We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
    Sammo is offline Secret Squirrel
    Long-Time Lurker

What should hunter stats be?

What are the current targets for Physical Mastery, Critical Rating, Finesse, and Morale at level 140? I play red hunter, mostly solo PVE but want to try some 3-man instances.

Right now I am at the following:

Morale: 491,513
    Critical Rating: 736,643 (ranged 22.1%)
    Physical Mastery: 1,040,807 (156.6%)
    Finesse: 459,156 (23.3%)

Agility: 157,940
    Vitality: 101,488

My level 140 gear has a total of 5 essences slots and all are slotted with physical mastery essences. My primary virtues are maxed.

Without different gear I can't change much, but what should I be looking for?
    Saelemyr, Burglar, Arkenstone
    Aharon, Warden, Arkenstone
    Arcaenna, Rune Keeper, Arkenstone
    Ashryl, Hunter, Arkenstone

Your stats look slightly better than mine and I am having no issues doing stuff with my hunter. I have not tried 3-mans other than random PUG groups in reclaiming Gundabad public instances (forges and lofts). Even as a duo with another hunter, the mini-bosses in those are a piece of cake.

I cannot speak for other instances.

The stat caps you want to pay attention to are the following:

Physical Mastery: 1684000
    Critical Rating: 1247000

Looking at your stats, you might be missing a few things. Here's some things you may or may not have already done, but just mentioning just help out:

1) Make sure you reforge your LIs so that their Item Levels are 470 and the enhancement limits for your Tracery sockets match that as the max.
    2) Do the dailies in Steepset to get Yellow and Purple enhancement runes and apply them to your LIs. Remember, Yellow first to Enhancement Level 460 then use Purple the rest of the way.
    3) Apply those enhancement runes to your Heraldric Runes FIRST (should both be Heraldry of the Sparrow). That vitality bonus on there is really important.
    4) Apply enhancement runes to Traceries that give you physical mastery and critical rating as their secondary stats. Ignore the ones with Finesse/Evade as secondary if you have them until you've done all the others.
    5) There are some high vitality DPS slotted pieces you can get: Pants and Bracelets from Gundabad Landscape Quartermaster, Shoulders from Mission Barterer, Pocket from Geode Barterer.
    6) Do your weekly Mission wrappers (15/45), Weekly Instance Wrapper (6 instances), Weekly Resource quests (20 quests) for Embers. Use the embers from those to barter for 2 slotted Crit/Finesse rings first. They are a big upgrade. (can get armor pieces later)
    7) Doing Dhurstrock and Pughlak in Duo mode gets you a higher chance at Yellow Gear from the chests. Jewellery and Armor upgrades are to be had. I am not sure if you can get the yellow gear from doing the Solo 6 man but you might get a chance. I have seen Yellow gear in Solo 3 mans but it was very rare.
    Last edited by ChromiteSwiftpaw; Jan 03 2022 at 03:05 PM.

Where is the Gundabad Landscape Quartermaster located?
    Playing since 9/11/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Ulrek View Post
    Where is the Gundabad Landscape Quartermaster located?
    Steepset, Maergrind, etc..

Long-Time Lurker
    Thanks for the list of info. Lot's of good stuff there.

I haven't started Gundabad missions yet, but I have done the dailies a few times, need to do more once I finish landscape questing.

I chose the Heraldric Runes of the Serpent for the higher Agility which impacts both Physical Mastery and Crit. Why is the higher Vitality on the Sparrow rune that much more important? How much higher should my morale be?

I need to reforge again to get to 470, still at 465. I have a few traceries at 465, but most are still 440.

Is it better to keep my level 121 Teal Traceries, or upgrade to the purple level 131's?

Long-Time Lurker
    Went and looked at the items on the Quartermaster and the Geode Hunter. Neither of those items have any Agility on them. I don't see how giving up thousands of Agility for thousands of Vitality is a good trade-off. IMO the impact on Physical Mastery and Critical Rating will not get me any closer to the numbers you suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammo View Post
    Went and looked at the items on the Quartermaster and the Geode Hunter. Neither of those items have any Agility on them. I don't see how giving up thousands of Agility for thousands of Vitality is a good trade-off. IMO the impact on Physical Mastery and Critical Rating will not get me any closer to the numbers you suggested.
    Let's push the fact that even hunters need a good amount of vitality and tactical mitigation in order to survive certain encounters away for a moment. Let's do some fun calculations. Agility for Hunter gives 3 Physical Mastery and 1 Critical Rating. Your typical Gundabad item has around 6,000 to 9,000 agility. The quest pocket you get early in Gundabad gives you 7,291 agility and 4,240 vitality with no physical mastery or critical rating. This means that it provides you a total of 21,873 Physical Mastery and 7,291 Critical Rating. The Geode Fragment of Quickness provides you with 7,561 vitality, 26,547 critical rating, and 19,147 physical mastery.

The two pocket items you get from the Gundabad quest chains and the one you get from the Ember box also do not provide you with any physical mastery or critical rating. The one from the Ember box provides you with a total of 11,571 Agility. Scholars don't get any recipes to craft pocket items either. This is why we suggest ones to get the one from the geode hunter.

So, I just made an example build in LOTRO Companion. This is not my normal gear, just doing this as an example.

1) The gear is all Landscape/Allegiance/Missions barter gear and only 2 pieces of Adventurer's Coffer gear (requires 3500 Embers for each coffer).
    2) All the essences in the gear are the Purple Crafted ones/the purple ones you get as quest rewards.
    3) All of my virtues are maxed. Not just the ones that are equipped. My stat tomes are all maxed as well.

This will allow you to see the stats you get from the gear.

Here's the essences and their contribs:

Here's Tooltips of the gear I used to make the build:

I'm actually pretty impressed with what SSG's itemization has been with the quest rewards and bartering. For once we have pretty much two separate sets of dps gear and tanking gear. The barter gear is actually not horrible, either.

To upgrade gear on your own you can run Den of Pughlak and Assault on Dhurstrok Solo but in Duo mode (unless you can get a person to come help you). It's not too difficult soloing the duo mode and you're pretty much guaranteed armor/jewelery in duo mode.

These are the LIs I have equipped at the moment. All of the traceries are golden/legendary so there is a slight stat bump with their secondary stats. All tracery slots are maxed at Enhancement Level 470. This is my AoE Sword. I have a Single Target Sword as well but for the sake of simplicity I am only posting this one.

Anyhow, I just wanted to give you an example of a setup and try to (hopefully) get people away from the mindset of "I must have Main Stat and Main stat only!!" in their gear. It hasn't been that way since Essences have arrived so try to break those old habits. You want to equip the essences and gear that give you the best things for your role as a hunter: DPS. Secondary to that you need some survivability. That is where the Vitality stuff comes in We no longer get Vitality essences for Tier 14. You can use the old Tier 13 ones but that will be situational.
    Last edited by ChromiteSwiftpaw; Jan 04 2022 at 01:03 AM.

Thanks for the list of info. Lot's of good stuff there.

I haven't started Gundabad missions yet, but I have done the dailies a few times, need to do more once I finish landscape questing.

I chose the Heraldric Runes of the Serpent for the higher Agility which impacts both Physical Mastery and Crit. Why is the higher Vitality on the Sparrow rune that much more important? How much higher should my morale be?

I need to reforge again to get to 470, still at 465. I have a few traceries at 465, but most are still 440.

Is it better to keep my level 121 Teal Traceries, or upgrade to the purple level 131's?
    Do you know HOW much main stats (Might/Agil/Will) actually affect mastery and crit? I've seen hunters who are so insistent they have to raise agility because "it's their most important stat" they even use agility essences. A quick check on wiki or some head math while looking at the character panel + some logic applied brings the conclusion Jedi talks about.

Physical mastery essences @T6 were 21k physical mastery. Agility 2.3k (6.9k physical mastery 2.3k crit). The disparity in stat progression between the two choices need no emphasis. It's the same for items and traceries. Do not consider the amount of agility you have or what items have when it comes to choices. I see a few hunters with agility essences. Champs using might essences are also a more common occurrence than it should be. It's like they never thought about it or asked about it, or no-one (eg a kinnie) inspected them and fixed their error. Or someone did but they're set in their ways based on what the character/loading screen told them.

Anyway, when it comes to Sparrow vs Serpent, which does have a physical mastery difference a lot of players would argue that the extra vitality has a larger weight than the additional physical mastery. Checking my tooltips at 465, it's 4k vitality (2 slade wrought essences make 3.6k) vs 19k (including the agility) mastery - not even 1 Slade-wrought. I'm forced to use T6 numbers because there are no delver's equivalents of vitality. You can also cap physical mastery (and crit), can't cap vitality, there are no vitality essences for Gundabad, yada yada.

As for your question about 131 essences, no. You'll reduce your upshot by 3.5%, your swift-bow by 3.5%, your quick shot by 3.5%, I'll not list all of them. Another thing some players aren't grasping is that the only reason purples have higher stats in the archives is that the enhancement levels START higher. A lvl 121 heart-seeker levelled to 450 will still have 27760 crit, can be further levelled to 470, and will be able to match levels until lvl 141-150 content is released. SSG does not intend for traceries needing to replaced every expansion but at least every 2 expansions. So gold/teal Minas Morgul have to match Gundabad. And Gundabad will match Rhun or Harad (wherever we go next). Lots of people said SS farms @ 121 were a waste of time, now they are walking around with purple 131 traceries until they can farm school at 140 or SS T2 140. Meanwhile the 121 SS farmers are sitting at mostly/full gold already because they had done their research and can skip the on-level T2 farm we've got now.
    Last edited by TobiasEstForte; Jan 04 2022 at 02:46 AM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/222190000001ddbef/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Long-Time Lurker
    Thanks for all of the input, explanations, and examples. I've learned a lot, the reason for posting the questions.

So I will look closer at the available equipment, sounds like I keep leveling my level 121 teal traceries, and continue to level all my virtues (most are around level 70).

Where do I find the Adventurer's Coffers for gear?

Thanks for all of the input, explanations, and examples. I've learned a lot, the reason for posting the questions.

So I will look closer at the available equipment, sounds like I keep leveling my level 121 teal traceries, and continue to level all my virtues (most are around level 70).

Where do I find the Adventurer's Coffers for gear?
    Estolad Lan and Annak-khurfu War Room are two easy places to find the Adventurer's Quartermasters.

Long-Time Lurker
    Thanks again for all the advice. I've reworked my traceries and obtained some instance, geode, reputation, and embers gear. My stats are now:

Morale: 548,765
    Critical Rating: 1,035,075 (ranged 27%)
    Physical Mastery: 1,432,828 (ranged 199.1%)
    Finesse: 550,466 (27.1%)

I have not yet maxed all my traceries, though I have maxed all the ones that give physical mastery. All others are at least 450. I've maxed my main virtues and any others that give physical mastery or critical rating, working on the rest.

Anyone have a sense of decent single target DPS #s on something like Loknashra or Vethug in HoR T3?

DPS numbers on these encounters will vary a lot with classes and specializations that are present in the group.

I did get to play HoR T3 a few times on my hunter today, and numbers that I remember on Vethug where 620k (with a "wrong" LI that had AoE words of power instead of DoTs) and 700k (with some crit luck on Heart Seekers). Obviously lower on Loknashra (about 500-550k if I recall correctly) because you need morale and mitigations.

While that was pretty much with glass cannon gear, my gear is not exactly finished although it is decent :

No doubt it could be better, notably because Strength Stance is almost on par with Precision but is slightly less efficient. I'm just stubborn, I like to snare enemies and I am almost certain than the difference between average dps numbers in both stances is lower than the standard deviation for a 3 to 5 minutes fight. If you actually want to max out your DPS go with Precision Stance, you'll even get to put another couple of class points in Barbed Fury.
    Gabrediel, Original Challenger of Sarouman | Gabramir, Original Challenger of Gothmog

Unquale - Sirannon [FR]

I'm on a break but...
    ...didn't we have a complete rework of the numbers in this game just the other year? To make the numbers less absurd? Now I see all the numbers are still in the hundreds of thousand and millions, just after the grand rework to adjust numbers across the game. A rework that ate so much dev time.

Do the almost well-geared deal a little less damage, even though the numbers say 400 000 less crit? Does that translate to 5% less damage or 50% less?

Ten years ago, the increase from SA 75 bow to FA 75 bow was around 4 points extra base damage. 3,5 I think. If your character was not optimally geared, you missed out on a few points. This translated to a significant but playable 4-5% lower damage on a crit. Then we had this grand inflation making all the numbers go wild, sometime 2016? Instead of 5% less damage, under-geared dealt 50% less damage and had half the survivability.

Haven't played in ages and I'm honestly thinking about giving in to my addiction of all things LOTR.
    How long does it take to grind these numbers for new gear if gold is not an issue?

Nice to see that you are still playing, Gabli
    Fellowship Hadacar: I now have a mental image of a little pea with a NE Patriot's logo painted on it.
    Professional AFKer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabli View Post
    DPS numbers on these encounters will vary a lot with classes and specializations that are present in the group.

I did get to play HoR T3 a few times on my hunter today, and numbers that I remember on Vethug where 620k (with a "wrong" LI that had AoE words of power instead of DoTs) and 700k (with some crit luck on Heart Seekers). Obviously lower on Loknashra (about 500-550k if I recall correctly) because you need morale and mitigations.

While that was pretty much with glass cannon gear, my gear is not exactly finished although it is decent :

No doubt it could be better, notably because Strength Stance is almost on par with Precision but is slightly less efficient. I'm just stubborn, I like to snare enemies and I am almost certain than the difference between average dps numbers in both stances is lower than the standard deviation for a 3 to 5 minutes fight. If you actually want to max out your DPS go with Precision Stance, you'll even get to put another couple of class points in Barbed Fury.
    What is that UI mod that shows all the dmg and such that you have here?

Quote Originally Posted by JLPicard View Post
    What is that UI mod that shows all the dmg and such that you have here?
    The plugin you are seeing is called Combat Analysis
    https://www.lotrointerface.com/downl...tAnalysis.html

Quote Originally Posted by Gabli View Post

Keep in mind that is pretty much the ideal situation to boost hunter dps. Blade-brother and red captain buffs (pressing attack, to arms, blade-brother's call, oathbreakers, captain herald mitigation debuff, red mark, banner), burg reveal weakness and enrages, loremaster raven for reducing fire mitigations, warden marked target, this makes the boss' mitigations pretty much zero, gives you more critical hit chance, and you get a lot of incoming damage debuffs as well. The minstrel has probably used anthems to improve the dps even more. If you don't have this group comp, your dps will be way less no matter how hard you try, could even be half or less, depending on the group composition.