We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Hybrid View

Lightbulb Aifel's Maestro upgrades

I made some upgrades to Maestro. I have sorta kept them to myself and given them out to a handful of bands so far.
    After some months of usage it seems there is no jarring issues (at least issues that I have introduced). So therefore I now make it more widely available.

It fully supports 64 bit Java among other things. You can see some of its features here:

You might not like some of the changes I made, so be sure to read the entire changelog carefully before using my upgraded version.
    You can find the changelog as a file in the download link below:

Download link to Google Drive
    Last edited by Splik; Oct 09 2021 at 08:16 PM.
    Aifel of Laurelin

Tuilerie is offline Hero Of the Small Folk 2013
    Student of Ainulindalë
    Thank Aifel, this is good news. Will check it out

Quote Originally Posted by Splik View Post
    You might not like some of the changes I made, so be sure to read the entire changelog carefully before using my upgraded version.
    You can find the changelog as a file in the download link below:

Link to Google Drive
    Hey,

I read your list of changes and it sounds quite good to me ( which may have something to do with the fact that all those things you added - except one - were something that I considered and implemented for my converter already years ago .. hehehe).

I'd really like to know more details about the selection algorithm for overloaded chords. Back when I implemented it I couldn't decide and so the user selects to throw out lower pitch or higher pitches first. I could easily add a third option with your algorithm. I assume you analyze the chord and/or through out some tones from octaves first?

Also way to go with the volume adjusting, that has always been something Maestro was messing up quite a bit! It won't be enough to align the instruments at one pitch though. The game has volume variations in every tone and the .sf2 file uses only a few samples for the entire range, meaning that the volume of each tone will most likely be different from the game. Did you actually modify the .sf2 file to align the volumes or did you manipulate the volume in the midi player? My approach was to adjust the sf2 file rather, because sf2 files can also be used by other midi players than Maestro. Digero didn't like my way to add the instruments to the .sf2 files though and made sure his maestro wouldn't be compatible to the way I did it, so we can't easily interchange those anymore. You could have saved yourself quite some effort with the volume aligning if you would have just adopted the sf2 file from BruTE instead of going through the effort of volume measuring yourself.

Anyway congratulations on those changes, I will do some testing!

Bruzo
    Bruzo, Dwarrowdelf Minstrel ~ "A Rock & a Hard Place"

I didn't think about checking Brutes sf2.

The volume changes I did was in the sf2 file, per instrument, not per sample.

I did some other changes to the sf2 file as can be seen in the changelog, like for example the decay was changed.
    I also changed which instruments have all their samples in the sf2, and which have only some and then how many.
    It takes more CPU the more samples has to be interpolated, and more memory the more samples are included, especially the longer samples ofcourse. And the default heap space for people still using 32 bit java, is hit easily.
    So it was a balance act, and for some instruments the samples sound very even with each other, and some they differ alot, so that was a consideration also.

Sure, you can have the prune note algorithm, allow me some time to write it down.
    Aifel of Laurelin

First tracks are combined into 1 track.
    And notes playing at same time is combined into same chord.

Then that chord is pruned until only 6 notes remain in it.

It does that by sorting the notes. Then keeping the top 6.

Sorting works by comparing notes by notes, 2 at a time.

Notice: The highest/lowest pitch comparisons happen before too high or too low notes have been octave transposed into the 3 playable octaves.

Here is the sorting compare algorithm: (starting from 1, if a bullet point has a resolution it don't go further down)
    -------------------------------------
    1: If one of the notes is a rest then the rest gets higher priority. (this is only used for preview, so you can ignore this point)

2: If one of the notes is a continuation of a tied note then give that note higher priority. Unless non-sustained instrument, and at this point longer than 1.1s (which is max time for non sustained instruments) then give that note lower priority.

3: If it is the highest pitched note in the chord then give higher priority.

4: If it is the lowest pitched note in the chord then give higher priority.

5: If notes differ in volume then give the loudest priority.

5: If the notes have same pitch and volume, then give the longest priority.

6: If one of the notes has octave spacing from lowest or highest note, then give it lower priority. (eg. 12, 24, 36, 48 semitones between etc.)

7: If the 2 notes have octave spacing between each other then give the highest pitched higher priority.

8: Lastly give lower priority to notes that are closer to center of the chord.
    Aifel of Laurelin

I have played with this a bit to test out, and some of the features are nice, but in many cases the song does not sound the same as in game I've listened through both versions of Maestro and in game going between each window to hear differences, the old Maestro sounds just like in game, Maestro upgrades does not, in some ABC files they are all the same but most are not. other then the sounds i like idea of the new features such as Zoom.
    Pontin Level 140 Hobbit Burglar Leader of Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    other classes: Minstrel, Guardian, Captain, Hunter.

Taken many Screenshots of Middle-earth, Also a Moderator of the LotRO Community Discord server

Quote Originally Posted by Pontin_Finnberry View Post
    I have played with this a bit to test out, and some of the features are nice, but in many cases the song does not sound the same as in game I've listened through both versions of Maestro and in game going between each window to hear differences, the old Maestro sounds just like in game, Maestro upgrades does not, in some ABC files they are all the same but most are not. other then the sounds i like idea of the new features such as Zoom.
    I would like to narrow this down. Could you perhaps try with the old Maestro .sf2 file, just copy it into the installation. Does it then sound more to your liking?
    Any chance you could tell me more, which instruments you feel sound worse? Is it short notes, longer or both, or you mean volume?
    Is it small band pieces or many band members, or both?
    Or maybe give me an example piece of music to try?

And what about stereo, you sure you didn't get tricked by the mono Maestro, vs. having some stereo in Lotro? And is it Maestro only, or you also think AbcPlayer sound worse (and if so did you run Abc Player with stereo or mono option)?
    Last edited by Splik; Aug 08 2021 at 12:26 PM.
    Aifel of Laurelin

Once I figured out I shouldn't be trying to do my arrangement from the Maestro.jar, but the Maestro64.exe it works fine and the instruments, to me sound like they should. When I tried to do the arrangements from Maestro.jar nothing sounded as it should, especially the bassoons, and I kept hearing stringed instruments instead of horns or woodwinds. When I opened the Maestro64.exe in the folder and used that I breathed a sigh of relief.

The volumes do seem louder and I am sure I'll need to make more adjustments with that than I had before using the old system. I'll continue to keep the old maestro and compare the outcomes.

You people impress me with all of your hard work and knowledge. I applaud your effort and skill. Thank you.

Hannariel that does sound like something went wrong in the installation. I most of the time use just the Maestro.jar and it always work fine for me.

Notice that the installation instructions changed between 2.5.0.59 and 2.5.0.60+. See the new instructions in the changelog that is in the download link.
    Aifel of Laurelin

Added a slider in v2.5.0.63 to adjust how much stereo spacing you want when listening to preview. All the way to down mono if you prefer that.
    Aifel of Laurelin

Ok, so the music sounds great in game, however we did notice an error. In Songbook, for all of the instruments except lonely bassoon and drum, it said Basic Drum required....So that's probably not on your end but on the person who last did Songbook.

I suspect this comes from Digero's move to rename the instruments, and adding 'basic' as prefix. But if you only get it from my upgraded version vs. Meastro 2.5.0, then I don't understand. (unless the name/band of your song contains the word "drum").

Which version of songbook are you using? There is at least 3 public available ones:

Songbook: https://www.lotrointerface.com/downl...-Songbook.html
    Songbook - The Badger Chapter: https://www.linawillow.org/home/plugins-2/songbook/
    Songbook Legendary edition: https://www.lotrointerface.com/downl...ryEdition.html

I personally use the badger chapter with some modifications, so I don't have your issues and cannot check it.

Maybe try upgrade to Lina's The Badger Chapter songbook, it handles it a bit better than the basic songbook if I remember correct.
    The badger chapter was made before fiddles and bassoons I believe, so it probably don't do it right for all instruments though.
    I haven't tried the legendary edition but maybe it handles it even better yet.

Not sure if there are any other versions of songbook floating around.

Also be mindful of the "Pattern for ABC Part Name" inside Maestro options, to be sure that the instrument name is output in the part name.
    Aifel of Laurelin

Quote Originally Posted by Splik View Post
    I suspect this comes from Digero's move to rename the instruments, and adding 'basic' as prefix. But if you only get it from my upgraded version vs. Meastro 2.5.0, then I don't understand. (unless the name/band of your song contains the word "drum").

Which version of songbook are you using? There is at least 3 public available ones:

Songbook: https://www.lotrointerface.com/downl...-Songbook.html
    Songbook - The Badger Chapter: https://www.linawillow.org/home/plugins-2/songbook/
    Songbook Legendary edition: https://www.lotrointerface.com/downl...ryEdition.html

I personally use the badger chapter with some modifications, so I don't have your issues and cannot check it.

Maybe try upgrade to Lina's The Badger Chapter songbook, it handles it a bit better than the basic songbook if I remember correct.
    The badger chapter was made before fiddles and bassoons I believe, so it probably don't do it right for all instruments though.
    I haven't tried the legendary edition but maybe it handles it even better yet.

Not sure if there are any other versions of songbook floating around.

Also be mindful of the "Pattern for ABC Part Name" inside Maestro options, to be sure that the instrument name is output in the part name.
    I'm using Zedrock's beta version. When I went to the badger page to copy the link it isn't working so I left a comment. I like that you can make several rows for the instruments.

Is it possible to make a new instrument in Maestro .. lets call it StudentFX .. where you can adress only the "special" FX like you adress the drums?
    Palantorio Rochalor
    * Frag dich nicht, was deine Sippe für dich tun kann, frag dich was Du für die Sippe tun kannst.. *
    Anführer / Leader : Belegaer - Bewahrer des Lichts
    Deascaith : Belegaer - Notenzauber
    Palwyn / Paldoria : Landroval - Notenzauber
    Rotmund : Sirannon - Notenzauber

Cool

Thanks for your work, Aifel and Splik!!
    Have you considered making a tempo increase/decrease possible in the section editor? This would be helpful if the arranger wanted to have a section accelerate or decelerate.
    Also, I've thought of using the fade on the level of phrase of music, increasing volume in the middle and decreasing it toward the end. (The tempo adjuster would be nice this way, too.) The problem with the tool as is would be the limited number of measure sections you can alter if there are many phrases in the piece.
    I'm someone who edits the ABC files directly, but I'm asking on behalf of anyone who might want to use Maestro for more in-depth editing, which is the role you seem to be taking it toward, which is great! The added flexibility you're bringing to the tool is wonderful and welcome.
    Primary: Tirigifu of Rohan, female human burglar/yeoman; Alt 1: Tiriadoc Brandybuck, male hobbit minstrel/historian; Alt 2: Tirialataire, female elf lore master/explorer .

Quote Originally Posted by palantorio View Post
    Is it possible to make a new instrument in Maestro .. lets call it StudentFX .. where you can adress only the "special" FX like you adress the drums?
    This sounds entirely possible. But it will mean that .msx you save from the upgraded Maestro wont really work in 2.5.0 Maestro anymore. I will certainly consider it, I think its a good idea.
    Aifel of Laurelin

Quote Originally Posted by palantorio View Post
    I made an attempt at this. Please check that it works like you imagined:

MSI:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RH7...ew?usp=sharing

ZIP:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CPW...ew?usp=sharing

Note: This is a preview release, so don't chop my head off if there is some bugs.
    Aifel of Laurelin

I'm fine with only 64.

64bit Maestro is fine by me as i only use 64bit, I'd imagine not many use 32bit anymore these days.
    Pontin Level 140 Hobbit Burglar Leader of Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    other classes: Minstrel, Guardian, Captain, Hunter.

Taken many Screenshots of Middle-earth, Also a Moderator of the LotRO Community Discord server

Released 2.5.0.81 and 2.5.0.82:

Version 2.5.0.81
    Code:
    - Maestro now accept karaoke midi files with .kar ending.
    - Added Close Project to main file menu. Suggested by Paane.
    - Polyphony counter now goes orange above 54 notes. Suggested by Jersiel. Will still go red at 64+.
    - Fixed that rare MIDIs with very low Pulse Per Quarter Note (PPQ) resolution could change note and rest lengths in non-swing mode and in mix timings mode.
        The fix makes the output in sync and correct tempo when using non-swing timing or mix timing or both.
        It does however not solve the imprecise timings of such MIDI when converted to ABC.
        I suggest for such MIDI, edit them to a finer resolution (for example PPQ of 480) in a MIDI editor.
        Thank you to Jersiel for hearing the issue in the first place.
    - Fixed that final rest in a abc part would start where the event that began last would end,
        instead of be sure to pick the event that actually ended last and use that ending.
    - Fixed that the very last chord of a abc part would not be broken up and tied,
        but instead would just be output even if notes in had different lengths.
        Lotro would not complain, but for consistency it will now also be broken up and tied.
    Version 2.5.0.82
    Code:
    - Made 64 bit the default version.
    - Removed support for 32 bit.
    - Included more samples for Horn and Bagpipe.
    - Polyphony counter now also shows peak concurrent playing notes. Suggested by Jersiel.
        But do remember again that due to technical reasons Maestro note fadeout time is longer than in lotro,
        and since notes in fadeout phase is counted, the polyphony numbers have a tendency to be too high.
    - German and French words for 'center', 'left' and 'right' in part titles will now also change stereo pan.
        The words recognized is now: left, links, gauche, right, rechts, droite, middle, center, zentrum, mitte and centre.
        Upper or lower case does not matter.
    - Added limited support for Songbook variants based on The Badgers Chapter.
        It can output title, genre and mood.
        There is also an option to output all parts played for convenience.
        There is no way to select individual parts to be played.
    Aifel of Laurelin