We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Talking Learning plugin coding in 2018

Recently started to look into lotro plugin development as I am by nature a curious programmer.

My idea is to learn the nuts and bolts and document this for others as I go along.
    I don't mind reading source code, as this is what I do all day anyway.

The humble start of my work can be seen at https://github.com/shorinji/LotroPluginExamples/

- Does it look correct so far?

- What sources did you use for learning plugin development?

I am aware of the 'Writing LoTRO lua plugins for noobs" thread here on the forum, which is great.

Have looked a bit at the sources of plugins like BuffBars, and this can off course be one way.

Happy for all constructive feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by Muddo View Post
    Recently started to look into lotro plugin development as I am by nature a curious programmer.

My idea is to learn the nuts and bolts and document this for others as I go along.
    I don't mind reading source code, as this is what I do all day anyway.

The humble start of my work can be seen at https://github.com/shorinji/LotroPluginExamples/

- Does it look correct so far?
    - What sources did you use for learning plugin development?

I am aware of the 'Writing LoTRO lua plugins for noobs" thread here on the forum, which is great.

Have looked a bit at the sources of plugins like BuffBars, and this can off course be one way.
    I'm primarily a Plugin User, not a programmer, as my Languages are Fortran IV and COBOL . . .

"Writing LoTRO lua plugins for noobs" is the oldest and really the Only resource other than working plugins.
    Buff Bars is a good one, as are all of Garen's interfaces.
    Item Treasury and Item Database by Galuhad are also very useful.

The last "documentation" update was Octobe of 2017 - https://www.lotrointerface.com/downloads/info997-UpdatedLuaDocumentation.html

The Lua interface to LOTRO has never been an Officially supported environment.
    It, like quite a few other aspects of LOTRO, was a "spare time" project, created and maintained by one or two developers over the years because they believed in it.

As such, the API has been thinly supported. In fact, I don't know that it has any Dev support at all currently!
    The "Skinning Pack" was last updated by Silorien in March of 2018, for Update 22 - before the current wave of Graphics updates.
    I don't know if that imples Silorien is the current "support" for the Lua Interface or not. Garen might know.

And, yes, I should add . . . the API is pretty skimpy in what it makes available to the user.
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden
    Sr. Editor LOTRO-Wiki.com

Val - Man Minstrel (108)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (71)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (120)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (107)
    Valhad - Elf LM (66)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (87)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (81)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (71)
    Valanne - Beorning (105)