We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Lightbulb Curiosity Question: Melee Hunters?

I've played hunter before several times so I know there's some melee skills in there... which got me to wondering, could they be played as a melee class primarily? Now obviously I realize this would suck in raids and such, but if you're out solo-ing, how bad would it be?

Again, this is just me wondering, don't @ me and tell me it's a stupid idea or whatever, thanks.
    :: Rosewillow Noakes - Bilbo Baggins Fangirl - Landroval ::
    :: Rosequartz Tunnelly - Aspiring Talespinner - Landroval ::

Quote Originally Posted by KitsuneGirl View Post
    I've played hunter before several times so I know there's some melee skills in there... which got me to wondering, could they be played as a melee class primarily? Now obviously I realize this would suck in raids and such, but if you're out solo-ing, how bad would it be?

Again, this is just me wondering, don't @ me and tell me it's a stupid idea or whatever, thanks.
    I don't think so for two reasons.

First, the damage done with melee is poor compared to ranged skills.

Second, hunters survive by not being in melee. The medium armour just doesn't give the mitigations to last long with multiple mobs on you.

Yeah I figured the melee skills were terrible since there's I think 3 or 4 of them and you're primarily a ranged class.
    :: Rosewillow Noakes - Bilbo Baggins Fangirl - Landroval ::
    :: Rosequartz Tunnelly - Aspiring Talespinner - Landroval ::

The original concept was the same as for the Warden; ranged until the mob's closed with you and then shift stance to melee. I think most of us found that you could just stay in ranged mode and still take the mobs out even with them in your face.

Granted not very real, but game workable.

A similar question: Does anyone bother with the melee skills at all? Since you can just kill the mobs with ranged skills, the melee ones seem like a waste of bar space.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxmaiden14 View Post
    A similar question: Does anyone bother with the melee skills at all? Since you can just kill the mobs with ranged skills, the melee ones seem like a waste of bar space.
    They would be situational. For example, in red, low-cut with it's root is handy to get a bit of space before uploading again with range AoE.

Your two most important melee skills are Dazing Blow and Low Cut. Hunter melee skills are mostly utility tools, and even Scourging Blow gives 2 Focus now.

Hunters are a ranged class, through and through. It would be like trying to make a ranged Champion work...it doesn't.

If the mobs aren't killing you, you will die of boredom trying to kill the mobs with your melee skills.
    Linden Starfall, Leader of Mithril Crowns of Elendilmir and Arkenstone

There are so many other melee classes... choose champion or something else. That is a melee with an option to also shoot bow.