We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,927

    House transfer other character/or/class change. ( or both )

    So, I've came to a problem,
    I have a character for roleplay, he's great. He owns a house. ( 2 infact standard, premium, and a kin house ) However, He's a Warden. I don't do well with Wardens, it doesnt match my playstyle. I find myself just button mashing. When the valars were awarded to us, I though " great, I will reroll and valar!" However, I cannot.
    If I did so, I'd lose a kinhouse, a standard house, and a premium house.
    A solution to this would be to allow us to change classes, or, allow us to transfer the home to another character on the account, and re-roll and valar.
    This has been something I've wanted to do for htis character for a few years.

    If the issue is traits, ( which someone told me was part of the reason we cannot class change ) then perhaps just set them to zero and give us a handful of those trait point things, like you get with a valar?

    Either way, if I could class change, or if I could transfer the house, so I could reroll and valar, I'd be fine.
    Hoping that something could be done.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    734
    Well unless you only have 1 character slot I'm not sure what the problem is.

    Normal housing and I'm guessing Premium housing too is really an account house, not just that character. So all your characters automatically have access, can add furnishings and use the storage chests etc.... You'd have to add your alt into your Kinship I'm sure to have access to the Kin house.

    With that out of the way, just keep your Warden as a crafting alt and play your new character.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,927
    Quote Originally Posted by Nebless View Post
    Well unless you only have 1 character slot I'm not sure what the problem is.

    Normal housing and I'm guessing Premium housing too is really an account house, not just that character. So all your characters automatically have access, can add furnishings and use the storage chests etc.... You'd have to add your alt into your Kinship I'm sure to have access to the Kin house.

    With that out of the way, just keep your Warden as a crafting alt and play your new character.
    The problem is, I paid a lot to buy premium housing, I have owned the kin house, and the regular house, for years.
    The Issue is rerolling the house owner. If you reroll you LOSE the homes.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,696
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoppa_Joel View Post
    The problem is, I paid a lot to buy premium housing, I have owned the kin house, and the regular house, for years.
    The Issue is rerolling the house owner. If you reroll you LOSE the homes.
    I didn't think having the text "Home of X" appear at the top to be such a big deal. Every character has access to everything. The premium port automatically selects the last house you visited. You can choose the primary residence for those inside the kinship. If it really matters that much, you can also sell it and re-buy it for... around 75-90% refund the last time I checked.

    It is a good suggestion. This isn't like the one asking to sell houses to other people. It is simply asking to change the text that appears over the house. But it is one of those cases where if it was really easy to do they would have done it already. I fear there might be some complex code that is preventing them from doing it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,927
    Quote Originally Posted by WeirdJedi View Post
    I didn't think having the text "Home of X" appear at the top to be such a big deal. Every character has access to everything. The premium port automatically selects the last house you visited. You can choose the primary residence for those inside the kinship. If it really matters that much, you can also sell it and re-buy it for... around 75-90% refund the last time I checked.

    It is a good suggestion. This isn't like the one asking to sell houses to other people. It is simply asking to change the text that appears over the house. But it is one of those cases where if it was really easy to do they would have done it already. I fear there might be some complex code that is preventing them from doing it.
    You are not understanding this situation I think,
    this isn't about text.
    If the character that bought the house, is deleted, the house is gone. The realworld money you spent for that premium house, would be refunded in a lower percent, and there is the chance someone else will come in and buy the property you 'abandoned' on a re-roll while you wait for the random timer.
    It can be randome from a few minutes to hours after abandoning.

    You no longer own it is the issue.
    This has nothing at all with choosing primary resident if the character that bought the house, is deleted.
    That is the issue i am bringing up.
    That is what this is about.
    If we have the ability to transfer ownership to another existing character then all is good.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    269
    Transfer is really the best answer. I've never understood why I can't transfer house ownership to another character on the account. I suppose there may be some weird internal hooks, but, other than level, it certainly appears to be nothing more than which name owns the house. If Raninia is watching, please add this to the hopeful list.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,696
    Hmm. I guess the whole picture is pretty confusing to me. I figured a person who role-played a character would keep the class attached to their persona. You not only played it long enough to attach a bunch of houses to their name but you only decided after a few years that you want him as a different class. Normally someone would just create a whole new character and keep the old one as they are. Make it out as his brother or something. But you want to go so far as to delete that character and create another one with the exact same name.

    We just got race changes like a couple years ago... and even then there are stipulations. I highly doubt a class change is going to happen. Too many things are attached. I guess I was too distracted when you said you would lose your kinship, which is easily avoidable by passing it to someone else. To me, the only thing that makes a difference is the name on the house. But you are right, it is attached much more deeper to a specific character. I believe that is in the event of wanting to transfer that character to another server.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,927
    Quote Originally Posted by WeirdJedi View Post
    Hmm. I guess the whole picture is pretty confusing to me. I figured a person who role-played a character would keep the class attached to their persona. You not only played it long enough to attach a bunch of houses to their name but you only decided after a few years that you want him as a different class. Normally someone would just create a whole new character and keep the old one as they are. Make it out as his brother or something. But you want to go so far as to delete that character and create another one with the exact same name.

    We just got race changes like a couple years ago... and even then there are stipulations. I highly doubt a class change is going to happen. Too many things are attached. I guess I was too distracted when you said you would lose your kinship, which is easily avoidable by passing it to someone else. To me, the only thing that makes a difference is the name on the house. But you are right, it is attached much more deeper to a specific character. I believe that is in the event of wanting to transfer that character to another server.
    You seem to be making a lot of assumptions here, sorry.
    My character Oloric, a hobbit barkeep, has a kinhouse called the Ward End, is is his tavern. I made the "new class available" at the time of Warden, I didn't have options really for much else. He's barely level 50 and was the first Warden I created after they were released. I had high hopes, but i'd play him a bit, and "drop him" for play, because of the mechanics of Warden. So I have never liked Warden as a class to play. I had created the kinhouse when I made him ( got him to level 9 ) I bought premium housing with that character, too when it came out.

    So, I am not wanting to 'change the roleplay of my character' I want to lose the horrible element of a deign other people may enjoy, but I frankly do not.
    Deleting a 'bad build' isn't possible, because I cannot transfer ownership of the house to another character. I cannot even delete said character because it says " you must first abandon your home to delete this character."
    That is poor design, for whatever reason a player may want to re-roll, rebuild, the options need 'fixing.'
    Transferring ownership of "Oloric's house" to another character on my account, should be a simple function to allow me to re-roll, or delete, or whatever.

    No need to continue this conversation because I don't think you understand the situation, ( or want to, ) I think you just want to argue. I am not up for it. I had a request for a solution. Not a request for an argument on roleplay.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    734
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoppa_Joel View Post
    The Issue is rerolling the house owner. If you reroll you LOSE the homes.
    I don't understand why you think you need to delete the character that owns the homes, unless it's the name you want to carry over to a new character?

    If it's the name that's important, than yes you'll lose your stuff.

    If you don't mind your new character having a different name than don't delete your current, just roll a new character. It's not like you have to ever do anything ever again with your Hobbit Warden he'll just be the character the housing is assigned to. Nothings stopping you from RPing a new character that lives in those homes.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,016
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoppa_Joel View Post

    So, I am not wanting to 'change the roleplay of my character' I want to lose the horrible element of a deign other people may enjoy, but I frankly do not.
    Deleting a 'bad build' isn't possible, because I cannot transfer ownership of the house to another character. I cannot even delete said character because it says " you must first abandon your home to delete this character."
    That is poor design, for whatever reason a player may want to re-roll, rebuild, the options need 'fixing.'
    Transferring ownership of "Oloric's house" to another character on my account, should be a simple function to allow me to re-roll, or delete, or whatever.

    No need to continue this conversation because I don't think you understand the situation, ( or want to, ) I think you just want to argue. I am not up for it. I had a request for a solution. Not a request for an argument on roleplay.
    I do understand what you mean. You don't want to have to abandon a house just coz its linked to a character you wanna delete. After all, houses are account-wide.. it shouldn't be impossible to do what you're asking. I've never had to go thru this myself, but I certainly hope I never have to. I'm very careful with the characters I use to buy homes just due to the issue you've described here. It's a constraint that most players may not care about or even be aware of, but it'd be a nice QoL change.
    Last edited by Laurelinarien; May 17 2022 at 02:16 PM. Reason: ugly typo!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,927
    Seriously, If someone asks for a feature that woudl improve the game. Why do people want to come here and reply with a " I don't understand why..." and " Yeah you should have..."
    etc.
    This is something that I am hoping, to be fixed thats all I am not asking for a miracle I am asking for the house to be transferable within my own account to another character within my own account.
    The why, that should not be the issue of why I want the feature that woudl help hundreds of folks that may have hte same need now or in future of the game.
    So yeah, I am really done replying.
    I honestly hoped nice folks woudl get behind the request with understanding, and kindness, rather than raking me over the coals for making the mistake of trying a new character 10 years ago ( or however long it was wardens first came out ) after my stroke in 2015, I have consistently had trouble with certain things, there is that enough for you? I don't care for wardens because they are extremly difficult for me now.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,927
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurelinarien View Post
    I do understand what you mean. You don't want to have to abandon a house just coz its linked to a character you wanna delete. After all, houses are account-wide.. it shouldn't be impossible to do what you're asking. I've never had to go thru this myself, but I certainly hope I never have to. I'm very careful with the characters I use to buy homes just due to the issue you've described here. It's a constrait that most players may not care about or even be aware of, but it'd be a nice QoL change.
    thank you

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    734
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoppa_Joel View Post
    Seriously, If someone asks for a feature that would improve the game. Why do people want to come here and reply with a " I don't understand why..."
    They ask to better understand why you'd want that feature and if it's a good enough reason for them to get behind. Just because you think it might be good, others won't necessarily without some background. Plus as to your comment 'this would help hundreds of others', well in all my years of playing and watching the forum this is the first time I've seen a request like this so it might not be as big a problem as you think.

    Some things you don't have to explain, others you do. A good suggestion will have supporting reasons for and frankly you've come back pretty negative when others ask to try and understand your situation. All I've gotten from your posts is I never want to see that character ever again, but I don't want to lose my housing and if that's correct than just say so.

    Well the problem is 'would it improve the game'? Or is it just something extra added onto an existing feature that already exists in the game and thus might not be needed. To wit: Houses are for the entire account, so who 'owns' it is pretty much a moot point.

    Yes if you only have 1 character slot or you want to reuse the name of the existing character on a new character than sure I think all of us could see the reasoning behind that. But just because you don't like Warden anymore ....., well my first alt that was a champion and my 4th that was a minstrel that I didn't like their play style anymore after having gotten them up to 43 and 30. Now all they are are crafting toons that never leave Thorin's Hall, but at no point have I felt the need to delete them.

    And no one here has 'raked you over the coals', only asked questions or pointed out ways around your problem without deleting your warden and losing the houses.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,696
    I'm with Nebless in saying that I perhaps have never heard of this being a problem before. I even said that it was a good suggestion! But there are people, like myself, that like to give you suggestions or opinions on how to workaround the current problem, because we've seen cases where a solution never comes. There was the fallacy of losing your kinship. The issue comes up because you want to delete a character. And I am fascinated whenever someone wants to delete a character. Free Accounts get you 2 character slots, now 4 with the Anniversary gifts, an additional 3 character slots with a premium account or 5 with VIP. Generally, people delete a character when they are trying to find the right class. You played it a long while, but still want to delete it. That's alright, especially if you really don't have any more character slots. But classes can change for the better. And you can send all your level 45 heritage runes that randomly drop in the world to that character for a better contribution rate when your primary character gets higher in level.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    720
    I like the idea of a house transfer.
    Not only for roleplayers make it sense, also for other reasons. I spend Mithril for the expansions on the storage, but if I quit and rebuy the house, all the spent Gold and money is lost.
    --------------------
    Founder of the kinship "Beschützer des Lichtes" Server Belegaer Beschützer des Lichtes
    Founder of the german newspaper for Lotro and Tolkien Funkenflug

  16. #16
    maartena's Avatar
    maartena is offline The Wise
    Drinks Coffee All Day
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    6,474
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoppa_Joel View Post
    If you reroll you LOSE the homes.
    Only if you really want the name. If you don't, you can just create a different character with another name, and play it. The house owner will only be displayed for a moment when you enter the property.

    I made a mess of my houses and got three houses (2 premium 1 normal) all owned by different toons on the same account, some of which I don't play no more.

    That said, making houses "account owned" may be the best option, where you can SELECT in the maintenance window which character name should be displayed as owner. Besides wanting to re-roll, I seem to switch "main" every other year or so, and sometimes people want to visit my house and they can't find it because the character owning it is old, not in a kin anymore, just used as a crafting alt..... and does not represent my current play. If the house was "account bound" with a drop down for "current owner", that would solve that issue. No need for a complicated transfer system, just change the owner of the house with a dropdown, delete the character, and move on.
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" and "In The Near Future™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the words, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™", "Near", and "Future" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    13,146
    You can change class. The option is in the store. Or maybe that's just race? I can't remember.
    Sometimes, no matter how hard you look, there is no best light.


  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,016
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnenna View Post
    You can change class. The option is in the store. Or maybe that's just race? I can't remember.
    Yea it's just race (male-female option iirc).. can't change class

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    143
    I support this suggestion. The argument that folk have heard of this being an issue before really
    ignores the fact that there probably is not an insignificant number of folk who do not post this
    kind of thing on the forums.

    Frankly, I've not mentioned this before, yet have been annoyed by the fact that I cannot change
    ownership of my house... for quite a few years... and have not posted anything on the forums
    about it prior to seeing this thread.

    In my case, I bought housing of various kinds to try stuff out without really thinking about how
    the subtle nuances of maturing game-play patterns or in-game relationships might develop.
    What happened was that the highest level (but relatively low-level) character tended to buy
    the housing, but then over time I decided to use a different character as my "main" for
    purposes of more public relationships (I started out mostly just playing with my kids).

    In some cases, the character that bought the house is no longer played, or very infrequently
    played because partners it is in sync with quest-wise, do not play as often as I want to play.
    This means the house owner rarely is seen in the world. Who cares? Well, I do, and I don't
    see what's wrong with that. So what if it is mostly is a case of caring about the displayed
    owner's name? I'd rather the house be owned by the character more public audiences
    might know "me" by because of the way I play when I interact more with non-family
    characters. I don't really RP I suppose, but I do want my "landed" characters to be
    the ones with more "presence" in the game, and in that sense, I do RP in my own way.

    But, that isn't the only reason... I also am in a situation where a character that bought the
    house is of a particular class (I like at least one of each even if I'm not great at a class so
    I can at least slowly over years maybe grow into them). Since I rolled most characters
    before I knew where I was going as far as race/class/predominance-of-play-time,
    sometimes I'd like to delete a character and start over without paying for race change
    or whatever. I want to enough to pay in time regaining levels of the deleted character.
    I don't want to abandon my house to do it because that gets to be a pain redecorating,
    losing housing writs, or even taking the chance of losing the house plot that I have in a
    neighborhood that multiple accounts I interact with have homes in. I mean, even in
    terms of maintenance, the "owner" might not even be the character that pays for the
    house on a week-by-week basis. How dumb is that from an RP standpoint! OTOH,
    it makes a lot of sense to be able to bequeath a property to my own account and it
    seems really shortsighted to not allow such. I mean, kin's have a usurp option!

    I don't really see much point in criticizing the suggestion. It is a good one for certain
    situations which probably aren't issues that very mature, long-term players encounter
    because they have probably worked out all the details years ago. New players really
    don't have to think the same way old players do. I mean, it might cause some pain
    to kick against the goads of code limitations, but then maybe the devs should realize
    that just because something was accepted in the past, that it doesn't need to remain
    that way forever. Even if a change is hard, as the code morphs, it is conceivable to
    slowly work towards a more configurable game, even if it takes years to realize.

    A dev might not have the idea, so the player should suggest it. Whether it is doable
    is up to them, not up to other players that think it is a pointless suggestion. I mean,
    there are cases where maybe a newb doesn't understand something very important,
    and so a suggestion needs some challenge, but I don't see how that applies here,
    and assuming it does... well... has the same pitfalls as assuming anything before
    doing some reasonable discovery.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,927
    Quote Originally Posted by BRaymarK View Post
    I support this suggestion. The argument that folk have heard of this being an issue before really
    ignores the fact that there probably is not an insignificant number of folk who do not post this
    kind of thing on the forums.

    Frankly, I've not mentioned this before, yet have been annoyed by the fact that I cannot change
    ownership of my house... for quite a few years... and have not posted anything on the forums
    about it prior to seeing this thread.

    In my case, I bought housing of various kinds to try stuff out without really thinking about how
    the subtle nuances of maturing game-play patterns or in-game relationships might develop.
    What happened was that the highest level (but relatively low-level) character tended to buy
    the housing, but then over time I decided to use a different character as my "main" for
    purposes of more public relationships (I started out mostly just playing with my kids).

    In some cases, the character that bought the house is no longer played, or very infrequently
    played because partners it is in sync with quest-wise, do not play as often as I want to play.
    This means the house owner rarely is seen in the world. Who cares? Well, I do, and I don't
    see what's wrong with that. So what if it is mostly is a case of caring about the displayed
    owner's name? I'd rather the house be owned by the character more public audiences
    might know "me" by because of the way I play when I interact more with non-family
    characters. I don't really RP I suppose, but I do want my "landed" characters to be
    the ones with more "presence" in the game, and in that sense, I do RP in my own way.

    But, that isn't the only reason... I also am in a situation where a character that bought the
    house is of a particular class (I like at least one of each even if I'm not great at a class so
    I can at least slowly over years maybe grow into them). Since I rolled most characters
    before I knew where I was going as far as race/class/predominance-of-play-time,
    sometimes I'd like to delete a character and start over without paying for race change
    or whatever. I want to enough to pay in time regaining levels of the deleted character.
    I don't want to abandon my house to do it because that gets to be a pain redecorating,
    losing housing writs, or even taking the chance of losing the house plot that I have in a
    neighborhood that multiple accounts I interact with have homes in. I mean, even in
    terms of maintenance, the "owner" might not even be the character that pays for the
    house on a week-by-week basis. How dumb is that from an RP standpoint! OTOH,
    it makes a lot of sense to be able to bequeath a property to my own account and it
    seems really shortsighted to not allow such. I mean, kin's have a usurp option!

    I don't really see much point in criticizing the suggestion. It is a good one for certain
    situations which probably aren't issues that very mature, long-term players encounter
    because they have probably worked out all the details years ago. New players really
    don't have to think the same way old players do. I mean, it might cause some pain
    to kick against the goads of code limitations, but then maybe the devs should realize
    that just because something was accepted in the past, that it doesn't need to remain
    that way forever. Even if a change is hard, as the code morphs, it is conceivable to
    slowly work towards a more configurable game, even if it takes years to realize.

    A dev might not have the idea, so the player should suggest it. Whether it is doable
    is up to them, not up to other players that think it is a pointless suggestion. I mean,
    there are cases where maybe a newb doesn't understand something very important,
    and so a suggestion needs some challenge, but I don't see how that applies here,
    and assuming it does... well... has the same pitfalls as assuming anything before
    doing some reasonable discovery.
    thank you

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    639
    I agree with you, Hoppa. From a roleplay perspective, you get very attached to your characters and things like this situation are a pain. You don't want to /delete/ your character, since you're very attached to the /character/, not the class he plays currently. But you're stuck and I feel your pain.

    Aside from RP alts, I, too, have a couple of houses owned by characters I no longer play, because I don't care for the class I chose, yet can't delete due to this stipulation. So, I have a character slot being used up by a character I'm not playing only to avoid losing the house he owns.

    For anyone with limited character slots, this can be a big problem or else they'll have to buy another character slot for the class/race/character they believe they actually /will/ want to play.

    Having one account limited to being able to own one (classic) house but then not allowing all characters on that account to actually "own" the house has always been a silly decision, imho.

    If it's account owned, it should be... you know... /account/ owned.

    Some may believe otherwise, and that's fine. This is just my opinion and wanted to show support for your suggestion.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    301
    You could probably rename the warden to something else, then create a new character with the name you want and play him. The house's ownership will most probably be renamed (not "House of Oloric" but... say... "House of Olothric", but you can RP that it's his father's name or something).

    As for adding a feature to change the house's owner, it might be not so easy due to housing permissions. You can grant access to the members of your kinship, what if Character1 (currently the house's owner) belongs to Kinship1 and the other to Kinship2?

    Maybe the whole thing should be revamped, I always thought we needed a feature to grant access to the whole account, not asking "who to add" and typing don't-know-how-many alts.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    17

    Thumbs up

    I will 'sign' support for this thread, such a problem should be corrected

    The best answer would be to allow assigning 'ownership' of a house to another character on the same account, which i thought was already the case anyway, since you may only have one standard/deluxe house per account. I have been trying to change decoration with other characters, and perhaps this is why the changes do not stick.

    It sounds like the answer is to simply abandon the houses and forfeit the investment. Although, perhaps buying a new character slot is a better idea. One day you may decide to give Warden a try again.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2022
    Posts
    3
    I'll "sign" this one as well. It may indeed be a minor, unimportant thing for a lot of folks, but some players are more particular about the way they play, or present their characters to others. My boat is not as extreme as OP's, but I purchased my Rohan house on an impulse on a character that went on to become an alt. While having the "wrong" name pop up on Home of ____ is not much of a deal, it still irks me slightly when I visit. I would wholeheartedly support this for someone with more attachment to that character, whether it be because of RP reasons, or needing to reroll (and not wanting to keep the original), or whatever else.

    That being said, I also agree with another poster that perhaps having a way for the house to be associated at an account level might not be an awful idea (though undoubtedly a much larger change) given that housing ownership and restrictions are around the account.

    Definitely low on the totem pole but I'm sure it can slot in somewhere on the priority list when the team has some time, or some new engine enhancements present the opportunity.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload