We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tralfazz View Post
    So here's the fix that has worked for Linux users who were reporting the same symptom as Berynwolf and Athmur. This procedure is designed for WINE 7 installed onto a Mac running MacOS 10.14.6 Mojave. Please note that since I could not reproduce the problem, I could not test if the procedure actually repairs the problem for LOTRO players using a Mac with Mojave and WINE 7. I did perform the procedure and I did test to be sure LOTRO would still run on my system (2019 21.5" i3 iMac booted into Mojave) and it performed exactly the same as it did before I made this change – i.e. perfectly fine. So I need someone to run this procedure on a system experiencing that issue to determine if it has a positive effect.

1- Launch the Terminal.
    2- Go to your /Applications folder in the Finder. Look for the Wine Stable application.
    3- Right-click on the Wine Stable application and choose SHOW PACKAGE CONTENTS.
    4- Click on CONTENTS.
    5- Click on RESOURCES.
    6- Click on WINE.
    7- Click on BIN.
    8- Look for "winecfg".
    9- In the Terminal, type "wine" followed by a single space, then drag "winecfg" into the Terminal window. Doing this will populate that command line of the Terminal with the correct path to "winecfg".
    10- Hit the RETURN key to run the command. The Terminal will generate some text output and then the "Wine configuration" GUI window will appear.
    11- Click on the LIBRARIES tab.
    12- Choose a "New override for library:" by using the scrolling list to find "vulkan-1".
    13- Click the ADD button to the right of the "New override for library:" selector.
    14- Under "Existing overrides:" click on "vulkan-1" – click only once.
    15- Click the EDIT button to the right of the "Existing overrides:" selector.
    16- Click the radio button to the left of "Builtin (Wine)".
    17- Click the OK button at the bottom of the EDIT OVERRIDE window.
    18- Click the APPLY button at the bottom right of the WINE CONFIGURATION window.
    19- Click the OK button at the bottom left of the WINE CONFIGURATION window.
    20- Close the WINE CONFIGURATION window.
    21- Quit out of the Terminal.

Attempt to run the game. If you can get to the LOTRO launcher application, log in. If you can get to the character creation/selection screen, enter the game world with a character. Do a brief performance test including invoking the in-game store interface. Then please report back here with your results.

Please remember that while I performed this procedure, I could not determine whether it would be effective for this problem as it is exhibiting on some people's Macs. So I can't guarantee that it will work for you if you are experiencing this problem and I am relying on you to report back to let me know your results.
    Well, I followed these instructions and now the launcher isn't opening at all again. Tried logging out and logging back in again, but that didn't make a difference this time...

Quote Originally Posted by Athmur View Post
    Well, I followed these instructions and now the launcher isn't opening at all again. Tried logging out and logging back in again, but that didn't make a difference this time...
    The force of the vulkan-1 WINE library over the vulkan-1 library included in the LOTRO distribution should not have had that effect. If you think the library preference change is the cause, you can revert the change.

I'm sorry that procedure didn't resolve your issue. I had a lot of hope for it since multiple Linux players with the same symptom, and whose error reports involved the lotrobrowserhelper64.exe file, resolved it by forcing the use of the "built-in" vulkan-1 library included with WINE.

The next step would be to try an older version of WINE. As I explained a few messages back, WINE 6 doesn't have a MacOS .pkg installer available and using Homebrew to install anything other than the latest release is a challenge – I can't find the URL/filepath for its brew "formula" and without that we can't use Homebrew for the install. (I am still looking, if I find it we can revisit trying WINE 6.) Compiling WINE from source is a bit more complex that I want to deal with via instructions on the LOTRO forums, if we can avoid having to do that, we should. So it would be better to try WINE 5 first which does have a simple MacOS .pkg installer. If you go back to Message #72 I have full instructions there.

If you have enough room on your Mac's boot drive (or a nice external SSD to use – doesn't have to be very large, 60gb will do), you might consider creating a new APFS volume, installing a virgin Mojave onto that, fully update Mojave, then install Homebrew, then install WINE 7, then copy over your ~/Documents/The Lord of the Rings Online folder from your existing boot volume, then install LOTRO. If that works, perhaps the cause is some other thing on your existing boot volume that is conflicting with one of the new or newly revised components from the last LOTRO client patch. At which point, you can choose to use that new boot volume to play LOTRO or we can continue to invest time and effort to try to track down what is causing the problem. Creating a new boot volume and installing those things is not as time-consuming as you might think, the most time-consuming is the LOTRO install and only if you choose to download it rather than copy it over from your existing boot volume. If we didn't have examples of working systems which are successfully running LOTRO in WINE 7 this would not be worth the time and effort; but we do have multiple examples of such working systems so this is worth a try if you have the drive space or an external drive on which to do so.

As a final thought, Crossover is available.

Please keep reporting with the results of any of these things you decide to try. And if I find the "formula" for installing WINE 6 via Homebrew or come up with some other potential solution for you, I'll post about it here right way.

I'm sorry that I seem to be flailing around a bit, but as I've already said, I cannot replicate the problem so it's not possible for me to test a potential solution before posting it here. Only someone with a system exhibiting the issue can run the test.

There is a 6.0.2 wine-stable here:
    https://github.com/Gcenx/macOS_Wine_...2-osx64.tar.xz

To use it, first you must uninstall WINE 7. Simply use this Homebrew command in the Terminal:
    Code:
    brew rm wine && brew rm $(join <(brew leaves) <(brew deps wine))
    After running that Homebrew command in the Terminal, be sure the Wine Stable application in your /Applications folder is deleted. Delete it manually if not.

Then move the Wine Stable application packaged in that tarball (the thing you just downloaded from GitHub) to your /Applications folder and run it by double-clicking on it.

I have not done this myself to test because my LOTRO installs are running without problems in Mojave under WINE 7. And I already know I can run LOTRO in Mojave under WINE 6.0.2, I was doing so late last year through early this year. Any test I would perform now would not generate any data which would inform whether this would resolve your issue.

A lot has happened since I last stopped by, so I reviewed Athmur's attempts and it does sound like we are having the same type of problem.

I tried a few things, in what was maybe a weird order but I went with what sounded the most promising, starting with Tralfazz's original suggestion in Message #48:

A: The two "Warnings" that I receive when running brew doctor are (1) the command line tools, and (2) a warning that I am using macOS 10.14 and that it is not supported. After running brew update and trying to open the launcher, I continued to experience the same problem of nothing happening.

B: Result: "cannot execute binary file"

C: The old launcher works just like it used to. I did not attempt to login.

I found that although I had moved UserPreferences64.ini to the trash, I hadn't emptied the trash, so I moved it back to its rightful place. I still had a UserPreferences.ini file, but I never had one called UserPreferences64.ini.bak.

ScreenMode=FullScreen

-So, it would seem I had the same result as Athmur from this attempt. Next, I tried the suggestion from Message #75, which I believe was the Linux workaround. The problem persisted after this attempt with no discernible change.

The last thing I tried was the suggestion from Message #62, deleting the old game files and trying to re-download the game. I thought I would try the PC download so that I wouldn't have to use an older version of Wine. However, when trying to launch the install file, lotrolive.exe, I have the same problem that I was having when trying to run the game launcher (Wine Stable appears on the dock, nothing happens for a while, and eventually it quits). This leads me to believe that the problem is something to do with Wine on my computer. I know there's several things mentioned here that I haven't tried yet, and I haven't tried poking around with the older versions of Wine. But I wanted to give an update of the things I tried so far.

Currently the game is deleted until I either try the Mac download, or do something with Wine that will successfully launch the installer. Tralfazz, would you suggest that I try one of your previously listed experiments, or something else entirely?

Thanks for trying to help us with this!

Quote Originally Posted by Berynwolf View Post
    A lot has happened since I last stopped by, so I reviewed Athmur's attempts and it does sound like we are having the same type of problem.

Currently the game is deleted until I either try the Mac download, or do something with Wine that will successfully launch the installer. Tralfazz, would you suggest that I try one of your previously listed experiments, or something else entirely?
    Thanks for the detailed report. It's good to have additional data.

I do suggest editing your UserPreferences.ini file so that...
    ScreenMode=FullScreenWindowed
    ...because that can work around certain technical limitations of the LOTRO client. Even if you were successfully using ScreenMode=FullScreen before the 25 May 2022 patch, it's better to use ScreenMode=FullScreenWindowed at least until your issue is resolved.

Unfortunately, I don't have anything further to add.
    –The most useful thing right now would be for one of you guys to try a new boot volume and installing everything (MacOS Mojave, WINE, LOTRO – everything) fresh as I describe in the 4th paragraph of Message #77. This has a decent chance of success since we have multiple examples of very different Mac hardware successfully running LOTRO under WINE 7 in MacOS Mojave 10.14.6. The two of you just might have something on your systems, that you either didn't know was introduced by some installer in the past or which you don't remember installing, which is preventing the game from running since the 25 May 2022 patch.
    –Another useful thing would be to uninstall WINE 7 and try WINE 5 or WINE 6. This is more of a wild swing, I am just guessing that one of the new or newly updated components (probably lotrobrowserhelp64.exe) is conflicting with something in WINE 7 but might not with WINE 5 or WINE 6.

I don't know if either of those will allow you to run the game successfully. Even failure will give us useful data to use to continue to try to track down a potential solution, and if successful – well, then you'll be done since you'll be able to play. If what works is a new boot volume you will need to decide if you want to keep multiple boot volumes or migrate your non-LOTRO apps, tools, and data to the new boot volume and then remove the old boot volume to create free space after testing that everything works on the new boot volume.

I know those two procedures, especially the new boot volume procedure, are time-consuming. But that's where we are now. We've tried everything else that I can think of. I do hope you'll try one or both of those things and then let the rest of us know what happened. I'm sorry I can't do the testing for you, I wish I could because that would be better for both of us. But since I can't reproduce the symptom I can't test to determine if a procedure leads to a resolution of the problem.

The force of the vulkan-1 WINE library over the vulkan-1 library included in the LOTRO distribution should not have had that effect. If you think the library preference change is the cause, you can revert the change.
    Oh for sure, I wasn't thinking that this change caused the problem. Sorry if I communicated that!

Thanks so much for all your work on this Tralfazz. I restarted my computer and tried launching the client again just to see what happened, and weirdly enough it actually seems to be working! Took a while for the launcher to open, but after it did everything seems to be fine. No error message, and even the lotro store is working now!

For whatever reason it seems that maybe when I get the error message I need to reboot the computer for the launcher to reset and start working again....anyway, if this stops working I'll work on some of your other suggestions, Tralfazz. I don't have much space on my hard-drive, but I'll figure something out when I have time.

I restarted my computer and tried launching the client again just to see what happened, and weirdly enough it actually seems to be working! Took a while for the launcher to open, but after it did everything seems to be fine. No error message, and even the lotro store is working now!
    Is this with the vulkan-1 library set to “built in” or did you revert that change? If this is the behavior you are seeing with the vulkan-1 library set to “built in” then I think we have a solution: Set the vulkan-1 library to “built-in” and then restart your Mac.

Athmur, assuming you have the vulkan-1 library set to “built in” please try to run the LOTRO Launcher application several times. Enter a game world each time, test that the store works, then log out and quit. Then relaunch the LOTRO Launcher application and do it again, at least three additional times. If it works each time without needing to restart the Mac between launches, I think we can call this solved.

Note that I reported a few replies back that my Mojave/WINE 7 volumes were taking an unusually long time to get the LOTRO Launcher application running, 10-15 seconds (I did not time it precisely) vs 2 seconds with my Monterey/Crossover volume (or my Mojave/WINE 7 volume before the 20220-05-25 LOTRO patch). So while it is likely that delay is related to the failure to launch issue, it is not a failure and causes no other problems, at least it hasn’t for me, so at least for now it isn’t worth trying to resolve further.

Berynwolf, if Athmur reports back that his current successful launches are with the vulkan-1 library set to “built in” and that he can perform multiple consecutive launches of the game without a problem (other than the extra few seconds between initiating the app launch and the app actually launching), then you should try this yourself.

Is this with the vulkan-1 library set to “built in” or did you revert that change? If this is the behavior you are seeing with the vulkan-1 library set to “built in” then I think we have a solution: Set the vulkan-1 library to “built-in” and then restart your Mac.

Athmur, assuming you have the vulkan-1 library set to “built in” please try to run the LOTRO Launcher application several times. Enter a game world each time, test that the store works, then log out and quit. Then relaunch the LOTRO Launcher application and do it again, at least three additional times. If it works each time without needing to restart the Mac between launches, I think we can call this solved.

Note that I reported a few replies back that my Mojave/WINE 7 volumes were taking an unusually long time to get the LOTRO Launcher application running, 10-15 seconds (I did not time it precisely) vs 2 seconds with my Monterey/Crossover volume (or my Mojave/WINE 7 volume before the 20220-05-25 LOTRO patch). So while it is likely that delay is related to the failure to launch issue, it is not a failure and causes no other problems, at least it hasn’t for me, so at least for now it isn’t worth trying to resolve further.

Berynwolf, if Athmur reports back that his current successful launches are with the vulkan-1 library set to “built in” and that he can perform multiple consecutive launches of the game without a problem (other than the extra few seconds between initiating the app launch and the app actually launching), then you should try this yourself.
    I do have the vulkan-1 library set to "built in." I was able to open and run LOTRO (including the in-game store) twice before it stopped working again...

EDIT: Tried a restart, and this time it didn't make a difference.
    Last edited by Athmur; Jun 05 2022 at 07:47 PM.

I do have the vulkan-1 library set to "built in." I was able to open and run LOTRO (including the in-game store) twice before it stopped working again...

EDIT: Tried a restart, and this time it didn't make a difference.
    That is very weird... I have a hard time wrapping my brain around inconsistent results when procedure and input remain the same. Why twice but not a third time? Why did a restart not "reset" (or whatever it did) the unknown thing that was "reset" by performing a restart earlier?

This means we don't have a solution. But we might be on the right track. I'll investigate any other libraries included with the LOTRO installation that are new or changed since the 2022-05-25 patch. There might be others which are involved and if so, forcing WINE to use its own built-in libraries might help. I also want to see if there is a universal setting in winecfg that will allow us to force all built-in libraries to be used if present so that we don't have to hunt them down one-by-one.

In the meanwhile, if you guys have time and the resources, please consider attempting one or both of the things I suggested in Message #80.

That is very weird... I have a hard time wrapping my brain around inconsistent results when procedure and input remain the same. Why twice but not a third time? Why did a restart not "reset" (or whatever it did) the unknown thing that was "reset" by performing a restart earlier?
    ...just to make things weirder, it worked sporadically again this morning... It opened the first time I tried, then it failed, then it opened again 3 times in a row. I only launched the game itself a couple of those times, but it went off without a hitch both times.

It's weird. It's like whenever I try to open the launcher I initiate this delicate procedure that sometimes succeeds and sometimes fails. My computer always freezes right when I click on the launcher, (usually after opening Wine Stable in my dock, but sometimes that icon doesn't appear before the freeze) then after 30+ seconds my computer unfreezes. Usually Wine Stable is still open at that point (i.e., the icon is in the dock and the wine stable menu bar is active), but when I click on something else wine stable disappears. Then there is another long pause (though the computer isn't frozen this time) and I generally move on thinking it has failed at this point. Sometimes it has, but sometimes after another 15-30 seconds the launcher spontaneously opens. It kinda seems to be a matter of try, try again at this point, and eventually it'll work. Could it be connected with hardware or network limitations somehow?

So for me at least, it seems like we have a working solution. I'll still see if I can try the suggestions in Message #80 sometime, but it might be a while before I have the time (and I may not be able to do a boot drive at all...we'll see).

Could it be connected with hardware or network limitations somehow?
    Extremely unlikely.

Nothing in WINE requires a network connection or initiates one on its own and the LOTRO launcher application doesn't begin pinging for the SSG servers until after it's running (obviously) and its window appears.

Your hardware is not at issue. There can be incompatibilities with certain DirectX versions and certain video cards in certain Macs (or integrated into certain CPUs) but those only cause issues with the client application, not the launcher application. As long as you have a Metal-capable graphics subsystem (some 2010 Macs, most 2011 Macs, and all 2012 or later Macs except the Mac Pro with stock GPU) there should be no issues at all with the LOTRO launcher application; even without Metal, I don't think it would matter but I have no way of testing that.

If this only began happening subsequent to the 2022-05-25 patch (and even if you only performed your WINE 7 or LOTRO install after that date, others did so before and only began reporting this issue after that patch) it is most likely something related to files that are new or changed from that patch and/or interaction of those new/changed files with specific components of WINE. We've pretty much ruled out everything else (settings in the .ini files, etc.). There could be some weird thing on your boot volume, a file which gets called or a process that's running, which is getting in the way but only the clean boot volume/clean install process will answer that question. If it's something in WINE 7 (not directly WINE's fault but some component of WINE which the LOTRO coders didn't account for in the build released on 2022-05-25) then only the WINE 6 or WINE 5 test will answer that question – this is quite possible since the 32-bit client will run after the 2022-05-25 patch, admittedly with its usual nags and errors, in WINE 4.

Hopefully someone else experiencing this issue will try the clean boot volume/clean install test and/or the WINE 6/5 test because the results of those tests might answer a lot of questions.

No success from me yet, but here is what I have tried:

I decided to first try the Wine 5 test on a different user account. My game was still uninstalled/deleted from when I was attempting to delete and reinstall LOTRO. I still had the Lord of the Rings Online folder from my Documents which I copied into the shared folder, along with lotrolive.exe. Logged into the new user account, I followed the link Tralfazz provided to install Wine 5, which then prompted me to install XQuartz, which I also did. When installing Wine 5, I was given the option to check a box to enable 64 bit, which I did. After installing, I was able to run lotrolive.exe on the second try. The launcher appeared, I got the game download process going (and selected to download the high-res files), then turned off power saver and left it alone to finish downloading.

When I returned, that familiar Program Error had appeared: “The program LotroLauncher.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. This can be caused by a problem in the program or a deficiency in Wine. You may want to check the Application Database for tips about running this application.”

The launcher had not closed but had frozen downloads at: “Downloading client_highres_aux_2.datx - 8.0 of 1758.0 megabyte"

I quit X11 to close everything, logged out, then decided to try the Mac download of LOTRO on my primary user account (which is still presumably running Wine 7). During this attempt, I received an alert: “The Wine configuration in /Users/~/Library/Application Support/com.standingstonegames.lotro/common/wineprefix is being updated, please wait…”

Again, the launcher appeared, I selected the option to download high res files, downloads ran for a while, then I received that same program error and the downloads froze, this time during binkw32.dll.

So, I have yet to successfully reinstall LOTRO on either account. Years back when I upgraded to Catalina without knowing it would mess up LOTRO, I deleted and rebuilt my hard drive in order to downgrade to Mojave, which I believe deleted the spare boot volume entirely. So I'm not sure that it would be possible for me to do that again. I'm running very low on disk space, too. However, I have not yet tried removing Wine Stable entirely from the system and starting over from scratch. I will keep the extra user account alive for now in case there's something else I can try with that.

I may be doing something wrong in the LOTRO download/install process as well. Let me know if there's anything obvious I should have done instead!

No success from me yet, but here is what I have tried:
    Great report! Very helpful.

Although this wasn't a well-controlled test (by "controlled" I mean reduction of unknown variables), if WINE 5 and WINE 7 are producing the same symptoms during an attempted installation or attempted run of the LOTRO Launcher application, there is little point in trying WINE 6.

I don't think you did anything incorrectly.

We need a clean-volume/clean-install test to make progress. There is probably something different about your boot volume (and Athmur's) and multiple boot volumes of mine since I am not experiencing installation or launch or run issues other than that longer pause between invoking the LOTRO Launcher application and it's window appearing. We are using the same version of MacOS, the same Homebrew, the same WINE 7, and the same LOTRO. The hardware differences are not the problem, I have it working on multiple very different Macs. But there's obviously something that's different.

I am continuing to research other libraries which we might be able to force to WINE defaults but since there might be a patch tomorrow I have suspended that work until I know whether a patch is incoming or not. If there is, any work I do between now and then will be worthless.

Maybe there is going to be a LOTRO patch this week or some time soon. Not that I think this specific issue will be purposely addressed by SSG in a patch but they did just add a bunch of libraries and changed a few others so it is possible they will continue to make additional such changes, or changes in the launcher or client app code, that will have some positive effect on your ability to install and run the game.

Quote Originally Posted by DanteIL View Post
    Thanks for the reply and for some suggestions for things to try. When I get the chance, I am going to try option #2 and see if that works. I have no problem with switching user accounts, so if that works I'm happy. Not sure when I'll get the chance, but I'll report how it goes. You shouldn't need to spend any of your own time on this!
    Hi there.. I'm back with a (bad) report...

As promised, I went with option #2, which involved creating a new user account on my Mac and going through the homebrew installation process again. However, I got tripped up at exactly the same point -- it threw up the same error messages saying that there were conflicts with already-installed components. So that's no good.

So... I decided to go with another of your suggestions, which involved downloading WINE directly from here. I first installed XQuartz 2.7.7 as indicated, then I downloaded the .pkg file for Wine Stable 5.0 (yes, not 6.0 or 7.0 which aren't available, but 5.0 still seems to provide 64bit support).

Installing this package put Wine Stable in my applications folder. As directed, I moved the LotroLauncher.exe file to my dock, and changed the .ini file to "GameClientType=3". I also used Security & Privacy to give Accessibility to Wine Stable.

Clicking on the LotroLauncher.exe file in my dock does launch Wine Stable. The WineStable icon bounces and then I get a pop up that says "Verifying "Wine Stable".... " followed by a second popup that says (despite my change to Security & Privacy) " "Wine Stable" is an app downloaded from the Internet. As you sure you want to open it?" If I click "Open"..... it looks for a moment like Wine Stable is opening (the 'application active' dot appears underneath) but then nothing happens and eventually even that dot goes away. Nada.

If I change the .ini file to "GameClientType=1" the same thing happens. (although with that .ini file I can still get the Lotro Launcher to come up and let me log in if I use the "Mac Download" version of the application -- which is a fresh install on this new user account, by the way).

All in all.. no luck. I've read through your help to others on this thread, but nothing else pops out as other things to try for me.

will that work on a 64 bit Mac OS? I'm on the road with an old macbook so I can't recall what OS it's running- Some version of 11.

Quote Originally Posted by DanteIL View Post
    Hi there.. I'm back with a (bad) report...
    A very good report! Just full of bad news.

I don't have a fix procedure available, we're out of steam for now. I am trying to determine if we might be able to use winecfg to force all available built-in libraries. I have not completed that research yet and might not for a few days or longer.

It would be very helpful if someone experiencing this issue were to perform a clean install test. I can't do this myself because I am not experiencing the problem which you and Berynwold and Athmur are reporting – not on any of 4 different Macs on which I've done this in the last two weeks or so. (I only have 2 of them on hand for additional testing, the other 2 are being happily used by their owners to play LOTRO.)

edit:
    Dante, if you're willing, please:
    –create a new APFS volume (or use a freshly-formatted, virgin external drive)
    –install Mojave onto it
    –fully update Mojave
    –then install Homebrew
    –use Homebrew to install WINE 7
    –then install LOTRO
    Last edited by Tralfazz; Jun 07 2022 at 09:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aamu View Post
    will that work on a 64 bit Mac OS? I'm on the road with an old macbook so I can't recall what OS it's running- Some version of 11.
    MacOS has been 64-bit ready since 2005. I don't know what "Some version of 11" means.

You can use the procedure in the first message of this thread if you are running MacOS 10.14 Mojave or earlier. It has only been tested by me in Mojave, I can't guarantee that it will work with 10.13 High Sierra or any other pre-Mojave version of MacOS but it ought to work on any version of MacOS down to 10.11 El Capitan.

We have had four people report issues resulting in a failure to successfully run the game, and the majority of the messages in this thread is one or more of those four people and me trying to track down what is causing their problem and to fix it. So it is possible to run into a problem. However, I have successfully used this procedure on quite a number of Mojave-running Macs and have never run into an issue resulting in a failure to launch the game. So if you have an Intel Mac, can get Mojave onto it (or at least are running El Capitan through High Sierra), and want to get yourself playing with the 64-bit LOTRO client; the procedure in the first message of this thread is worth a try.

Beta?

So here's a thought for Berynwolf, Athmur, and DanteIL: Try the beta or alpha version of WINE 7.

The wine-stable install through Homebrew is currently WINE 7.0.

The wine-devel install through Homebrew is basically the "beta" of whatever is being considered for the next "point" update of WINE 7.

The wine-staging install through Homebrew is basically the "alpha" of whatever is being considered for the next release of wine-devel or the next full version of WINE.

The Windows version of LOTRO (which is what you get whether you install from the "PC Download" or the "Mac Download") is running without issue in Crossover. In Crossover, I'm not experiencing the extra 10-15 second delay between invoking the LOTRO Launcher application and the appearance of its window – it is likely that this delay which I am seeing in my Mojave/WINE 7 installs is being caused by the same issue which is preventing the game from launching on your Mojave/WINE 7 installs (with of course some other variable involved on your ends which we have not been able to identify).

Much of what is present in wine-devel and wine-staging comes from the Codeweavers Crossover team. So it is possible that whatever is allowing LOTRO to run with zero issues in Crossover is present in either wine-staging or both wine-staging and wine-devel.

GET TO THE POINT, TRAL: So you might want to use Homebrew to issue this command:
    Code:
    brew install wine-devel
    Basically, follow the instructions in the first message of this thread and just replace wine-stable with wine-devel. Then try to get your installation of LOTRO to run. If it doesn't work, go back to the Terminal and issue this command:
    Code:
    brew install wine-staging
    Again, follow the instructions in the first message of this thread and just replace wine-stable with wine-staging.

The wine-devel release is basically a beta and the wine-staging release is basically an alpha. I normally wouldn't touch that stuff and I have never before suggested that any LOTRO player use a beta anything, let alone an alpha. However, if your game isn't working, this can't break anything worse than it already is. So until and unless we come up with something else or SSG patches LOTRO in a way that magically fixes things for you (don't hold your breath for the latter), this might be worth a try.
    Last edited by Tralfazz; Jun 09 2022 at 08:39 PM. Reason: corrected the brew commands

So you might want to use Homebrew to issue this command:
    Code:
    brew wine-devel
    Basically, follow the instructions in the first message of this thread and just replace wine-stable with wine-devel. Then try to get your installation of LOTRO to run. If it doesn't work, go back to the Terminal and issue this command:
    Code:
    brew wine-staging
    Again, follow the instructions in the first message of this thread and just replace wine-stable with wine-staging.

The wine-devel release is basically a beta and the wine-staging release is basically an alpha. I normally wouldn't touch that stuff and I have never before suggested that any LOTRO player use a beta anything, let alone an alpha. However, if your game isn't working, this can't break anything worse than it already is. So until and unless we come up with something else or SSG patches LOTRO in a way that magically fixes things for you (don't hold your breath for the latter), this might be worth a try.
    I just gave this a try, using the directions in the first post here. When I got to step D, I tried running both "brew wine-devel" and "brew install wine-devel", which received errors that said there is no available formula with the name "wine-devel." It did find the "similarly named" formula "winexe" and says that I could run "brew install winexe."

...Dare I?

...Dare I?
    No. The winexe package isn’t a version of WINE. It’s designed for sending remote commands to a box running an actual Windows OS. It’s a tool for system administrators. Installing it on your Mac won’t break anything but it won’t have any value to you, either.

Also, sorry. The commands should be “brew install x” not “brew x”. I’ll edit that message with the correction.

Dang it. It can be very hard to get Homebrew formula names or URLs for anything but the latest release versions of packages. I’ll see if I can locate the correct Homebrew formula name or URL for wine-devel and wine-staging.

Minutes later: Just checked, those should be correct.

Try this command instead:
    Code:
    brew install --cask wine-devel
    I know that looks simple but to be sure that you use the correct symbols before the word cask, I recommend that you copy-paste instead of typing it in yourself.

A cask is almost the same as a formula, functionally. A bit different to access via the command line tool but the resulting install should be the same.

edit: Current wine-devel is 7.9 vs 7.0 for wine-stable. The wine-staging package is also 7.9 so no need to try that one. Don’t know why brew install wine-devel returned the equivalent of a “file not found” error but using the cask instead of the formula should work around the problem.
    Last edited by Tralfazz; Jun 09 2022 at 08:52 PM.

Try this command instead:
    Code:
    brew install --cask wine-devel
    I know that looks simple but to be sure that you use the correct symbols before the word cask, I recommend that you copy-paste instead of typing it in yourself.

A cask is almost the same as a formula, functionally. A bit different to access via the command line tool but the resulting install should be the same.

edit: Current wine-devel is 7.9 vs 7.0 for wine-stable. The wine-staging package is also 7.9 so no need to try that one. Don’t know why brew install wine-devel returned the equivalent of a “file not found” error but using the cask instead of the formula should work around the problem.
    Ok, this time I ran "brew install --cask wine-devel" and this is what I received:

Running `brew update --auto-update`...
    ==> Auto-updated Homebrew!
    Updated 2 taps (homebrew/core and homebrew/cask).

Error: Cask 'wine-devel' is unavailable: No Cask with this name exists.

Ok, this time I ran "brew install --cask wine-devel" and this is what I received:
    The wine-devel cask definitely exists – or at least it is listed in the catalogue as exisiting with that specific name. The command is correct.

Although I'm not sure why it didn't work, since you got some Homebrew auto-updates after trying to run the command you might try logging out of your Mac user account, logging back in, and trying to run the command again.

I can't check this myself right now, doing so will require a fresh Mojave install on a clean volume, not complicated but it will require more time than I can devote to that right now. I'll do so when I have a sufficiently-large block of time to get it done.

In an interesting turn of events, after the last post I made I decided to try running the game installer again just for kicks, and lo and behold it worked. This is the first time I've been able to successfully install the game since I tried to delete the game and re-install it. I did not receive any error messages in the launcher apart from a User Preference File Update which informed me about the UserPreferences64.ini.bak file. Once I logged in, the game ran fine like normal...with the exception of the LOTRO store launcher which only brought up a blank or black box when clicked on. When I quit the game, I re-opened the launcher to see if it would work again, which it did. This time, it gave me the message about the missing DLL files. But the game launched a second time, I could still get into the world and everything.

I haven't touched anything since that last command which triggered the 2 auto-updates for Homebrew. I'm going to leave it for right now and see if it continues to work later. Not sure if this provides any information about where the problem is coming from, but it's nice to see the game run for a bit at least!

So here's something to try for Berynwolf, Athmur, and DanteIL. Please note that if you are someone else and are not experiencing an issue with the latest wine-stable and LOTRO in terms of installing or launching the game or using the in-game store interface, you do not need to nor should you do this.

A- Here's what you need to do in order for your installion of Homebrew to "learn" about wine-devel and other available versions:
    1- Launch the Terminal.
    2- Enter this command:
    Code:
    brew tap homebrew/cask-versions
    B- Here's what you need to do before attempting to install wine-devel:
    1- Launch the Terminal.
    2- Enter this command:
    Code:
    brew uninstall wine-stable
    C- Here's what you need to do to install wine-devel:
    1- Launch the Terminal.
    2- Enter this command:
    Code:
    brew install wine-devel
    3- Please note that when you attempt to launch the game after doing this, your Mac will treat the Wine Devel application as a brand new application and will make you jump through some security hoops to allow it to run.

The A procedure is what I left out last time. I'm sorry, I had of course run that for myself in the past but long enough ago that I just didn't think about it when providing instructions earlier. When I performed a clean install and various tests earlier today, I was "reminded" that the A procedure was necessary.

So if you do A, B, and C you should be able to get wine-devel on your Mac. Please note that I still can't replicate your issue. I did install wine-devel and I did run LOTRO with it, and for me on my fresh Mojave boot volume with freshly-installed wine-devel and freshly-installed LOTRO, LOTRO ran exactly as it did in wine-stable. So I don't know if this is going to resolve your problem. It takes very little time to do, and the worst case scenario will be that there is no change, so I think it's worth trying.

If after installing wine-devel you still experience your issue, you can also try the following.

D- Configure WINE for Windows 10:
    1- Launch the Terminal.
    2- Enter this command:
    Code:
    wine64 winecfg
    3- In the WINE CONFIGURATION window that appears, click on the APPLICATIONS tab.
    4- In the APPLICATION SETTINGS list, click on DEFAULT SETTINGS.
    5- Near the bottom of the window where it says WINDOWS VERSION, use the drop-down menu on the right to choose WINDOWS 10.
    6- Click the APPLY button then click the OK button to close the window and quit the application.

E- Configure some libraries to use the WINE defaults instead of those provided by LOTRO:
    1- Launch the Terminal.
    2- Enter this command:
    Code:
    wine64 winecfg
    3- In the WINE CONFIGURATION window that appears, click on the LIBRARIES tab.
    4- Please refer to the image below to add those four libraries to the EXISTING OVERRIDES list and then edit them so that all four are set to BUILTIN, NATIVE. The four libraries are:
    d3dcompiler_43
    msvcr71
    openal32
    vulkan-1
    5- Click the APPLY button then click the OK button to close the window and quit the application.

I will note that changing the version of Windows in D had no effect on my ability to run the game, and making the library setting changes in E also had no effect. Remember, though, that I cannot replicate your issue, I am able to run the game in Mojave under both the current wine-stable and wine-devel with no significant issues (only thing I've noted is that it takes about 15 seconds for the LOTRO launcher application window to appear whereas it always used to take about 2 seconds before the LOTRO u33.0.5 patch on 2022-05-25). Therefore, if after performing A, B, and C you still cannot run the game, try D. If you still cannot run the game, try E. Worst case scenario is that there will be no change, and remember that you can always revert a change if it unexpectedly makes your game even harder to launch or run worse once launched.

And finally, if all of the above does not resolve your issue, I suggest performing a full clean-volume/clean-install test. There is no good reason that the three of you should be getting different results if running the same version of MacOS, the same version of Homebrew, the same version of WINE, and the same version of LOTRO as I am – and I'm doing it on multiple Macs of very different vintages and capabilities. So it's possible there is something in your boot volumes or settings or something that is preventing the game from launching for you. And we won't know that until one of you makes the attempt.

Hi there... just adding a bit of an update here...

after being entirely unsuccessful getting homebrew/WINE to install properly, I threw in the towel and decided to upgrade my (old) Mac to Monterey, downloaded Crossover, and used Crossover to install LOTRO (and DDO, which I also play). I had to fiddle a bit with the resolution and such to get things to work (and can only use DX9 rather than DX11), but both LOTRO and DDO seem to be working remarkably well, all things considered (even during the Midsummer fest in Minas Tirith, which was always death to my machine before). I hate having to pay for 3rd party software (which is not even a one-time cost!!), but at least it allows me to keep the games going -- at least until SSG changes something again to make it even less Mac-Friendly.

Tralfazz, thanks again for all your attempts at helping me and many others with these issues...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast