We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Attending Gen Con or in the Indianapolis area August 3rd? Let's Meet Up!

If you are attending Gen Con in Indianapolis this year (August 2 - 5), or live in or close enough to the Indianapolis area to want to attend, we're hosting an official player meetup on Friday, August 3rd from 7:00pm-10:00pm Eastern at Social on McCrea! Besides hanging out with fellow Lord of the Rings Online and Dungeons & Dragons Online players, you'll have an opportunity to chat with us, pick up swag, win prizes, and have serious fun!

Details:

Where: Social on McCrea
    When: Friday, August 3rd 7:00pm-10:00pm Eastern (-4 GMT)
    What: A meetup of LOTRO and DDO players, along with some SSG employees, and perhaps even a few special guests. Swag, fun, giveaways, and more! We might even have a few secrets to spill. There is a cash bar available. Must be over the age of 21 to enter the establishment.

For those who were at Gen Con last year, this is the same place we crashed last year, but this time it's official! We've rented Social out for the three hours for a private event. There's a good chance some of us will continue to hang out after 10:00pm, but that'll be informal and dependent on schedules.
    Community Manager, Lord of the Rings Online
    Follow LOTRO on: Twitter - Facebook - Twitch - YouTube
    Personal channels (No SSG talk): Twitch Twitter Facebook
    Support: help.standingstonegames.com
    coolcool

amandakay is offline The Sociable
    Cake Connoisseur
    Count us two in again this year! I should warn everyone coming from out of town, though: it's road construction season. If anyone's driving down from the Chicago area, I-65 may be closed in pieces once you get to Indy. Google's map app seems to know exactly where the clousures are, so I've been relying on it heavily for my daily work commute. There's also a piece of 70 closed which might affect people coming from the east. The I-65 closures are _supposed_ to complete...right after Gen Con, ugh. Oh, and Con hint from a local: the City Market (which is on Market St. 2-3 blocks east of the circle) is a great place to go for lunch with a crowd. Yes, it's quite a walk from the convention center, but it's not far from the Fieldhouse, all of the restaurant booths are local, and Market St at that block closes on Wednesdays for the weekly farmer's market. It's also a good way to get away from the con crowd if you need it (though you may bump into local IT nerds and business people). The City Market opens daily at 11am, and the farmer's market opens on Wednesday at 9:30am.

Oh! Cordovan! My husband wanted me to mention that if you have some free time during Gen Con, the Half Price Books in Avon (just west of Indy) often has old Atari games in the original boxes. It's very easy to find and a regular haunt of ours.
    Last edited by amandakay; Jul 14 2018 at 08:12 PM.
    Amandakay, Elweenia, Melda, Kerthryth, Hallana, and Yaavie of Arkenstone
    Formerly from Elendilmir
    Filling green bars since 2007

Quote Originally Posted by amandakay View Post
    Count us two in again this year! I should warn everyone coming from out of town, though: it's road construction season. If anyone's driving down from the Chicago area, I-65 may be closed in pieces once you get to Indy. Google's map app seems to know exactly where the clousures are, so I've been relying on it heavily for my daily work commute. There's also a piece of 70 closed which might affect people coming from the east. The I-65 closures are _supposed_ to complete...right after Gen Con, ugh. Oh, and Con hint from a local: the City Market (which is on Market St. 2-3 blocks east of the circle) is a great place to go for lunch with a crowd. Yes, it's quite a walk from the convention center, but it's not far from the Fieldhouse, all of the restaurant booths are local, and Market St at that block closes on Wednesdays for the weekly farmer's market. It's also a good way to get away from the con crowd if you need it (though you may bump into local IT nerds and business people). The City Market opens daily at 11am, and the farmer's market opens on Wednesday at 9:30am.

Oh! Cordovan! My husband wanted me to mention that if you have some free time during Gen Con, the Half Price Books in Avon (just west of Indy) often has old Atari games in the original boxes. It's very easy to find and a regular haunt of ours.
    Cool! Will have to check that out, assuming they aren't purchased thanks to the attention we are giving it. I used to buy laserdiscs from that Half Price Books. Yes, laserdiscs...
    coolcool

always though one of these would be interesting,but I'll be
    at work and I already burned most of my vacation days.got
    to save what i got left for something else i got planned for
    later on in the year. :/

I wish I could!! I hope you guys have a great time, maybe grab some pics to share with the rest of us.
    Owner - Laurelin RP Group Discord server - https://discord.me/laurelinrp

I wish I could attend but I live far away. Have a great time and don't forget to post pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    If you are attending Gen Con in Indianapolis this year (August 2 - 5), or live in or close enough to the Indianapolis area to want to attend, we're hosting an official player meetup on Friday, August 3rd from 7:00pm-10:00pm Eastern at Social on McCrea! Besides hanging out with fellow Lord of the Rings Online and Dungeons & Dragons Online players, you'll have an opportunity to chat with us, pick up swag, win prizes, and have serious fun!

Details:

What: A meetup of LOTRO and DDO players, along with some SSG employees, and perhaps even a few special guests. Swag, fun, giveaways, and more! We might even have a few secrets to spill. There is a cash bar available. Must be over the age of 21 to enter the establishment.

For those who were at Gen Con last year, this is the same place we crashed last year, but this time it's official! We've rented Social out for the three hours for a private event. There's a good chance some of us will continue to hang out after 10:00pm, but that'll be informal and dependent on schedules.
    why do I have to be over 21 to go to the gathering?

Quote Originally Posted by Timawas View Post
    Rules of entering the premesis likely (bar serving gaffers ale)
    lil 'obbit of Evernight..

The Ascensio

Details:

Bugger it all, I lived in Indiana all those years and now that I've moved out of state... *cries*
    Hope you all have a blast, please post pics!!

Quote Originally Posted by Timawas View Post
    Yeah, sorry, it's because this is taking place at a bar.
    coolcool

I was working yesterday to organize our swag. We'll have a couple of nice new things to raffle off in addition to our older swag. Some folks will have already received this stuff, but not everyone, so if you never had the chance to get, say, a t-shirt, there's a good chance you'll be able to get one.

I plan on distributing tickets at the door for DDO, LOTRO, and special raffle swag, then once we get settled in we'll have folks drop off their DDO/LOTRO tickets in exchange for one of something. After everyone has had a chance to get something (assuming we have enough swag for everyone - I hope so), then the remainder of the pile will be free for the taking. If for some reason our crowd is much larger than expected, we'll have to raffle off the DDO and LOTRO swag as well. Mid-party, we'll do the drawings for the three signed DDO Mists of Ravenloft posters, six LOTRO calendars, and two signed LOTRO Collector's Edition boxes.

If you are a YouTuber/Blogger/Twitcher/whatever, we will have a brief opportunity to record something with Severlin, me, and/or Tolero if you want.
    coolcool

Details:

I shall be there.

I will be there! I'm traveling from NE Ok.

I hope I at least get a T-Shirt!

Nice to see folks coming to this. Can't wait for Friday!
    coolcool

common dudes its summer !
    why dont you come to a more sunny place near to me? :P
    lets say Greece?
    LOTS of bars n other meeting places you can find there not to mention other goodies!!!
    lotr enthousiast since 1996, over 12 years lotro player, lifetimer, Loyal member of the Spartans Kinship and Subleader, now in Evernight imigrants from Eldar

SSG_RedPanda is offline The Lord of the Rings Online Team
    I attempted to stowaway in Cord's trunk. That plan failed

Have fun everyone!

Milarien is offline The Sociable
    The Healer
    House of Finwë
    Audience Member
    Mae Govannen
    I'm not sure if you're planning to stop by again this year, but Social's is now closed, apparently. Let us know what's up when you know, thanks!
    Milarien Cardhra of Lorien (Minstrel), various other Mils et al
    (Minstrel: The Tootsie Roll Pop of Middle Earth!)
    Ring Guard of Rivendell (Gladden, formerly of Elendilmir), founded in beta (on Meneldor)

Milarien, et al (Hunter, Minstrel, Rune-keeper)
    Better Biscuit Bureau (Treebeard)

Quote Originally Posted by Milarien View Post
    I'm not sure if you're planning to stop by again this year, but Social's is now closed, apparently. Let us know what's up when you know, thanks!

Noooooooo

Hmm, ok. It is not yet clear whether I will be attending and what our plans are, but I guess we'll need to find a new place if we host something. I recall another option a few years ago, so hopefully it'll be fine.
    coolcool

Milarien is offline The Sociable
    The Healer
    House of Finwë
    Audience Member
    Mae Govannen
    GenCon 2023?
    Milarien Cardhra of Lorien (Minstrel), various other Mils et al
    (Minstrel: The Tootsie Roll Pop of Middle Earth!)
    Ring Guard of Rivendell (Gladden, formerly of Elendilmir), founded in beta (on Meneldor)

Milarien, et al (Hunter, Minstrel, Rune-keeper)
    Better Biscuit Bureau (Treebeard)