We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Tips needed for new archer

huntsman or bowmaster?

I'm trying to decide which line to choose and why. I'm a new archer.
    I'd like to use a heal somehow if possible. I see the Huntsman line has a heal. Any tips on deciding which to choose?

I read some posts in the forums and found this useful
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...lue-line-build
    Last edited by Guidorocker; Nov 20 2021 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Guidorocker View Post
    huntsman or bowmaster?

I'd like to use a heal somehow if possible. I see the Huntsman line has a heal. Any tips on deciding which to choose?
    You can set up two different specs and swap between them freely. (You can purchase a third spec setup with Mithril Coins.) So try them both to see which fits you better.

Assuming you're not doing a lot of dungeons or other group content where you have a tank to keep the monsters off you, it is very likely that you might prefer to go Blue/Huntsman. Blue line has two very large advantages for questing content and whenever you're solo and need to run around during a fight: 1- Blue does not lose Focus while moving. 2- Blue can use induction shots (induction is "casting time") while moving. In Red/Bowmaster, if you move you lose Focus and you can't move while using an induction shot. (There is a trait in the Red line which will allow you to move without losing Focus very briefly after performing a specific melee attack, and the final bonus class trait in Yellow/Trapper removes the Focus loss due to movement entirely – but Yellow still can't use induction shots while moving.)

Red has many advantages of its own, of course. If you are able to mostly stand still it generally does more damage than Blue.

All Hunters get the skill Blood Arrow at Level 20. Blue Hunters also get Press Onward which is a substantial heal, and Strength of the Earth which can heal a little if traited but only very, very little – it's mainly for Focus and a small amount of Power, the Morale regen is truly tiny. If you find yourself taking a lot of hits then Press Onward can help and maybe it will make you feel less likely to die as you're playing; if so, you need to be Blue spec to get it. Much, much later when you are high level and have a lot of Trait Points you will be able to get Press Onward in the Blue tree even if you are specced Red or Yellow, if you want it.

You can see what other people are doing with their Hunters at this website. Go to TRAIT TREE PLANNER and then click on COMMUNITY BUILDS. Almost all of these builds are for max-level Hunters but they will give you an idea as to how people use their Class Trait Points.
    https://ilovefriedorc.com

Have fun with LOTRO!

Quote Originally Posted by Tralfazz View Post
    You can set up two different specs and swap between them freely. (You can purchase a third spec setup with Mithril Coins.) So try them both to see which fits you better.

Assuming you're not doing a lot of dungeons or other group content where you have a tank to keep the monsters off you, it is very likely that you might prefer to go Blue/Huntsman. Blue line has two very large advantages for questing content and whenever you're solo and need to run around during a fight: 1- Blue does not lose Focus while moving. 2- Blue can use induction shots (induction is "casting time") while moving. In Red/Bowmaster, if you move you lose Focus and you can't move while using an induction shot. (There is a trait in the Red line which will allow you to move without losing Focus very briefly after performing a specific melee attack, and the final bonus class trait in Yellow/Trapper removes the Focus loss due to movement entirely – but Yellow still can't use induction shots while moving.)

Red has many advantages of its own, of course. If you are able to mostly stand still it generally does more damage than Blue.

All Hunters get the skill Blood Arrow at Level 20. Blue Hunters also get Press Onward which is a substantial heal, and Strength of the Earth which can heal a little if traited but only very, very little – it's mainly for Focus and a small amount of Power, the Morale regen is truly tiny. If you find yourself taking a lot of hits then Press Onward can help and maybe it will make you feel less likely to die as you're playing; if so, you need to be Blue spec to get it. Much, much later when you are high level and have a lot of Trait Points you will be able to get Press Onward in the Blue tree even if you are specced Red or Yellow, if you want it.

You can see what other people are doing with their Hunters at this website. Go to TRAIT TREE PLANNER and then click on COMMUNITY BUILDS. Almost all of these builds are for max-level Hunters but they will give you an idea as to how people use their Class Trait Points.
    https://ilovefriedorc.com

Have fun with LOTRO!

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Guidorocker View Post
    huntsman or bowmaster?

I read some posts in the forums and found this useful
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...lue-line-build
    I want add to the good comment of Tralfazz
    In endurance stance your quick shot will help you recover morale, it will help you tremendously when fighting strong enemies alone.
    Personally I enjoy the trapper line the most, I would argue it's the most survivable line, but the main reason why you play this is because you don't want to be a stationary high damage turret, or running away from enemies. You pick yellow because you will fight head on, and try to use traps to clever effect. For me it's the traps and crossbow why I play a hunter. Which is rather atypical. Just trying to say you can do whatever you enjoy there is not a fixed route, just do what you enjoy most.