We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

[Discussion] Paladin Build?

I was at work tonight and had this thought for a Captain but with a paladin style from Warcrack... I haven't played that game in years so I dunno what it's like now, but it was one of my fave classes. I know we can do pretty much everything that Retribution, Holy and... that tank spec can do. (2h, heal, and sword and board) But any ideas on what sort of talent specs they would have? We could even do a Warhammer (mmo) style warpriest with shield and hammer - at least thematically, though it wouldn't be nearly as fun as my rosey nostalgia-glasses makes me think it was lol.

I guess it depends on what one's concept is of a paladin. Per Wikipedia, The Paladins (or Twelve Peers) are twelve fictional knights of legend, the foremost members of Charlemagne's court in the 8th century. One of my heralds is even named 'Roland' and another named 'Charlemagne' in honor of the 12 knights of Charlemagne. This concept was eventually codified in Dungeons and Dragons as a 'holy' warrior.

I've been heavily influenced by the D&D concept of a paladin. So to my way of thinking, I tend to enhance the blue line 'Hands of Healing' build in LotRO. It has not proven to be a strong Captain build but I still like the concept.
    I have placed enough points into Lead the Charge and Leader of Men to obtain all three marks and to obtain Threatening Shout but Hands of Healing is capped.

I'm not sure LotRO has a build that exemplifies a 'paladin' class in the traditional sense of a 'holy' warrior since there are no deities in LotRO.

Well holy in mmos usually means "healer" so that's not really an issue. And I was going for the game version of paladin, not historic, since I mentioned warcraft in my OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxmaiden14 View Post
    I was at work tonight and had this thought for a Captain but with a paladin style from Warcrack... I haven't played that game in years so I dunno what it's like now, but it was one of my fave classes. I know we can do pretty much everything that Retribution, Holy and... that tank spec can do. (2h, heal, and sword and board) But any ideas on what sort of talent specs they would have? We could even do a Warhammer (mmo) style warpriest with shield and hammer - at least thematically, though it wouldn't be nearly as fun as my rosey nostalgia-glasses makes me think it was lol.
    Hmmm, think of each spec for Captains as this: Hand of Healing (Holy), Lead the Charge (Retribution), Leader of Men (Protection)

I know the guy who works, or worked, on LotroHQ isn't playing as much, but he does update it as it shows he's updated it to the current stuff, including Yondershire. I know he has writeups for Red and Yellow Line Captains on there if you want to have a look and see what he's talking about.

The only paladin I want in LOTRO is Thain Paladin Took.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxmaiden14 View Post
    Blue captains with shield and weapon can be very sturdy by being able to heal through the damage they take, I used to solo some roving threats when Gondor was the meta. Mind you, it did take like half an hour. Just... there is sadly zero mechanic to promote shield use. The sole function of the shield is the extra stats, and blocking when it's relevant. The same was true for champions, and at some point they removed shields from the Champion.

Rather, for captains I would like to see shield based response skills that are tied to heals. I guess in that, the Warden is able to fill that role, but... just for him/herself, with the exception of Conviction.

What could be a very quick and neat solution is a new skill, that is the shield equivalent of 'sure strike'. Reducing cooldown of battle shout or maybe even turning battle shout into an aoe heal. Another idea could be that such a shield skill reduces the cooldown of rallying cry.

In my blue captain experience, while solo, I find blue captain survivability was good against melee bosses, but in team fights, it's not always convenient to position next to the tank. Suddenly then you realize, you're not nearly as tanky. You're a minstrel with armor upgrade.

Yeah... as I started to want to enjoy more sword and board playstyle, eventually I left the captain to make a Guardian.