We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pontin_Finnberry View Post
    It has been along debate about what rights amazon has, well It is confirmed Amazon does NOT have rights to any other works, only The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers and The Return of the King, the writers of the article were able to answer that question in live chat today with fans, as they had a quote from the Showrunners themselves they also noted there was more to say that didn't make it into article but that we would get more next week from the Showrunners.
    *dumb dog head tilt*

May Eru have mercy on us this year!

Sounds like they've made, are making, a lot of stuff up to me. I hope they're not just gonna throw standard fantasy tropes around known characters, like Galadriel and Elrond for example, and actually recognise that they're both old by human standards and not a couple of teenagers or YAs and, even more importantly, not actually human. (Well, apart from half of Elrond, obviously.) And that "not actually human" doesn't mean like gravity defying Legolas. (Sigh!)

And if all the dwarves are Gimli clones I will literally scream at the screen.

I'm particularly anxious about this "meteor man" that's been mentioned a few times. I hope that's not as silly as it sounds. I'm hoping even more that's it's just a distraction for the rumour mill they've been running and isn't at all what it sounds like. And it sounds stupid to me. (I guess it could be code for Earendil but that's even more stupid and is entirely my stupid made up right now on the spot. Please shoot me.)

Anyway. On to the trailer at the weekend. Let's see if they can provoke more people to get their knickers in a twist. (Not here. Here, as ever, has been nicely civilized. I've been watching a few YouTube vids and, perilously, reading the comments.)

I had a knee jerk reaction at an elf being black because of the over saturation of "woke" in today's society, but then I remembered that Tuvok from Star Trek Voyager grew on me, and I actually loved Tim Ross(actor playing Tuvok) performing as Tuvok. So, I don't have an issue with it.

But, being a HUGE Tim Ross fan, I have to say that this is his finest performance:

"Grandchildren are God's reward for not killing your children when you wanted to."

Just thinking on one thing.

If Amazon only has the exact same Rights as LOTRO does then this is actually a perfect scenario for LOTRO's future.

Unless there is already Plans for more Second Age Content that are in the Development Pipeline, the SSG LOTRO Team should wait and see how Season 1 plays out.

Then if they'd want to explore the Second Age for the same "Events" Amazon are doing, they can just one up them and avoid all the possible issues for what mostly has to be made up regardless between Key Events.

Just always plan Second Age Content for after a Season wraps up, pending how many Seasons it gets and boom, winning scenario & strategy.

It has been a long debate about what rights amazon has, well It is confirmed Amazon does NOT have rights to any other works, only The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers and The Return of the King, the writers of the article were able to answer that question in live chat today with fans, as they had a quote from the Showrunners themselves they also noted there was more to say that didn't make it into article but that we would get more next week from the Showrunners.

Edit: Quoting what was exactly was said on the live twitter chat today:

J.D. says, We do not have the rights to the The Sillmarilion, to the Unfinnished Tales, to The History of Middle-Earth, neither of the volumes to those other books, we have the rights solely to Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, Return and the Appendecies, and thats it. and so and The Hobbit.
    So... nothing's to stop them from remaking the Hobbit? Would that they had tried that first - can't ruin what's already spoiled. At the very least it might've given them some experience to work off (and credibility), rather than throwing themselves headlong into a massive series.
    Last edited by AConyl; Feb 12 2022 at 06:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AConyl View Post
    So... nothing's to stop them from remaking the Hobbit? Would that they had tried that first - can't ruin what's already spoiled. At the very least it might've given them some experience to work off (and credibility), rather than throwing themselves headlong into a massive series.
    There's no point in remaking The Hobbit again so soon, just cause they have rights to it doesn't mean they should use it, Second Age TV series IMO is way better and something new for the screen, rather then something already done recently, no more remakes or adaptations of the same story, better they use Tolkien's other writings and do something different.
    Pontin Level 140 Hobbit Burglar Leader of Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    other classes: Minstrel, Guardian, Captain, Hunter.

Taken many Screenshots of Middle-earth, Also a Moderator of the LotRO Community Discord server

Quote Originally Posted by DavidmeetHal View Post
    I had a knee jerk reaction at an elf being black because of the over saturation of "woke" in today's society, but then I remembered that Tuvok from Star Trek Voyager grew on me, and I actually loved Tim Ross(actor playing Tuvok) performing as Tuvok. So, I don't have an issue with it.
    Tolkien never said Elves have pointy ears so there's only a tenuous link there, but anyway I didn't so much as bat an eyelid at that casting in ST:V because Vulcan's a whole planet, after all, there'd be people living all over it and so you'd rather expect there to be a range of skin tones among them. Especially given that the place was arid, with a relatively thin atmosphere, proverbially hot and with intense sunlight so you'd imagine it'd get pretty damn toasty at lower latitudes, lots and lots of UV. So that all works as sci-fi. And yeah, on top of that Tim Ross did a great job so all told that was an example of how to do diversity well.

With Elves, now, there was never the idea that they were 'meant' to inhabit the whole world, whereas Men of course were. So really not the same.

Amazon Studios’ forthcoming series brings to screens for the very first time the heroic legends of the fabled Second Age of Middle-earth's history. This epic drama is set thousands of years before the events of J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, and will take viewers back to an era in which great powers were forged, kingdoms rose to glory and fell to ruin, unlikely heroes were tested, hope hung by the finest of threads, and the greatest villain that ever flowed from Tolkien’s pen threatened to cover all the world in darkness.

Beginning in a time of relative peace, the series follows an ensemble cast of characters, both familiar and new, as they confront the long-feared re-emergence of evil to Middle-earth. From the darkest depths of the Misty Mountains, to the majestic forests of the elf-capital of Lindon, to the breathtaking island kingdom of Númenor, to the furthest reaches of the map, these kingdoms and characters will carve out legacies that live on long after they are gone.

Also, the first two episodes are supposed to be a Prologue and showing off the First Age. This being based off the Lord of the Rings & the Appendices for this whole Series.

We're pretty much seeing with Pre-Show Teasers, etc the 4th Unique Version of Tolkien's Middle-Earth: Tolkien's Books, Peter Jackson's LOTRs & the Hobbit Movies, The Lord of the Rings Online and soon the Amazon LOTR TV Series.

It definitely doesn't seem like it'll be Lore friendly, just Based-on Lore.

So if one goes into such with that kind of perspective, will likely help.
    Last edited by Harvain; Feb 13 2022 at 09:17 PM.

I'm neutral to vaguely positive on the trailer. It was good, not great. Not enough context given to really judge.

I can tell what some things are, like one of the ports of Numenor with Meneltarma in the background (could be Lindon, but one dominant mountain makes it unlikely to be the Blue Mountains). Probably the use of the famous Mithril Axe in another. And some things we know from the character poster reveals, like which shots are with Galadriel and Elrond and Durin. A hobbit progenitor. Presumably Gil-Galad.

I like the opening line and how it was said, felt very Tolkien.

But I do have one complaint - the fakeness of the tusked Troll.

Quote Originally Posted by Radhruin_EU View Post
    Tolkien never said Elves have pointy ears so there's only a tenuous link there, but anyway I didn't so much as bat an eyelid at that casting in ST:V because Vulcan's a whole planet, after all, there'd be people living all over it and so you'd rather expect there to be a range of skin tones among them. Especially given that the place was arid, with a relatively thin atmosphere, proverbially hot and with intense sunlight so you'd imagine it'd get pretty damn toasty at lower latitudes, lots and lots of UV. So that all works as sci-fi. And yeah, on top of that Tim Ross did a great job so all told that was an example of how to do diversity well.

With Elves, now, there was never the idea that they were 'meant' to inhabit the whole world, whereas Men of course were. So really not the same.
    I know that Rad, and I'm not disagreeing with you at all. I'm just saying that I'm not nerd raging over it.

I just hope that it's not going to be like their Wheel of Time and shoehorn in every possible social group for representation. It really takes away from the plot and screams agenda.
    "Grandchildren are God's reward for not killing your children when you wanted to."

Vanity Fair have another article up about the trailer with some, I assume from Amazon, details about what and who's shown. Which may class as spoilers, I guess. https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...trailer-amazon
    Last edited by Altair6; Feb 14 2022 at 03:22 AM.

Putting this here for later - I am certain they will butcher Elrond. They've turned him from a kind, fatherly figure who is also a warrior and scholar to... an ambitious politician? The Elrond who has lived through pointless defeats and victories caused by one Elf's arrogance? Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions, but I'm getting a strong arrogant-politician-redeems-himself feeling from this, which would be totally unneeded...
    To use the PJ movies as a yardstick, this series has to be no less lore-friendly and no worse in quality than them to stand up on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by AConyl View Post
    Putting this here for later - I am certain they will butcher Elrond. They've turned him from a kind, fatherly figure who is also a warrior and scholar to... an ambitious politician? The Elrond who has lived through pointless defeats and victories caused by one Elf's arrogance? Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions, but I'm getting a strong arrogant-politician-redeems-himself feeling from this, which would be totally unneeded...
    To use the PJ movies as a yardstick, this series has to be no less lore-friendly and no worse in quality than them to stand up on its own.
    Well Elrond had to start somewhere. He's still quite young, for an elf, in this series and is probably working his way up through the ranks in Gil-Galad's realm of Lindon.

That's something people seem to be forgetting, which the Tolkien Prof pointed out earlier when he was a guest on a YouTube panel reviewing the trailer. Galadriel, in equivalent human years as per Tolkien himself in "The Nature of Middle Earth", is only in her mid twenties. And elves mature, it would seem, at a somewhat equivalent or slower rate than Men (measured in equivalent man-years). So she's hardly growed up at all, just like a mid-twenties human. All hot-headed and fiesty (for an elf), willing to take risks to get the kingdom she left Valinor to get.

And Elrond is younger than her. They're thousands of years older when we see them in LotR. Like Elrond says, "I was there, 3,000 years ago". And that there he's talking about is later in his story from where he is in this series, so it's 3,000 plus some more. Of course he's not the same character he is in LotR. He wasn't born fatherly and wise. The extra 3,000 years and all the stuff he's seen and lived through is what gives him that. Same with Galadriel. They grew up.

Quote Originally Posted by Altair6 View Post
    Well Elrond had to start somewhere. He's still quite young, for an elf, in this series and is probably working his way up through the ranks in Gil-Galad's realm of Lindon.
    If that's what they mean by 'politically ambitious' (getting himself into Gil-galad's inner circle as an adviser) then yes. Unclear as yet how Gil-galad factors into the series, though (we know from what they've said that they're leaning heavily on Galadriel being the one who says not to trust Annatar - or whatever their Sauron-in-disguise might be calling himself - whereas as Tolkien wrote it, Gil-galad didn't trust him either).

That's something people seem to be forgetting, which the Tolkien Prof pointed out earlier when he was a guest on a YouTube panel reviewing the trailer. Galadriel, in equivalent human years as per Tolkien himself in "The Nature of Middle Earth", is only in her mid twenties. And elves mature, it would seem, at a somewhat equivalent or slower rate than Men (measured in equivalent man-years). So she's hardly growed up at all, just like a mid-twenties human. All hot-headed and fiesty (for an elf), willing to take risks to get the kingdom she left Valinor to get.
    Not according to the section on the ageing of Elves, which would put her in the equivalent of her late thirties (which sounds a lot more likely). And she's married, and should already have had her daughter Celebrian. Now sure, when she'd first arrived in Beleriand at the start of the First Age she'd have been young and brash but she'd been through a lot since then. Most particularly studying under Melian, who passed on a lot of lore and wisdom to her. At the point Sauron turns up and starts inveigling his way into the Jewel-smiths' confidence, she's the Lady of Eregion (until the Jewel-smiths turn on her and Celeborn, and Celebrimbor takes charge).

The way the series appears to be turning her into what people are calling "Galadriel: Warrior Princess', an action heroine, is bogus. Like it's not enough for them to have a strong female character, she has to go around kicking butt as well. Lore-wise, she hadn't fought against Morgoth and there's no indication she fought in the War of the Elves and Sauron either.

If that's what they mean by 'politically ambitious' (getting himself into Gil-galad's inner circle as an adviser) then yes. Unclear as yet how Gil-galad factors into the series, though (we know from what they've said that they're leaning heavily on Galadriel being the one who says not to trust Annatar - or whatever their Sauron-in-disguise might be calling himself - whereas as Tolkien wrote it, Gil-galad didn't trust him either).

Not according to the section on the ageing of Elves, which would put her in the equivalent of her late thirties (which sounds a lot more likely). And she's married, and should already have had her daughter Celebrian. Now sure, when she'd first arrived in Beleriand at the start of the First Age she'd have been young and brash but she'd been through a lot since then. Most particularly studying under Melian, who passed on a lot of lore and wisdom to her. At the point Sauron turns up and starts inveigling his way into the Jewel-smiths' confidence, she's the Lady of Eregion (until the Jewel-smiths turn on her and Celeborn, and Celebrimbor takes charge).

The way the series appears to be turning her into what people are calling "Galadriel: Warrior Princess', an action heroine, is bogus. Like it's not enough for them to have a strong female character, she has to go around kicking butt as well. Lore-wise, she hadn't fought against Morgoth and there's no indication she fought in the War of the Elves and Sauron either.

Don't understand why smart and strong female characters have to fight physically. It is everywhere now like this is the way a real woman is. I guess they think strong and smart needs to be fighting. It is just ridiculous how women are portrayed in movies and TV today.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidmeetHal View Post
    I just hope that it's not going to be like their Wheel of Time and shoehorn in every possible social group for representation. It really takes away from the plot and screams agenda.
    I know this is an aside that's off topic, but the Wheel of Time (TV series) is clearly meant to take place in the distant future. There are already people of all races living all over our world today, so in the future all races would continue to mix and mingle. The racial diversity in the show fits that timeline. What other "social group" fits into an "agenda?" There were bi/gay people in the show but also in the WoT books, so that fits too. What was the "agenda" in the TV show?

Quote Originally Posted by wispsong View Post
    Don't understand why smart and strong female characters have to fight physically. It is everywhere now like this is the way a real woman is. I guess they think strong and smart needs to be fighting. It is just ridiculous how women are portrayed in movies and TV today.
    Sadly, I think it's just the violence in our movies and TV. EVERYONE fights physically. Every conflict is solved with a fist, a gun, or a blade. Women in media used to be damsels who were saved/killed/captured while the men fought. Now that women are being given roles of equal strength and importance, they're going to fight because that's all anybody does in modern entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Halphast View Post
    I know this is an aside that's off topic, but the Wheel of Time (TV series) is clearly meant to take place in the distant future. There are already people of all races living all over our world today, so in the future all races would continue to mix and mingle. The racial diversity in the show fits that timeline. What other "social group" fits into an "agenda?" There were bi/gay people in the show but also in the WoT books, so that fits too. What was the "agenda" in the TV show?

Because it's done so much in media, it's almost a joke to see how many social groups can be placed in a show or movie. It's nothing more than raising your hand and saying "look Ma! We're progressive!" It's done so much it's a joke now.

Quote Originally Posted by Halphast View Post
    Intersectional representation, i.e. identity politics. Amazon literally have a quota for that in their productions.

You can tell when a production is doing that rather than trying to be realistic because you get this kind of "one of everything" casting, like someone's marking off a checklist. (Because they are).

Sadly, I think it's just the violence in our movies and TV. EVERYONE fights physically. Every conflict is solved with a fist, a gun, or a blade. Women in media used to be damsels who were saved/killed/captured while the men fought. Now that women are being given roles of equal strength and importance, they're going to fight because that's all anybody does in modern entertainment.
    It's not so much that but how they're badly distorting an existing character to shoehorn her into that sort of role. It's the only sort of fantasy they apparently know how to write. Does not bode well.

Also, it's not like everyone does that in everything. Look at Cersei Lannister in GoT. Or Daenerys. Or Olenna Tyrell. Those were all strong female characters, and each extremely dangerous in their own way but not through doing any fighting themselves.

Not according to the section on the ageing of Elves, which would put her in the equivalent of her late thirties
    I was just quoting the Prof. Not done the math myself and got a bit bored watching him go over it on Twitch so don't really know the numbers. All a bit dry and TMI for me. You and the Prof can argue the math between yourselves.

Great Teaser Trailer i think, can't wait see more!

Anyway some more news about the TV series, 10 burning questions answered.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...rings-of-power
    Pontin Level 140 Hobbit Burglar Leader of Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    other classes: Minstrel, Guardian, Captain, Hunter.

Taken many Screenshots of Middle-earth, Also a Moderator of the LotRO Community Discord server

Only downside of Vanity Fair is they only give you X amount of views per Month before you need a Subscription.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvain View Post
    Only downside of Vanity Fair is they only give you X amount of views per Month before you need a Subscription.
    Not if you zap the cookies

That article's not terribly informative. They make a contrived excuse for Galadriel running about fighting, equivocating between things Tolkien said about her in the First Age and before with her as she was in the Second Age as if they were one and the same. They weren't - she was married with a young daughter, and Tolkien did *not* imagine married Elf-women going off to war, although he'd left the door open for 'Amazonian' warrior maidens. In other words, someone like Tauriel from the Hobbit movies is perfectly okay lore-wise but a Second Age warrior Galadriel is not. And we know she didn't join the fight against Morgoth either, so they're barking up the wrong tree there. That's what happens when you try to mess with an established character.

The dude who falls out of the sky is a big question mark. Looks like he has a beard. Goodness only knows who or what he's meant to be.

The romance between an Elf and a mortal woman - it depends how they play it. If it's like the tale of Andreth (where it's doomed from the start, the Elf turns aside from her to spare both of them more pain and he later dies in battle) then all is good. It wouldn't surprise me if they did that because Andreth was a wise-woman and the woman in the series is a healer, so that's already close enough to invite comparisons.

Should fans be worried, they ask. Well you can guess what the show-runners say, of course. Some of us may however beg to differ... if anyone should be running about fighting it'd be Elrond (who was a brave young captain in Gil-galad's service, then). And where's Celeborn?

The dude who falls out of the sky is a big question mark. Looks like he has a beard. Goodness only knows who or what he's meant to be.
    Folks have been throwing around the idea the Meteor in the sky + dude who falls are one in the same.

Folks throwing around the idea that it is one of the Istari. Which one of the folks from the Pictures and Trailer for the Rings of Power does have a "Gandalf" vibe at least in terms of what we see from the Peter Jackson' Gandalf the Grey for his attire, especially the color of his clothes and the gloves on his hands.

Which it wouldn't be the first LOTR Version that threw one of the beings who would be among the Istari already being in Middle-Earth ahead of their Third Age Arrivals as we had Gandalf here in LOTRO for being in the Story during the Second Age and fighting Sauron in an Elven guise.

So wait and see but definitely going to be a very unique version for good or ill.

It's too soon to tell, but from what it looks like, it might be good quality stuff like Game of Thrones. And no, I'm not saying there will be sex and gore lol.

Rad keeps talking about the Witcher. I'm not working and I do have Netflix, I'm gonna have to check it out. I liked Cowboy Beebop, good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvain View Post
    Folks have been throwing around the idea the Meteor in the sky + dude who falls are one in the same.
    Because there's that shot of him apparently emerging from that weird burning whatever-it-is and it seems like an odd coincidence otherwise. Fireballs from the sky isn't an established trope. The only thing we know of that should be scooting around up there is Earendil on his flying ship.

Folks throwing around the idea that it is one of the Istari. Which one of the folks from the Pictures and Trailer for the Rings of Power does have a "Gandalf" vibe at least in terms of what we see from the Peter Jackson' Gandalf the Grey for his attire, especially the color of his clothes and the gloves on his hands.

Which it wouldn't be the first LOTR Version that threw one of the beings who would be among the Istari already being in Middle-Earth ahead of their Third Age Arrivals as we had Gandalf here in LOTRO for being in the Story during the Second Age and fighting Sauron in an Elven guise.
    The guy in the shot is bearded and appears to have arrived near-naked. Also, the whole reason the Istari were sent to Middle-earth in the Third Age was that the Elves no longer had the strength to defeat Sauron, whereas in the Second Age there were both the High Elves and the Numenoreans to fight him. So that wouldn't work as a plot point. Also, a bit of an unnecessarily dramatic way for one of the Istari to arrive given that Gandalf just turned up on a ship. (Something that would be much easier to do in the Second Age than the Third), So it's weird.

Wild thought: unless it's Sauron, and this is how he fakes his arrival? They might have gone for a different take on what he looks like if the whole handsome Annatar thing is out of bounds. What made me wonder was that promo shot of someone holding an apple (symbolic of temptation). And there's a shot in the trailer of someone who I think is Celebrimbor seeing the fireball in the sky.

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast