We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

On Going Guard Tank Balance/Utility/Dps

I recall about about two years ago (? defiantly before Covid hit) that there was a big uproar about TANK BALANCE and the Devs saying something about taking an ongoing look at tanks specs. Well if I recall correctly, they did some little nerfing to the Cappies (in my opinion not enough) but for the most part left the Guardians untouched. The Devs did absolutely nothing to help their survivability in higher end raiding (Remmo at the time) and instances like Stairs at t5 ( w/ the bleeds over 1 million every few secs that captains were regularly completing and while groups with guardians struggled immensely if they were even able to complete it) or add more group utility to the guards to even compete w/ the captain's rezzes, healing and group buffs in their tanking line. Since then their response was to increase the guardians' dps in red line (which we defiantly needed but still not competitive enough for tier 3 and up raids/instance), added finesse to "Relentless Attack" (which should of been put on a passive trait not on a skill) and added a +40% dps increase raid wide to "Break Ranks" at the cost of losing our fortification and attached it to shield taunt which many, including myself asked them not to (should be been its own skill). Then it seems they put everything on hold when Covid hit (understandable), and later for the up coming new area (Gundabad), the brawler and the new LI system (they bit off to much if you ask me) and we haven't heard much till now. So I'd like to take the time to mention the issue of Guardian survivability and utility to the forefront of the conversation and the Devs radar. Here are some thought/suggestion that I've previously posted with some updates to them.

RED LINE and UTILITY:

1)PROTECTION BY THE SWORD (make it a group or raid wide utility):

a: Adds a 15% damage increase to guardian permanently until the skill is toggled off sorta like the captain's defense of m.e. or like our old "overpower stance"
    b: Adds a 5% damage increase aura 25 to 30 meters from the guard as long as the skill is toggled.
    c: Make it a NON PULSING skill, in other words let it be permanent until toggle off
    d: Make it increase all damage types not just melee.
    e: Can't be deactivated if the guard is put in any combat state (stunned, disarmed, silenced, knocked back, or punted) like "Shield Wall" does when we get stunned or punt to far from away from our target).

f: Increase our crit and devastate magnitudes on all our dps not just on bleeds

g: Remove our dependence on parry responses in red line seeing that most of the time when grouping and in red line there is another tank and mobs are not hitting us so we don't often generate parry response to use our skills depending on them (like some of our bleeds).

h) Increase damage dealt in red line by whatever is needed to be competitive in at least T3 level raids. All we really have is blue line.

BLUE LINE and UTILITY:

1) SHIELD WALL:

a: Make it a -75% damage reduction skill on the Guardian.
    b: Adds a -5% to -10% damage reduction aura to any within 25 to 30 meters of the guard while the skill is on. NO EXTRA DAMAGE TAKEN/ABSORBED BY THE GUARDIAN LIKE SW DOES ATM.
    c: Make it reduce all damage types (physical and tactical)
    d: 15 sec duration with about 1:45 min cd to Guardian and all within 25 to 30 meters (Duration and cd up for discussion. Don't want to make it to strong but don't want to make it meaningless either and I don't feel 10 sec duration is enough).
    d: Can't be deactivate if the Guardian is put in any combat state (stunned, disarmed, knocked down, punted, etc..... like Shield Wall currently does on stuns or knockdown not sure which to be honest).

2) LITANY OF DEFIANCE:

a: Make it a +10% incoming healing to guardian
    b: Adds a 5% incoming healing aura to all within 25 to 30 meters of the guard
    c: Make it a permanent skill while it's toggled to the "on" position or maybe even give a skill duration: 15 sec duration on a 45 sec. cd
    d: Can't be deactivate if Guardian is put in any combat state (stunned, disarmed, knock down, punted, etc....).

3) Increase damage dealt in blue line by 20% (add this increase to passives within the blue line). Also increase our crit rating in tank line cause we need it to bring up our fortification fast.

4) Increase Morale by 20% (add this increase to passives within the blue line so when we switch to tanking line our morale goes up just like the other tanks can do).

YELLOW LINE and UTILITY:

1) PROTECTION:

a: Adds a 10% mitigation (physical and tactical) to the Guardian
    b: Adds a 3% to 4% mitigation aura to all within 25 to 30 meters from the guardian
    c: Make it permanent skill until toggled on or off
    d: Can't be deactivate if Guardian is put in any combat state (stunned, disarmed, knock down, punted, etc....).

2) Increase damage dealt in yellow line by 30% (add this increase to passives within the yellow line) and increase our crit rating

3) Increase Morale by 10% (add this increase to passives within the yellow line)

These are just a few ideas and doesn't include all the other fixes the guardians need to traits and skills.
    Just to mention a few:

1) Warriors Heart = +1062 incoming healing, +1% block chance, +1% partial block chance. These can be increased to something more meaningful

2) Strength of Morale = 4400 to 6000 morale, 1200 power cost, 30 min cd - change this to something like a Temporary 75k morale increase and 1000 power increase for 15 sec every 5 mins skill at 400 power cost. Just a thought but can be made to something more meaningful then what it is now.

3) Shield Taunt = I feel we need an INTERMEDIATE FORCE TAUNT and SHIELD TAUNT SHOULD BE MADE A FORCE TAUNT activated by a block response like it is atm.
    4) Disassociate "Break Ranks" from Shield Taunt and make its skill. I know this will be harder to do cause you'll have to play w/ the cost of trait point which btw I feel some cost way to much. None should cost more them 5 trait points.

5) As mentioned above Red line should be disassociated from parry responses

6) Remove our fortification CASH OUT from our skills. Why do we have to lose survivability to use a skill? I don't recall atm any other tank having to do this why the guard only?

7) Remove Finesse from "Relentless Assault" and adds it to the 1st passive trait in both blue and yellow line please.....

8) etc, etc, etc.....

Any other ideas from the Gaudian community would be appreciated...... thanks guys

Please Devs, consider these improvements and added utilities to these Guardian's skills. We need some love.......
    Last edited by Technician46; Jan 22 2022 at 10:55 PM.

guardian survivability is definitely in a very good spot rn. cappy nerfs left them with a single big CD and 3 mediocre damage reduction skills you cycle through in a minute and that's it (utility is still better than guard tho), but guard has 3 big CDs, 3 lesser CDs, damage buffs or group wide damage soak on fort cashout and significant, easy to maintain bpe buffs, not to forget a very long combat state immunity when using the stun break.

the only changes in blue i wanna see rn to make me happy is fix the avoid issues: if shield skills get avoided you will not build forts at all and shield blow will not open a block response. this can be solved in multiple different ways: improve itemisation on tank gear to incluse plenty of finesse, make the effects on guard skills apply on use, not on hit, just like cappy skills (seriously, cappies can effectively tank with 0 finesse), or make shield skills harder to avoid (either by default or replace disorientation with just that).

red guard would just need a few minor buffs to be competitive (a bit more group buffs and ~10-20% more dps).

yellow line is a huge mess and needs a full on rework or the brawler treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by Technician46 View Post
    : Remove our dependence on parry responses in red line seeing that most of the time when grouping and in red line there is another tank and mobs are not hitting us so we don't often generate parry response to use our skills depending on them (like some of our bleeds).
    What do you think Protection by the Sword does ? Exactly this : you use the tank's parry events to use your offensive skills.

1) SHIELD WALL:
    a: Make it a -75% damage reduction skill on the Guardian.
    Disagree. Guardians already have strong defensive cooldowns for physical attacks (Juggernaut and Pledge), ways to periodically mitigate any damage (Redirect), and very potent *oh ####* self heals (Catch a Breath and Warrior's Heart). This would make it completely over the top and render a Guardian capable to cope with any situation on his own.

2) LITANY OF DEFIANCE:

a: Make it a +10% incoming healing to guardian
    4) Increase Morale by 20% (add this increase to passives within the blue line so when we switch to tanking line our morale goes up just like the other tanks can do).
    Why do you want to copy/paste Captain's toolkit on the Guardian ? Litany is nice as it is : sort of a double-edged sword.

Also increase our crit rating in tank line cause we need it to bring up our fortification fast.
    What are shield spikes for ?

YELLOW LINE and UTILITY:

1) PROTECTION:

a: Adds a 10% mitigation (physical and tactical) to the Guardian
    This one is terrible : if yellow has as much mitigations as blue line without needing to build fortifications, with better debuffs and more dps, what's the point of blue line ?

3) Shield Taunt = I feel we need an INTERMEDIATE FORCE TAUNT and SHIELD TAUNT SHOULD BE MADE A FORCE TAUNT activated by a block response like it is atm.
    What ? Guardians already have enough taunts. Having two AoE taunts on top of two single target ones (one of which can be kept 100% on a target) would be completely over the top.

6) Remove our fortification CASH OUT from our skills. Why do we have to lose survivability to use a skill? I don't recall atm any other tank having to do this why the guard only?
    Because if using it had no cost, it would be a no brainer in any situation given its potency.
    Gabrediel, Original Challenger of Sarouman | Gabramir, Original Challenger of Gothmog

Unquale - Sirannon [FR]

I recall about about two years ago (? defiantly before Covid hit) that there was a big uproar about TANK BALANCE and the Devs saying something about taking an ongoing look at tanks specs. Well if I recall correctly, they did some little nerfing to the Cappies (in my opinion not enough) but for the most part left the Guardians untouched. The Devs did absolutely nothing to help their survivability in higher end raiding (Remmo at the time) and instances like Stairs at t5 ( w/ the bleeds over 1 million every few secs that captains were regularly completing and while groups with guardians struggled immensely if they were even able to complete it) or add more group utility to the guards to even compete w/ the captain's rezzes, healing and group buffs in their tanking line. Since then their response was to increase the guardians' dps in red line (which we defiantly needed but still not competitive enough for tier 3 and up raids/instance), added finesse to "Relentless Attack" (which should of been put on a passive trait not on a skill) and added a +40% dps increase raid wide to "Break Ranks" at the cost of losing our fortification and attached it to shield taunt which many, including myself asked them not to (should be been its own skill). Then it seems they put everything on hold when Covid hit (understandable), and later for the up coming new area (Gundabad), the brawler and the new LI system (they bit off to much if you ask me) and we haven't heard much till now. So I'd like to take the time to mention the issue of Guardian survivability and utility to the forefront of the conversation and the Devs radar. Here are some thought/suggestion that I've previously posted with some updates to them.
    I came here to see what sort of problem guardians had. It is the first I'm hearing about it. I knew both the guardians and the captains had much lower damage output then any other class (at least now in Gundabad). But as a fellow captain tank, I took a bit of offense when you think we weren't nerfed enough. Not only have they removed Vitality essences but also added enemy attacks that remove a percentage of your morale. I remember someone in my group was flabbergasted to learn how each of our tanking abilities worked now. How our only ranged AoE taunt lasts 5 seconds with a cooldown of 30 seconds (which has a 1min cooldown until you get the trait at the bottom of the trait tree).

We have three other 5s Forced Attack single target taunts (two with 15s cooldowns) - one range, one melee, and one that is only used in certain circumstances (prep it, melee range, and expends our damage reduction buff). Our Noble Mark only has a range of 12 meters (which was in response to a kiting tactic used in Remmorchant) which now makes all three marks nerfed (Revealing Mark was changed from amount healed proportioned to damage dealt to flat rate & Telling Mark reduced from 10% all damage dealt to target to 5%). Motivating Speech was changed to a 5min Duty-Bound. Perhaps the only change I accepted was the function of Shield of the Dúnedain - it can only be cast on allies for 10s (up to 15s with tracery) and also increases incoming healing 30%.

I'm kind of surprised you didn't even mention how they fixed your legendary item so that it provides you incoming healing. I figured you would be thrilled about that. I will agree on the fact that what keeps captains unique is our 10s Last Stand and ability to revive people (5minute cooldown, cannot move while casting, 6 trait points to revive a second person and 20s buff, must be within 25m of the target), but this is the first time I heard something about guardians needing to be fixed. If anything, brawlers and wardens are the tanks that need to be looked at (to which they are to some degree).

I'm also still envious of your "Essence of the Fleet Footed" - Killing an enemy has a 25% chance to gain 50% Run Speed for 10s. Why can't captains get a cool class essence like that?

i would have agreed with some of the points about 2 years ago, when 130 cap came out and the tanking situation looked really bad for guardians. at that time, captain was just superior in any way. but much has changed since. sure, guardian looks almost unchanged, a little bit nerfed even, if you look at pledge magnitude. but i can assure you that guardians can tank any high tier end game content rn without issues. in the recently released 3man den of pughlak, i'd argue guardians are much superior to captains, since in the boss fight you get stunned and mezzed in rapid succession, and turn the tables renders you immune to all that for a quite long time (much longer than its actual cooldown).

so currently, neither guardians nor captains need any actual major changes to their tanking abilities, and much rather just convenience changes to some skills.

I don't agree with everything, am more in the boat of Gabli, here is a bit of my take on the main points:

+Red line: I completely agree that redline should see it's damage dramatically increased and protection by the sword should definitely be buffed up to be an actual useful support skill, i would even up it to like 10-15% dmg (mastery) because a 5% mastery increase is way too low. Agree with all the protection by the sword changes.

+Blue line: Shield wall should definitely become more useful than it currently is but i do not want yet another emergency skill for guardians, guardians already have enough of those (or even too many), so far im looking more at a beorning sacrifice as the new buffed shield wall. Litanny of defiance should be buffed but i am unsure of the suggestion of OP, kind of depends on the entire situation of guardian and how shield wall is gonna look like in the end. Currently i am more for a general buff to it instead of a rework, something like mitigating the total dmg the guardian takes from redirecting dmg from teammates.

+Yellow line: Protection definitely needs a buff but not by giving the guard 10% mit, the other suggestions are more interesting.

Guardians will definitely need a TON more changes to properly fix them up, especially in its redline which is just atrocious. There's way too much to list but some of the main points would probably be:

+Red line: buff dmg dramatically, improve the traitline dramatically in every way, increase its group utility like PbtS
    +Yellow line: Trash
    +Blue line: Adaptability is dumb, ur being rewarded to afk. Change it. Buff shieldwall, buff litanny slightly, make break ranks a seperate skill. Disorientation should be reworked.

WH buffs from different lines should stack when both traited at the same time etc.

Blue line just needs some slight tweaks here and there on some skills and traits, nothing big and hey increase morale per vitality back to 5 bruh
    Yellow line is just a total mess
    Red line needs a huge rework

I believe guard is in the right spot for tanking right now. In fact it's by far the best option for tanking T4/5 Pughlak. It's quite feasible to reach cap on mits and the morale pool is roughly the same as a captain prebuff.

As far as red/yellow guard, it's not its prominent purpose, red for landscape sure.. but I can see why with a limited team SSG won't spend time working on something that's marginally used.

20 percent more morale would be pretty OP. That would put them well.above what captains have. With a captain in your group/raid its almost equal as it is. Guards have a lot more survival kills than captains, better passive mits, more bpe , and better taunts.

Honestly I'm pretty happy with where my Guard is at right now, in blue. A little more utility wouldn't hurt but your changes essentially combine much of what a captain brings in addition to guardian skills. I don't see it ending well.