We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Brawler = Fun

Thumbs up Brawler = Fun

Just wanted to add my two cents and say to the devs, and the community, that I am so enjoying my Brawler experience. I spent my level 50 boost on the Brawler after update 33 and the class is so crazy fun that I am as hyped about LOTRO as ever.

It’s a bit weird for me as someone who has been sneering at the Rune-keeper as a “lore break” since 2008. I talk about this a bit on my blog, but the short version is that it seems like while the RK tries really hard to squeeze into the lore but (for me and myself only) just doesn’t fit, SSG gave us all the nudge and the wink with Brawler. The idea is an absurdity in Middle-earth but all the little details show that we’re not meant to take this class too seriously.

What details?

Well, the class quests are hilarious. The taunt is decidedly a Ric Flair “woo!”. Class trait deeds earn us pints of ale. Details like that.

Sure there are some annoying flubs that I hope are fixed soon: certain class mechanics are not properly explained; there is no Moria armor set (yes I know there’s a Loth set); Fist of the Valar seems to be broken; range needs to be tweaked; essences need to be made.

But, again, Brawler is just stupid fun. I’ve never been so invested in the minutia of a class before and I think this is because I’m so enamored with its silliness. I feel motivated to dig into the tooltips, learn more, even write a guide.

So good job! I don’t know how you broke down my Middle-earth lore gatekeeper defenses but you did and I’m having a ball.

Brilliant write up and thank you for the quick guide, a great resource for ‘new and budding’ Brawlers.

I also had a hoot last night after downloading the class from the store. Great stuff SSG, and thank you Shoreless for the info.
    Irulian Fairmeadow - Elven Rune Keeper / Pennion - Elven Warden / Adaintor - Elven Guardian / Atheallia - Elven Champion
    Server - Laurelin

Agreed!

I still think the class needs a bit of a buff (or at least a quick self-heal) but overall I dare say it's the most fun class currently... maybe tied with Warden. Great job SSG! Keep it up!

Just created a brawler today.

I am also on the 'lore-conscious' side, but the brawler is surely interesting to use.

On the lore side I think it kind of works for stout-axes because they are usually forbidden to bear arms, so it makes sense that they learn to use their fists.

Thanks for the guide too! I am still trying to figure out how to trait my brawler.

At the risk of derailing, I'm on the "lore is a guidepost only" side (remember we would have nearly no game at all if we stuck only to the written lore). Yes, stick to the established lore, don't put Bag End in Michel Delving and make Bree full of elves, but explore the setting for what could conceptually be there. Sure the RK is a bit of a stretch, you're basically talking things to death and carrying around pet rocks, but it's not any more batty than singing things to death or shooting things with endless arrows... or for that matter growing apple trees in seconds.

As for the brawler, I think it's silliness is in part SSG's way of telling people to lighten up with the lore-hounding. They're trying to add more to the game without breaking the mold the Professor made - stretch out the sides a bit and fill it in sure. I mean it's sole ranged skill is your character throwing boots, rocks and steins at the target. You're weapon of choice is basically brass knuckles, and your class item is a belt buckle. That's pretty silly! And still somehow manages to fit into the theme of Middle Earth.

ANYWAY I just had to get that off my chest. xD

Now if they give it second ST taunt and little more range on ST taunt skills, will be in par with guard and cpt.
    Tanked the HH up to boss 2 t3. Then the lack of second ST taunt is more than painful.
    Even boss 1 can be a pain because range is not enough to agro swap, if RL decide bosses to be tank at small and big gate.
    No one will go with brw tank on t3 when he can just pick cpt or guard.
    Also the food buff / +15% dmg and 10% inc heal is pain in the #### on longer fights. Even on short ones if you die and get ressed, you have no way to replace this 2 buffs.
    Solution- make food possible to be used in combat, or make buffs pressist trought dead

As dps is great, BUT the buffs stil have 5m range (the heck?) also dmg increase only physical dmg.
    For casual player the class is great, fast dmg, smooth rotation, fast movement/even if not sprint/ cool looking skill animations. Fun indeed.
    But if you plan to do t3+ raid, you will have hard time to find a spot.

I agree. I'm really enjoying my Stout-axe Brawler.
    Many laughs have been had already, and if the server isnt lagging that day I can really get into it with his martial moves. Jump kicks and what not!
    As for lore,
    especially if you roleplay your way into it,
    I think the Brawler is lore friendly, why wouldn't be? I think it fits within the parameters of the in game lore and within Middle Earth itself just fine. An angry old dwarf going around drinking ale and punchisizing faces, for free?! Heck yes. How could that not exist in Middle Earth?

I'm curious..
    how did you spec your Brawlers?
    I'm starting in red/yellow, it's working out so far. I've tried blue as well and managed to kill a level 34 mob when I was just level 21...
    Also what virtues does your Brawler have?
    I went with Zeal, Determination, Confidence, Idealism, & Wit.

To my fellow Brawlers,
    happy fisting!
    Last edited by beerburglar; May 11 2022 at 11:30 AM.

Just into Lothlorien now and for a lore nerd like myself its a very guilty pleasure!

I rather like being able to wade into groups of orange and red mobs and come out the other side with a grin.

Am I right to be prioritising Crit rating and +chance > Phys mastery >Might > Vitality? Landing a devastate and taking out trolls with one punch is very satisfying, as is dev crit with a thrown beer mug.

All slightly silly perhaps, but its meant to be fun as long as its not at the expense of others. What have folk found to be a viable end game instance and raid slot?
    Mithithil Ithryndi

Quote Originally Posted by shoreless View Post
    Just wanted to add my two cents and say to the devs, and the community, that I am so enjoying my Brawler experience.

But, again, Brawler is just stupid fun. I’ve never been so invested in the minutia of a class before and I think this is because I’m so enamored with its silliness. I feel motivated to dig into the tooltips, learn more, even write a guide.
    (1) I just started leveling my Brawler (waited until I could purchase with Lotro Points) and wow it's a blast. My Beorning and especially my Champion can take a beating while mowing through content. Brawler? Arguably easier than Champion. One key difference becoming proficient with how skills combine to generate stronger results (typically damage). By level 32 my Brawler has taken maybe two morale pots. Once while soloing group content in Nan Wathren. Four elite mobs at once? Yeah that got weird for a moment.

(2) Your Google Docs skillz are impressive. I used Google apps for more than a year and never got past black text on white background. Nice work.
    Last edited by DarthKeryx; Jul 21 2022 at 12:53 PM.
    Ngaemond 140 Cpt | Ngeowyn 140 Wrd | Ngali 140 Ch | Ngorbadoc 140 Hnt | Ngollwydha Brg 140 | Ngureth 140 Lm | Ngoin 140 Min | | Ngori 140 Rk | Ngeorn 140 Beor | Ngurin 140 Grd | Ngalin 140 Br
    Arkenstone (formerly Windfola)

Some month ago I said that I never will play a melee again. But then I began to play a brawler and now I must say: fantastic.
    I have a lot of fun with this class and can say: Good job, SSG!

I don't get it, I think the brawler is very fun, but suffers way too much from downtime. I does not have the self-heal abilities my warden, beorning, guard and cappie have. Yet he's supposed to be able to tank. I tried to run through the Barrow Downs 2 levels above the mobs as I wanted to get 'Executioner of the Wicked', yet I stood no chance whatsoever vs. Brizshel, which was just a breeze on my Beorning, Cappie and Guard (warden not so much). I have to wait for morale to rise again after every pull of 2 signature mobs.

I'm a metalsmoth and have the entire lvl 20 set of heavy armour, some of it teal/crit even.
    The only heals I know of are 'Weather Blows' which is a 35% heal and 'Joy of Battle - Heal', which is 3% per hit.
    These 2 cannot keep my heamth up the way my beorning, warden and cappie heal themselves and the guard has an easier time keeping it's health up through yellow line.

Based on the above replies I'm guessing I'm doing something very wrong here, or perhaps it's due to me playing on Treebeard and Brawlers being very 'bursty' at the expense of sustained dps.
    Anyone wanna tell me what i'm doing wrong?

Edit: so I played him again.. did they get buffed recently? I'm having no issues whatsoever anymore. Did the Gundabad missions with 3 on-lvl signature mobs at once, while on deadly and did not break a sweat. I seem to remember having had a much harder time in the Barrow Downs.. odd.
    Last edited by Cambruyn; Jul 14 2022 at 03:25 PM.

@OP glad you liked this new class.

Just tried Brawler myself... not impressed... "meh" sums it up for me personally.

I will be sticking with sword/shield/axe/spear/bow/hammer/mace/etc. classes, these "feel" like Middle Earth to me.

glad you like Brawler though. enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mithithil View Post

I rather like being able to wade into groups of orange and red mobs and come out the other side with a grin.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthKeryx View Post

By level 32 my Brawler has taken maybe two morale pots.
    Yeah the Brawler is a blast and at least at lower levels seems unstoppable. Rarely need any consumables like pots and can take on mobs 5+ levels above. Heck, I one-shotted a target 7 levels above my Brawler with a setup skill yesterday.

I'm only level 37 but I haven't had this much fun with a new toon in a decade!
    "Never argue with a fool, it's difficult to tell the difference"