We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Kehleyr_SSG is offline The Lord of the Rings Online Team

The Bug Submission Form

Please Note: This post is addressing use of the ‘Submit A Request’ form for submitting game bugs only.

Player submitted bugs are an extremely important tool for QA. The bug database is reviewed daily and bugs are submitted from QA to the Development team on a regular basis.

Please keep all questions and comments in this thread relevant to the process of reporting bugs.

Please do not 'report' bugs on the forums by starting a thread or making a post in this thread. Bugs reported in this manner will not be submitted to our database and will take significantly longer for us to learn about and therefore address.

Please note we are unable to provide immediate or direct assistance via a Bug Report!
    Please do not file a bug with the expectation that we are going to get back to you with a solution to your problem, or that any reply you do receive will be in a timely manner.
    We do not monitor the bug database 24/7, nor as QA do we have the permissions or abilities to assist you on the Live worlds.
    If you need immediate assistance please assure you are filing your ticket under a Customer Support category (see below in 'How Can Support Help You?')

How to access the 'Submit A Request' Form
    (all these methods will open the same webpage)

• Launcher
      • Click Support on the Launcher
      • Click Forums at the top of the page
      • Select 'Forums The Lord of the Rings Online'
      • Click 'Submit A Bug' at the top of the page

• In-game
      • Type /bug in the chat box OR Open the Help window (F7, ESC or System > Help from the options (^) on the left of the main Action Bar)
        • Please note: This method is NOT available on the Bullroarer Beta Preview Server

• Click 'Report A Bug' at the bottom of the Help window
      • This will open the submission form in an external browser

• Forum

The Submit A Request form is part of the Standing Stone Support site, which has its own login. We strongly suggest creating an account and logging in to the support site when filing bugs.

The Submission Form

• Fields with a red star * are non-optional

How can Support help you?

• For filing a bug, always choose the ‘I would like to report a bug.’ option
    • The other options in this dropdown are for filing support tickets to CS. If you use these options for filing a bug it will take substantially longer for the bug to reach QA.
    • Conversely, if you have an issue that requires CS assistance please do not use the ‘I would like to report a bug.’ option. As with getting bugs to QA, this will cause delays in getting your ticket to CS.

Your email address*

• If you are already logged in to the SSG support site this field will not appear
    • This does not have to be the email address you have registered to the game or the support site - it doesn't even need to be a real email address. It just needs something that follows a normal email address format for the form to submit (ie: word@word.com will work).
    • If you entered a legitimate email address
      • You will receive a confirmation of the bug submission.
      • You may reply to this confirmation email to expand on your bug report and include more information and/or attachments
      • It will allow us to contact you concerning your bug (we assure you this information is not made public, nor would we use it for any other reason)
      • If you use the email address you have registered to the SSG Support Site you can view and track the progress any bugs (tickets) you submitted by clicking 'My Ticket Activity'. You can then select the bug and provide comments and attachments.

Subject*

• Please provide a short but clear description of your bug. Any details should be entered in the Description field.

Description*

• Please provide any kind of information that may help QA research and recreate the bug.
    • Please include exact Quest Titles, Item Names, NPC names, etc. whenever possible. The more concise your bug report is the faster QA can track the issue down and submit it for correction.
    • If there are details - particularly with boss fights or instance runs - that you think may have contributed to the bug occurring, please include them with the bug.

Preferred Language*

• Please note Standing Stone Games can only officially support English, German and French.
    • We may use internet translation services such as Google Translate or DeepL when working with bugs written in any language other than English. We apologize for any spelling or grammar errors in our communications when working with these bug reports.

Platform & Product*

• PC or Mac
    • LOTRO or DDO – please assure you are choosing the correct product!

Category*

• Please pick the category that most closely relates to your bug. This will help QA filter the bugs more accurately and address them more efficiently
    • Please use the 'Localization' category to report any bugs regarding French and German translations

Operating System

• While this field is optional, it may be helpful especially when reporting a technical issue.

Contact Full Name

• Feel free to skip this field

Account Username*

• Please provide accurate information here so we can contact you regarding your bug if necessary

Free to Play/Premium/VIP Membership

• Please select the account level that was active at the time you experienced the bug.

Character Name*

• If the bug is happening to more than one character you can list more than one name here.
    • If the bug is not character specific please provide the name of the character you play most often
    • The remaining Character fields may be left blank unless there is some information you feel is pertinent to the bug, such as Class if a skill is not performing correctly or Race if a character animation appears wonky.

Current Server

• While this is optional we strongly suggest filling it in. If we need to look at your character or your house, we need to know what server you are on.

Location (use /loc)

• Please try to report your bug from the location where it is happening
    • If you cannot report the bug immediately, please type /loc in your chat box (/pos in the German client, /emp in the French client).
      • You can then scroll back in your chat log at a safer time and copy/paste this information in the details of your bug.

• Please do not use the command ;loc - this returns information we cannot use. Please use /loc (/pos, /emp) and provide the entire string of gibberish.

Attachments - Screen Shots FTW!

You know the old adage 'A picture is worth a thousand words'? Well, it's true. If you are having a graphics issue of any sort, you're reporting a landseam or clipping of cosmetic items, a floating object or an unreachable craft node - nearly anything you find yourself trying to describe the appearance of - please please please include a screenshot. Often our developers can just look at an issue and can determine the cause.

NOTE: If you are reporting a bug about the Interface not behaving properly, please assure you are using the default UI and have no alternate skins applied.
    Last edited by Kehleyr_SSG; Mar 25 2022 at 03:49 PM.
    Quality Assurance Team Lead
    The Lord of the Rings Online
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

1. Welcome back, Kehleyr!

2. Can you work on making the /bug form easier to use in a couple ways:

• Revert it back to open in the Help window in the client instead of opening a new browser window outside the client.

• Auto-fill character/loc/account details drawn from the client.
    Arda Shrugged : Elendilmir (RIP) -> Arkenstone -> Anor (RIP) -> Landroval -> Treebeard

Quote Originally Posted by gildhur View Post

• Revert it back to open in the Help window in the client instead of opening a new browser window outside the client.

If I had the power, expertise and ability I would do this in a heartbeat. Sadly that is outside my skillset.

What I have missed for a long time: a selection option for localization errors. None of the 4 available choices "Launcher" / "Gameplay" -> "Quest" or "other" ??? / "Grafic" / "Sound" seems to fit. The old bug reporting system had a corresponding option for localization problems.

Is the /loc position also necessary for incorrect translations of quests? These errors are rather processed directly in a database and not with developer tools?

I wish so badly that it worked this way again. I hate to say it but I stopped doing bug reports when it changed because it's just too much of a hassle for me now.
    R.I.P. Elendilmir [30 Mar 2007-2015]
    R.I.P. Ithil [23 Mar 2019-23 May 2021]
    R.I.P. Anor [23 May 2021-10 Aug 2022]
    R.I.P. my handsome Man Hunter [7 Apr 2008-19 Apr 2023]

Quote Originally Posted by Thodorin View Post
    What I have missed for a long time: a selection option for localization errors. None of the 4 available choices "Launcher" / "Gameplay" -> "Quest" or "other" ??? / "Grafic" / "Sound" seems to fit. The old bug reporting system had a corresponding option for localization problems.
    That is a good question. I would use the Gameplay/Other category and put something along the lines of [Localization] or [Text:German] in the Summary line as a workaround. I don't believe we can get any categories added so this will at least make the bugs stand out in the queue.

Is the /loc position also necessary for incorrect translations of quests? These errors are rather processed directly in a database and not with developer tools?
    No, the /loc is only necessary for actual landscape issues like floating bushes or interactions with NPCs, or rubberbanding on horse routes - things like that. Quest text is static and easily researched, so no need to worry on that.

An example of an image in addition attached to the text bug report in case of translation errors. Is that ok or is something important missing?

An example of an image in addition attached to the text bug report in case of translation errors. Is that ok or is something important missing?

This looks good to me, and I expect quite helpful for the localization team.

Quote Originally Posted by Kehleyr_SSG View Post
    This looks good to me, and I expect quite helpful for the localization team.
    Okay. Then I hope that the text will be translated in the right place. There would have to be this text also with a quest in the North Downs - and there it is ok. Perhaps it is also simply a mistake in the assignment of the text (e.g. instead of text ID 12345 ID 13245).

Great to see this thread, for too long it been like you'd rather not know.

I was unaware that there was any way to track the activity on any of our bugs. When you are still playing a character with a build using a skill that's been 5 years waiting a fix and many man hours in game trying to figure it out and discussions here can we all have failed to /bug it?

The requirement to register and login to the site has it's issues for me. Infrequence kept me having to change my password at a greater frequency than is my norm. Also any requirement on the format of a password only reduces the possibilities. A password that doesn't conform might actually be more robust.

As soon at I realised I could submit a /bug without logging in I stopped going through this inconvenience.

I wonder what I shall find. Should my expectations remain low?

Now I could provide a number of bugs to do with the virtue system. But it's hard to make a judgement, given the lack of a dev diary, whether these might be bugs or intentional or now consigned to that place where failed tech is put.

I'll maybe have a look later, back to the VXP grind today.

From a player's perspective a thousand people might see a bug on patch day.

We naturally want to progress onward, hey it's patch day, it's something new, "we needs it, precious". Wiki will be days away from being a source, so we hit the forums for our work around if we haven't already figured it ourselves.

We catch the post, see the combined thought on the subject and the brightest of us has the solution. Back to the game and all ahead full.

Where was the /bug report in all this? It's 20 seconds on the forum or 10 minutes out of 1000 players patch day "fun".

Players at the cutting edge find the way of least resistance. CM should be monitoring those threads, see who making most sense and either /bug it himself or specifically ask an individual with a good handle on it to /bug it themselves.

Maybe it a job for QA to monitor. It's like blocking your ears and insisting we only use sign language to tell you stuff.

Thanks for this!

Wouldn't it be easier and better to have a GM be the go between for players and the SSG team?

The current bug ticket process can be lengthy, near to the point of tedium. I reviewed the whole process and said to myself, I'd rather be playing than filling out forms. This could be more simplified for the players by easily starting a bug ticket and have a GM arrive and do the documentation. The GM's are much more familiar with both ends of this process far better than the players. Also any communication between the SSG team and a player who creates a bug ticket may not be available at the same times. Where as, the communication between the SSG and their GMs is a known factor and predictable for further investigations of created bug tickets. Adding to this, compared to any player, the GMs would be far more proficient, efficient, and consistent than the random player for exchanging the required information. GMs can be anywhere in this game in an instant, whether this be landscape or an active live instance. Seems to me, this is a more reliable path for bug fixes.

Quote Originally Posted by sapienze View Post
    Wouldn't it be easier and better to have a GM be the go between for players and the SSG team?
    If you've ever filed a ticket for GM assistance, you know how hilarious this suggestion is.

Support is either so overworked or so understaffed that it almost always takes hours for a response. You really want to sit around and wait for a GM every time you come across a bug that needs reporting? Sure, it would be ideal if live GMs could report and track every bug players come across, but it's just not realistic.
    Arda Shrugged : Elendilmir (RIP) -> Arkenstone -> Anor (RIP) -> Landroval -> Treebeard

If I may suggest something else:

Currently, if a player reports a bug, that ticket is open and after someone from the dev team looks into it, it gets closed.
    However, even if a ticket for a bug is closed, that does not mean, that the bug will ever be fixed.
    It would be nice, if there was a second step. Like "open -> viewed -> closed", with "closed" only happening after something is fixed.

Anyway, it seems like reporting bugs only leads to the open->close circle without anything else. As long as thats the case, I dont see why we can report bugs at all. For me, personally, the main source of irritation here are typos and general text bugs. Those should be the easiest of all bugs to fix. Still, even though many of those have been reported throughout several betas and many times within the last years, nothing happens to the bugs ingame. Why should we report bugs, if not even the easiest-to-fix bugs get fixed?
    I mean... if it was about priorities or not enough manpower, you could simply allow a fan to fix those bugs via an internship... if there was a will, there'd be a way. sadly, there obviously isnt. For a game that only exists because of its stories, thats quite sad.
    Diskutierer, Fragenbeantworter, Twinker, Händler, Handwerker und Gründer der 'Gemeinschaft der freien Völker' auf Belegaer.
    Deutsche Guides für nahezu alles, was Casuals interessieren könnte, gibts hier: http://gdfv.forumo.de/guides-f24/

Quote Originally Posted by Oelle View Post
    If I may suggest something else:

It would be nice, if there was a second step. Like "open -> viewed -> closed", with "closed" only happening after something is fixed.
    Agreed. There has been a bug of sorts I've reported recently, and some parts of the bug have been changed, but it's not been entirely fixed. It would be nice to know whether the bug is considered fixed, in the progress of being fixed, or if SSG don't intend to look in to it anymore (which would be a bad idea given the nature of this bug), so I know whether sending follow up reports is of any use to the devs, or just an annoyance. Unfortunately that isn't done automatically(or at all?) on the current system.

If you've ever filed a ticket for GM assistance, you know how hilarious this suggestion is.
    Of course it is, in this game currently. I can say, what I posted works elsewhere and is quite efficient and cost saving.

So I finally got around to checking out SSG's help and tried to log in the last few minutes, have so far failed to do so.

I get the following (MS Windows) overlaid the default SSG help window after the login attempt:

"This content can’t be shown in a frame
    There is supposed to be some content here, but the publisher doesn’t allow it to be displayed in a frame. This is to help protect the security of any information you might enter into this site.
    Try this
    Open this in a new window
    Report this issue

Privacy statement"

Have now requested a forgotten p/w to check if that is working. Nothing as yet after 5 minutes... yes logged into my isp's email server.

I was wondering if it's requiring data retrieval I don't allow?

UPDATE: My issue logging in was browser related. It worked on IE f all things...

Now what I found:

The ticket numbers seemed to indicate that numbers were generated since SSG took over the game. No /bugs stored more than 3 years ago and with low, 3 digit numbers. Later ones 90k+ values.

It really surprised me to see all the bugs/ticket showing "Solved" just after each was raised. Then saw the caveat that it meant just passed along to QA, not actually fixed. So the suggestion that more feedback on specific bugs can be found on the site is not the case.

This would suggest that all the bugs that are still around since HD need to be re-raised? So all those performance/lag/hitching black spots need to be flagged again. The Guardian Shield-smash anomaly is unknown to you guys? The insane threat "copy" figures have never been on the table?

Ditching the old bug database intended or have turbine got that?

The correction of localization errors still works only partially or never. Examples of still open bugs from 2019 (Update 24):

#- Please type your reply above this line -##
    Your request (97575) has been updated. To add additional comments, reply to this email.

Standing Stone Games Quality Assurance Team (Standing Stone Games Help)

Sep 3, 10:38 AM EDT

Greetings!

Thank you for submitting a bug report! Although we are not able to provide status updates or feedback on individual bugs, your bug has been sent to our Quality Assurance team to be reviewed. Note that a ticket status of “solved” does not mean a bug has been fixed, but only that it has been passed to Quality Assurance.

Please note: We are unable to provide direct assistance via a Bug Report.

Standing Stone Games, LLC.

Aug 31, 4:40 PM EDT

german client - not translatet npc names - sheep in Dachsbauten

Attachment(s)
    U24 - Lokafehler 13.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

##- Please type your reply above this line -##
    Your request (97576) has been updated. To add additional comments, reply to this email.

Sep 3, 10:38 AM EDT

Greetings!

Thank you for submitting a bug report! Although we are not able to provide status updates or feedback on individual bugs, your bug has been sent to our Quality Assurance team to be reviewed. Note that a ticket status of “solved” does not mean a bug has been fixed, but only that it has been passed to Quality Assurance.

Aug 31, 4:53 PM EDT

german client - incorrectly translated task name level 41

there are 2 tasks quest with the name "Thorins Halle-Auftrag: Riesige Schuppen" - but one of the names is wrong and must be "Thorins Halle-Auftrag: Riesige Ohren".

Attachment(s)
    U24 - Lokafehler 14.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your request (97578) has been updated. To add additional comments, reply to this email.

Sep 3, 10:39 AM EDT

Greetings!

Aug 31, 4:59 PM EDT

german client - incorrectly translated task name level 100

the tasks quest with the name "Dol Amroth-Minas Tirith-Auftrag: Schimmernde Staubhaufen" is wrong translated and must be "Dol Amroth-Auftrag: Schimmernde Staubhaufen" (without Minas Tirith).

Attachment(s)
    U24 - Lokafehler 15.jpg

Your request (97581) has been updated. To add additional comments, reply to this email.

Sep 3, 10:39 AM EDT

Greetings!

Aug 31, 5:09 PM EDT

german client - four incorrectly translated task names level 105

the tasks quest with the names
    Auftrag "Reiter von Rohan: Abgetragene Felle"
    Auftrag "Reiter von Rohan: Verbrannte Ohren"
    Auftrag "Reiter von Rohan: Verfaulte Häute"
    Auftrag "Reiter von Rohan: Zersplitterte Speere"
    are wrong translated. No other task-quest anmes contains quotation marks in the name. Also, the tasks are displayed incorrectly sorted by the wrong format. The correct names should be like the 5th Quest:
    Reiter von Rohan-Auftrag: Abgetragene Felle
    Reiter von Rohan-Auftrag: Verbrannte Ohren
    Reiter von Rohan-Auftrag: Verfaulte Häute
    Reiter von Rohan-Auftrag: Zersplitterte Speere

Attachment(s)
    U24 - Lokafehler 16.jpg

Localization Bugs
    As clearly stated in the Opening Post of this thread:

Please do not 'report' bugs on the forums by starting a thread or making a post in this thread. Bugs reported in this manner will not be submitted to our database and will take significantly longer for us to learn about and therefore address.

Given you have received replies to your bug reports, they are being addressed. We cannot comment on timeline for when you will see these fixes in game.

Quote Originally Posted by Kehleyr_SSG View Post
    ...[/B]Given you have received replies to your bug reports, they are being addressed. We cannot comment on timeline for when you will see these fixes in game.
    EDIT: It wasn't about reporting bugs here. It's about the system making you feel that localization errors don't arrive in the right place.

Would it be possible to check whether these errors are marked as completed in the system? More than 8 months for simple translation errors are not understandable. You get the feeling that there is an assignment error in the system and that bugs report for translations end up in the wrong place or in the electronic waste bin.
    Last edited by Thodorin; May 01 2020 at 12:14 PM.

EDIT: It wasn't about reporting bugs here. It's about the system making you feel that localization errors don't arrive in the right place.

Would it be possible to check whether these errors are marked as completed in the system? More than 8 months for simple translation errors are not understandable. You get the feeling that there is an assignment error in the system and that bugs report for translations end up in the wrong place or in the electronic waste bin.
    As players we will talk in game among ourselves and reference posts on the forums where known bugs are concerned. For us, knowing that someone has filed a bug thoroughly detailing the issues much better than we could do is enough to think it's going to be addressed.

My suspicion is that bugs need traction in SSG's viewpoint. If only one or two have /bugged it then it only effects a few and is not thought important. It would account for the lack of progress on the hard to identify bugs we report as only a few of us are "seeing" it whilst hundreds are unknowingly effected by it. Along with this is that it's just "how it is" with Turbine/SSG, that issues will remain unfixed and we have to suck it up. We could spend all day /bugging issues if we were to look for them but who plays a game to do that?

This is why as players we always ask if anyone at SSG plays because the issues we see all day every day are seldom addressed. But ofc they do play (needs citation) so by inference they will see what we see, experience what we experience? I'd have to put the performance improvement traction more to do with them actually playing more than just the increased pops from the lockdown/freeplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Braer View Post
    As players we will talk in game among ourselves and reference posts on the forums where known bugs are concerned. For us, knowing that someone has filed a bug thoroughly detailing the issues much better than we could do is enough to think it's going to be addressed.

My suspicion is that bugs need traction in SSG's viewpoint. If only one or two have /bugged it then it only effects a few and is not thought important. It would account for the lack of progress on the hard to identify bugs we report as only a few of us are "seeing" it whilst hundreds are unknowingly effected by it. Along with this is that it's just "how it is" with Turbine/SSG, that issues will remain unfixed and we have to suck it up. We could spend all day /bugging issues if we were to look for them but who plays a game to do that?

This is why as players we always ask if anyone at SSG plays because the issues we see all day every day are seldom addressed. But ofc they do play (needs citation) so by inference they will see what we see, experience what we experience? I'd have to put the performance improvement traction more to do with them actually playing more than just the increased pops from the lockdown/freeplay.
    I want to see video how 12 developers have run in Remmorchant T5

I have to ask: what's the point of reporting a bug if I know you won't be fixing it?

E.g.
    - Beorning's Relentless Maul still interrupts if wrath drops below 20 during the channel
    - Pela Ship Slaves quest still has the last slave not spawn sometimes
    - Were the colors during the Saruman fight ever fixed?
    - Warsteed HP scaling with ~3k HP getting 1-shot by everything, but then a normal mount with 250 HP can tank several hits just fine
    - Current login issues
    - Server instability with skill/induction lags, frame lags, warteed rubberbanding etc. has been known for years with quite apparently no fix being done
    - etc.
    Last edited by Tiyafar; May 13 2020 at 02:43 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast