We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Steps to follow for new legendaries

As a public service, here are the steps I followed on 3 of my level 130 characters, who all had maxed out imbued legendaries and bridles. Your mileage may vary. Note that this is just to get you started with the new LIs. There is still plenty of room for enhancement as you play the game and get more mats.
    1. Make note of the stats from your old legendaries. This may be by either writing them down or using screen captures to save the images. In the latest version of Windows 10, this can be done by pressing Windows+Shift+S while the legendary tooltip is displayed.
    2. Make note of all the stats in your character panel (from Morale down to Tactical Mitigation. This will be used later when comparing old vs. new legendaries.
    3. Use the legendary panel to extract items from your old legendaries. Do this by pressing the Appraise button, followed by the Claim button. You will get the following types of items:

1. Ancient Script. This is a currency for buying legendaries and traceries. It caps at 10000 account-wide, but you could get up to 13000 when appraising all three items (weapon, class item and bridle).
    2. Fragmented Morgul Traceries. This is a currency for buying Incomparable legendaries and traceries, which is the next to highest level.
    3. Enhancement Runes (Purple). Use these to enhance the traceries on your new item up to level 430.
    4. Enhancement Runes (Teal). Use these to enhance the traceries on your new item from level 430 up to 440.
    4. Travel to the Last Homely House in Rivendell. The Archive of Traceries is on the second floor on the left side. The vendor on the left after you go in – Legendary Weapons/Class Items – is the first person to see.
    5. For Wardens and Hunters, purchase two legendary weapons, since they do not have class items. For all other classes, buy one weapon and one class item. They will cost 200 Ancient Script each.
    6. At the same NPC, open the forge to reforge your new items. This will bring them up to your current level. Note: Characters should be up to at least level 121 before doing this whole process.
    This is also the time you should rename your LI, since it may be some time until the next reforge.
    7. Go to the inner room to the bookshelf marked Heraldric Traceries. From the dropdown, select the group called Lvl 121 Incomparable Page 1. From here, buy a Heraldric tracery for each of your two items. They will cost 1200 Ancient Script and 1 Fragmented Morgul Tracery. Select traceries that best fit your class, using the stats you gathered in the first two steps above.
    Apply these to your items as follows:

1. Right-click on the tracery in your inventory.
    2. Select the item from the panel that appears and press the Apply button.
    3. Drag the tracery to the panel for the item that appears and confirm it.
    8. Across the room from the Heraldric Traceries bookshelf is one marked Word of Power Traceries. Use this next to obtain Words of Power for your items. There are usually 3 Words of Power on one item and 2 on the second, for a total of 5.
    Again, be sure to select the group Lvl 121 Incomparable Page x. (there are 2 pages to choose your traceries from). Incomparable Word of Power Traceries cost 900 Ancient Script and 1 Fragmented Morgul Tracery. So, at this point, you will have spent 7300 Ancient Script and 7 Fragmented Morgul Traceries. Select the traceries that best fit your class and apply them the same as in step 7 above.
    9. Back next to the Heraldric Traceries is the bookshelf marked Word of Craft Traceries. From here, select at least one Word of Craft for each of your items (you can have a max of two per legendary).
    Again, be sure to select the group Lvl 121 Incomparable Page 1. Incomparable Word of Craft Traceries cost 600 Ancient Script and 1 Fragmented Morgul Tracery. So, at this point, you will have spent up to 9700 Ancient Script and 11 Fragmented Morgul Traceries (if you get two for each legendary). Select the traceries that best fit your class and apply them the same as in step 7 above.
    10. In the main room are the class-specific Word of Mastery bookshelves. Use the bookshelf that matches your class. From here, select as many Word of Mastery Traceries as you have Ancient Script left for each of your items (you can have a max of six per legendary).
    Again, be sure to select the group Lvl 121 Incomparable Page x. (there are 2 pages to choose your traceries from). Incomparable Word of Mastery Traceries cost 600 Ancient Script and 1 Fragmented Morgul Tracery. Select the traceries that best fit your class and apply them the same as in step 7 above.
    11. Now, enhance all of the traceries using the runes you extracted in step 3 above. Be sure to apply 30 of the Purple runes first, then 10 of the Teal runes. This will bring the tracery up to level 440 out of a possible 499. (At present, this is as high as you can go.) You apply the runes by dragging it over the tracery, confirming and dragging the size bar to 30 for the Purple ones and over to 10 for the Teal ones.
    Note that you can also barter for new enhancement runes at the original NPC in the main room, though I do not recommend this. I had a surplus of Enhancement Runes on each of my characters, and ran out of Ancient Script first.
    12. At this point, you will probably have some leftover Ancient Script, but not enough to get Incomparable traceries. If you have any slots left – either Words of Mastery or Craft - you can get one or two Uncommon traceries, which are only 100 Ancient Script. Apply and enhance them as in the previous steps.
    13. You should have some Fragemented Morgul Traceries and Enhancement Runes left.
    Since they are Bound to Account, you can save them for future use in your shared storage.
    14. Now comes the moment of truth. In order to equip the new legendaries, you first have to unequip the old ones. You can do this by opening the character panel and dragging the old items from there to your inventory. This is non-destructive, and can be reversed if you do not like the results from the new legendaries.
    Equip the new legendaries by dragging them into the slots in the character panel.
    15. Now, compare your stats to what they were in step 2 above. In most cases, you should see an improvement – some will be dramatic. You may have one or two where the stat goes down. Make note of these for the future, when you can either add or replace traceries.
    I have done 3 level 130 characters so far and have seen dramatic improvements in each of them, with only 1, 2 or 3 stats being reduced. Even so, none of the reductions were more than minimal.

I hope you find this to be helpful. As I said above, your mileage may vary, and you very well could find some things I missed. If so, feel free to reply.
    Last edited by chalexHere; Oct 14 2021 at 04:45 PM.

That was VERY helpful. I suggest you edit and move the note about applying Enhancement Runes to after the instructions for obtaining the traceries. And add something about being able to purchase additional Enhancement Runes at the vendor in the room.

Can you go through something similar for mid-level characters? Toons from Level 50 through 99 who don't have ILIs but have LIs and so still need to deal with conversion.

I did my 10 mid-level toons yesterday and it took a huge amount of time. Plus I think I wasted a lot of Ancient Script by not using the "green" enhancement runes before the "blue" enhancement runes. I still don't know if the blue can be used after a green has been applied.
    Edit: Now I know and yes they can, in fact, you really ought to do it that way because otherwise you’re just wasting the better/more expensive Enhancement Runes.
    Last edited by Tralfazz; Oct 14 2021 at 05:28 PM.

Note: Characters should be up to at least level 121 before doing this whole process.
    So are you saying we should not do this at level 60?

Quote Originally Posted by Tralfazz View Post
    That was VERY helpful. I suggest you edit and move the note about applying Enhancement Runes to after the instructions for obtaining the traceries. And add something about being able to purchase additional Enhancement Runes at the vendor in the room.

Can you go through something similar for mid-level characters? Toons from Level 50 through 99 who don't have ILIs but have LIs and so still need to deal with conversion.

I did my 10 mid-level toons yesterday and it took a huge amount of time. Plus I think I wasted a lot of Ancient Script by not using the "green" enhancement runes before the "blue" enhancement runes. I still don't know if the blue can be used after a green has been applied.
    I made the changes you suggested on the Enhancement Runes.

Unfortunately, all the characters I am doing this on are at least level 121, so I could not follow your other suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by StinkyGreene View Post
    So are you saying we should not do this at level 60?
    The details I presented were specific to a level 130 character with maxed out old LIs. I am not suggesting that you should not use the new LIs on lower characters. However, while the general steps would be the same - the NPCs you see, etc. - the details would be far different. For example, the items you receive when appraising your old LIs would be very different. Also, you would have to select different traceries, and their cost would be different.

As a general guideline, you can still follow the steps, but expect the results to be very different. Also, the traceries you select would effect the end result. I selected traceries that somewhat matched my old legacies, and were class-specific. If you do differently, the end result might be different.

My original intention was only to clarify the steps to follow, since all the guides I have seen were not doing that and SSG did not put out a tutorial.

Appreciate the step by step instructions. I have spent the last couple years maxing out my level 60 First Age LI (4 per character) on a couple characters and am frightened to screw things up.

Appreciate the step by step instructions. I have spent the last couple years maxing out my level 60 First Age LI (4 per character) on a couple characters and am frightened to screw things up.
    Imagine the trepidation of someone who has spent over 10 years maxing out LIs on 7 characters who are now at least level 120. My intent was to make the process less foreboding.

Just keep in mind that this can be non-destructive. While you cannot mix and match old and new LIs, you CAN save the old ones in your inventory. If you do not like the initial results, you can switch back to the old LIs and use them while you build up the new ones. At some point, the new LIs will most likely give you better stats, and you will feel more comfortable using them.

Of course, at some point down the road - maybe next year - the old LIs will become scrap. But you should have enough time to work on the new ones by then.
    Last edited by chalexHere; Oct 14 2021 at 11:32 AM.

A few things to add which I have not seen covered elsewhere – I may have missed them!

The new LI system 'appraisal' is determined on your character level not LI level. A level 116 with maxed out LI will get inferior items compared to the identical LI on a level 130.

Do step 14 first. This will prevent you from accidentally equipping 'unique' traceries as when equipped it warns you in red … “You cannot ...”

I wonder if holding off from appraising items until next month will give level '14' enhancement runes and Gundabad traceries once you reach level 131
    Nae king! Nae quin! Nae laird! Nae master! We willna' be fooled again! Terry Pratchett ... Wee Free Men

Wow! Interesting explanation, but...
    This is an absurd!

A whole process like this and the game even put an tutorial?

I still don't know If I clean my old High level LI, will I have enought points to do all that stuff and be with similar power.
    Last edited by PatasdoLeao; Oct 14 2021 at 12:36 PM.

FYI - I just posted this about my level 60 Hunter with mediocre LIs:

At the beginning of LIs the new system worked beautifully. I just logged off from updating a level 60 Hunter on Shadowfax. He had 6 LIs slotted: 2 x level 25ish main weapons (min level 59 wpns reforged only twice) plus 3 junk LIs at mid teens and one that had not yet been reforged. When I claimed all the stuff from these and built a new bow and sword I was able to fill all the Heraldry, Power, Mastery, and craft slots and max out 8 of those with the enhancement runes I got. I had enough ancient scripts left over to buy another 80 or so runes but I stopped because I had almost capped physical mastery.

Both of these weapons acquired Beleriand damage type on the initial identification at the forgemaster which was a nice boost from Ancient Dwarf. I gave them a test by popping back to Eregion and running down to the border of Enedwaith and sniping some of the level 65 Dunlendings across the boundary. (The Mastery that granted +9 to range helped with that!) Heartseeker did a dev crit for more than 20,000 morale. Swift Bow was usually a 1 skill kill. Even a 3-5 Quick Shots was usually enough.

I also noted that the daily quests across from the Dolven View stable now hand out your choice of Ancient Scripts or Enhancement Runes rather than scrolls or fused relics.
    If you Claim all the stuff from your maxed out FA 60s you will still have them as functional LIs and can build new LIs while continuing to use the old ones to play. The main thing you'll need to be careful about is overcapping stats. I almost wasted enhancement runes by overcapping Phys Mastery. I stopped when it hit 203% including bonus.
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

Great write up

Feels like you need 3+ ILS to get the necessary mats to make 2 Legends.

The Enhancement runs you get from the conversion only get you to a max item level of 430 after the patch/hotfix. [EDIT 440 was checking one I hadn't finished off]Will have to go find the notes for them...

IDing folk on the server and it's a reminder of the days of peeps walking around with 3 legacy ILIs at rank one wondering what the hell to do.
    Last edited by Braer; Oct 14 2021 at 05:32 PM.

You might want to remind people to rename their LI in step 6. Since there's only one reforge for the next month or two, it's an easy thing to miss. Nicely done!

Quote Originally Posted by Braer View Post
    The Enhancement runs you get from the conversion only get you to a max item level of 430 after the patch/hotfix. Will have to go find the notes for them...
    I'm working on one right now after the hotfix, and it works the same as it did before. The Purple runes get you to 430 and the Teal ones then get you to 440. DO NOT use the Teal runes before using the Purple ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Tel'aran'rhiod View Post
    You might want to remind people to rename their LI in step 6. Since there's only one reforge for the next month or two, it's an easy thing to miss. Nicely done!
    Done. Thanks, I missed that - even on the 3 chars I worked on.

Quote Originally Posted by NacMac View Post
    ....I wonder if holding off from appraising items until next month will give level '14' enhancement runes and Gundabad traceries once you reach level 131
    Apparently not. Blue name confirmed in another thread, that conversions done at character level above 130 will yield the same results as if done at level 130. So higher level stuff needs to be obtained from the new content, you cannot get it via conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by chalexHere View Post
    I'm working on one right now after the hotfix, and it works the same as it did before. The Purple runes get you to 430 and the Teal ones then get you to 440. DO NOT use the Teal runes before using the Purple ones.
    Yeah, my bad, updated post..

The new LI system 'appraisal' is determined on your character level not LI level. A level 116 with maxed out LI will get inferior items compared to the identical LI on a level 130.
    If you mean that you got level 116 enhancement runes instead of the higher ones, then yes, I agree. This is similar to the epic quest rewards. I just did some Ered Mithrin epics, and kept getting level 116 enhancement runes, which were no help for my level 121 character.

When I appraised my LIs for my (then 122) character, I did get the level 121 enhancement runes. I also got considerably more Ancient Script (14320 as opposed to less than 13K on my other chars).

So, I think that the quantity of items you get is determined by how high up you leveled your imbued items, but the TYPE of items you get is determined by your character's level.
    Felandrond - 130 LM, Freawald - 130 Hunter, Felbeorn- 130 Beorning, Felandaborn - 120 Minstrel, Felandadan - 130 Warden, Thrimlidor - 130 Champion, Freadwulf - 130 Captain

A few things to add which I have not seen covered elsewhere – I may have missed them!

True, with the amount of Ancient Script being the exception: that is LI level based.

Lightbulb

Two things to add to the information here:
    * To bring up Legendary panel for appraised legendary itemsm shift + double click on the actual item. They are not visible in the old Legendary Item panel through Shift + I.
    * The same class tracery may not exist on two different items equipped at the same time, for ex. "Shield damage" on Belt and weapon for Guardian. I do not know if the same rule apply also for the other type of traceries.

Also a tip if you are like me a returning player - Be sure to claim any available items in the Reward track before buying traceries, some are retrieved from here.
    AND the old Heritage Runes used for contributing to XP of Legendary Item can be used to progress the Reward track.
    Dreadful, guardian lv 65 - Curewise, minstrel lvl 65 - Swedor, hunter lvl 65 - Buffric, Capt lvl 63.
    of Yggdrasil - The Grand Moot of Scandinavians on Eldar-server

I've recently returned to the game and have just acquired my new legendary weapons. I have tracerys.

My issue is. I cannot get the tracerys to slot. I can see the new legendary item slot listing by hovering over the equipped weapon. Is there a different way to access this than viewing the old legendary item panel (which will also not allow me to slot anything.)

Quote Originally Posted by Laurelin717 View Post
    I've recently returned to the game and have just acquired my new legendary weapons. I have tracerys.

My issue is. I cannot get the tracerys to slot. I can see the new legendary item slot listing by hovering over the equipped weapon. Is there a different way to access this than viewing the old legendary item panel (which will also not allow me to slot anything.)
    You can bring up the full panel for that LI by shift-double-clicking on the LI or by dragging the LI from its equipped slot over to the essence slot of your character equipment pane. The essence slot is the flamey-looking icon just below your boot slot. Once you have invoked the full panel for that LI, you can drop the tracers and enhancement runs into the desired slots.

You can also right-click a tracery or stack of enhancement runes, but you have less control over exactly which slot the tracery or rune gets applied to.

Thumbs up

Zollin, from the YouTube channel, and Kinship Voice of the Rings has a very detailed video on how to set up your Legendary Gear, linked below. ????????& 10?

https://youtu.be/tmuGPFMgCCo
    Asplane. Cousin of Isoebel and [i]Kin to The Band Played On[/i].
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000001a023b/01003/signature.png]Dinhador[/charsig]