We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Ring of Fire

Ring of Fire

I guess I'm looking for some clarification on this skill.

Is it broken?

Prior to 30.3 it was a double hit skill within a radius, plus a debuff. The patch notes, 30.3, say it has been fixed.

How is this fixed? It now only double hits a single target and a debuff for other enemies within the ring.

Yet, the description clearly states it's an attack on "enemies". No where in the description does it say it's a target skill.

IE: An attack leaving a flaming circle upon the ground that enemies fear to enter.

It then lists the damages and debuffs.

This skill feels broken, if not, then the description certainly is at least incomplete.

No, not broken.

A few updates ago, the double ring, up to 10 meters in diameter, was changed to a single ring and 5 meters in diameter. The problem solved was agrowing mobs from too far away, and on other sides of walls, plus to reduce RoF effect induced lag. It still provides massive BPE debuffs (-276,000 BPE), at max level and 102,175 to 145,965 fire damage on application, and 156,669 fire damage to up to 8 targets, in a 5 meter area, afterwards. (New LI, with Ring of Fire Damage Tracery (Teal, 460, +50% damage) and Area Effect Target Count Tracery (Teal, 460, +3 targets)). I use it frequently.
    Ujest - 140 Lore-master, Opun Tia – 107 Warden, Tummi - 105 Captain, Veneur - 75 Hunter, Cneasai - 66 Minstrel, plus alts and mules
    Officer, Pipeweed and Ale, Arkenstone (formerly – Friends of Frodo, Vilya)

and Star Citizen…

Ring of Fire has an initial hit that requires a target, and on hit then drops the circle and deals its area of effect damage (the 2nd damage on the tooltip) to all enemies within 5m of that initial target. The radius of the area effect hit does not increase if you max out the ranks of the trait.
    In addition it drops the circle centered on that initial target with a 5m radius what all enemies within are debuffed for -avoidance ratings. This debuff circle radius is increased to 10m if you max out the Ring of Fire trait.

The patch notes saying it was "fixed" are most likely referring to previous bullroarer builds where that secondary hit was not being increased by any tracery effects. It should now be increased by Single Target Words of Power for the initial hit, Area Effect words of Power for the 2nd hit, and the Ring of Fire damage Word of Mastery for both hits. Plus the Ascendant Flame Word of Craft 2set bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf_TheOld View Post
    No, not broken.

A few updates ago, the double ring, up to 10 meters in diameter, was changed to a single ring and 5 meters in diameter. The problem solved was agrowing mobs from too far away, and on other sides of walls, plus to reduce RoF effect induced lag. It still provides massive BPE debuffs (-276,000 BPE), at max level and 102,175 to 145,965 fire damage on application, and 156,669 fire damage to up to 8 targets, in a 5 meter area, afterwards. (New LI, with Ring of Fire Damage Tracery (Teal, 460, +50% damage) and Area Effect Target Count Tracery (Teal, 460, +3 targets)). I use it frequently.
    This is why it's confusing: "At max rank, Ring of Fire's radius is doubled". Yet, you are saying it's not? (I haven't tested it since 30.3)

The AOE damage effect was removed to reduce lag? How does that not effect overall skill damage? Where does it state it has a max number of targets? It just says within the ring.

I do have both of those traceries slotted which is why it's a disappointment to lose AOE damage.

So to be clear what I am learning is there are mistakes to both the class trait description and the skill description as well since the changes.

So, It is a target skill with an AOE debuff that does some damage and only comes in 1 size, with a max # of targets. (that is not what it reads)

/shakeshead

Edit: I almost did a bug ticket on this before this post. Maybe some accurate (updated) descriptions would go a long way and save support some time. Not to mention customer frustrations.
    Last edited by Loox; Nov 29 2021 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brinuw View Post
    It should now be increased by Single Target Words of Power for the initial hit, Area Effect words of Power for the 2nd hit, and the Ring of Fire damage Word of Mastery for both hits. Plus the Ascendant Flame Word of Craft 2set bonus.
    TY for that. I do already have these slotted. For those that rely solely on the description text to make decisions on tracery choices this insight helps

This skill used to hit 1 target and then drop 5 circles, all which then anytime an enemy would enter any of the circles they would take the secondary damage, however it would cause alot of lag when the skill was first used as 5 targets grouped together would then all enter the circles dropped by the nearby enemies.

I dont remember when the skill got changed to its current form but it is much better in terms of not lagging out everyone when you use it.

Hmm, so if I only use red-line for solo playing, there's no point in getting any more than 1 rank in Ring of Fire- is that right? Looks like further ranks just increase the debuff size/potency and never increases the damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Halphast View Post
    Hmm, so if I only use red-line for solo playing, there's no point in getting any more than 1 rank in Ring of Fire- is that right? Looks like further ranks just increase the debuff size/potency and never increases the damage.
    A greater debuff, becomes greater damage potential because of lesser resistance or mitigation.

But if you only want one rank, have at it.

Being a AoE and fire based class, RoF is sort of our thing.
    Ujest - 140 Lore-master, Opun Tia – 107 Warden, Tummi - 105 Captain, Veneur - 75 Hunter, Cneasai - 66 Minstrel, plus alts and mules
    Officer, Pipeweed and Ale, Arkenstone (formerly – Friends of Frodo, Vilya)

and Star Citizen…

Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf_TheOld View Post
    A greater debuff, becomes greater damage potential because of lesser resistance or mitigation.
    Right, I just wasn't sure the debuff was helpful to a loremaster. It only lists a debuff for block/parry/evade in the description, which I thought was just physical attacks...?

Quote Originally Posted by Halphast View Post
    Right, I just wasn't sure the debuff was helpful to a loremaster. It only lists a debuff for block/parry/evade in the description, which I thought was just physical attacks...?
    Correct. RoF debuff does nothing for the LM aside from Staff Sweep and auto-attacks. It's only for the group. And they should have enough Finesse to not need that RoF debuff. So spend 1 point to unlock the skill, but don't bother buffing it.
    In the sea without lees standeth the Bird of Hermes.
    When all his feathers be from him gone, He standeth still here as a stone.
    Here is now both white and red, And all so the stone to quicken the dead
    The Bird of Hermes is my name, Eating my wings to make me tame.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofHermes View Post
    Correct. RoF debuff does nothing for the LM aside from Staff Sweep and auto-attacks. It's only for the group. And they should have enough Finesse to not need that RoF debuff. So spend 1 point to unlock the skill, but don't bother buffing it.
    Though it's worth noting- with the most recent update they fixed some kind of max-rank radius problem that used to exist, and also made the damage radius increase at max rank, where it used to stay the same. So now there is a benefit to maxing the trait.