We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Game crashing on launch, Black screen, load circle, freeze...

Reinstalled lotro, now i can;t play. every time i boot the game it gives a black screen and i have to crash the game or close it man. if i delete the 2 ini files in documents the game will load up in dx11 but not dx9. once on char screen if i restart game same problem black screen until i delete ini files again. tried all the fixed, the SSG support page fixes, installing all the windows dx files and web thing. nothing i do will make the game run...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xuxx...annel=Gisborne
    Last edited by AdamChattaway; Feb 27 2022 at 09:09 AM.
    Then out spake brave Horatius, The Captain of the Gate:
    “To every man upon this earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can man die better Than facing fearful odds, For the ashes of his fathers, And the temples of his gods?"

Install the DirectX 9 Runtime from the link in my post. Yes, you HAVE to install it. LOTRO was created with this SDK and needs .dlls from it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChromiteSwiftpaw View Post
    Here's my standard spiel on client needs. You probably need the Visual C++ 2010 SP1 x64 runtime in this list.

LOTRO 32/64-bit Client Help and runtime requirements

MS Visual C++ 2010 SP1 x86: https://download.microsoft.com/downl...redist_x86.exe
    MS Visual C++ 2010 SP1 x64: https://download.microsoft.com/downl...redist_x64.exe
    MS Visual C++ 2015/2017/2018 x86: https://aka.ms/vs/16/release/vc_redist.x86.exe
    MS Visual C++ 2015/2017/2018 x64: https://aka.ms/vs/16/release/vc_redist.x64.exe

Those are the Visual C++ RunTimes LOTRO usually needs.

You MUST also have the DirectX 9 (June 2010) Runtime installed. Yes, even on Windows 10. You may download it from here:

DirectX 9 (June 2010) Runtime Web Installer: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...ils.aspx?id=35

If you have an nVIDIA Graphics Card/Chipset and Builtin Motherboard Graphics on the CPU, here is where you can set what Games/Apps will use the proper GPU: https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answ...-in-process-of

If you have an AMD Graphics Card/Chipset and Builtin Motherboard Graphics on the CPU, here is where you can set what Games/Apps will use which GPU (you want the Discrete GPU AKA Graphics Card/Chipset): https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh-017

If your system has more than one GPU (Motherboard/CPU AND a Discrete GPU) and you get the error message below, then this thread may help. Specifically Post #7:
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...ION-WORKAROUND

Quote Originally Posted by AdamChattaway View Post
    Reinstalled lotro, now i can;t play. every time i boot the game it gives a black screen and i have to crash the game or close it man. if i delete the 2 ini files in documents the game will load up in dx11 but not dx9. once on char screen if i restart game same problem black screen until i delete ini files again. tried all the fixed, the SSG support page fixes, installing all the windows dx files and web thing. nothing i do will make the game run...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xuxx...annel=Gisborne
    Not of that worked. Look at the video i linked. game starts up normally first time with no ini files, on relaunch it crashes. even with no ini files game will not start at all if i don;t pick the dx11 option.
    “To every man upon this earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can man die better Than facing fearful odds, For the ashes of his fathers, And the temples of his gods?"

You said none of that worked.

Did you check to see if you have DirectX9 available as an option to select after you delete the UserPreferences.ini and UserPreferences64.ini files? That will tell you if you have the DX9 runtime installed properly.

Also, is this a laptop or a desktop? More to the point - does your system have a builtin GPU on the CPU Plus a Graphics Card? Because if so, you didn't try the last part of what I listed.

Did you check to see if you have DirectX9 available as an option to select after you delete the UserPreferences.ini and UserPreferences64.ini files? That will tell you if you have the DX9 runtime installed properly.

Also, is this a laptop or a desktop? More to the point - does your system have a builtin GPU on the CPU Plus a Graphics Card? Because if so, you didn't try the last part of what I listed.
    I can select all 3 in game, if i set it to 9 and relaunch game still fails to load same as dx11 also if i do get in game and minimize game then game is stuck minimized and wont reopen up from desktop forcing me to crash it...

I can select all 3 in game, if i set it to 9 and relaunch game still fails to load same as dx11 also if i do get in game and minimize game then game is stuck minimized and wont reopen up from desktop forcing me to crash it...
    Answer the last question

2080 super and no integrated on a 9700k.

Ive managed to get the game to run but only in window mode with 1920x1080 res in both res settings. anything else the game wont load.

edit: crashed while i was on desktop typing, upon opening window crashed again.

Can you screenshot the list of Visual C++ runtimes you have installed?

Can you screenshot the list of Visual C++ runtimes you have installed?
    and where are they?

Right click the Start button and select "Programs and Features" (If it still exists there) or just do a search for it.

Right click the Start button and select "Programs and Features" (If it still exists there) or just do a search for it.
    https://ibb.co/gRfTHTq

OK.. you said no integrated on a 9700k. Let's be sure - check your Device Manager and see if the Intel UHD Graphics 630 shows up in there.

The i7-9700K does have Integrated Graphics being the Intel's UHD Graphics 630.

A question to the OP, are you using Windows 11?

There have been some folks reporting issues where they can't get LOTRO to run, it's crashing and having Windows 11.

Not to say it's the main reason but it could be a key reason as the Lord of the Rings Online does not have Official Support for Windows 11 at this time and due to not having Official Support + how Windows 11 is getting Updated, Drivers, etc is causing these issues.

Windows 10 Operating System is pretty much the "Optimal" Operating System to be running LOTRO.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvain View Post
    The i7-9700K does have Integrated Graphics being the Intel's UHD Graphics 630.

A question to the OP, are you using Windows 11?

There have been some folks reporting issues where they can't get LOTRO to run, it's crashing and having Windows 11.

Not to say it's the main reason but it could be a key reason as the Lord of the Rings Online does not have Official Support for Windows 11 at this time and due to not having Official Support + how Windows 11 is getting Updated, Drivers, etc is causing these issues.

Windows 10 Operating System is pretty much the "Optimal" Operating System to be running LOTRO.
    I'm using windows 11 but so is my friend and he doesnt have problems, only difference is his is an 11 upgrade and mine is a full win 11 update... looks like i can't play lotro anymore then...

The program lotroclient64.exe version 3200.64.9939.4011 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
    Process ID: 347c
    Start Time: 01d82c1b6d132f1b
    Termination Time: 2
    Application Path: D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\comm on\Lord of the Rings Online\x64\lotroclient64.exe
    Report Id: b5c43839-3013-44a9-a03c-60258ef663f6
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:
    Hang type: Unknown

OK.. you said no integrated on a 9700k. Let's be sure - check your Device Manager and see if the Intel UHD Graphics 630 shows up in there.
    only my gfx card shows.

The program lotroclient64.exe version 3200.64.9939.4011 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
    Process ID: 347c
    Start Time: 01d82c1b6d132f1b
    Termination Time: 2
    Application Path: D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\comm on\Lord of the Rings Online\x64\lotroclient64.exe
    Report Id: b5c43839-3013-44a9-a03c-60258ef663f6
    The other option would be fully uninstalling it from Steam & Install + use LOTRO's own Launcher + Files.

It could just be a Steam Issue although I actually had the exact opposite issue with Windows 10 that I am still using.

My main PC & what I am posting from has Windows 10 Operating System, Ryzen 7 2700X & GTX 970 and I launch LOTRO through Steam.

The Proper LOTRO Launcher & Game Files would not run, would crash lots, etc. Using Steam outside of a few random issues or the Game itself having Problems that many are experiencing, I've had no real issues.

On 2 other Computers & 1 Laptop, I have LOTRO running through the Proper LOTRO Launcher + Files with no issues. 1 Computer + 1 Laptop using Intel Integrated Graphics & 1 using an AMD RX 550 2GB GPU.

The other option would be fully uninstalling it from Steam & Install + use LOTRO's own Launcher + Files.

It could just be a Steam Issue although I actually had the exact opposite issue with Windows 10 that I am still using.

My main PC & what I am posting from has Windows 10 Operating System, Ryzen 7 2700X & GTX 970 and I launch LOTRO through Steam.

The Proper LOTRO Launcher & Game Files would not run, would crash lots, etc. Using Steam outside of a few random issues or the Game itself having Problems that many are experiencing, I've had no real issues.

On 2 other Computers & 1 Laptop, I have LOTRO running through the Proper LOTRO Launcher + Files with no issues. 1 Computer + 1 Laptop using Intel Integrated Graphics & 1 using an AMD RX 550 2GB GPU.
    Just tried their own launcher same problem, reinstalled on steam 3 times now.

When i delete both user pref files and it lets me in game via dx 11 but not anything else, that is flag 1, then in game if i alt tab the game locks me out onto desktop and i see the mouse icon and it moves in a smaller locked window and i cannot tab back into the game and im forced to crash it. i could tech play the game is i just deleted the pref files every time i played but that is not an option... something is happening to the game when i shut it down or alt tab that makes the game perma crash after that.

Just tried their own launcher same problem, reinstalled on steam 3 times now.

When i delete both user pref files and it lets me in game via dx 11 but not anything else, that is flag 1, then in game if i alt tab the game locks me out onto desktop and i see the mouse icon and it moves in a smaller locked window and i cannot tab back into the game and im forced to crash it. i could tech play the game is i just deleted the pref files every time i played but that is not an option... something is happening to the game when i shut it down or alt tab that makes the game perma crash after that.
    You can't have Full Screen LOTRO running & Alt-Tab. You'd need to be running in Windowed (Full Screen) if you are someone who Alt-Tabs a lot.

When you "Shut down LOTRO" make sure you are Logging Out of your Character, let this naturally happen. Then hit the Exit Game Button in the Character Selection Screen.

If you Force Exit LOTRO while Logged in to a Character, for X amount of Time you are actually still logged into LOTRO and it takes far longer for the Program to fully stop running.

You can't have Full Screen LOTRO running & Alt-Tab. You'd need to be running in Windowed (Full Screen) if you are someone who Alt-Tabs a lot.

When you "Shut down LOTRO" make sure you are Logging Out of your Character, let this naturally happen. Then hit the Exit Game Button in the Character Selection Screen.

If you Force Exit LOTRO while Logged in to a Character, for X amount of Time you are actually still logged into LOTRO and it takes far longer for the Program to fully stop running.
    I've spent 2 days now trying to get this to work and I just give up... dx9 doesn't eve launch 32 or 64.

The game even freezes when i have it running in full screen windowed mode and i alt tab...

Process ID: 1748
    Start Time: 01d82c3551ee63f2
    Termination Time: 5
    Report Id: d758768c-4547-425d-a68e-273a7e2fc3b1

Description
    A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.
    Faulting Application Path: D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\comm on\Lord of the Rings Online\x64\lotroclient64.exe

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: AppHangB1
    Application Name: lotroclient64.exe
    Application Version: 3200.64.9939.4011
    Application Timestamp: 62130efc
    Hang Signature: a512
    Hang Type: 134217728
    OS Version: 10.0.22000.2.0.0.768.101
    Locale ID: 2057
    Additional Hang Signature 1: a512e4aea411972c4304b2a1848ac7 91
    Additional Hang Signature 2: 255d
    Additional Hang Signature 3: 255d8e8c2885550ce5046cf4274c74 67
    Additional Hang Signature 4: a512
    Additional Hang Signature 5: a512e4aea411972c4304b2a1848ac7 91
    Additional Hang Signature 6: 255d
    Additional Hang Signature 7: 255d8e8c2885550ce5046cf4274c74 67

Extra information about the problem
    Bucket ID: 133d149a3b39a52847148e560b9151 d7 (1663110662618960343)

Question: When did these Issues start?

Did you recently upgrade to Windows 11 or have you been using such for a while and LOTRO just in recent days started having random issues?

Question: When did these Issues start?

Did you recently upgrade to Windows 11 or have you been using such for a while and LOTRO just in recent days started having random issues?
    Prob firs ttime i tried to play lotro since windows 11, but it did do this before or very similar back on windows 10 1-2 years ago. my friend is windows 11 and runs game fine.

Prob firs ttime i tried to play lotro since windows 11, but it did do this before or very similar back on windows 10 1-2 years ago. my friend is windows 11 and runs game fine.
    And how much were you playing LOTRO say in 2020, 2021 and here in 2022 before you Upgraded to Windows 11?

How often did you have issues during those Years on Windows 10?

If you only encountered this Issue being so much worse after changing to Windows 11, I think we pretty much have your problem when it comes to the Lord of the Rings Online.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast