We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Yellow Hunter adjustments/improvements

Normally I don't play yellow hunter (I mean, who would?) because of its lack of viability in group content. But lately, I've been thinking about changes that could be made to the line to make it at least somewhat appealing to play in a raid/group setting. I'm no expert on yellow line, but would like to try and start a conversation on how to fix the trait line. For starters:

1)Rain of thorns. I personally would like to see its cooldown reduced to 45 seconds (so down to 30 seconds with the set bonus) and bring its focus cost down a little, at least in line with rain/hail of arrows.

2)Piercing Trap. With the Master Trapper trait, piercing trap returns morale to anyone that hits its target. As of now though, that morale return is less than a thousand points, which is inconsequential compared to the total morale players currently have. Even lower morale dps are sitting at 200k, with tanks ranging 500k-900k. Adjusting piercing trap to return even 1% of morale on hit instead of a flat amount of morale would make a huge difference in its utility.

3)Deadly decoy. Would benefit from being ranged ground-targeted like most of your other traps are after traiting the Advanced placement skill. Also needs a slightly larger taunt range.

4)Lingering wound. Even if you don't change the focus cost or the initial hit damage, it desperately needs higher bleed damage, and a longer bleed duration. Barbed arrow currently has a better bleed (up to lingering wound tier 3), a shorter cooldown, a longer duration, and a stronger initial hit. So lingering wound needs to be brought at least in line with Barbed Arrow.

5)Explosive Arrow. Being ground-targeted actually feels like a detriment to this skill. Would prefer to see it direct target, and maybe drop a burning puddle on the ground similar to sticky gourd on LM, or possibly a stun to mobs it hits? The time it takes to use it, the focus cost, and the current damage output makes explosive arrow not worth using atm. I can understand not buffing its damage, since yellow isn't the damage-centric tree for hunters, but then it should at least have more utility.

6)Purge poison. Tripling its cooldown for yellow seems excessive, even if you are expanding it to hit up to 6 targets (your fellow). And with the huge diminishing return on resistance rating (plus the 50% cap) the added poison resistance rating feels pretty worthless. Again, I'd like added utility there. Maybe in yellow line have a 30 second cooldown on purge poison with an added resistance percentage, similar to a Captain's Muster Courage? Even a flat 10% poison resistance would be useful for a raid setting.

Yellow hunter doesnt need to be amazing damage like Red Hunter, but there's no reason it shouldn't be viable for a raid.

I'm no expert, but I would like to be able to try it out without hampering the group so much. It seems like yellow hunter is stuck trying to be too many different things, and isn't good at any of them. I like the sound of those changes.

As for other changes, I suppose it depends if we want yellow hunter to compete with LMs and burgs in the tank group or if we want them to be dps side something or other.

Quote Originally Posted by theultimatekyle View Post
    Normally I don't play yellow hunter (I mean, who would?) because of its lack of viability in group content. But lately, I've been thinking about changes that could be made to the line to make it at least somewhat appealing to play in a raid/group setting. I'm no expert on yellow line, but would like to try and start a conversation on how to fix the trait line. For starters:

1)Rain of thorns. I personally would like to see its cooldown reduced to 45 seconds (so down to 30 seconds with the set bonus) and bring its focus cost down a little, at least in line with rain/hail of arrows.

2)Piercing Trap. With the Master Trapper trait, piercing trap returns morale to anyone that hits its target. As of now though, that morale return is less than a thousand points, which is inconsequential compared to the total morale players currently have. Even lower morale dps are sitting at 200k, with tanks ranging 500k-900k. Adjusting piercing trap to return even 1% of morale on hit instead of a flat amount of morale would make a huge difference in its utility.

3)Deadly decoy. Would benefit from being ranged ground-targeted like most of your other traps are after traiting the Advanced placement skill. Also needs a slightly larger taunt range.

4)Lingering wound. Even if you don't change the focus cost or the initial hit damage, it desperately needs higher bleed damage, and a longer bleed duration. Barbed arrow currently has a better bleed (up to lingering wound tier 3), a shorter cooldown, a longer duration, and a stronger initial hit. So lingering wound needs to be brought at least in line with Barbed Arrow.

5)Explosive Arrow. Being ground-targeted actually feels like a detriment to this skill. Would prefer to see it direct target, and maybe drop a burning puddle on the ground similar to sticky gourd on LM, or possibly a stun to mobs it hits? The time it takes to use it, the focus cost, and the current damage output makes explosive arrow not worth using atm. I can understand not buffing its damage, since yellow isn't the damage-centric tree for hunters, but then it should at least have more utility.

6)Purge poison. Tripling its cooldown for yellow seems excessive, even if you are expanding it to hit up to 6 targets (your fellow). And with the huge diminishing return on resistance rating (plus the 50% cap) the added poison resistance rating feels pretty worthless. Again, I'd like added utility there. Maybe in yellow line have a 30 second cooldown on purge poison with an added resistance percentage, similar to a Captain's Muster Courage? Even a flat 10% poison resistance would be useful for a raid setting.

Yellow hunter doesnt need to be amazing damage like Red Hunter, but there's no reason it shouldn't be viable for a raid.
    It's about half damage to blue, which makes it what, 1/6 damage output from red?
    Also, I think rain of aoe reset is stuck in red, for no reason.
    Yellow is also hampered by the red nerf that moved bonus focus way down the blue tree. If nerfing red, nerf RED TREE not everything else. If you must do it generalalized - compensate for the loss.
    Yellow is also stuck with 2/3 regular range, for no reason at all.

Lingering wound + damage over time legs should together bring it up to crit initial hits around 50k and bleeds around half that on a max imbue. That's not for raid, that is so it can kill landscape mobs for field questing 120-130. The inflated mob morale is absurd and way over the top but red and blue can deal with that. There should be no cooldown at all, stack 3.

It's a lost cause. Can you even imagine one trait line needing buffs and then only watch it get reduced over the years. Something about hope and lotr but I gave up that particular fight.

As far as damage goes, I dont think yellow -has- to have the huge numbers red gets. You wouldnt expect a yellow LM or yellow Cappy to put out numbers comparable to their red lines. And the range in yellow is 30 meters, same as blue line. Only red line has a 40m range.

But on Lingering wound specifically, it definitely does need a boost. Lingering Wound and Explosive arrows are the yellow line bow skills. Not only is lingering wound currently a worse skill than even barbed arrow, but the main hand legacy for it (desperate flight cd/lingering wound damage) doesnt work. *slight edit* The legacy does increase the initial hit, but not the bleed damage from lingering wound, and the overall increase is too small to really care about.

Another change I'd like to suggest involves the yellow lines improved penetrating shot. Currently the trait only adds bpe reduction to pen shot. Under normal circumstances, DPS in a raid/group try to stay behind the boss/mobs, where they dont have to worry about block and parry, only evade. And even then, with the way finesse currently is, there's zero reason to worry about evades (except for first remmo side boss, but it gets a percent buff, not a rating buff, so the reduction wouldnt matter). So theres really no reason to trait "Amour rend" in yellow line for the improved penetrating shot. Why not change it to where Amour rend adds an actual armor value reduction instead?
    Last edited by theultimatekyle; Sep 13 2020 at 05:22 PM. Reason: correcting information

I apologize for intruding in this thread with a question. I understand one of the traps in yellow line (not sure which one) does some fellowship heals. I can't seem to find any indication of that, either in the yellow tree or in the set bonuses. I'd like to know which trap/traps heal the fellowship and, more importantly, for how much?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by FundinStrongarm View Post
    I apologize for intruding in this thread with a question. I understand one of the traps in yellow line (not sure which one) does some fellowship heals. I can't seem to find any indication of that, either in the yellow tree or in the set bonuses. I'd like to know which trap/traps heal the fellowship and, more importantly, for how much?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    No problem. This actually ties into my point on piercing trap up above. In yellow line, you'll see special line traits on the far left side of the trait panel (you get those by dedicating points in your trait). The one called Master Trapper modifies the Piercing trap to return morale on hit. So if you place the trap, a boss/mob goes through it, then for the duration of the debuff, anyone that hits that boss/mob will get a small amount of morale back. Currently though its a super tiny heal, under 1k morale per hit at level cap. It really ought to be buffed.

No problem. This actually ties into my point on piercing trap up above. In yellow line, you'll see special line traits on the far left side of the trait panel (you get those by dedicating points in your trait). The one called Master Trapper modifies the Piercing trap to return morale on hit. So if you place the trap, a boss/mob goes through it, then for the duration of the debuff, anyone that hits that boss/mob will get a small amount of morale back. Currently though its a super tiny heal, under 1k morale per hit at level cap. It really ought to be buffed.
    Awesome, I see it now. I must've missed it when I was checking to find it.

Is it a flat morale return per hit, do you know? Or a tiny percentage perhaps? Good to know it is under 1k per hit.

Thanks.

Unfortunately the morale return from piercing trap seems to be a flat rate. Its been the same for all the hunter's I've asked about it

I played around With the yellow Hunter quite a Bit, also in remorchant. Since He offers very good damage Support for the whole RAID, its arguable better to have at least one yellow instead of one Red Hunter. This can dependent on the Fight how ever.

Yellow Line hast still some Problems. Its not that viable Outside of RAID or solo content.
    One Big Problem is that the dots from the traps can crit, Same Goes for explosive Arrow.
    Lingering wounds damage is fine, imo. The duration ist Just to Short, after 10sec it expires and you can start stacking it Up again.
    Another Problem is the scaling of lingering wound, If remeber corectly its neither a Focus Skill nor a bow skill.

Also a Lot of traits and traits Set Boni are mostly meaningless, im Sure some of them could Need Love.
    I mean 90% of His RAID viabilty comes from the traitsetboni wich gives 15% Inc damage on the tripple Trap and +10% critchance in the decoy.

I would Not say that His own DPS is that bad, its 1/3-1/2 the damage of an Red Line Hunter.
    Im currently reaching around 100k DPS on the dummy, With non optimal Gear (i miss about 200k Mastersy )
    If you want to contact me, pls don't write me a Private Message on the Forum.
    The best way is via Discord:
    Gertes#5389

Strider5548 is offline Legendary Hunter of Middle-earth
    Original Challenger of Jagger Jack
    Quote Originally Posted by Gertes View Post

Also a Lot of traits and traits Set Boni are mostly meaningless, im Sure some of them could Need Love.
    I mean 90% of His RAID viabilty comes from the traitsetboni wich gives 15% Inc damage on the tripple Trap and +10% critchance in the decoy.

Do you know how long the 15% inc damage increase lasts? It's not clear in game, I wonder what % of time we can keep it up as yellow.

Also sounds like you know a lot about yellow line, do you have a trait set up for raid or one for PvMP that you use? I'm interested in seeing both.
    Servers: Treebeard | Arkenstone | Landroval
    Classes: Hunter | Champion | Loremaster | Warden | Beorning | Guardian | Captain | Burglar
    Creeps: Warleader | Reaver

Quote Originally Posted by Strider5548 View Post
    Do you know how long the 15% inc damage increase lasts? It's not clear in game, I wonder what % of time we can keep it up as yellow.

Also sounds like you know a lot about yellow line, do you have a trait set up for raid or one for PvMP that you use? I'm interested in seeing both.
    You have to keep in mind that in some fights you can pull the Boss/target through one of the 3 traps after another, so you can end up with 100% uptime.
    I also think the +10% critchance buff has more impact on the raid dps, compared to the triple trap.

The Trait tree is not final, but this is what i currently use for Raids.
    Gertes#5389

Quote Originally Posted by Gertes View Post
    You have to keep in mind that in some fights you can pull the Boss/target through one of the 3 traps after another, so you can end up with 100% uptime.
    I also think the +10% critchance buff has more impact on the raid dps, compared to the triple trap.

The Trait tree is not final, but this is what i currently use for Raids.

Thank you! I will do some testing with this as well. One quick note, I noticed in your trait set up you have 5 points in red going to crit chance, wouldn't those 5 points be better spent on the pen shot debuff (true shot) if this build is meant to be more of a debuffer?
    Classes: Hunter | Champion | Loremaster | Warden | Beorning | Guardian | Captain | Burglar

Thank you! I will do some testing with this as well. One quick note, I noticed in your trait set up you have 5 points in red going to crit chance, wouldn't those 5 points be better spent on the pen shot debuff (true shot) if this build is meant to be more of a debuffer?
    Yes true, but i had another hunter with me, so he used the pen shot buff anyway. If you are the only hunter you should switch the 5 points.
    Gertes#5389

Just a couple things to add to your list, I'm sure I'll have more as I test yellow further:

1) fix armor rend trait, it does nothing to mitigations right now despite falsely saying it lowers them by 4%
    2) fix distracting shot, the skill is useless, it's single target, huge cooldown, breaks too easily, re-work the trait points that lower the CD to do something more useful like making it AoE and lowering the CD down to 30 seconds.
    3) either add a few more useful debuffs for yellow or increase DoT damage, yellow needs to either have enough damage contribution to be useful in groups OR enough debuffs to raise the DPS of the rest of the group.

Just a couple things to add to your list, I'm sure I'll have more as I test yellow further:

1) fix armor rend trait, it does nothing to mitigations right now despite falsely saying it lowers them by 4%
    2) fix distracting shot, the skill is useless, it's single target, huge cooldown, breaks too easily, re-work the trait points that lower the CD to do something more useful like making it AoE and lowering the CD down to 30 seconds.
    3) either add a few more useful debuffs for yellow or increase DoT damage, yellow needs to either have enough damage contribution to be useful in groups OR enough debuffs to raise the DPS of the rest of the group.
    So, penetrating shot will always lower enemy mits by 4%, even in blue or redline. all the armour rend trait does is add a BPE reduction to that, which I mentioned in an earlier post as being kinda useless right now. So I think the trait should be reworked to either actually reduce enemy armour value, or if thats too OP, maybe a crit defense debuff?

So I just recently started playing again, but didn't explosive arrow use to stun? Or am I imagining that? Either way, I'm down with it stunning. Having no max targets is cool and all, but when do you ever actually hit more than three in that small space anyway? Put a cap on targets and make it a CC so it's useful.

And for the deadly decoy, are they supposed to be killable without blowing up? If they are, can we get a visible morale pool for them? Or if they're not supposed to be, can we get that fixed too? Half the time I see it used they don't do anything.

Rain of Thorns -> It's not upgradable like Rain of Arrows, which makes each critical hit reduce the cool down timer. Especially considering that Rain of Thorns is accessible earlier in the trait tree (for less trait points) than Rain of Arrows in red line. Rain of Thorns should have a similar mechanic.

Deadly Decoy -> This should have a stronger taunt and for longer duration. The cool down on placing the dummy is 15 seconds, which I'm happy with, but it should taunt throughout the time it's active. If the dummy can be 'killed' then it should have a morale bar.

Distracting Shot -> Would be more useful if every enemy didn't just shrug it off. If it was an AoE stun it would be more acceptable as is. Since it's a single-target skill it should have a stronger effect.

Piercing Trap -> The +706 - 941 morale return per hit is insignificant compared to the amount of morale of characters at this moment. Even light classes have 200K+ morale. The 'per hit' effect should stay, but there should be a considerably greater return on morale than <1000.

Armour Rend -> Even with all trait points added to this it hardly makes any difference. It's LYING!

I actually used warg pens just to check, but yeah, if you have too many mobs on the deadly decoy, they'll kill it before it can explode. If this isnt a bug, I'd 100% want to see a morale bar on the decoy so we can better plan when using it.

1 its good as it is. Its a cc not dps skill.
    2 Dont ask for flat dmg because skill will become obsolete with the next expansion/lvl -stats increase. Ask for like 5% of hp return on hit.
    3 Dont know from where to start. Skill is trash. Also it not explode on death. Give us possibility to detonate on will. Like pressing button second time make it explode. Or remove HP from it and make it immortal / it will act like 5 sec duration taunt, make it wok on raid bosses, so we can be usefull with debuff reset etc.
    4 Make quick shot increasing the stack and reseting the duration. Or just add LW as penetration shot secondary effect/ yellow line only. Having LW as main skill in our rotation is more than useless..
    5 Explosive Arrow grund target is nice. It helps alot in pvmp, pls dont ruin it. ER is ok as it is.
    6 i have nothing to say here.
    7 remove the useless ranks from rain of thorns and make them mele dmg increase. To be viable in raids/ as dps/ as yellow hunter you need to be mele range. 2 reason. one is to avoid the delay from ranged trap placing/mele is insta and save you like 0.5-1 sec per trap(depend of the server performance and lag) and secodn reason is as yellow you rely on mele skills to build focus- they do more than decent dmg too.
    Make Emergency Preparation proc from evedng aoe too, not just direct dmg skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Pavlin View Post
    1 its good as it is. Its a cc not dps skill.
    2 Dont ask for flat dmg because skill will become obsolete with the next expansion/lvl -stats increase. Ask for like 5% of hp return on hit.
    3 Dont know from where to start. Skill is trash. Also it not explode on death. Give us possibility to detonate on will. Like pressing button second time make it explode. Or remove HP from it and make it immortal / it will act like 5 sec duration taunt, make it wok on raid bosses, so we can be usefull with debuff reset etc.
    4 Make quick shot increasing the stack and reseting the duration. Or just add LW as penetration shot secondary effect/ yellow line only. Having LW as main skill in our rotation is more than useless..
    5 Explosive Arrow grund target is nice. It helps alot in pvmp, pls dont ruin it. ER is ok as it is.
    6 i have nothing to say here.
    7 remove the useless ranks from rain of thorns and make them mele dmg increase. To be viable in raids/ as dps/ as yellow hunter you need to be mele range. 2 reason. one is to avoid the delay from ranged trap placing/mele is insta and save you like 0.5-1 sec per trap(depend of the server performance and lag) and secodn reason is as yellow you rely on mele skills to build focus- they do more than decent dmg too.
    Make Emergency Preparation proc from evedng aoe too, not just direct dmg skills.
    I don't feel like you've read the majority of the original post? But I will run with the suggestion of making the deadly decoy indestructible for its duration, and making it work on bosses. Itd be an excellent skill to use for situations like in the new 6 man from elderslade where the archer orc from the twin boss (left side) applies a unbelievably high bleed on the tank. Currently a captain can survive with last stand, or a combo of double disable from burg and lores from loremaster can reduce the damage enough to heal through it, or a lore master's bear can taunt to take the bleed. But why shouldn't a yellow hunter be able to use deadly decoy to temporarily take the boss from the tank to save it from the bleed?

Also, we should definitely not want the devs to preserve the current state of explosive arrow just for use in the moors (its usefulness was questionable even before the current state of the moors) especially when the balance between freeps and creeps is as volatile as it is at the moment. it 100% needs some improvement.
    Last edited by theultimatekyle; Jan 13 2021 at 02:11 AM.

So, penetrating shot will always lower enemy mits by 4%, even in blue or redline. all the armour rend trait does is add a BPE reduction to that, which I mentioned in an earlier post as being kinda useless right now. So I think the trait should be reworked to either actually reduce enemy armour value, or if thats too OP, maybe a crit defense debuff?
    If it was changed to a crit defense debuff I hope it would be a %based debuff. Rating Based Critical Defense debuffs dont do anything as no mob that I've found at 130 even has any critical defense ratings. %based debuffs, like that of Vital Points and Critical Harmony for burglars can go negative and therefore actually provide a benefit whiles effects like Archers Art and Counter Defense do nothing.

Overall Trapper changes

+15% trap damage across the board

Lingering Wound stacks 6 times or +20% Lingering Wound damage

Set Bonus changes

Deadly Decoy - Explodes when destroyed or after 15 seconds have passed

Triple Trap - Set trap becomes Triple Trap. Tripwire gains 1 more activation charge.

Master Trapper - Triple Trap: +20% inc damage. Piercing Trap: 2% morale return. Decoy: +15% inc crit. Tripwire: Adds DOT. The One Trap: -15% Mitigation

Strong Intimidation - +10sec Fear/Knockdown/Stun/Daze/Slow/Root(basically all CC effects), -10% Resist vs all CC effects.

Heightened Senses - -5s Trap cooldown on Evade, Partial Evade, Parry, Partial Parry, and striking with melee skills. +8 Stealth Detect. +5% Evade.

Purge Poison - Cooldown reverted to base skill, +5% Poison Resist

Sturdy Traps - +5s Grace Period, No Focus Loss on movement, all traps gain 2 activation charges.

Trapper line traits

Tripwire: Reduced CD to 45s

Natural Extracts: Unchanged

Survival Gear: Total moved to 10% from 8%, added 5% Evade

Combat Traps: Unchanged

Explosive Arrow: Unchanged

Elusive: 5% Evade, +10% run speed buff on Evade/Partial Evade

Rain of Thorns: Unchanged

Explosive Powder: Increase total to +25%

Endurance: +4% Endurance Parry/Evade, adds +10% to Hunter DOTs and Trap damage.

Complex Mechanisms: -10% Trap Resist, -10% Effect resistances (poison/wound/fear/disease)

Advanced Placement: +10 Trap Placement, Decoy becomes ground placed, all ground target skills can now be double-clicked to immediately place on target. (Like how you can do this with Captain banners)

Piercing Trap: Unchanged

Armor Rend: +10% inc crit, -5% Phys/Tac resist, -5% EBP

Improved Distracting Shot: -180s CD, +4s grace period,

Wounded Prey: All Trap debuffs/effects are now counted as Lingering Wound stacks for Mercy Shot (up to a point)

The One Trap: Unchanged

Emergency Prep: Cooldown reduced to 4sec

My request to improve yellow hunter:
    1. make triple trap have charges that can be placed however chosen, cd starts after 3rd trap is set
    2. make deadly decoy invulnerable, range placement, and remotely able to be detonated by clicking the skill again
    3. lingering wound. tier 3 dot does less damage than the barbed arrow dot. really? Make it ranged resounding challenge level dot, and make it stick until removed (removable since pvmp always overrides pve).
    4. allow traps/decoy/explosive traps to be target droppable. clicking the ground to use a skill is wasteful skill management. Toggle skill?
    5. Add tactical mastery to agility, and put tactical healing on melee LI, just like warden got with javelin (but burg did not). This would make piercing trap equivalent to the lore master wisp.
    6. stop being so stingy on DPS, red shouldn't be hogging it all. If it is the "trapper" line, then all trap damage should be exponentially higher, i'd sacrifice range damage skills to have it be trap based.