We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Solve This Riddle to Win 100 Gold! =D

Friends!

Purely for fun, I thought I'd host a little riddle contest!

The first Gladdenite to post the correct answer to this riddle on this forum (or sent to me via in-game mail, for those unable to post on the forum) will be sent 100 gold from me (or the equivalent in food, if you prefer )! If no one gets the right answer to this riddle within a week or so, I will post the answer here. And if someone who is not a Gladdenite is first to post the correct answer, then we shall all look upon them with scorn and dismay, cursing their existence and that of their vile non-Gladden server...(though feel free to send me a private message with your guess, if you want!)!

Be sure to include your in-game name when you post guesses...otherwise, I won't know where to send your gold!

By the way, if folks think this is fun, perhaps we can have others create their own riddles and maybe even contribute to bigger prizes in future!

Mystery of Bree
    Smoking breathlessly
    With a vessel am I crowned
    Blind seers seated, round
    Quivering, yet un-bowed
    Presenting a choice in the road
    Yet failing it seems am I
    As the four with me do spy
    What am I?

Feel free to discuss the riddle and possible answers in this thread...and have fun!

Yours,

Khodo

Having received lots of IMs and mails in the first few hours since posting this, here are some common guesses that are not correct:
    • a particular milestone (or milestones in general)
    • a particular torch (or torches in general)
    • a particular fireplace (or fireplaces in general)
    • a particular oven (or ovens in general)
    • a particular chimney (or chimneys in general)
    • the Bree Boar Fountain
    • the Shade (or Ghost) of Bree

I will offer an additional hint - the answer is something that exists within LOTRO, not the books, movies, etc.

There's no limit to the number of times you can guess!

Good luck!
    Last edited by Khodo; Jan 11 2022 at 10:18 PM.

Clue #1

As the riddle remains unsolved, I will begin offering clues every day or two by interpreting a line or portion of the riddle. These clues will initially be subtle, becoming more explicit over time if needed.

Mystery of Bree

This line indicates that the answer to this riddle is something that can be seen within Bree. There is a mystery about this something, though it is subtle and may only be obvious to those who are exceptionally perceptive. The casual observer may see no mystery at all. The mystery is not the result of this riddle - rather, it is an attribute of that something that it has had since long before this riddle was conceived. The nature of the mystery is addressed elsewhere within this riddle.

Good luck!

Yours,

Khodo

Clue #2

As the Mystery of Bree riddle remains unsolved, here is the next clue....

The answer to this riddle is something that has an in-game purpose and it is readily apparent that it is failing at that in-game purpose.

Good luck!

Yours,

Khodo

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Khodo View Post

The answer to this riddle is something that has an in-game purpose and it is readily apparent that it is failing at that in-game purpose.

Good luck!

Yours,

Khodo
    Dwarf playing with tooples near the scholar's stairs.

Good luck!

Yours,

Khodo
    is the SOMETHING in Bree town proper, or in Bree land?

It has been cool to watch this thread unfold, good luck everyone!
    Community Manager, Lord of the Rings Online
    Follow LOTRO on: Twitter - Facebook - Twitch - YouTube
    Personal channels (No SSG talk): Twitch Twitter Facebook
    Support: help.standingstonegames.com
    coolcool

Oh I missed this thread! I may be wrong but I think the answer to the riddle is the scarecrow in the bree fields.

This guy

WE HAVE A WINNER!!! Congratulations Laurelinarien! Please let me know your in-game name, so I can send you your 100 gold prize!

Now, to offer a full explanation of the riddle. I will start with the last lines, because as a tricksy hobbit I purposefully put the most obvious clues last, and the least obvious clues first!

This scarecrow is a complete failure. Not only is it not scaring away the birds, but there are 4 crows, or perhaps more accurately crebain, literally sitting on it. These birds are commonly used as spies by Saruman and perhaps others.

Quivering, yet un-bowed

Looking at the scarecrow, we can see what appears to be a quiver hanging from its shoulder down to the ground. However, it has no bow (unless that stick is meant to be one, though it has no string). It is also presenting a type of fork - as a choice in a road is known - a pitchfork, to be exact.

Note also that every two lines rhyme. The hyphen in "un-bowed" differentiates it from "unbowed" (i.e. refusing to bow). And to make it rhyme with "road" it had to be pronounced "bowed", as in a bow and arrow. These two subtle elements were intended as clues that the "bow" might pair with the "quiver".

Looking again at the scarecrow, we can see that in place of a helmet it has a bucket, which is a type of vessel for carrying water or milk. Looking closer we see that its eyes, or "seers" in riddle-speak, are seated upon its head (not carved like a statue) and they are both blind and round as they are buttons! Incidentally, the comma between seated and round indicates that round describes the blind seers, not that they were "seated 'round". This was purposefully written this way as a possible misdirection.

Mystery of Bree
    Smoking breathlessly

Lastly, those that look very closely may see that this scarecrow has a pipe. And not only does it have a pipe, but that pipe is lit and the scarecrow is actively smoking it! How this is possible is clearly a mystery - how could a scarecrow, with no breath, be smoking a pipe!

Of course, this last/first clue was very subtle and likely not obvious to most people. It also served to make people think of chimneys or other things that smoke within the game. Again, this was a purposeful possible misdirection...

...and that's it! Thanks to all of you who played my little game and congrats again to Laurelinarien for being the first to offer the correct answer!

Quote Originally Posted by Laurelinarien View Post
    Oh I missed this thread! I may be wrong but I think the answer to the riddle is the scarecrow in the bree fields.

This guy

WE HAVE A WINNER!!! Congratulations Laurelinarien! Please let me know your in-game name, so I can send you your 100 gold prize!

Now, to offer a full explanation of the riddle. I will start with the last lines, because as a tricksy hobbit I purposefully put the most obvious clues last, and the least obvious clues first!

This scarecrow is a complete failure. Not only is it not scaring away the birds, but there are 4 crows, or perhaps more accurately crebain, literally sitting on it. These birds are commonly used as spies by Saruman and perhaps others.

Quivering, yet un-bowed

Looking at the scarecrow, we can see what appears to be a quiver hanging from its shoulder down to the ground. However, it has no bow (unless that stick is meant to be one, though it has no string). It is also presenting a type of fork - as a choice in a road is known - a pitchfork, to be exact.

Note also that every two lines rhyme. The hyphen in "un-bowed" differentiates it from "unbowed" (i.e. refusing to bow). And to make it rhyme with "road" it had to be pronounced "bowed", as in a bow and arrow. These two subtle elements were intended as clues that the "bow" might pair with the "quiver".

Looking again at the scarecrow, we can see that in place of a helmet it has a bucket, which is a type of vessel for carrying water or milk. Looking closer we see that its eyes, or "seers" in riddle-speak, are seated upon its head (not carved like a statue) and they are both blind and round as they are buttons! Incidentally, the comma between seated and round indicates that round describes the blind seers, not that they were "seated 'round". This was purposefully written this way as a possible misdirection.

Mystery of Bree
    Smoking breathlessly

Lastly, those that look very closely may see that this scarecrow has a pipe. And not only does it have a pipe, but that pipe is lit and the scarecrow is actively smoking it! How this is possible is clearly a mystery - how could a scarecrow, with no breath, be smoking a pipe!

Of course, this last/first clue was very subtle and likely not obvious to most people. It also served to make people think of chimneys or other things that smoke within the game. Again, this was a purposeful possible misdirection...

...and that's it! Thanks to all of you who played my little game and congrats again to Laurelinarien for being the first to offer the correct answer!
    This was insanely fun to follow. I'm not on Gladden but was having fun trying to figure it out myself. Congratulations Laurelinarien!!!

Hahaha Scifi told me I had won xD
    My in-game name is the same as my forum name (Laurelinarien)

It was a beautifully written riddle, Khodo! Ty!

Quote Originally Posted by Laurelinarien View Post
    Hahaha Scifi told me I had won xD
    My in-game name is the same as my forum name (Laurelinarien)

It was a beautifully written riddle, Khodo! Ty!
    Your prize has been sent! Congrats again!

Your prize has been sent! Congrats again!
    Ty kindly!