We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Shell commands execution via script

Hello,
    I'm new in lua lotro scripting. I want to make a plugin that periodically (e.g. every 3 seconds) sends "/loc" command into chat for arrow refreshing in waypoint plugin.
    I'm not sure if periodicity function calling is possible, but command execution from script must be possible due to Lotro API documantation. Please, can someone help me with such easy script?

Quote Originally Posted by yowelin View Post
    Hello,
    I'm new in lua lotro scripting. I want to make a plugin that periodically (e.g. every 3 seconds) sends "/loc" command into chat for arrow refreshing in waypoint plugin.
    I'm not sure if periodicity function calling is possible, but command execution from script must be possible due to Lotro API documantation. Please, can someone help me with such easy script?
    This is impossible. The waypoint plugin does not have this built-in exactly because it is impossible. In short, to send something in chat you need to press a button or click the mouse every single time. You cannot have a program just send it automatically. (Those programs that do outside LOTRO are simulating you pressing that button rather than skipping the need to do it.,

Quote Originally Posted by Hyos View Post
    You cannot have a program just send it automatically.
    I suppose using external programs is restricted by licence agreement, and using of them can lead to ban from developers?

I suppose using external programs is restricted by licence agreement, and using of them can lead to ban from developers?
    Regardless of legality or not, you would risk this external input interfering with your own input. Imagine an external program sends "/+l+o+c+enter" every few seconds to LOTRO - whenever you happen to press a button between the "/" and the "l" you will put a character into the chat rather than execute a skill... unless you are exclusively using the mouse to play.

will put a character into the chat rather than execute a skill
    There is an option to use macros that presses some button on a keyboard every e.g. 100 ms, all what you need to use this macros is put an alias shortcut on that button. For example, I put an alias (/loc) shortcut on "Shift+3" quickslot and just call shift+3 pressing from external program. And this auto-pressing works even during game-play with pressing other buttons. But it must be illegal.

There is an option to use macros that presses some button on a keyboard every e.g. 100 ms, all what you need to use this macros is put an alias shortcut on that button. For example, I put an alias (/loc) shortcut on "Shift+3" quickslot and just call shift+3 pressing from external program. And this auto-pressing works even during game-play with pressing other buttons. But it must be illegal.
    So for doing that kind of macro you need no external software: https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Alias
    You create a quickbar icon and shortcut for an ingame shell command. so you can click it or press the ingame keybind.

If you want to automate so your alias and trigger is pressed every 3s that is potentially not legal, but I claim still impossible to do without messing with you trying to control the game normally at the same time.

I claim still impossible to do without messing with you trying to control the game normally at the same time
    i have already done so. I used external program for automatic pressing "shift+3" shortcut, which I have put alias shortcut (/loc) into it. And even with "pressing" every 1 ms (1/1000 of second) it worked normally (I could use ui buttons on the screen and physical keys on my keyboard), but frequency of screen renewal have fallen down upto 10-12 frames per second. And I think if some significant amount of players (e.g. 1000) do it in the same time servers can fall down, so that's why I think it is illigal

i have already done so. I used external program for automatic pressing "shift+3" shortcut, which I have put alias shortcut (/loc) into it. And even with "pressing" every 1 ms (1/1000 of second) it worked normally (I could use ui buttons on the screen and physical keys on my keyboard), but frequency of screen renewal have fallen down upto 10-12 frames per second. And I think if some significant amount of players (e.g. 1000) do it in the same time servers can fall down, so that's why I think it is illigal
    Im pretty sure that using any application for automated input is considered botting and not allowed.

PS: the /loc command does not neccesary need to connect to the server

I get it, it works because you are sending "Shift+3" and not "/+l+o+c+Enter". Makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by 4andreas View Post
    Im pretty sure that using any application for automated input is considered botting and not allowed.

PS: the /loc command does not neccesary need to connect to the server
    Macros like "Del+U" are definitely allowed (great for target closest or node and use/harvest it). That was definitely on the forums already ages ago.
    There used to be a grey area that using macros for farming was okay if you were present at the keyboard at all times and actively following the game - I remember discussions on the forum as well. It was not clear if that is forbidden or not.

I think it is a safe bet that either the code for /loc is brutally not optimized (including the writing to chat, it might be that) or it is actually giving you the updated state of location after querying the server. Even 1000 inputs a second should not cost you tens of frames of the whole game rendering.

There is no reason for /loc to query the server to find out your current location. If the client didn't know your current location precisely, it wouldn't be able to render the scene.

I think it's just updating the chat window that takes some time.

And also, I don't think SSG would care if you used a macro for this purpose. It doesn't give you an advantage in combat or resource gathering, it's just a navigation aid.