We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tralfazz View Post
    Find out: Turn off iCloud Drive then try to launch the game by running LotoLauncher.exe. You should be able to exclude your ~/Documents folder from iCloud Drive so you don’t have to disable it completely.

The appearance of that dialogue requesting the location of the client executable is usually a result of attempting to launch the 64-bit client within a WINE environment which can run only 32-bit applications. It should not be happening because you installed a version of WINE which can run 64-bit applications. Even the old version of WINE included with SSG’s “Mac Download” version of the game can run 64-bit applications, it just doesn’t have certain components required by LOTRO’s 64-bit client executable. So either something in your LOTRO install got bollixed or there is something not quite right with your .ini files; most likely the LOTRO game files.

Run the following 3 Terminal commands:
    brew doctor
    brew update
    brew upgrade
    The try launching the game again.
    This will repair anything the LOTRO launcher might have done to damage your WINE 7 files.

However, the problem is more likely related to the game’s files in ~/Library/Application Support/com.standingstonegames.lotro so if nothing here works for you our next step, which I will detail for you tomorrow if necessary, will be to fully delete the com.standingstonegames.lotro folder inside your ~/Library/Application Support folder followed by a reinstall of the game using the Windows installer rather than the “Mac Download” installer/the lotroclient application. This is not hard to do but because it will involve a full download of the entire 30-40gb it will be a bit time-consuming. So try the couple of quick things I suggested here then report back, I’ll provide the deletion and reinstallation instructions after that if necessary.

edit: One more thing, if you use a virus scanner please turn it off. Many virus scanners mistakenly flag WINE components as malware which ends up damaging the WINE installation.
    OK...ill keep plugging along...one step at a time...

thank you

B

edit: One more thing, if you use a virus scanner please turn it off. Many virus scanners mistakenly flag WINE components as malware which ends up damaging the WINE installation.
    I tried to follow these instructions (thank you!) and didn't have any luck either. At the end, when I tried to run the game from the .exe file in my dock, the popup said that I couldn't run a Windows application. I suspect that the virus scanner might have been the problem. If so, and if I can figure out how to turn off the virus scanner, I assume I don't need to re-download the brew thing but I will have to re-download the WINE part?

Find out: Turn off iCloud Drive then try to launch the game by running LotoLauncher.exe. You should be able to exclude your ~/Documents folder from iCloud Drive so you don’t have to disable it completely.

The appearance of that dialogue requesting the location of the client executable is usually a result of attempting to launch the 64-bit client within a WINE environment which can run only 32-bit applications. It should not be happening because you installed a version of WINE which can run 64-bit applications. Even the old version of WINE included with SSG’s “Mac Download” version of the game can run 64-bit applications, it just doesn’t have certain components required by LOTRO’s 64-bit client executable. So either something in your LOTRO install got bollixed or there is something not quite right with your .ini files; most likely the LOTRO game files.

Run the following 3 Terminal commands:
    brew doctor
    brew update
    brew upgrade
    The try launching the game again.
    This will repair anything the LOTRO launcher might have done to damage your WINE 7 files.

However, the problem is more likely related to the game’s files in ~/Library/Application Support/com.standingstonegames.lotro so if nothing here works for you our next step, which I will detail for you tomorrow if necessary, will be to fully delete the com.standingstonegames.lotro folder inside your ~/Library/Application Support folder followed by a reinstall of the game using the Windows installer rather than the “Mac Download” installer/the lotroclient application. This is not hard to do but because it will involve a full download of the entire 30-40gb it will be a bit time-consuming. So try the couple of quick things I suggested here then report back, I’ll provide the deletion and reinstallation instructions after that if necessary.

Hello...

reporting in this am:

#1 / I was able to exclude my ~/documents folder from iCloud ...Launched LotroLauncher.exe and received the same dialogue box.

#2 I ran the three terminal commands brew doctor, brew update and brew upgrade successfully. Now i just get the game error 201 "can't open the data files".
    At least Im not getting that dialogue box now.

#3 I don't have a virus scanner turned on...so that shouldn't be an issue.

I am prepared to delete all the SSG game files as you state and reinstall everything...realizing it will take some time.

A thought...should I just try that Crossover program first to avoid that big time consuming download?

Thanks so much...

B

Quote Originally Posted by Bristlehawk View Post
    #1 / I was able to exclude my ~/documents folder from iCloud ...Launched LotroLauncher.exe and received the same dialogue box.

#2 I ran the three terminal commands brew doctor, brew update and brew upgrade successfully. Now i just get the game error 201 "can't open the data files".
    At least Im not getting that dialogue box now.

#3 I don't have a virus scanner turned on...so that shouldn't be an issue.

I am prepared to delete all the SSG game files as you state and reinstall everything...realizing it will take some time.

A thought...should I just try that Crossover program first to avoid that big time consuming download?
    There will be no time savings with Crossover because you will need to install the game into a Crossover bottle. Plus it looks like your existing LOTRO installation is damaged so either way we're going to have to fully reinstall the game.

Let's delete your existing installation of LOTRO and install it fresh. Note that this will not result in the loss of any of your settings, we aren't going to delete your .ini files – just the application and support files.

A- How to delete the "Mac Download" version of LOTRO from your Mac:
    1- Go to ~/Library/Application Support and look for the folder:
    com.standingstonegames.lotro
    Delete that folder.
    2- Find the lotroclient application. It is probably in your /Applications folder but it's possible you have it somewhere else. Delete the lotroclient application.
    That's all there is to it. Once you drop those two items in the Trash and empty the Trash, the game is uninstalled from your Mac (except for ~/Documents/The Lord of the Rings Online which contains your .ini files and some other locally-stored preferences, we are not deleting that). The old version of WINE will go with it, you will have only the modern version of WINE which you installed using Homebrew earlier.

B- Triple-check WINE and your .ini files before continuing:
    1- Confirm that you have the Wine-Stable application in your /Applications folder. If it isn't there, STOP and report that instead of continuing to Part C. It is possible that you moved it to another location, if so just put it back in /Applications. Otherwise, its absence means your installation of WINE is not complete.
    2- Launch the Terminal application and run these three commands, one at a time:
    brew doctor
    brew update
    brew doctor
    If anything looks amiss after running any of those three command lines, STOP and report that instead of continuing to Part C. If WINE is not fully installed and undamaged, we need to perform some other steps. I will be very surprised if that will be necessary, we are running this check just to be absolutely sure.
    3- Using TextEdit, open your UserPreferences.ini file and confirm the following 4 lines, making whatever changes are needed:
    GameClientType=1
    ScreenMode=Windowed
    WindowedResolution=800x600
    GraphicsCore=D3D9
    Then save the file and quit out of TextEdit.
    This will force the game to run the 32-bit client. We will change you to the superior 64-bit client later, for now it's easier to troubleshoot using the 32-bit client because only one .ini file needs to be addressed whereas with the 64-bit client we need to address two .ini files.

C- How to install LOTRO onto your Mac so that you can use it with the version of WINE you installed earlier:
    1- Download the "PC Download" installer from this website. Be sure you know where it has been saved when the download is complete. Here is the download link:
    https://files.lotro.com/lotro/installers/lotrolive.exe
    2- Launch the Terminal application if it isn't already running.
    3- Without the quotation marks, type the word "wine " just like that, including a space afterward.
    4- Use the Finder to locate the lotrolive.exe file which you downloaded in Step 1. Drag the file into the Terminal window. Terminal will automatically create the proper command-line path to the file. When you do that, the line should look something like this:
    Code:
    wine /Users/YourMacUserAccountName/Downloads/lotrolive.exe
    Don't worry if the path is different. The example here is what it will look like if you left the lotrolive.exe file in your ~/Downloads folder but you might have put it somewhere else and that's OK.
    5- Hit your RETURN key to send the command. The Windows version of the LOTRO installer will start up. Follow the prompts as needed: Say YES when asked if you want the high-resolution graphics, say NO to DirectX 10 or DirectX 11, agree to licenses, grant permissions, etc.
    6- Do not close the Terminal window or close the Terminal application! The installer and the LOTRO launcher application will shut down if the Terminal window is closed. The process is running "inside" the Terminal.
    7- Eventually, after 30gb-40gb are downloaded and installed, the installation will be complete and you will be presented with the opportunity to choose a server and enter your login credentials. Enter the game at this point to test that everything is working then log out and quit.
    8- Please note that while the "Mac"/WINE installer puts com.standingstonegames.lotro into your ~/Library/Application Support folder, the Windows installer puts it into ~/Library. Note also that there is no equivalent to the lotroclient application but don't worry, it's still easy to launch the game. We'll deal with that later in Part D.
    9- You will notice that the LOTRO installer dropped a couple of files onto your Desktop:
    The Lord of the Rings Online.desktop
    The Lord of the Rings Online.lmk
    These do NOTHING on a Mac. You can save them if you want, but they do NOTHING. (They are useful to an actual Windows box running a Windows OS, but not on a Mac even with WINE or Crossover.) You should delete them. If you choose to keep them for some reason, at least put them somewhere out of the way so they don't clutter up your Desktop.
    10- Quit out of the Terminal application.

D- How to launch LOTRO so you can play it:
    1- Look inside ~/Library/com.standingstonegames.lotro/common/wineprefix/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/StandingStoneGames/The Lord of the Rings Online
    2- Look for the file LotroLauncher.exe
    3- Drag the file LotroLauncher.exe to the right side of your Dock. BE SURE YOU DON'T ACTUALLY MOVE THE FILE, you just want to create an icon for it in your Dock.
    4- Whenever you want to play LOTRO, click on the LotroLauncher.exe icon on the right side of your Dock. This will run the LOTRO launcher application with WINE. The LOTRO launcher application is where you enter your account name and password, choose your server, then click on the PLAY button. After that, the LOTRO launcher application will close itself and launch the LOTRO client.

E- Changing to the 64-bit client:
    1- Using TextEdit, open your UserPrefereces.ini file and change this one line to match:
    GameClientType=3
    Save the file, close the file, do not quit out of TextEdit yet.
    2- Using TextEdit, open your UserPreferences64.ini file and confirm the following 3 lines, making whatever changes are needed:
    ScreenMode=Windowed
    GraphicsCore=D3D9
    Save the file then quit out of TextEdit.
    3- Attempt to launch the game. After the game launches (in Windowed mode) and you enter a game world with a character, you can use the in-game OPTIONS panel to change to Full Screen Windowed and make whatever other changes you like.

I'm looking forward to your next report which I expect will describe your success!

There will be no time savings with Crossover because you will need to install the game into a Crossover bottle. Plus it looks like your existing LOTRO installation is damaged so either way we're going to have to fully reinstall the game.

Let's delete your existing installation of LOTRO and install it fresh. Note that this will not result in the loss of any of your settings, we aren't going to delete your .ini files – just the application and support files.

A- How to delete the "Mac Download" version of LOTRO from your Mac:
    1- Go to ~/Library/Application Support and look for the folder:
    com.standingstonegames.lotro
    Delete that folder.
    2- Find the lotroclient application. It is probably in your /Applications folder but it's possible you have it somewhere else. Delete the lotroclient application.
    That's all there is to it. Once you drop those two items in the Trash and empty the Trash, the game is uninstalled from your Mac (except for ~/Documents/The Lord of the Rings Online which contains your .ini files and some other locally-stored preferences, we are not deleting that). The old version of WINE will go with it, you will have only the modern version of WINE which you installed using Homebrew earlier.

B- Triple-check WINE and your .ini files before continuing:
    1- Confirm that you have the Wine-Stable application in your /Applications folder. If it isn't there, STOP and report that instead of continuing to Part C. It is possible that you moved it to another location, if so just put it back in /Applications. Otherwise, its absence means your installation of WINE is not complete.
    2- Launch the Terminal application and run these three commands, one at a time:
    brew doctor
    brew update
    brew doctor
    If anything looks amiss after running any of those three command lines, STOP and report that instead of continuing to Part C. If WINE is not fully installed and undamaged, we need to perform some other steps. I will be very surprised if that will be necessary, we are running this check just to be absolutely sure.
    3- Using TextEdit, open your UserPreferences.ini file and confirm the following 4 lines, making whatever changes are needed:
    GameClientType=1
    ScreenMode=Windowed
    GraphicsCore=D3D9
    Then save the file and quit out of TextEdit.
    This will force the game to run the 32-bit client. We will change you to the superior 64-bit client later, for now it's easier to troubleshoot using the 32-bit client because only one .ini file needs to be addressed whereas with the 64-bit client we need to address two .ini files.

C- How to install LOTRO onto your Mac so that you can use it with the version of WINE you installed earlier:
    1- Download the "PC Download" installer from this website. Be sure you know where it has been saved when the download is complete. Here is the download link:
    https://files.lotro.com/lotro/installers/lotrolive.exe
    2- Launch the Terminal application if it isn't already running.
    3- Without the quotation marks, type the word "wine " just like that, including a space afterward.
    4- Use the Finder to locate the lotrolive.exe file which you downloaded in Step 1. Drag the file into the Terminal window. Terminal will automatically create the proper command-line path to the file. When you do that, the line should look something like this:
    Code:
    wine /Users/YourMacUserAccountName/Downloads/lotrolive.exe
    Don't worry if the path is different. The example here is what it will look like if you left the lotrolive.exe file in your ~/Downloads folder but you might have put it somewhere else and that's OK.
    5- Hit your RETURN key to send the command. The Windows version of the LOTRO installer will start up. Follow the prompts as needed: Say YES when asked if you want the high-resolution graphics, say NO to DirectX 10 or DirectX 11, agree to licenses, grant permissions, etc.
    6- Do not close the Terminal window or close the Terminal application! The installer and the LOTRO launcher application will shut down if the Terminal window is closed. The process is running "inside" the Terminal.
    7- Eventually, after 30gb-40gb are downloaded and installed, the installation will be complete and you will be presented with the opportunity to choose a server and enter your login credentials. Enter the game at this point to test that everything is working then log out and quit.
    8- Please note that while the "Mac"/WINE installer puts com.standingstonegames.lotro into your ~/Library/Application Support folder, the Windows installer puts it into ~/Library. Note also that there is no equivalent to the lotroclient application but don't worry, it's still easy to launch the game. We'll deal with that later in Part D.
    9- You will notice that the LOTRO installer dropped a couple of files onto your Desktop:
    The Lord of the Rings Online.desktop
    The Lord of the Rings Online.lmk
    These do NOTHING on a Mac. You can save them if you want, but they do NOTHING. (They are useful to an actual Windows box running a Windows OS, but not on a Mac even with WINE or Crossover.) You should delete them. If you choose to keep them for some reason, at least put them somewhere out of the way so they don't clutter up your Desktop.
    10- Quit out of the Terminal application.

D- How to launch LOTRO so you can play it:
    1- Look inside ~/Library/com.standingstonegames.lotro/common/wineprefix/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/StandingStoneGames/The Lord of the Rings Online
    2- Look for the file LotroLauncher.exe
    3- Drag the file LotroLauncher.exe to the right side of your Dock. BE SURE YOU DON'T ACTUALLY MOVE THE FILE, you just want to create an icon for it in your Dock.
    4- Whenever you want to play LOTRO, click on the LotroLauncher.exe icon on the right side of your Dock. This will run the LOTRO launcher application with WINE. The LOTRO launcher application is where you enter your account name and password, choose your server, then click on the PLAY button. After that, the LOTRO launcher application will close itself and launch the LOTRO client.

E- Changing to the 64-bit client:
    1- Using TextEdit, open your UserPrefereces.ini file and change this one line to match:
    GameClientType=3
    Save the file, close the file, do not quit out of TextEdit yet.
    2- Using TextEdit, open your UserPreferences64.ini file and confirm the following 3 lines, making whatever changes are needed:
    ScreenMode=Windowed
    GraphicsCore=D3D9
    Save the file then quit out of TextEdit.
    3- Attempt to launch the game. After the game launches (in Windowed mode) and you enter a game world with a character, you can use the in-game OPTIONS panel to change to Full Screen Windowed and make whatever other changes you like.

I'm looking forward to your next report which I expect will describe your success!
    Hello ...
    I just read through your complete instructions just to make sure I understand everything.

One question...

In your previous post on the three terminal commands they were
    brew doctor
    brew update
    brew upgrade

This time you stated brew doctor twice...and not brew upgrade
    Just making sure that is what you intended...

I will start this this afternoon...and keep you informed with any issues or questions.

B

This time you stated brew doctor twice...and not brew upgrade
    Just making sure that is what you intended...
    Yes, that's correct: Check current installation, check for updates, check installation again.

Yes, that's correct: Check current installation, check for updates, check installation again.
    Hello...

I had taken you at your word on the three terminal commands and completed them in that order successfully.

Then I proceeded to follow your instructions to the T...everything proceeded smoothly although timely...but i knew that going in...

at the end of the install it all appeared successful until the install stopped with the terminal window open... the text just stopped...i waited thinking it was not done...
    but nothing happened...(this is the last line of the text in the terminal window...0264:fixme:coreaudio: ca_channel_layout_to_channel_m ask Unhandled channel 0xffffffff

Also i have not been able to find the folder with the LotroLauncher.exe file as you stated it would be in ~\library

I am stumped and at a loss...

I am sure you will have ideas and direction with the next path to take.

I remain grateful for all your time and effort helping me.

B

Hello...

I had taken you at your word on the three terminal commands and completed them in that order successfully.

Then I proceeded to follow your instructions to the T...everything proceeded smoothly although timely...but i knew that going in...

at the end of the install it all appeared successful until the install stopped with the terminal window open... the text just stopped...i waited thinking it was not done...
    but nothing happened...(this is the last line of the text in the terminal window...0264:fixme:coreaudio: ca_channel_layout_to_channel_m ask Unhandled channel 0xffffffff

Also i have not been able to find the folder with the LotroLauncher.exe file as you stated it would be in ~\library

I am stumped and at a loss...

I am sure you will have ideas and direction with the next path to take.

I remain grateful for all your time and effort helping me.

B
    OK...with much searching the Standingstonegame folder was there and i found the LotroLauncher.exe file. I moved it to the right on the dock.

I completed the ini edits and saved those two files.

I launched the game and that window "Where is the Game Client executable" came up and when i cancel that window "Failed to launch client" pops up. It ends with the Lotro screen hanging on "Initializing".

shaking my head ...but still willing to forge ahead with ideas you have...

B

I launched the game and that window "Where is the Game Client executable" came up and when i cancel that window "Failed to launch client" pops up. It ends with the Lotro screen hanging on "Initializing".
    If you have the GameClientType=1 line in UserPreferences.ini that should not happen. I'm a bit perplexed. Try again, and this time when the dialogue appears asking you to locate the game client, select ~/Library/com.standingstonegames.lotro/common/wineprefix/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/StandingStoneGames/The Lord of the Rings Online/lotroclient.exe then report back with your results.
    Last edited by Tralfazz; Mar 31 2022 at 03:00 AM. Reason: Corrected the file path to lotroclient.exe

If you have the GameClientType=1 line in UserPreferences.ini that should not happen. I'm a bit perplexed. Try again, and this time when the dialogue appears asking you to locate the game client, select ~/Library/com.standingstonegames.lotro/common/wineprefix/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/StandingStoneGames/The Lord of the Rings Online/lotroclient.exe then report back with your results.
    Good Morning...

The saga continues and I'm as perplexed as you my friend.

I never gave you stats on my system so here it is:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,3
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 6 MB
    Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
    Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Also I am running a dual boot...with Mojave and Catalina.

I checked the ini files and they are set for GameClientType=1

This am I didn't get the dialogue window looking for the Game Client Executable...yea!

After entering my account info and password I received a NEW error. (??????) :

"Failed to authenticate response [err:unexpected end of file][line:1][col:1]"

You have made a yeoman's effort on my behalf Tralfazz and I can't thank you enough. If I ever make it back in the game i would see to it that you receive some form of money, craft, steed or something.

I may just go out and buy a Windows laptop just to be able to play.

FYI...i put a ticket into SSG support about 2 weeks ago and finally received a response this am: She apologized, but explained that the game is not supported on Mac and they can't offer any technical support. (I'm not surprised) She referred me to this forum.

Please you don't need to spend any more time on my problem...you have done enough...and I thank you.

best regards,

B

I checked the ini files and they are set for GameClientType=1

This am I didn't get the dialogue window looking for the Game Client Executable...yea!

After entering my account info and password I received a NEW error. (??????) :

"Failed to authenticate response [err:unexpected end of file][line:1][col:1]"
    That's good! You're getting that error because the servers are all down for maintenance. EVERYONE gets that error if they try to log in during maintenance.

So wait until after 2pm EDT today and try again. Don't give up yet! I'm happy to help for as long as you have patience to keep trying.

That's good! You're getting that error because the servers are all down for maintenance. EVERYONE gets that error if they try to log in during maintenance.

So wait until after 2pm EDT today and try again. Don't give up yet! I'm happy to help for as long as you have patience to keep trying.
    Oops...I should have known that...good 'ol server maintenance...

Ill try after 2pm EDT...

also my Mac OS Mojave version is 10.14.6

B

Oops...I should have known that...good 'ol server maintenance...

Ill try after 2pm EDT...

also my Mac OS Mojave version is 10.14.6

B
    OK back at it.

Tried to launch game with LotroLauncher.exe and the update was downloaded and installed. I logged in with my username and password and then I chose my server and hit play. A dialogue box popped up that was "Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Latest Supported Downloads". There was no message with this dialogue box to stop and download anything or install anything...it appeared to be just a message or announcement that I had the correct Microsoft Visual C++

After that all appeared to go smoothly...and received NO error messages.

Three items appeared on the dock...Wine Stable, wine-preloader, and Terminal.

Nothing more appeared on the screen? The game never came up?

Its good to not have any error messages...so I guess that is progress. I have tried several times and same result...the game doesn't load after i choose the server. The Microsoft Visual C++ does not come up anymore.

So that is where I am...

B

Tried to launch game with LotroLauncher.exe and the update was downloaded and installed. I logged in with my username and password and then I chose my server and hit play. A dialogue box popped up that was "Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Latest Supported Downloads". There was no message with this dialogue box to stop and download anything or install anything...it appeared to be just a message or announcement that I had the correct Microsoft Visual C++

After that all appeared to go smoothly...and received NO error messages.

Three items appeared on the dock...Wine Stable, wine-preloader, and Terminal.

Nothing more appeared on the screen? The game never came up?

Its good to not have any error messages...so I guess that is progress. I have tried several times and same result...the game doesn't load after i choose the server. The Microsoft Visual C++ does not come up anymore.
    The game needed to put some Microsoft C++ components into your WINE installation. It did that successfully and you should not see that dialogue again unless SSG decides to require some additional such components in the future.

The Terminal application shouldn't be coming up on its own. You can quit out of Terminal. Having it open shouldn't be hurting anything though.

Wine-Stable is the little Mac application that connects Windows executable files with WINE. When you double-click on LotroLauncher.exe or click on its alias icon in your Dock, Wine-Stable is the application associated with the .exe extension which runs to get the Windows executable loaded within WINE.

The wine-preloader application is the WINE environment in which the various Windows processes are running on your Mac. (In other words, that's where the game is running; as close as possible without getting technical, it is the game application.)

What all that means is, things seem to be running properly. If the LOTRO launcher application runs, you enter your credentials and hit PLAY, and then nothing happens; that is a common problem for both Windows and Mac computers related to the LOTRO client's difficulty dealing with UHD/"retina" resolutions.

A- Are you using more than one monitor? If so, disconnect any external monitors, just use the screen built into your MacBook for now. You can reconnect it later.

B- Let's grant some special permissions to the Wine-Stable application:
    1- Go to System Preferences->Security & Privacy. "Unlock" it by clicking on the brown lock icon in the lower left of the window and entering your password.
    2a- In the column on the left side, look for ACCESSIBILITY. Click on that.
    2b- Click the plus sign (+) under the list of applications to the right. Find Wine-Stable (it should be in /Applications) and add it to the list.
    2c- Be sure the small checkbox to the left of the name of Wine-Stable in the list of applications within the Accessibility window is checked.
    3a- In the column on the left side, look for FILES AND FOLDERS. Click on that.
    3b- Look carefully through the list of applications to the right. Is Wine-Stable listed? Under Wine-Stable, is "Documents Folder" listed with a checkmark to its left?
    3c- If there is no listing for Wine-Stable in the list of applications for FILES AND FOLDERS, please report that in your next reply.
    3d- If there is a listing for Wine-Stable in the list of applications for FILES AND FOLDERS and the "Documents Folder" under it is not checked, check that box.
    4- Quit out of System Preferences.

C- Open your UserPreferences.ini file with TextEdit and check the following lines:
    (I know I've asked you to do this like 10 times already, but I'm going to add a lot of extra lines this time, check them all carefully and be sure each line only appears ONCE – we do not want any duplicate lines, especially lines with conflicting arguments.)
    GameClientType=1
    ScreenMode=Windowed
    Windowed Resolution=800x600
    GraphicsCore=D3D9
    AllowDesktopCompositing=True
    AllowFakeFullScreen=True
    AllowWindowResizing=True
    Antialiasing=2x
    ConfineFullScreenMouseCursor=T rue
    FixedOutputScaling=Default
    ForceFakeFullScreen=False
    FullScreen=False
    RefreshRate=Auto
    Once you confirm or correct those lines, attempt to run LotroLauncher.exe. Be alert for any small popups or windows that tell you that some permission needs to be granted. Look behind any other windows on your screen especially behind any windows generated by the game because sometimes MacOS will invoke its dialogues behind other UI elements where they cannot be seen until those other UI elements are moved out of the way. You might be asked to give special access to Wine-Stable to "control your Mac" or to have access to your microphone; grant any permissions requested.

D- If after all of the above you continue to get no launch of the client application after clicking on PLAY in the LOTRO launcher application, do the following. Do this only if the above did not result in a successful client launch:
    1- Restart your Mac.
    2- Change your screen resolution to 800x600. If you don't know how to do this, download EasyRes from the Mac App Store. It's free:
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/easyres/id688211836?mt=12
    Then use EasyRes to change your MacBook's built-in display to 800x600.
    (I know this is very low resolution, it's just for purposes of getting the game to run for the first time after which you will be able to go back to the resolution you prefer.)
    3- Attempt to run the game.
    4- If the game client still fails to run, report back in your next reply.
    5a- If you are able to get the client to launch, immediately go to the in-game OPTIONS panel and change the screen mode to FULL SCREEN WINDOWED.
    5b- After changing to FULL SCREEN WINDOWED mode, use COMMAND-TAB to switch to the Finder application. Then use Mission Control to look at all the windows on the screen. There might be requests to grant permissions to Wine-Stable or some other application which were hidden behind the LOTRO client window – if so, GRANT ALL REQUESTS.
    5c- After granting any requested permissions, use COMMAND-TAB to go back to the LOTRO client application (wine-preloader), then quit out of LOTRO.
    5d- After quitting out of LOTRO, you can set your MacBook's built-in display back to the resolution you prefer.
    5e- Run the game again, be sure everything is still working. Then quit out of the game.
    5f- If you use an external monitor, you can reattach that external monitor now.

Please let me know how this works for you and if you get a successful client launch, which step enabled that success.

The game needed to put some Microsoft C++ components into your WINE installation. It did that successfully and you should not see that dialogue again unless SSG decides to require some additional such components in the future.

The Terminal application shouldn't be coming up on its own. You can quit out of Terminal. Having it open shouldn't be hurting anything though.

Wine-Stable is the little Mac application that connects Windows executable files with WINE. When you double-click on LotroLauncher.exe or click on its alias icon in your Dock, Wine-Stable is the application associated with the .exe extension which runs to get the Windows executable loaded within WINE.

The wine-preloader application is the WINE environment in which the various Windows processes are running on your Mac. (In other words, that's where the game is running; as close as possible without getting technical, it is the game application.)

What all that means is, things seem to be running properly. If the LOTRO launcher application runs, you enter your credentials and hit PLAY, and then nothing happens; that is a common problem for both Windows and Mac computers related to the LOTRO client's difficulty dealing with UHD/"retina" resolutions.

A- Are you using more than one monitor? If so, disconnect any external monitors, just use the screen built into your MacBook for now. You can reconnect it later.

B- Let's grant some special permissions to the Wine-Stable application:
    1- Go to System Preferences->Security & Privacy. "Unlock" it by clicking on the brown lock icon in the lower left of the window and entering your password.
    2a- In the column on the left side, look for ACCESSIBILITY. Click on that.
    2b- Click the plus sign (+) under the list of applications to the right. Find Wine-Stable (it should be in /Applications) and add it to the list.
    2c- Be sure the small checkbox to the left of the name of Wine-Stable in the list of applications within the Accessibility window is checked.
    3a- In the column on the left side, look for FILES AND FOLDERS. Click on that.
    3b- Look carefully through the list of applications to the right. Is Wine-Stable listed? Under Wine-Stable, is "Documents Folder" listed with a checkmark to its left?
    3c- If there is no listing for Wine-Stable in the list of applications for FILES AND FOLDERS, please report that in your next reply.
    3d- If there is a listing for Wine-Stable in the list of applications for FILES AND FOLDERS and the "Documents Folder" under it is not checked, check that box.
    4- Quit out of System Preferences.

C- Open your UserPreferences.ini file with TextEdit and check the following lines:
    (I know I've asked you to do this like 10 times already, but I'm going to add a lot of extra lines this time, check them all carefully and be sure each line only appears ONCE – we do not want any duplicate lines, especially lines with conflicting arguments.)
    GameClientType=1
    ScreenMode=Windowed
    Windowed Resolution=800x600
    GraphicsCore=D3D9
    AllowDesktopCompositing=True
    AllowFakeFullScreen=True
    AllowWindowResizing=True
    Antialiasing=2x
    ConfineFullScreenMouseCursor=T rue
    FixedOutputScaling=Default
    ForceFakeFullScreen=False
    FullScreen=False
    RefreshRate=Auto
    Once you confirm or correct those lines, attempt to run LotroLauncher.exe. Be alert for any small popups or windows that tell you that some permission needs to be granted. Look behind any other windows on your screen especially behind any windows generated by the game because sometimes MacOS will invoke its dialogues behind other UI elements where they cannot be seen until those other UI elements are moved out of the way. You might be asked to give special access to Wine-Stable to "control your Mac" or to have access to your microphone; grant any permissions requested.

D- If after all of the above you continue to get no launch of the client application after clicking on PLAY in the LOTRO launcher application, do the following. Do this only if the above did not result in a successful client launch:
    1- Restart your Mac.
    2- Change your screen resolution to 800x600. If you don't know how to do this, download EasyRes from the Mac App Store. It's free:
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/easyres/id688211836?mt=12
    Then use EasyRes to change your MacBook's built-in display to 800x600.
    (I know this is very low resolution, it's just for purposes of getting the game to run for the first time after which you will be able to go back to the resolution you prefer.)
    3- Attempt to run the game.
    4- If the game client still fails to run, report back in your next reply.
    5a- If you are able to get the client to launch, immediately go to the in-game OPTIONS panel and change the screen mode to FULL SCREEN WINDOWED.
    5b- After changing to FULL SCREEN WINDOWED mode, use COMMAND-TAB to switch to the Finder application. Then use Mission Control to look at all the windows on the screen. There might be requests to grant permissions to Wine-Stable or some other application which were hidden behind the LOTRO client window – if so, GRANT ALL REQUESTS.
    5c- After granting any requested permissions, use COMMAND-TAB to go back to the LOTRO client application (wine-preloader), then quit out of LOTRO.
    5d- After quitting out of LOTRO, you can set your MacBook's built-in display back to the resolution you prefer.
    5e- Run the game again, be sure everything is still working. Then quit out of the game.
    5f- If you use an external monitor, you can reattach that external monitor now.

Please let me know how this works for you and if you get a successful client launch, which step enabled that success.
    taking a big sigh...

nothing worked Tralfazz...

I am not using more than one monitor...i checked the ini file and all was good per your specs.

The special permissions for wine-stable i completed but then trying to run LotroLauncher.exe...froze the computer. After I took off those special permissions I was able to launch again without freezing. Still the game didn't load and still no errors.

I did try to change the screen resolution via system preferences...i got it down to 1024x640 but that didn't change anything. It still wouldn't load .

I'm at a loss...and i need to give you a break...you have been more than patient and thorough with your efforts. I don't know how to thank you.

im gonna take a break from.

If i come back ill check in with you...but for now SSG has lost a customer.

Take good care Tralfazz...

Wishing you the best in all that you do...

Take good Care...

B

Hello! I recently followed Tralfazz's instructions for installing Wine on Mojave to update to the 64-bit client. For a brief time, it worked! But on my latest attempts to load the game, the LOTRO launcher has failed to boot at all. When I click on the launcher icon in my dock, Wine Stable begins to run as though it is working, but nothing further happens and the game launcher never appears. Another little detail: I had changed the icon for LotroLauncher.exe on my dock, but ever since this new problem arose it has transformed back into a wine glass. I have tried running the brew doctor / brew update commands in Terminal, but the problem persists. I'm not sure exactly when it stopped working, though I know I was able to log in and play the game during the Anniversary Event. I'm wondering if there's a miracle solution this time...? Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Berynwolf View Post
    Hello! I recently followed Tralfazz's instructions for installing Wine on Mojave to update to the 64-bit client. For a brief time, it worked! But on my latest attempts to load the game, the LOTRO launcher has failed to boot at all. When I click on the launcher icon in my dock, Wine Stable begins to run as though it is working, but nothing further happens and the game launcher never appears. Another little detail: I had changed the icon for LotroLauncher.exe on my dock, but ever since this new problem arose it has transformed back into a wine glass. I have tried running the brew doctor / brew update commands in Terminal, but the problem persists. I'm not sure exactly when it stopped working, though I know I was able to log in and play the game during the Anniversary Event. I'm wondering if there's a miracle solution this time...? Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated!
    After today's patch and maintenance are done, try running ~/Library/Application Support/com.standingstonegames.lotro/common/wineprefix/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/StandingStoneGames/The Lord of the Rings Online/LotroLauncher.exe by double-clicking on it directly from that location rather than from the Dock.

Game patches that change the LotroLauncher.exe application can "break" the Dock icon. So if that works, all you need to do going forward is to delete your existing Dock icon for LotroLauncher.exe and create a new one by dragging the Windows executable file from its "actual" location in the Finder to the right side of your Dock. You can give LotroLauncher.exe a nicer icon first if you want to.

I hope that fixes you up! If not, report back and we'll get you going with a little more effort.

I installed Mojave, Homebrew, WINE, and LOTRO on a 2014 Mac Mini today after fully wiping its drive. The procedure in the first message of this thread is still "good" – the 64-bit client worked perfectly. Couple of minor notes:

1- LOTRO now uses only one .ini file, UserPreferences.ini. There is no longer a UserPreferences64.ini. Therefore, there is no need to perform Step F2 of the instructions. You still need to set GameClientType=3 in the UserPreferences.ini file in order to run the 64-bit client. Also, note that you will still be limited to DirectX 9 so be sure that you set GraphicsCore=D3D9 or the game client will fail to run (this should already be set to DirectX 9 unless you are porting your UserPreferences.ini file from a Windows box or a Mac/Crossover install that was using DirectX 10 or DirectX 11).
    2- I had to log out of the Mac user account then log back in before the Mac "knew" that the LotroClient.exe file would be launched by the "Wine Stable" application. I don't recall this being the case in previous installations but it's not unusual for a log out/log in or restart to be needed for the proper associations between files and their default application links to be recognized by the Finder.
    3- The first time I attempted to launch the game, MacOS blocked it because it insisted that I first had to give "Wine Stable" permission to run using SYSTEM PREFERENCES->SECURITY & PRIVACY. This is as expected, just grant any permissions you are asked to grant with respect to "Wine Stable" or WINE or LOTRO or your microphone, etc.
    4- The first time I ran the LOTRO launcher application, it installed a bunch of Microsoft C++ stuff – you know, the stuff you get nagged about with browser windows/tabs but can't actually install if running SSG's "Mac Download" version of the game. No browser windows or tabs, just a quick installation of those components and the game then proceeded to patch itself and then present me with the usual opportunity to enter my credentials and then select a server. (Also, no warnings about missing DLLs or other broken Windows nonsense thanks to the updated components in WINE 7 compared to the outdated and missing components in WINE 4 which is what SSG includes with their "Mac Download" version of the game.) This is as I remember it from past installs, I don't recall it being this fast before, though.

Please remember that open-source WINE will work only in MacOS Mojave or earlier and I have not personally tested LOTRO with WINE in any version of MacOS earlier than Mojave. If you want to run LOTRO in a version of MacOS earlier than Mojave but no older than El Capitan (10.11), it ought to work but you will be mostly on your own if you run into any issues because I will not create a test system to assist with troubleshooting for versions of MacOS that old. If you want to run LOTRO in a version of MacOS more recent than Mojave, such as Monterey, you will need to use Crossover – there are some additional advantages to Crossover such as the ability to use DirectX 11 instead of DirectX 9.

The good news: Don't worry too much about the recent announcement about the 32-bit client being deprecated at the end of this calendar year (it barely works in the "Mac Download" version of the game now anyway) or SSG pulling all official support for running LOTRO in MacOS in August (they haven't really offered official support for over 2 years anyway). You will still be able to play LOTRO on your Mac using either the procedure described in the first message of this thread to install the latest version of open-source WINE, or by using Crossover which is a commercial product which is essentially the "pro" version of WINE and is both more powerful and easier to use.

The time to get the latest wine-stable is now, not later: If you're playing LOTRO using the "Mac Download" in Mojave or earlier, don't wait until it's almost too late. Follow the procedure in the first message of this thread and get yourself onto the 64-bit client now. The sooner the better, don't wait until December when you might find yourself in a rush to get it done before the first day of the new year because if you do need some extra help your problem might take a few days to resolve and you won't want to miss the Yule Festival!
    Last edited by Tralfazz; Jun 01 2022 at 02:55 AM. Reason: moved a comma

Hi there.... prompted by the recent deprecation news I decided to try my hand at this again.

So I made it up to this step:
    6- Eventually you will see the command-line prompt which means that Terminal is waiting for you to enter another command. When you see the prompt, copy-paste the following line from between the CODE tags or VERY CAREFULLY type the following into the Terminal:
    Code:
    brew doctor
    This will check your installation of Homebrew.
    7- Eventually, you'll see a bunch of text output. You will be told that there is a more recent version of the Xcode command-line tools available and that you should install it. You do not need to install it! The version installed in Step C5 will work just fine for the purposes of getting the latest stable version of WINE onto your Mac.
    8- If the "brew doctor" command told you about a problem, you need to fix it. This should not happen, if it does, try to fix the problem or come to this thread and provide as much detail as you can then I will do my best to help you. This should not happen, but if you did something wrong leading up to this step or something went wrong in Step C5, it's not impossible. Proceed to the following steps only if the "brew doctor" command doesn't warn you about a problem (other than the need for updated Xcode command-line tools which you do not actually need).
    which returned a LOT of problems. Digging around, it turns out that at least some of these are caused by the fact that I already have R (and thus tcl/tk) installed on my Mac. See this post: LINK.

I need R for my job, so I am afraid of following the instructions in that post to reinstall tcl/tk and re-link to R, because I can't afford to break R just so I can play LOTRO. Any insights about this issue??

Quote Originally Posted by DanteIL View Post
    Hi there.... prompted by the recent deprecation news I decided to try my hand at this again.

So I made it up to this step:

->Step C6<-

which returned a LOT of problems. Digging around, it turns out that at least some of these are caused by the fact that I already have R (and thus tcl/tk) installed on my Mac. See this post: LINK.

I need R for my job, so I am afraid of following the instructions in that post to reinstall tcl/tk and re-link to R, because I can't afford to break R just so I can play LOTRO. Any insights about this issue??
    First off, make a full backup – preferably a bootable backup – before you proceed if the Mac on which you are performing any of these operations is essential to something in your life other than entertainment. Then, if something untoward happens no matter how unlikely, you can always restore to the way they were before you began monkeying around.

Here are a couple of things to try:
    1- Ignore all those warnings. They might not affect Homebrew's ability to install WINE. The worst thing that will happen if you move on to the next step is that the installation of WINE will fail. It won't break anything you already have on your Mac except possibly some other installation of WINE and even then only if the installation of wine-stable begins and then fails during the installation process.
    2- All the Homebrew stuff is installed into /usr/local/bin. All the WINE stuff is installed into your user folder, mostly in various places in ~/. wine. None of it goes to your root directories. So one option you have is to create a new user account on your Mac and log in to that account to perform the installation of Homebrew and WINE. You will then have to log in to that user account in order to play LOTRO. Logging out of a user account and into another one takes seconds, you can even leave your main user account active and use "fast user switching" to move between user accounts without logging out of either of them.
    3- A more thorough version of (2) is to create a new boot volume on your Mac's drive (or get an external drive) and install Mojave, Homebrew, WINE, and LOTRO there. It will be completely segregated from your R for MacOS installation and there will be no chance of anything happening to your work tools. On the other hand, that will require rebooting any time you want to play LOTRO – I think this is overcautious overkill, (2) should be fine. But I thought I'd mention it so you're aware that this is an option even through it isn't one I recommend.
    4- Wait until I have time to properly research this issue. While it's not impossible I will come to some conclusion worth sharing with you within a day or two, I don't know if that will be the case. It's also possible that I'll come back in a week and say something like, "Sorry, I have no idea what you should do from here because I was not able to replicate your issue on my test system."
    5- Since you seem to be familiar with shell commands and have some technical expertise and so forth, you might want to install WINE directly rather than using Homebrew. Homebrew is just a tool to make some things such as installation of software easier, it isn't necessary for running LOTRO – WINE is necessary for running LOTRO. Here's where you can get started on that if you choose to do so:
    https://wiki.winehq.org/MacOS

Please share what you plan to do because if it's not (4) it will save me a lot of time!
    Last edited by Tralfazz; Jun 01 2022 at 02:36 PM. Reason: corrected spelling of "Please"

Please share what you plan to do because if it's not (4) it will save me a lot of time!
    Thanks for the reply and for some suggestions for things to try. When I get the chance, I am going to try option #2 and see if that works. I have no problem with switching user accounts, so if that works I'm happy. Not sure when I'll get the chance, but I'll report how it goes. You shouldn't need to spend any of your own time on this!

After today's patch and maintenance are done, try running ~/Library/Application Support/com.standingstonegames.lotro/common/wineprefix/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/StandingStoneGames/The Lord of the Rings Online/LotroLauncher.exe by double-clicking on it directly from that location rather than from the Dock.

Game patches that change the LotroLauncher.exe application can "break" the Dock icon. So if that works, all you need to do going forward is to delete your existing Dock icon for LotroLauncher.exe and create a new one by dragging the Windows executable file from its "actual" location in the Finder to the right side of your Dock. You can give LotroLauncher.exe a nicer icon first if you want to.

I hope that fixes you up! If not, report back and we'll get you going with a little more effort.
    Hi Tralfazz! I gave this a try (double-clicking the launcher from its location in Finder, replacing it in the dock as well) but I'm still having the same issue. Wine Stable appears to be booting up, but the launcher never appears and after some time it seems to quit of its own volition. I did have ONE fluke where I had given up and closed my laptop, then returned the next day to find the launcher miraculously open. The game ran okay, but since then I have not managed to get it to boot up again. I read through your newer post and double checked my UserPreferences.ini file for GameClientType=3 and GraphicsCore=D3D9; both were correct. I deleted the old UserPreferences64.ini as well. I did run into the security preferences issue when I was doing the Wine install, and have my permissions set to allow Wine Stable control. I'm running Mojave 10.14.6 on a 2015 MacBook Pro. Any other ideas of what I might be missing?

Thanks always for your attentive help for us LOTRO Mac users.

EDIT: I just found a screenshot and remembered that I got a window that said Program Error that one random time that I got the game to run. Here's what it said:

"The program lotrobrowserhelper64.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

"This can be caused by a problem in the program or a deficiency in Wine. You may want to check the Application Database for tips about running this application."

Quote Originally Posted by Berynwolf View Post
    Hi Tralfazz! I gave this a try (double-clicking the launcher from its location in Finder, replacing it in the dock as well) but I'm still having the same issue. Wine Stable appears to be booting up, but the launcher never appears and after some time it seems to quit of its own volition. I did have ONE fluke where I had given up and closed my laptop, then returned the next day to find the launcher miraculously open. The game ran okay, but since then I have not managed to get it to boot up again. I read through your newer post and double checked my UserPreferences.ini file for GameClientType=3 and GraphicsCore=D3D9; both were correct. I deleted the old UserPreferences64.ini as well. I did run into the security preferences issue when I was doing the Wine install, and have my permissions set to allow Wine Stable control. I'm running Mojave 10.14.6 on a 2015 MacBook Pro. Any other ideas of what I might be missing?

EDIT: I just found a screenshot and remembered that I got a window that said Program Error that one random time that I got the game to run. Here's what it said:

"The program lotrobrowserhelper64.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

"This can be caused by a problem in the program or a deficiency in Wine. You may want to check the Application Database for tips about running this application."
    Huh! That last part is interesting because some Windows users have reported error messages related to the way the game has recently changed its internal browser for the in-game store.

A- Let's start with a simple check of WINE. I know you said you did this recently, please indulge me by doing it again:
    1- Launch the Terminal.
    2- Run this command:
    Code:
    brew doctor
    3- If the output from "brew doctor" tells you that there is a problem, please report it in your next reply. (If it tells you that you ought to install an updated version of Xcode command line tools, you can ignore that. Anything else might be important, though.)
    4- Run this command:
    Code:
    brew update
    5- If the output from "brew update" tells you that you ought to run "brew upgrade" – do so.
    6- Quit out of the Terminal and attempt to run the game by double-clicking directly on the LotroLauncher.exe file found here:
    ~/Library/Application Support/com.standingstonegames.lotro/common/wineprefix/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/StandingStoneGames/The Lord of the Rings Online
    7- Please report back with your results.

B- If the above doesn't help, we might have a permission issue. Let's find out:
    1- Launch the Terminal.
    2- Type "sudo" into the Terminal's command line. Follow "sudo" by a single space. Do NOT hit the return key.
    3- Find ~/Library/Application Support/com.standingstonegames.lotro/common/wineprefix/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/StandingStoneGames/The Lord of the Rings Online/LotroLauncher.exe and drag it into the Terminal window. Doing so will populate the Terminal window with the exact file name and file path of the LotroLauncher.exe file. It will look weird because of how the Terminal hashes blank spaces in file and folder names and other oddities so don't let that worry you.
    4- Now hit the RETURN key on your keyboard. You will be asked to enter your Mac user account password; do so.
    5- Please report back with your results.

C- If neither of the above does any good, try launching the game using the old version of WINE provided by SSG:
    1- Find the lotroclient.app application. It is probably in your /Applications folder but you might have put it somewhere else.
    2- Double-click the lotroclient.app application.
    3- If the LOTRO launcher application launches, STOP. Do NOT attempt to run the LOTRO client application, it will fail because the WINE environment invoked by lotroclient.app cannot run the 64-bit client.
    3- Report back with your results. (I know it's going to nag you about installing C++ and other stuff, and give you error messages about missing DLLs. Don't worry about that. Tell me if you can get to a successful run of the LOTRO launcher application and if you get any issues other than those expected from using WINE 4.)

When you report back, please tell me what screen mode you are using. If you don't know, look inside your UserPreferences.ini file. It will be one of these three:
    ScreenMode=FullScreen
    ScreenMode=FullScreenWindowed
    ScreenMode=Windowed
    (I don't think this is related to your problem because this setting has no effect on the ability of the LOTRO launcher application to run, only the LOTRO client application. The information might be useful for us later, though.)

If neither A nor B fixes you up, you might need to run the "repair" process from the LOTRO launcher application. However, if you can't get the LOTRO launcher application to run, that might be difficult! I can think of two different ways to get the LOTRO launcher to run anyway but before we move on to something that (for most people) takes gigabytes of bandwidth and hours of time, try the two procedures above and report back. Do the third, too, as it will provide some potentially useful information for us.

-----
    FYI to anyone else reading this: Do NOT delete your UserPreferences64.ini or UserPreferences64.ini.bak file. It's too late for Berynwolf, his is gone. But if you were running the 64-bit client before the patch which changed the way the game uses its .ini files, keeping it around can help us to solve any problems that might come up. It won't hurt anything to keep it, it takes up extremely little space on your drive and the game won't even know it's there because LOTRO uses only UserPreferences.ini now.
    -----
    Last edited by Tralfazz; Jun 02 2022 at 06:55 PM.

I've been having the exact same problem, and tried out these solutions.

A: No change. I upgraded a ton of stuff with brew update, but at the end of the day it didn't make any difference.

B. I got an error message saying "cannot execute binary file."

C. I am able to open the old launcher. Gets me to the login screen with no issues at all. I didn't try actually logging in, though.

One thing that may or may not be relevant...as I was doing the instructions in C, I recalled that before I started having these error messages I had accidentally opened the old launcher once. Is it possible that the old launcher redid something with the settings, and messed stuff up?

Also, my screen mode is FullScreen, and I do still have my UserPreferences64.ini.bak file if that helps.

Thanks so much for all your help!

Huh! That last part is interesting because some Windows users have reported error messages related to the way the game has recently changed its internal browser for the in-game store.

A- Let's start with a simple check of WINE. I know you said you did this recently, please indulge me by doing it again:
    1- Launch the Terminal.
    2- Run this command:
    Code:
    brew doctor
    3- If the output from "brew doctor" tells you that there is a problem, please report it in your next reply. (If it tells you that you ought to install an updated version of Xcode command line tools, you can ignore that. Anything else might be important, though.)
    4- Run this command:
    Code:
    brew update
    5- If the output from "brew update" tells you that you ought to run "brew upgrade" – do so.
    6- Quit out of the Terminal and attempt to run the game by double-clicking directly on the LotroLauncher.exe file found here:
    ~/Library/Application Support/com.standingstonegames.lotro/common/wineprefix/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/StandingStoneGames/The Lord of the Rings Online
    7- Please report back with your results.

B- If the above doesn't help, we might have a permission issue. Let's find out:
    1- Launch the Terminal.
    2- Type "sudo" into the Terminal's command line. Follow "sudo" by a single space. Do NOT hit the return key.
    3- Find ~/Library/Application Support/com.standingstonegames.lotro/common/wineprefix/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/StandingStoneGames/The Lord of the Rings Online/LotroLauncher.exe and drag it into the Terminal window. Doing so will populate the Terminal window with the exact file name and file path of the LotroLauncher.exe file. It will look weird because of how the Terminal hashes blank spaces in file and folder names and other oddities so don't let that worry you.
    4- Now hit the RETURN key on your keyboard. You will be asked to enter your Mac user account password; do so.
    5- Please report back with your results.

C- If neither of the above does any good, try launching the game using the old version of WINE provided by SSG:
    1- Find the lotroclient.app application. It is probably in your /Applications folder but you might have put it somewhere else.
    2- Double-click the lotroclient.app application.
    3- If the LOTRO launcher application launches, STOP. Do NOT attempt to run the LOTRO client application, it will fail because the WINE environment invoked by lotroclient.app cannot run the 64-bit client.
    3- Report back with your results. (I know it's going to nag you about installing C++ and other stuff, and give you error messages about missing DLLs. Don't worry about that. Tell me if you can get to a successful run of the LOTRO launcher application and if you get any issues other than those expected from using WINE 4.)

When you report back, please tell me what screen mode you are using. If you don't know, look inside your UserPreferences.ini file. It will be one of these three:
    ScreenMode=FullScreen
    ScreenMode=Windowed
    (I don't think this is related to your problem because this setting has no effect on the ability of the LOTRO launcher application to run, only the LOTRO client application. The information might be useful for us later, though.)

If neither A nor B fixes you up, you might need to run the "repair" process from the LOTRO launcher application. However, if you can't get the LOTRO launcher application to run, that might be difficult! I can think of two different ways to get the LOTRO launcher to run anyway but before we move on to something that (for most people) takes gigabytes of bandwidth and hours of time, try the two procedures above and report back. Do the third, too, as it will provide some potentially useful information for us.

-----
    FYI to anyone else reading this: Do NOT delete your UserPreferences64.ini or UserPreferences64.ini.bak file. It's too late for Berynwolf, his is gone. But if you were running the 64-bit client before the patch which changed the way the game uses its .ini files, keeping it around can help us to solve any problems that might come up. It won't hurt anything to keep it, it takes up extremely little space on your drive and the game won't even know it's there because LOTRO uses only UserPreferences.ini now.
    -----

Quote Originally Posted by Athmur View Post
    I've been having the exact same problem, and tried out these solutions.

A: No change. I upgraded a ton of stuff with brew update, but at the end of the day it didn't make any difference.

B. I got an error message saying "cannot execute binary file."

C. I am able to open the old launcher. Gets me to the login screen with no issues at all. I didn't try actually logging in, though.

One thing that may or may not be relevant...as I was doing the instructions in C, I recalled that before I started having these error messages I had accidentally opened the old launcher once. Is it possible that the old launcher redid something with the settings, and messed stuff up?

Also, my screen mode is FullScreen, and I do still have my UserPreferences64.ini.bak file if that helps.
    Thank you for that really detailed report, Athmur. It helps a lot.

The version of WINE that SSG installed for you is completely segregated from the installation of WINE that you created using the method in the first message of this thread. However, while you are running the same installation of LOTRO in both cases, I don't think that running the game using WINE 4 could do anything that would prevent it from running in WINE 7 subsequently.

Please try this (note that these instructions assume that you were running the 64-bit client prior to the u33.0.5 patch which deprecated the UserPreferences64.ini file – if that is not correct, please STOP and report that to me instead of following these instructions):
    1- Be sure LOTRO is not running, neither the LOTRO launcher application nor one of the LOTRO clients.
    2- Go to ~/Documents/The Lord of the Rings Online and look for the following two files:
    UserPreferences.ini
    UserPreferences64.ini.bak
    3- Open both of those files with TextEdit.
    4- In UserPreferences.ini, DELETE everything except the sections headed by [Launcher] and [User_X].
    5- In UserPreferences64.ini.bak, COPY everything. Note that UserPreferences64.ini.bak should not include sections headed by [Launcher] or [User_X]. If your UserPreferences64.ini.bak does include those sections, do not include those sections in your COPY action.
    6- In UserPreferences.ini, PASTE everything you just copied. Paste it below the existing [Launcher] and [User_X] sections.
    7- Close the window for UserPreferences64.ini.bak. Don't save any changes, you should not have made any changes to that file.
    8- In UserPreferences.ini, check the following lines. If they don't match exactly, edit them to match. Spelling and capitalization count!
    GameClientType=3
    GraphicsCore=D3D9
    WebStoreExternalWindow=False
    9- SAVE your changes to UserPreferences.ini then QUIT out of your text editor.
    10- Attempt to launch the LOTRO launcher application. Be sure you are launching it with WINE 7, not WINE 4. In other words, either double-click ~/Library/Application Support/com.standingstonegames.lotro/common/wineprefix/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/StandingStoneGames/The Lord of the Rings Online/LotroLauncher.exe or click the alias of that file in your Dock – do not use the lotroclient.app application provided by SSG.
    11- If the LOTRO launcher application runs without issue, log into the game. Perform some light play testing for a few minutes including launching the in-game store browser.
    12- Report back with your results.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast