We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Tower of Orthanc Fire and ICe Challenge

Has anyone attempted to do this challenge recently? We have been attempting it and it has been wiping the floor with us. There are shadow grims that are not mentioned in any guide I can see? Any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by peppertoad View Post
    Has anyone attempted to do this challenge recently? We have been attempting it and it has been wiping the floor with us. There are shadow grims that are not mentioned in any guide I can see? Any advice?
    If memory serves the best way to do this challenge is to just brute force it with dps (assuming over leveled). If you're on level good luck as even back when it was the endgame content groups that cleared it were stacking pretty OP dps buffs just to manage it.

If I'm remembering the mechanics correctly you basically want to nuke the Fire giant down in about 10s while having 6 non-dps remove corruptions on Ice Giant when they come up. Once the Fire Giant dies I think it gives the Ice Giant 1 rage so you need to kill a grim to lower it (I dont remember if it has to be the opposite type of the giant or the same, its been awhile) and the Ice Giant needs to die by 29s as at 30s it gets another stack of Rage. I believe that the Shadow phase is just a time filler forcing players to deal with the rage mechanic further but to be honest whenever I do a deed run of this I just take as many dps as I can to nuke stuff down as fast as possible, and even then its about a 50/50 if we get the challenge or not.

First of all, are you doing it on level, or with 140s?

I'm going to assume on-level, as the giants can be burnt down before they spawn any grims with 140s.

Since the Great Rescaling™ of Orthanc a few years back, the "burn em down" method is extremely unlikely to work. This is now also true for Acid wing boss (although that fight also seems to have other issues).

One of the groups in my Kinship is working on ToO, and while we haven't really gotten to F&F boss yet, from what I remember from back in the day the Shadow grims, if killed (or possibly just hangs around for too long?) near the giants, will raise their Rage. The Shadow grims needs to be pulled away from the giants and either just be tanked far away, or killed far away from the Giants.

Man, am I happy to come across this post. Been having this same issue as well, and from weeks of testing with my kin it's been a big problem, as it's the only part we need for our deeds. Like others have said, if youre doing it at 140 or so, dpsing it down is the best way to do it. We don't always have enough numbers to do it which slows us down. And yeah the shadow grims are super annoying, especially since no one ever mentions them in guides. I'm hoping that when the level cap gets to 75 kins on Treebeard will write an update guide or something. The fast you kill, the less grims you'll need to get the anger down.

We've also been having a bug where if we accidentally kill the ice giant (usually with one little pip in his bar, thus failing the challenge) and then we run to the gate to reset it, the body still stays in the room, even if the giants respawn. While that body is on the floor, ice grims will not spawn despite 5 players facing the giant. Twice the gate wouldn't open for us to reset either despite us all being there. Definitely annoying that we had to abandon our run because of that weird bug.

Did it a while ago on Anor when it was level 75 cap. The best way for groups to do this is to do a dps test to ensure they can drop the first giant (Crisiant) within 60 seconds. Once you determine if your dps is adequate for that, you will want to follow the rest of this guide as this is the strat I know the best.

1) pick about 5-6 heavy players that can stand against Crisiants Clap (summons grims)
    2) second tank holds these grims and the second giant
    3) as "rage" builds, the rest of the dps kills them one by one dropping which will drop rage
    4) kill Crisiant
    5) begin killing second giant once all
    6) repeat step 3 and kill second giant

As far as shadow grims are concerned, I mostly remember just ignoring them. I believe they do the large explosion with the punt, so you will just need morale to beat them. Most on level characters will need to have 22k morale or more + capped mits. This is one of the view fights in the low levels that really required capped mits, a solid morale pool, and the ability to do big dps. All of our dps at level 75 was 22k+ on this fight, with 30k-40k bursts on the first giant. This is what I remember at least, some of this information could be wrong. I have embeded the vide from our final Challenger clear on Anor - it is sped up but you can slow it down to view our strats.

Last edited by Rimenuir; Jun 17 2022 at 10:51 PM.

Mirage | Fathom | Situational Awareness | Reformed
    Arkenstone | Shadowfax | Treebeard

If the 1st dead Giant stays, then leave the Instanceblock (F&F) and kill an other Boss. I have in Mind that the dead body stays around for 10-15min.

Many of the old Guides (Original Level 75) will not work, as the Giants get much more Moral with a former Update.

In the Original Settings the Giants share the Moralpool of a Boss, now they have both full Moral.
    In the Original 75 you killed one Giant and only pick up Grims from one Giant. We kite the Grims in the past.
    Stay away from the Shadowgrims separate them from the Damagegroup.

LOTRO - Anor: Orthanc ID1 (Fire & Ice) t2cm [Burglar POV]:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awx2...annel=Kalimbos

The week before, the giant get a Corruption with only 300 Moral left :-)

Think the new LI Weapons do more damage, as the headstats are gone for more damage on the weapon, but even with a bit more damage i think the coordination will be the challenge.

Enjoy the Raid - I think it is the best

Shadow grims are summoned by either giant only on t2 and explode distributed damage when slain. So you'll want to cuddle up to minimize your damage.
    Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by pilagem View Post
    Shadow grims are summoned by either giant only on t2 and explode distributed damage when slain. So you'll want to cuddle up to minimize your damage.
    Also when you kill Shadow Grim you increase Rage for near Giant, so any death make your challenge harder

Are you doing this on level or at 140? Either way you ignore the Shadow Grims if you are going for CM.

Kind of funny this used to be the hardest fight in the game for a long time, now you can probably solo it at 140.

Quote Originally Posted by PreemptiveRegret View Post
    Are you doing this on level or at 140? Either way you ignore the Shadow Grims if you are going for CM.

Kind of funny this used to be the hardest fight in the game for a long time, now you can probably solo it at 140.
    No, you can't because they buff amount of morale for bosses. 3-4 140 levels will be enough

Quote Originally Posted by Elmagor View Post
    No, you can't because they buff amount of morale for bosses. 3-4 140 levels will be enough
    I used to duo it with a Captain friend but now that we have portents I suspect I don't even need him anymore. Luckily I have the Orrey already and never need to go back into this instance again.