We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Question owning the copyright?

Who is actually and currently owning the copyright of both The Hobbit, and The Lord of The Rings?

If nobody is, is it up for sale or for auction?

Its complex but on a very basic level. The Saul Zaentz company under the name Middle-Earth Enterprises (formerly Tolkien Enterprises) own the rights to movies, merchandising and stage plays based on The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. The rights to the books are still with the Tolkien Estate.

There was some movement around Feb of this year where it was being reported that The Saul Zaentz company where looking to sell off their rights but I haven't seen anything come of it since then.
    Last edited by Ellemere; Apr 29 2022 at 09:07 AM.
    "The internet is a bubble dominated by the loudest, most unrepresentative voices; an infinitesimally small minority of a minority which, deaf to reason and the opinions of others, deludes itself that somehow it is the voice of the majority. An infinite echo chamber of shrieking, witless banality."

"Everyone draws the moral line of what's acceptable just slightly below what they're actually doing."

"Er gwaetha pawb a phopeth. Ry'n ni yma o hyd."

Quote Originally Posted by Ellemere View Post
    There was some movement around Feb of this year where it was being reported that The Saul Zaentz company where looking to sell off their rights but I haven't seen anything come of it since then.
    Amazon have since purchased the media rights to The Hobbit, apparently. Things are still a bit complicated with LOTR.

Quote Originally Posted by Radhruin_EU View Post
    Amazon have since purchased the media rights to The Hobbit, apparently. Things are still a bit complicated with LOTR.
    Ahh thanks for the update. I seemed to have missed that. I have to say an Amazon Hobbit series sounds dreadful though.
    "The internet is a bubble dominated by the loudest, most unrepresentative voices; an infinitesimally small minority of a minority which, deaf to reason and the opinions of others, deludes itself that somehow it is the voice of the majority. An infinite echo chamber of shrieking, witless banality."

"Everyone draws the moral line of what's acceptable just slightly below what they're actually doing."

"Er gwaetha pawb a phopeth. Ry'n ni yma o hyd."