usual kinnies and occasionnal PUG buddies and maybe to help lowbies/newcomers along their journey (I found that lurking in starting areas going "HEY D'YA NEED HELP" at every poorly-equipped character comes accross as creepy).
    Anything that encourages or at least allows for more capped/newbie interaction is welcome in my book.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/7803/rz50.png[/IMG][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][URL="http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?508409-Scenic-Arda"]Scenic Arda[/URL] - [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?532343-Scenic-Helm-s-Deep&p=7014227"]Scenic Helm's Deep[/URL] - [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?519168-New-forum-skin-light-theme"]Forum Light Theme[/URL][/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by jwbarry View Post
    We're in the midst of heavy client and server performance testing on Big Battles. The client testing is specifically targetting min and rec spec machines at various graphics settings. Optimizations will follow once we've isolated out some areas to focus on that cause the most problems. Our goal is that Big Battles be a playable experience for everyone.
    In my case, increasing the Texture Cache Size made a big improvement to performance, however this looks to default to the same level across all graphics presets. Might that be something that needs looking into?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Divine View Post
    Okay 1st thing wrong here, anyone NOT at their level cap won't know how to play their class to the full extent therefore this auto scale is horrible idea. I know plenty of current capped lvl 85s who don't know how to play their class, they won't contribute very much at all it will be like my Kin taking a fresh lv85 into a T2 Raid, they'll die right away until the whole fight is over.
    I believe this is what the Medal system is meant to address. If you invite a level 10 player with you, you're not intending to do the equivalent of a T2C. So you might not achieve a level of success that grants you the best number or quality of medal, or whatever. But you can still finish and get a lower number or quality of medal, not to mention barter currency, so it's not a waste of time.

Plus, it's your choice whether you want to take a level 10 character with you or not. If you want to be all snobby about it, then feel free to play exclusively with level 95s.
    Cainwen Ciaphas, Captain of Crickhollow, HERO OF MIDDLE EARTH!!!
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My opinions are my own!

Quote Originally Posted by zalladi View Post
    Hurrah, a little more information on the expansion, and a good read too, but never comes without questions;

1a) So I assume the 'Big Battles' will be the end-game of Helms Deep on its release, much like Draigoch for Isengard, and Hytbold for Rohan?
    1b) Much like previous expansions, are instances slated to arrive sometime after the expansion, or will this new system see more content added instead of new instance content, giving us more 'Big Battles' instead?

2) The medal system sounds intriguing; how will the medal that is rewarded be calculated? Hopefully it will be more sensitive in comparison to Guild Wars 2's medal system by which a gold medal means you only need to do one hit to an enemy.

3) And on this quote:

Does that mean that if you open a solo 'Big Battle', and then later run a 12-raid 'Big Battle', would there be different mechanics in the fight, or different encounters, or an entirely different 'Big Battle' itself? And if so, will that version be challenging, offering the raiders something to occupy themselves with - acting as a goal to complete for example.

1a) Yes, though closer to like Skirmishes or an instance cluster in our minds as far as gameplay, challenge, complexity, and repeatability goes.

1b) Let's focus on the Helm's Deep expansion for now and we can get into later, later.

2) Medals in GW2 are to be an indication of how much contribution you provided to succeeding a goal that could have been advanced by a multitude of non-grouped un-associated players. Medals in Big Battles are an indication of how much success you and your group were able to obtain while pushing towards a goal. Very different concepts.

3) Yes, yes, yes. Yes. Some things may feel familiar but have grown in scope complexity and elements, others will be entirely brand new.

Q14: Will I be able to Play My character or is it more inline with how Monster Play Work?

You always play your character in the instances in the Battle for Helm’s Deep. There is no session play involved with the system.
    This made my day thankyou!
    "Endure and Surive" Wolftear lvl 100 Hunter- Officer of The Ancient Ones kinship on Snowbourn.

A couple of questions:
    1. Will Helm's Deep be able to be accessed OUTSIDE of the battle? As in like a regular town that has vendors, an AH, etc.
    2. Will lower level players earn XP for their un-scaled character?
    3. Will mounted combat be implemented into the battle in anyway? Because based off of this:
    Q18: Big Battles is Plural .. does this mean that there will be several different ones for Helm's Deep or it is indicitive of "many battles to complete a war" sort of thing.

Helm’s Deep has been time snapped at several key points to create multiple Battle Instances.

It gives me the impression that we might be with Gandalf in one of those battle instances, charging with the Riders of Rohan, which would probably imply mounted combat.
    This last question might be a silly one but I'm curious
    4. Can you "win"? As in, is it possible to see the First Light on the Fifth Day ? Or is it like the skirmish Survival:Barrow Downs where you just survive as long as you possibly can?
    Last edited by angrolas; Aug 06 2013 at 01:34 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/022040000001b578a/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by The_Divine View Post
    Q3: Can a level 10 character group with a level 95 character in a Battle?
    Q4: How can a level 10 character hope to contribute successfully to the Battle?

The Battle for Helm’s Deep utilizes a new feature called Character Upscaling. When you join an instance in the Battle for Helm’s Deep we scale your character’s stats and skills to level 95. Your equipment is scaled as well, with the level differential between you and the equipment being maintained through the upscaling.
    With everyone now being the same level, 95, groups can be assembled from anyone on the server available to play. While an upscaled 95 will be less powerful than a true 95, through the Medals system they will still be able to meaningfully contribute.
    --------------------------------------------------------

2nd. Re think this whole method over PLEASE.
    Well than, I guess we are about to actually help people that we don't know. Actually be nice and get them better. While I can see the pain of having a player that doesn't know their class well, they will learn rather quickly and even more so if they have the actual Capped players helping.
    (Side note: Wardens will be screwed... just saying)

Quote Originally Posted by DanteIL View Post
    Very interesting! Of course, we'll have to see if the experience matches the ambitions of the designers, but it definitely sounds like something new and different to try. It also sounds very much like DDO's Challenge system -- you enter instanced areas with several pre-determined 'goals' that are often time-based and not kill-all-the-enemies, and you earn more stars and tokens (medals?) the more goals you complete successfully.

So does a level 10 character who's been upscaled to level 95 earn level 10 XP or level 95 XP for this? Or no XP at all?

You earn xp and all other scalable rewards at your true level. So in your question, a level 10 character who completed a quest in a Big Battle would earn experience as if he just completed a level 10 quest. Marks and medallions would be at level 10 earn rates. And any items potentially acquired would be munged to level 10.

Quote Originally Posted by banjolier View Post
    "Items scaled incorrectly" will be a whole category of bug in the upscaling mechanic. I assume we're likely to see quite a few interesting results. I'm sure many of us would be interested in details of the proposed scaling equations, but I'm equally sure the devs won't be terribly forthcoming on that count.

Wait until players can start playing the beta; I'm sure we'll see some discussion on how it will work then. Even if it's NDA-eyes-only. The rest of us will probably have to wait until the expansion goes live to start reverse-engineering such equations for our own edification.
    hopefully the Devs take the more effective route of scaling characters as a whole, rather than scaling their items individually.

So for example: My lvl 20 champ has 200 might, 150 vit, and negligible fate/will/agi, along with a 12% crit chance, and blah, blah, blah.

Hopefully they will simply look at this character's net stats, and scale them so they perform similarly at 95 as they do at 20.

One thing I'm very worried about with these instances being useable by lvl 10 characters, is how little functionality a lvl 10 character has, and what that means can be included in the instances. a level 10 character will have no way to deal with corruptions, or interrupts, and most will not have 'bread and butter' skills for the class that are earned at higher levels and shape what they are capable of. It seems positively daunting to create an instance where both a player with lvl 10 functionality can contribute and complete objectives and at the same time a lvl 95 character will be challenged to use all the skills at their disposal.

This all sounds like a great update to the game; I'll certainly be watching how the spec testing goes as the past year or so I've been usually running the game on a ###### laptop with low settings (although hopefully getting a new one around the time HD may release).

Looking forward to eventually getting some images/video of just how many enemies are going to be on-screen, as well.

This is the best 20 Questions so far. Great info and sounds like something to look forward to.

Q17: How are rewards (loot) distributed?

As players obtain Medals for the various objectives throughout the Battle for Helm’s Deep they will earn class based rewards. The higher the quality of the medals earned, the better the quality of the rewards earned. It will also utilize the Marks, Medallions and Seals system.

This sounds good! Can I ask, will we be given the choice as to what those medals we earn gets us? In other words do we earn and save up medals and then 'barter' for the reward we want? Or are the medals during a session used to determine a roll in a certain loot-table? IE Bronze Medals gives a random 'Bronze Quality' reward, Silver, Gold, Platinum and so on?

Blunt version - do we have some control over loot choice, or is it still random?
    All posts to be taken with a pinch of tasty salt.... preferably rubbed on a Tater

Quote Originally Posted by banjolier View Post

Yes, the "interesting results" is what I'm mostly concerned about rather than the numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by jwbarry View Post
    You earn xp and all other scalable rewards at your true level. So in your question, a level 10 character who completed a quest in a Big Battle would earn experience as if he just completed a level 10 quest. Marks and medallions would be at level 10 earn rates. And any items potentially acquired would be munged to level 10.
    A level x quest doesn't compete with how much xp a skirmish would give out. And it sounds like this may take anywhere from as long as skirmishes to even longer, so why would we get xp as if we completed a quest (which is less xp than a skirmish)?
    Valondon - Level 100 Hunter
    Adlegar - Level 90-something Burglar
    Ilodid - Level Something Champion
    ---
    I hunt on Arkenstone

So with the lvl 10's scaling up, I am assuming they are restricted to their lvl 10 move sets right?

With people saying that they won't understand their class, I think that's false, they will have a decent understanding of their class at lvl 10, but their options will be limited.

Another thing I'm curious about. Will the BBs scale based on the levels of the group members? i.e. a 12 man group of lvl 10s, will be scaled differently than a 12 man group of 8 lvl 95s 3 lvl 87s and 1 lvl 10?

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast