We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Looking for passages from the book

Hi all.

Sometimes I see people copy and paste passages from the books when they are making a post in the forum. How do you guys find these passages? I've been looking, but my Googlefu has totally failed me.

For example, Rad found the passage of Gollum talking about Harad(Rad, if you're reading this, I would really appreciate your input), and today I was looking for the passage where Sam talks about being hung on the end of a rope as a warning to numbskulls when he remembered he had some in his pack, but my GoogleFu totally failed me.
    "Grandchildren are God's reward for not killing your children when you wanted to."

I have multiple copies of the LotR and the Hobbit.

My good (expensive hard bound copies) only get read. I have a seperate copy that I highlight and tab my favorite passages.

If I need to quote the books I just refer to my highlighted/tabbed copy and type it into chat in the game.

I know that isn't what you were hoping for but it works for me.

Kindle

Like I told you...What I said...Steal your face right off your head.

Usually if it's one of my favorite quotes, (I have many), then I can remember some of it and I simply google the part that I remember. More often than not I hit the jackpot, but when I'm not so lucky then I have to find it in my hard copies and type it out the old fashioned way
    “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
    - Will Rogers

If you have a copy on pdf... google LOTR pdf and you will find one, you can use the search on your browser to locate a specific word. I used that to find as many different possible instances of the word "laden" as existed in FotR so I could edit out a mispronounciation and replace it with a correct pronunciation. You can easily use that search to find as many different places as Gollum or Sam are speaking to find a specific character quote.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidmeetHal View Post
    Hi all.

Sometimes I see people copy and paste passages from the books when they are making a post in the forum. How do you guys find these passages? I've been looking, but my Googlefu has totally failed me.

For example, Rad found the passage of Gollum talking about Harad(Rad, if you're reading this, I would really appreciate your input), and today I was looking for the passage where Sam talks about being hung on the end of a rope as a warning to numbskulls when he remembered he had some in his pack, but my GoogleFu totally failed me.
    I found your rope passage. I searched "rope" in the pdf.

Bk 4 Ch 1 p. 594 The Taming of Smeagol
    ‘Rope!’ cried Sam, talking wildly to himself in his excitement and relief.
    ‘Well, if I don’t deserve to be hung on the
    end of one as a warning to numbskulls! You’re nowt but a
    ninnyhammer, Sam Gamgee: that’s what the Gaffer said to
    me often enough, it being a word of his. Rope!'
    Last edited by Elebraen; May 02 2022 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elebraen View Post
    If you have a copy on pdf... google LOTR pdf and you will find one, you can use the search on your browser to locate a specific word. I used that to find as many different possible instances of the word "laden" as existed in FotR so I could edit out a mispronounciation and replace it with a correct pronunciation. You can easily use that search to find as many different places as Gollum or Sam are speaking to find a specific character quote.
    I found your rope passage. I searched "rope" in the pdf.

Bk 4 Ch 1 p. 594 The Taming of Smeagol
    ‘Rope!’ cried Sam, talking wildly to himself in his excitement and relief.
    ‘Well, if I don’t deserve to be hung on the
    end of one as a warning to numbskulls! You’re nowt but a
    ninnyhammer, Sam Gamgee: that’s what the Gaffer said to
    me often enough, it being a word of his. Rope!'
    Ahhh ok, so that's how it's done. Thanks! I was looking for quotes in fan websites, shows how much I know lol.
    "Grandchildren are God's reward for not killing your children when you wanted to."

If you're looking for e-books, I found pdf and epub versions to complement my hard copies at Z-Library. (Including The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales etc. and the complete History of Middle-earth series.)
    ‘Indeed in nothing is the power of the Dark Lord more clearly shown than in the estrangement that divides all those who still oppose him.' - Haldir (FotR)

Quote Originally Posted by Legelion View Post
    If you're looking for e-books, I found pdf and epub versions to complement my hard copies at Z-Library. (Including The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales etc. and the complete History of Middle-earth series.)
    Oh, thanks for that link. I love libraries.
    Last edited by Elebraen; May 03 2022 at 02:10 AM.

You're very welcome. (And as a former library assistant, I must admit that I love libraries too!)
    ‘Indeed in nothing is the power of the Dark Lord more clearly shown than in the estrangement that divides all those who still oppose him.' - Haldir (FotR)

Quote Originally Posted by Legelion View Post
    Oh my gosh! Thank you !
    I tell you what I love, and only a book nerd can possibly understand this.

I love going into a used book store with books earlier than the 70s and enjoying the old book smell. For a nerd like me, it’s heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidmeetHal View Post
    I tell you what I love, and only a book nerd can possibly understand this.

I love going into a used book store with books earlier than the 70s and enjoying the old book smell. For a nerd like me, it’s heaven.
    I also enjoy used book stores just for the old book smell, same with libraries!

Now you've done it. Triggered memories...
    Grandma's guest-house (part of her huge garage) had a big and tall book shelf.
    One entire section was full of my Uncle Joe's Hardy Boys Mysteries.
    At age nine I read 'em all and never looked back...until today.
    Next came Jules Verne and Azimov and eventually Tolkien.

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    Now you've done it. Triggered memories...
    Grandma's guest-house (part of her huge garage) had a big and tall book shelf.
    One entire section was full of my Uncle Joe's Hardy Boys Mysteries.
    At age nine I read 'em all and never looked back...until today.
    Next came Jules Verne and Azimov and eventually Tolkien.
    I was tickled to discover that they have "The Three Investigator" series at that library link. More than the Hardy Boys, more than Nancy Drew, I read every Three Investigators book I could get my hands on starting from the age of 7. The best book my grandmother ever gave me was "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn". One of her favorites, and one of mine, too.

Tolkien was never my favorite author to read. Every time there's an unanswered question... how does? why does? what is? where is? huh?... my mind travels to find the answer rather than stay focused on the story, and pages go by where my eyes have wandered over the words but my mind was never there. Then I have to go back a few pages to where I left my mind and pick it back up again to discover what my eyes were reading while my mind was still chewing things over. I am not a multi-tasker who can read and chew at the same time, lol.

I was tickled to discover that they have "The Three Investigator" series at that library link. More than the Hardy Boys, more than Nancy Drew, I read every Three Investigators book I could get my hands on starting from the age of 7. The best book my grandmother ever gave me was "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn". One of her favorites, and one of mine, too.

Tolkien was never my favorite author to read. Every time there's an unanswered question... how does? why does? what is? where is? huh?... my mind travels to find the answer rather than stay focused on the story, and pages go by where my eyes have wandered over the words but my mind was never there. Then I have to go back a few pages to where I left my mind and pick it back up again to discover what my eyes were reading while my mind was still chewing things over. I am not a multi-tasker who can read and chew at the same time, lol.
    Occasionally I have had that same problem.
    My solution, when stuck in a section that I seem to get stuck in, is to just read out loud for a while.
    Not only does it work to keep focus, it brings new life to the words...suddenly, how you pronounce the words and place accents, makes it come to life.

My solution, when stuck in a section that I seem to get stuck in, is to just read out loud for a while.
    Not only does it work to keep focus, it brings new life to the words...suddenly, how you pronounce the words and place accents, makes it come to life.
    Maybe not a good idea when reading on public transport though
    “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
    - Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfhelm View Post
    Maybe not a good idea when reading on public transport though
    Screw 'em.

LOL, I started illustrating the book to solve that problem. Reading out loud doesn't help me, I'm afraid. That's multitasking. Illustrating forces me to put the characters in the place within the emotion and relationship context one sentence at a time. It doesn't let my mind breeze over and ignore the parts that made no sense to me when I read it. For example, The High Hay. Who calls a tall hedge a high hay? But it's actually an important reference point that connects the first part of chapter 5 where Buckland locks the Old Forest out to the first part of chapter 6 where the hobbits are locked into the Old Forest. And I absolutely love this mirror match duality I keep finding as I read.