We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Gen Con 2017 Attendance Check

I try to get to Gen Con as often as I can, and will be going this year. A bunch of DDO-playing Gen Con regulars have historically held a Friday Night Gathering for Buffs, and twice in the past then-Turbine was involved. I'm just curious what the LOTRO representation would be like at Gen Con, and if there might be interest in turning the Friday night gathering into a two-game gathering?
    Community Manager, Lord of the Rings Online
    Follow LOTRO on: Twitter - Facebook - Twitch - YouTube
    Personal channels (No SSG talk): Twitch Twitter Facebook
    Support: help.standingstonegames.com
    coolcool

amandakay is offline The Sociable
    Cake Connoisseur

Thumbs up

GEN CON!!! I've been considering going this year, as I have gone before. If there's some sort of LotRO meet-up, I will DEFINITELY be there!
    Amandakay, Elweenia, Melda, Kerthryth, Hallana, and Yaavie of Arkenstone
    Formerly from Elendilmir
    Filling green bars since 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    I try to get to Gen Con as often as I can, and will be going this year. A bunch of DDO-playing Gen Con regulars have historically held a Friday Night Gathering for Buffs, and twice in the past then-Turbine was involved. I'm just curious what the LOTRO representation would be like at Gen Con, and if there might be interest in turning the Friday night gathering into a two-game gathering?
    I wish it were possible for me, as I love both D&D and LotR, but alas. You all have fun storming the castle, though!

love to go, far away tho..........
    lotr enthousiast since 1996, over 12 years lotro player, lifetimer, Loyal member of the Spartans Kinship and Subleader, now in Evernight imigrants from Eldar

Damm Atlantic betwenn To far for me ... But nice to hear about lotro meetings, have a blast o7
    Rucagorn, The White Guardian - Portugal
    fellowshipguardians.guildlaunch.com/

I was thinking of going this year, but I'd absolutely attend for a LOTRO meetup.

So far I have two folks saying they'd be up for a LOTRO meetup Friday evening. Any more?

FYI: Regardless of whether it becomes a formal thing, you are always welcome to attend.
    coolcool

I'll be at gencon, and I'd be delighted to attend, just let us know what time and where

Cake Connoisseur
    For anyone interested in attending Gen Con, tonight is the last night of pre-registration. You may still purchase badges after today, but they are a little more expensive (pre-registration saves you $20-30). My husband and I are definitely going! We are also locals to the Indianapolis area and will be happy to make recommendations of good places to eat. The only bad thing about Indy is parking; however if you are only going for the weekend, you can park on the campus of IUPUI in ST spaces (Sat and Sun only) for free.

Edit: Oh noes, 4 day badges are SOLD OUT! One day passes are still available, though, if you haven't bought one and wish to attend Gen Con. They've stated that you will have to purchase online this year, which is a departure from being able to buy them at the event. I'm tempted to break out my hobbit costume. My husband was one of the lucky few to snag a Moria T-shirt back in 2008(?)...I'm still envious (we married in 2010)! *giggles* Also, some vendors may still be looking for volunteers. Generally, if you volunteer about 16 hours, the vendor will give you a 4 day badge! There's also a Gen Con Indy Facebook group full of crazies...er...experienced Gen Con attendees...it's filled with the expected combination of useful information, random chatter, and whining, but it is a good place for tips if you've never been. It's also the 50th Gen Con...on the 10th year of LotRO...how cool is that?!?! I might have to make some cookies.
    Last edited by amandakay; Jul 06 2017 at 09:54 PM.
    Formerly from Elendilmir

Cake Connoisseur
    Less than a week from Gen Con! I discovered on the DDO forums that some of them are meeting next Friday evening, 6pm EDT at
    Severin Bar
    40 W Jackson Pl, Indianapolis, IN 46225

About a month ago, Cordovan mentioned bringing DDO swag with him...at the very least my husband and I will "crash" the DDO party, and I might come in rather bright hobbit attire if I can find the perfect final accessory on Thursday.

At any rate, I know of at least a couple other LotRO players who'll be at Gen Con...so I hope to see others there! Oh, and this isn't within Gen Con proper, so if you live around Indianapolis, you can still come crash the party. *giggles*
    Formerly from Elendilmir

Quote Originally Posted by amandakay View Post
    Less than a week from Gen Con! I discovered on the DDO forums that some of them are meeting next Friday evening, 6pm EDT at
    Severin Bar
    40 W Jackson Pl, Indianapolis, IN 46225

About a month ago, Cordovan mentioned bringing DDO swag with him...at the very least my husband and I will "crash" the DDO party, and I might come in rather bright hobbit attire if I can find the perfect final accessory on Thursday.

At any rate, I know of at least a couple other LotRO players who'll be at Gen Con...so I hope to see others there! Oh, and this isn't within Gen Con proper, so if you live around Indianapolis, you can still come crash the party. *giggles*
    Yes kinda, but the time is not correct. Please do crash the party and say hello! The annual "Friday Night Gathering for Buffs" for DDO peeps at Gen Con will be on Friday night, starting around 8pm-ish. It's been a DDO thing since at least 2007, but is always welcoming of LOTRO players as well. The reality is Gen Con Friday night is a madhouse, and it spills into downtown Indianapolis that evening, so we have to be super-flexible on the exact start time and location. The intention is to be at the Severin Bar, and that's probably where it'll be, but we've learned over the years that sometimes a backup is necessary. There was the year of the Colts thing, and the year of the biker rally....and it looks like a gaming podcast is intending to do a meetup around the same time at the same location, so we'll see how it goes. I intend to try to be in the area around 7:30ish, and will probably hang until after 8ish and see how it goes before making a decision. If we end up being somewhere else, I'll get the word out on Twitter and Facebook (LOTRO official, along with personal). If you want to attend and are super-stuck trying to find me/us, DM me on Twitter.

I do have LOTRO swag! Because I have more swag than I can possibly carry to the meetup, I will have a backpack with stuff in it at the convention itself. So, if you see me wandering around, please feel free to come up and say hello, and I'll get you a quest reward. I've got some hoodies, t-shirts, and a few other goodies. It's all older swag, but if you don't have it, it's new to you.
    coolcool

Glad to see some interest from Hobbit-side!

In years long passed, I'd posted over here about the Gathering, but had gotten slim responses.

We'll try to 'acquire' some table space at the Severin bar, but with another event there at about the same time we may have to do some scouting. No matter where, the Gathering shall not be denied!

Look for folks in DDO-themed shirts. That'll probably be us - and if it ain't bring those lost souls along with ya.

Brandy: Cupcakes of Doom.
    Landro: Trueheart Companions.

Cake Connoisseur
    Thanks, for the clarification, Cordovan! I would have been terribly confused. I hope you have a safe trip to Indianapolis.

Oh, another random thought. There are a couple of free WiFi hotspots around the center of Indy: Circle City Guest and Reds. Always be safe when using free unsecured WiFi, but it's better than having to pay for it in a pinch. Also, there will be food trucks Wednesday through Sunday...some of which I know from experience are great. There's a schedule on the Gen Con Facebook group, but in general, They'll be on Georgia and Capital streets Wednesday evening, then the rest of the weekend from 11am-11pm. There will also be some on South Street Thursday through Saturday 11am-6pm, and a few at St. John's Catholic Church Friday and Saturday all day. (can you tell I'm excited?)
    Formerly from Elendilmir

The meetup is at the Social Bar next to Union Station and kitty corner from the Omni Severin. Will be here for at least a few more hours.
    coolcool