We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: Lottery?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2

    Thumbs up Lottery?

    I remember, a couple years back, there was a lottery drawing once a week. You had a reason to log in and enter for a random chance at something quite new and rare. I miss this incentive. It gave me something to keep coming back...I enjoyed a little chance at something. Can we please get together and maybe bring it back? Thanks much! (going on my 6yr. V.I.P. and 9+ toons in to my journey)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,604
    The lottery was based on a database that somehow took the information from the playing servers, and used that for a comparision/match with the lottery conditions (so that the rewards will be appropriate to the respective level). One day there was a big outage, and the lottery system was damaged, with no backup available. Sapience restarted it several times, trying to make it work again, but couldn't really get it running. In the end, the lottery was ditched.

    This is what I know about the story (and witnessed while the whole thing was going on).


    Greetings, Polymachos
    Räuberhöhle auf Belegaer, Breelandsiedlung, Ochsbott, Lange Straße 5. Vorsicht, Fallen!
    Awkward Anomalities Arena in Breeland Homesteads, 6 Long Street, Ersward (Landroval) - Elderslade under attack!

    Scared people tend to follow the flock, no matter which shepherd it has

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymachos View Post
    The lottery was based on a database that somehow took the information from the playing servers, and used that for a comparision/match with the lottery conditions (so that the rewards will be appropriate to the respective level). One day there was a big outage, and the lottery system was damaged, with no backup available. Sapience restarted it several times, trying to make it work again, but couldn't really get it running. In the end, the lottery was ditched.

    This is what I know about the story (and witnessed while the whole thing was going on).


    Greetings, Polymachos
    I too was around at the time and after, I'm one of those players who hasn't played a while again but comes back every so often.

    I like how they keep using this as a reason though, bit worrying that out of all the people running the games these days nobody can work out some way of putting a lottery system back into place.

    I suspect it's more about not wanting to give too much away for free now.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    6,276
    The lottery was tied to the MyLOTRO blogging platform and API hookup that is long gone and not really able to come back without a complete redesign and rebuild. Fun fact: back in the day I was actually sometimes the person who determined what items were in the lottery, for both LOTRO and DDO. It was part of my regular schedule in like 2010-2012ish or whatever.
    Community Manager, Lord of the Rings Online
    Follow LOTRO on: Twitter - Facebook - Twitch - YouTube
    Personal channels (No SSG talk): Twitch Twitter Facebook
    Support: help.standingstonegames.com
    coolcool

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    the MyLOTRO blogging platform and API hookup that is long gone
    Was that the API which allowed you to see characters, including all their equipment, on the LOTRO website?
    If I remember correctly, it even displayed a history of when a character had leveled up.
    You could also see all the members of a kinship.
    I thought that API was a very cool feature.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    3
    This lottery was the greatest. I’m still nostalgic about it to this day.

    Please please please bring something like this back. Even if it’s only a VIP perk.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    3,505
    Quote Originally Posted by WillOTheWisp View Post
    Was that the API which allowed you to see characters, including all their equipment, on the LOTRO website?
    If I remember correctly, it even displayed a history of when a character had leveled up.
    You could also see all the members of a kinship.
    I thought that API was a very cool feature.
    I remember reading posts by people saying that the feature was used by stalkers to find and harass them across servers with the annon option being clunky and sometimes not working.


    God, that sounds like a nightmare.
    "Grandchildren are God's reward for not killing your children when you wanted to."

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by leglaith View Post
    I remember, a couple years back, there was a lottery drawing once a week. You had a reason to log in and enter for a random chance at something quite new and rare. I miss this incentive. It gave me something to keep coming back...I enjoyed a little chance at something. Can we please get together and maybe bring it back? Thanks much! (going on my 6yr. V.I.P. and 9+ toons in to my journey)
    Dead and buried several years ago, and not coming back. They used data from mylotro, which died before the "new" forums went up. I think it was gone even before Codemasters was bought out/merged. There are a ton of 4+ year old posts on this subforum that talk about it.

    There's still a daily "reason to log in" - hobbit presents.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    15
    I remember that outage... was a big disappointment... because you could get some great stuff from the lottery... now we have hobbit presents which doesn't really do much in my opinion. Especially when I often get a stupid simple horn which is completely useless.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    171
    I miss the chance to get a mount. Got one of the PAX mounts on one character.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,521
    was really awesome!!!
    got several mounts for my toons!
    if it wasnt the lottery i wouldnt be able to get em!
    steed of the burglar on 2 toons
    steed of minas ithil
    cremelo to almost all of them
    n more i cant recall!
    lotr enthousiast since 1996, over 12 years lotro player, lifetimer, Loyal member of the Spartans Kinship and Subleader, now in Evernight imigrants from Eldar

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    21,029
    Quote Originally Posted by Valakircka View Post
    was really awesome!!!
    got several mounts for my toons!
    if it wasnt the lottery i wouldnt be able to get em!
    steed of the burglar on 2 toons
    steed of minas ithil
    cremelo to almost all of them
    n more i cant recall!
    Yeah, it was a bummer when the system went down, I got some really good stuff from the lottery.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    218
    Quote Originally Posted by Anax_Basileus View Post
    I remember that outage... was a big disappointment... because you could get some great stuff from the lottery... now we have hobbit presents which doesn't really do much in my opinion. Especially when I often get a stupid simple horn which is completely useless.
    I miss the lottery, but don't knock Hobbit Presents too hard -- yeah, I've got Dale-Men's Crams coming out my ears and I don't know what to do with rally horns or landscape soldier tokens, and the mark and shard quantities are a joke, but the stockpile of unopened Mathom armour I had built up over time came in very handy while leveling my hunter to 115 without Mordor. Ever since they changed it to boxes that aren't pinned to class or level till you open them, and then open on level instead of at the most recent 10th level, those are way more useful.

    Plus, the gold's always nice.
    § Elendilmir refugee on Ark §

    § Arestelle . 115 | Muiriol . 115 | Safirel . 26 | Sofiraen . 21 | Yvanriel . 21 | Yvyrien . 130 §

    § miraear's threads: a cosmetic history §

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    14
    The lottery system was the best, either they have nobody skilled enough to rewrite a lottery system or they are too stingy to give anything but the lame hobbit presents out for free.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    218
    Quote Originally Posted by Xephita View Post
    The lottery system was the best, either they have nobody skilled enough to rewrite a lottery system or they are too stingy to give anything but the lame hobbit presents out for free.
    Or they simply don't have the dev time available that it would require. I doubt skill has anything to do with it.
    § Elendilmir refugee on Ark §

    § Arestelle . 115 | Muiriol . 115 | Safirel . 26 | Sofiraen . 21 | Yvanriel . 21 | Yvyrien . 130 §

    § miraear's threads: a cosmetic history §

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload