We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Spears ! :)

Spears ! :)

I'm hoping we get to see spears get a bit of a buff (at least for Wardens). Maybe not DPS per se (since that's what swords are for) but maybe an added +15% to parry/evasion to simulate the length/distance of a spear (in-game rationale) to really make it the Warden's "tanking weapon".

I mean spears are literally the Warden's icon for goodness sakes!xD

Would be nice to see a +% damage modifier for spears on Warden as well, kinda sad that the iconic weapon for the class is suboptimal.
    ~ Take the player, not the class ~

Hell no! When I finally - with new legendaries - switched from spear to more optimal club for my warden.

Ehm, i always liked spears, lore wise - animation wise- coolness (is that a word?) wise etc etc, wardens core weapon should be a spear

Commander Liliam - the Warden
    Evernight

I have been hounding them about this for years!!!!!!
    CAANWICK - Wardenist - Make Wardens Great Again!!! / CAANJOB - The Ettenmoors' worst Burglar / CAANJAAL - Hunter
    "If you find yourself in a fair fight, you've already lost!"
    Forged in Flames-Crickhollow

I started using a sword recently on a Warden-alt and I really hate the look of it My main still stubbornly uses a spear.

It would take a ton of work, but it would be nice if they reworked warden swords, clubs, etc into different varieties of spears. Sure, I get that early weapons are equippable by other classes so they can't do that, but in the Legendary Item system it could definitely be done because those are all divided up by class anyway.

Come on SSG!! Give Wardens better Spear stuff !

Quote Originally Posted by Joedangod View Post
    Would be nice to see a +% damage modifier for spears on Warden as well, kinda sad that the iconic weapon for the class is suboptimal.
    +1, you're damn right !

As no race has a bonus damage on spears, something like +7% at least could be great !
    Just enough to reach other combo race/weapon... f.e. using a club when you're an hobbit allows +2% by the class (passive), +5% by the race (trait). Same thing with sword for elves.

Or +12%, but forbidden to High Elves !! Well...

Can we talk just a minute about the High Elves and their +5% light damage ? That's great, but honestly, the ancient races (hobbit, dwarf, human) traits are so weak compared to those of the new races !
    Make something about that ! Ok for light... but in this case, there should be no bonus on the weapons in addition...
    Maybe a "lifting" of the old races traits could be nice !

For now, the high elves are so "higher" than the others. They are optimal for minstrels, wardens, hunter... There's no more place for any choice, the difference is so huge !
    From Sirannon [FR] - Please, be easy on my english level !

Meanwhile, if we could skin a spear on a sword or a club, it would be nice.
    Especially as the animations, for wardens gambits, are the same...

I would really love to see Spears be viable again. Back when the level cap was 85 spears were still viable in a very min-max way for DPS, but swords had become the optimal tanking weapon. Currently, swords grant a whopping 4% Parry bonus if you have Grand Master Weapon Training, and a still very solid 3% Parry if you don't, and the 5% racial bonus for swords makes them better for DPS than spears because of scaling. There is simply no reason to not use a sword, unless you're a Hobbit in which case there is only very minimal reason not to use a sword.

Historically, the spear was a very versatile weapon. Holding it towards the base of the shaft would grant reach in exchange for power and precision. A shorter grip would make it an extremely fast weapon capable of pushing through chain mail. An overhand grip would allow rapid thrusts towards an opponents body with the added threat of the spear being thrown from mid-range. All of this coupled with the fact that it's been common practice to wield a spear in one hand and a shield in the other since the days of Alexander the Great's famous Phalanx. There's a reason this stone age weapon was the backbone of armies up until the late 1800's.

As the Warden is the only class that gets Master Spear Training as a passive, perhaps some bonuses could simply be tacked onto that. Maybe a reduction to attack duration, and a small bonus to attack damage... perhaps +7-10% to make it just a bit better than swords/clubs with the racial bonus. Alternatively, you could fully embrace versatility as the spear's thing by giving it a reduction to attack duration, an increase to incoming healing, and perhaps a small bonus to block or evade (maybe 2%, tops) making it a weapon more applicable to more things that the warden does, at the cost of some DPS; a weapon more suited to blue-line antics whereas the sword is more suited to red-line.

Quote Originally Posted by Gladdis View Post
    maybe an added +15% to parry/evasion
    So like a sword, but 5 times better? Yeah, that makes sense

Frankly, I'd settle for making the LI spear DOT be main-hand type rather than common, and making it scale with the warden traits/traceries. After all, if you're positioning the Warden as the DoT class, it's logical to make the only DoT weapon better for Wardens than for any other class.
    "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Quote Originally Posted by Cil. View Post
    +1, you're damn right !

As no race has a bonus damage on spears, something like +7% at least could be great !
    Just enough to reach other combo race/weapon... f.e. using a club when you're an hobbit allows +2% by the class (passive), +5% by the race (trait). Same thing with sword for elves.

Or +12%, but forbidden to High Elves !! Well...

Can we talk just a minute about the High Elves and their +5% light damage ? That's great, but honestly, the ancient races (hobbit, dwarf, human) traits are so weak compared to those of the new races !
    Make something about that ! Ok for light... but in this case, there should be no bonus on the weapons in addition...
    Maybe a "lifting" of the old races traits could be nice !

For now, the high elves are so "higher" than the others. They are optimal for minstrels, wardens, hunter... There's no more place for any choice, the difference is so huge !
    There's also a small animation advantage so female High Elf Warden attacks are a little faster. Adds up with the other things. And 10% out of combat movespeed. And a out of combat revive your healer CD.

At this point I remain human only out of the faint hope that tanking will become what it once was. Oh wait, morale taps are light damage... AoE tanking is better in High Elf assuming BPE capped?
    Last edited by WhimsicalPacifist; Jul 03 2022 at 09:01 AM.

Gonna up this. Wardens need a spear bonus. This way way way long overdue.

Quote Originally Posted by WhimsicalPacifist View Post
    There's also a small animation advantage so female High Elf Warden attacks are a little faster. Adds up with the other things. And 10% out of combat movespeed. And a out of combat revive your healer CD.

At this point I remain human only out of the faint hope that tanking will become what it once was. Oh wait, morale taps are light damage... AoE tanking is better in High Elf assuming BPE capped?
    The BPE bonus is more handy than it first seems as, even apparently capped, you still have to offset enemy finesse. The +5% incoming healing bonus and the +5% morale bonus are also pretty nice. Main reason to be a human Warden though is the humans, unlike elves, can have beards. I don't mean to sound elitist, but if you are playing an un-bearded Warden you simply aren't playing the class optimally.

In what way would you think High Elves make better Hunters than the traditional Elves? Both get a +5% bonus to sword damage, the High Elf Run Speed Bonus does not stack with the Hunter speed bonus & Elves get a +5% Bow damage (which tops High Elves traits all on it's own).
    Last edited by Hastran; Jul 23 2022 at 07:15 PM.

I actually think Hunters should get a +5% Spear damage bonus. Spears are used for hunting and it would encourage the use of Spears in the game (and a High Elf who is a Hunter would get the Spear bonus).

+1, you're damn right !

Unless I am sadly confused. there is not a Passive weapon damage bonus. The +2% did get bumped up to +5% for the Racial weapon bonuses several years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Hastran View Post
    Unless I am sadly confused. there is not a Passive weapon damage bonus. The +2% did get bumped up to +5% for the Racial weapon bonuses several years ago.
    Just look :

Whohaz_Duhrang is offline Father Of Dwarves Within The Evernight...
    Spears!!!

At least we have spears here. 16 years on Kobold-side, and still waiting for a single spear...

Brandy: Cupcakes of Doom.
    Landro: Trueheart Companions.