We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Game crashes when trying to change Graphics/Screen Resolution

This has been happening to me for a few days now when ever I go to try and change my graphics or when I try to change screen the Resolution i get a 105 error and the message Could not initialize direct3D right I have Directx12 if that helps and I've tried reinstall both through steam and the client
    Last edited by Zumakalis; Apr 25 2018 at 12:18 AM.

Try the solution in this thread. Should work.

So, I love Hurin's posts. THEY ARE AMAZING, THANK YOU, you have solved so many problems for me. There is one thing not in your DirectX posts that fixes many issues for me (even without uninstalling everything) that I finally found - NVIDIA drivers break the DirectX settings if you are running the game in the 64bit client and through Steam (and this may work in the standalone client as well). From this post (https://www.legendarycasual.com/64-b...bit%20launcher.) the issue is that NVIDIA is attempting to run the game through "Integrated Graphics", regardless of its global settings, which looks like it causes it to fail to find the files.

So to fix it, what you do is enter your NVIDIA control panel, click "Manage 3D Settings", find in the screen "Select a program to customize" and click "Add" and look for the file "lotroclient64.exe". Add it, and back in the earlier screen find "Select the preferred graphics processor" and choose something like "High-performance NVIDIA processor".

After doing this, for the first time ever it RECOGNIZED MY DIRECTX 11!!!!! I am crying!!! I have played this game for years and it finally wooooorksssssss.

Jeffrico is a GOD!!

After wading thru so many posts, his nvidia solution was exactly what I needed!! I thought I was going to have to abandon the game. Thank you Jeffrico!
    MYTHICA
    Zealous, yet modest; Innocent, though free; Patient of toil; Serene amidst alarms; Inflexible in faith; Invincible in arms

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrico View Post
    So, I love Hurin's posts. THEY ARE AMAZING, THANK YOU, you have solved so many problems for me. There is one thing not in your DirectX posts that fixes many issues for me (even without uninstalling everything) that I finally found - NVIDIA drivers break the DirectX settings if you are running the game in the 64bit client and through Steam (and this may work in the standalone client as well). From this post (https://www.legendarycasual.com/64-b...bit%20launcher.) the issue is that NVIDIA is attempting to run the game through "Integrated Graphics", regardless of its global settings, which looks like it causes it to fail to find the files.

So to fix it, what you do is enter your NVIDIA control panel, click "Manage 3D Settings", find in the screen "Select a program to customize" and click "Add" and look for the file "lotroclient64.exe". Add it, and back in the earlier screen find "Select the preferred graphics processor" and choose something like "High-performance NVIDIA processor".

After doing this, for the first time ever it RECOGNIZED MY DIRECTX 11!!!!! I am crying!!! I have played this game for years and it finally wooooorksssssss.
    I'm trying to follow this but I don't know where you mean the earlier screen with "select the preferred graphics processor" is?

You have UserPreferences.ini in C:\Users\Your Name\Documents\The Lord of the Rings Online. You need change settings here first, otherwise game can crash when you change your settings because of conflict between 2 different setups