We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Who is Barandil the Brown?

I am doing the quest The History of Avabarg and during the quest Leothred says "Forthári’s youngest son was Frumgar, a boy of twelve, now Chieftain of the Ai-thúda. While still a youth, Frumgar became a hero of his people, befriending both the Longbeard Dwarves and the Wizards Gandalf the Grey and Barandil the Brown."
    But there is only one brown wizard, and that is Radagast, and that is not one of his known names.
    What gives?

I tried Googling, and cannot find an answer anywhere, only the quest, and all that does is quote the quest text.

Maybe a typo by MoL?
    "Grandchildren are God's reward for not killing your children when you wanted to."

Quote Originally Posted by DavidmeetHal View Post
    I tried Googling, and cannot find an answer anywhere, only the quest, and all that does is quote the quest text.

Maybe a typo by MoL?
    Unless that's an Elvish name for Radagast that they came up with ('Radagast' is Adunaic, apparently).

Only thing is the 'baran' bit means 'brown' so 'Barandil the Brown' would be a bit redundant

Quote Originally Posted by DavidmeetHal View Post
    Maybe a typo by MoL?
    This isn't actually my quest series... but it's not a typo either!

Quote Originally Posted by Radhruin_EU View Post
    Unless that's an Elvish name for Radagast that they came up with... Only thing is the 'baran' bit means 'brown' so 'Barandil the Brown' would be a bit redundant
    Yep, this is where Barandil came from, although we have the folk who lived in this region also giving him their own names: Brúnvin by the Thíuda, and eventually Rudugást by Frumgar.

MoL

Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfLions View Post
    Yep, this is where Barandil came from, although we have the folk who lived in this region also giving him their own names: Brúnvin by the Thíuda, and eventually Rudugást by Frumgar.

MoL
    Oh! Thanks for explaining! I had tried to look it up but couldn't find that name for him anywhere.

Very much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Erzsa View Post
    Oh! Thanks for explaining! I had tried to look it up but couldn't find that name for him anywhere.

Very much appreciated.
    Same, very much appreciated for the explanation!
    "Grandchildren are God's reward for not killing your children when you wanted to."