We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Gambles shouldn't overwrite

I haven't played Burg for a while but rolled one on Treebeard, so pardon me if I missed a discussion of this mechanic in a recent update.

Why do Gamble skills overwrite high tier version of their effects with lower tiers? One of the most frustrating things I've seen is when I manage to get a T6 Gamble of any color on an enemy only to use the skill again later (unintentionally or otherwise) and have it be replaced by a T1 Gamble.

It would make much more sense for repeated uses of Gamble-applying skills to tier up their effects on the target and/or refresh the duration. I know I can be more mindful of when I have a T5-6 effect and not overwrite it, but I think it would make Burglar a little more reliable for DPS or debuffs if we could intentionally increase the power of our effects by using skills intentionally.
    Arda Shrugged : Elendilmir (RIP) -> Arkenstone -> Anor (RIP) -> Landroval -> Treebeard

Quote Originally Posted by gildhur View Post
    I haven't played Burg for a while but rolled one on Treebeard, so pardon me if I missed a discussion of this mechanic in a recent update.

Why do Gamble skills overwrite high tier version of their effects with lower tiers? One of the most frustrating things I've seen is when I manage to get a T6 Gamble of any color on an enemy only to use the skill again later (unintentionally or otherwise) and have it be replaced by a T1 Gamble.

It would make much more sense for repeated uses of Gamble-applying skills to tier up their effects on the target and/or refresh the duration. I know I can be more mindful of when I have a T5-6 effect and not overwrite it, but I think it would make Burglar a little more reliable for DPS or debuffs if we could intentionally increase the power of our effects by using skills intentionally.
    I've always considered that the "gamble" part of the spec. You're taking a chance to get a higher tear version of the gamble, but you're also risking getting a lower tier one. It's what sets it apart from any other just stacking bleeds class tree. I'm not playing blue line at the moment, but I don't remember any effect where you can replace a gamble without using a specific skill intentionally to do so, so it's just part of making a "bad bet" when you tier down.

If it changed to work the way you are suggesting they could always rename the tree "Sure Thing"

Ideally blue burg is reworked so that you basically just play a game of Yahtzee via gamble rolls.
    ~ Take the player, not the class ~

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanin View Post
    I've always considered that the "gamble" part of the spec. You're taking a chance to get a higher tear version of the gamble, but you're also risking getting a lower tier one. It's what sets it apart from any other just stacking bleeds class tree. I'm not playing blue line at the moment, but I don't remember any effect where you can replace a gamble without using a specific skill intentionally to do so, so it's just part of making a "bad bet" when you tier down.

If it changed to work the way you are suggesting they could always rename the tree "Sure Thing"
    I think the stacking overall was probably too OP but right now BLUE is just not viable enough compared to RED/YELLOW.

Would be nice if there was a trait like "Gamblers Insurance" which meant that re-rolls never overwrite if they would draw a lower roll. A second point spent in that line could then reset the existing gamble duration on any re-roll (even if lower) so that you can viably maintain and build up your Gambles to stronger and stronger points (especially in long fights).

I think Cash Out might also need looking at. Right now it doesn't seem worth doing when you have a 5/6 red roll (what I can see at least is that cash out damage is lower than even one DoT so makes no sense in this case (especially if its got pips left to run). It would be better to take a calculation of overall damage left to run and apply it all at once (therefore incentive to take it quicker). It should also be instant application and maybe apply an interrupt too? In short fights I dont have time to use it and in long fights it never makes sense, I think its maybe even broken?

Quote Originally Posted by South3rs View Post
    I think the stacking overall was probably too OP but right now BLUE is just not viable enough compared to RED/YELLOW.

I mean yeah, it does less dmg than Red still, but hell of a lot more than yellow, i think it's a nice line in between those two. Bit of support and decent amount of dmg. That rotation (not me) is played with remm Aim Set (Red) and most dmg comes from Double Edged Strike + Flashing blades still (like both other specs do), it's just a small amount of dmg dealt by gambles, that might be the only problem with this line, i guess when you focus more on your gambles you can shift the spec more from dmg to support like you need it, depending on the fight. But I don't think blue is anything like a dead end, though it could use some scaling rework plus Bug fixes.
    Warden - Nicl - lvl130
    LM - Telperinor - lvl130
    Burglar - Nicsa - lvl130
    RK - Telpinquar - lvl130

Also, aren't blue gambles supposed to heal anyone who hits the target? Based on my recent Treebeard experience, no one in my group is getting healed by my gambles.
    Arda Shrugged : Elendilmir (RIP) -> Arkenstone -> Anor (RIP) -> Landroval -> Treebeard

Quote Originally Posted by gildhur View Post
    Also, aren't blue gambles supposed to heal anyone who hits the target? Based on my recent Treebeard experience, no one in my group is getting healed by my gambles.
    Blue gambles debuff the target's outgoing damage, attack duration and miss chance.

Green gambles heal people attacking the target. I just tested on a target dummy; it works, the heal reflect is 1% per tier of the green gamble, so 6% of the incoming attack at maximum.

Edit: The heals show up in the combat log as being done by the enemy with the green gamble on it ("Reflect"), not by the Burglar who applied the gamble...
    Last edited by LagunaD2; Nov 03 2021 at 05:46 PM.
    Dagoreth (Warden) and Belechannas (Lore-master) of Arkenstone

< No Dorfs >
    Fighting the Dorf menace to Middle Earth since 2008

Quote Originally Posted by LagunaD2 View Post
    Green gambles heal people attacking the target. I just tested on a target dummy; it works, the heal reflect is 1% per tier of the green gamble, so 6% of the incoming attack at maximum.

Edit: The heals show up in the combat log as being done by the enemy with the green gamble on it ("Reflect"), not by the Burglar who applied the gamble...
    Did you try it with someone else, not solo? I always see them on myself, but I have asked fellowship members before, and they've said they got no heals.

Solo.

I'll try to remember to test with a second character from my other account, but since the reflect debuff is on the target, I'd be very surprised if it heals selectively. I suppose anything is possible.
    Dagoreth (Warden) and Belechannas (Lore-master) of Arkenstone

< No Dorfs >
    Fighting the Dorf menace to Middle Earth since 2008