We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnenna View Post
    There rests the point. The possibility is there, and it's a game of chance, with results that CAN put a player ahead.
    Sure you can get ahead if you're really lucky and beat the RNG on these items. SSG is still actively discouraging them being used this way when they could choose to make more money (and be shady as some would say). No one plays lootboxes to beat the RNG for gear, but they do get bragging rights if they happen to beat the house. No one does it because SSG penalizes you monetarily for trying. Unless you have a ton of cash to burn or no self-control that is.

Back to the OP... what exactly are we talking about here for "Limited Time"? How long do you have to get this pet? That's what would make it shady.

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysbroke View Post
    Only if you get the piece of gear you want. Otherwise you get to destroy it for substantially less embers. Which is more common.
    Still offering up main stat gear and discounting any of 3 builds you might have? Shields on an RK and the like? And LM Offhands that the pathetic used on main for years? Still giving both the currency you want and the one stuck at cap with no barter in sight? And now pets and costumes on your ever growing Panini Cards.

Still run by Marketing/e-commerce rather than people with knowledge of the game?

If you are merely trawling for bottom feeders you'll never be in the game of Blue Marlin game fishing of "competitors".

Quote Originally Posted by Arnenna View Post
    Please don't make wild guesses about my game activity. I doubt you'd get the right forest, let alone the right tree.

If you feel that the game itself is so unethical, maybe you shouldn't play it. I at least, don't play the part that I find unethical. It's difficult to understand someone screaming that's unethical - whilst they are doing it.

Nobody has their eyes wide open when opening a lootbox. They are designed around chance. They do not know what they will get, or how much they will have to pay trying to get what they are trying to buy.

Word mincing, in the context I used it = trying to detract valid opinion from the lootbox opinion by deviating to something else.
    You cant debate anything without constant little jabs and personal attacks, can you?
    You also apparently cant even follow any argument, discussion.

You repeatedly claimed it is gambling, where some of us have explained repeatedly to you that judges have repeatedly ruled it isnt.
    Legally it isnt seen as gambling, so whatever someone on a mb says has no importance whatsoever.

I am not saying the game is unethical, but following your logic it is, and yet here you are.
    Anyway, this discussionis useless, if you dont like lootboxes dont buy them, while those of us that
    do like them, use them.
    Whine away, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Fadil View Post
    Anyway, this discussionis useless, if you dont like lootboxes dont buy them, while those of us that
    do like them, use them.
    Whine away, I guess.

I can't speak for everyone in this thread but I am not arguing for SSG to eliminate lootboxes. If players like you want to buy keys to open lootboxes, then I'm glad that option is available to you. However, what I have a problem with is lootboxes being the ONLY way to acquire certain items. That means that if there is something a player really wants, they could potentially spend hundreds of dollars and still not acquire it. That is a trend that I do not want to see continue, and I think it's important for those of us who feel that way to be able to express our opinion here.

I will be really upset if we no longer get new cosmetic items added to the rotating figment vendors for barter, and those cosmetics are instead offered as time limited items in lootboxes alone. I fear that is the direction SSG is headed, and I think they need to know that such changes will alienate players like me who will never purchase keys (but will purchase items directly from the LOTRO store).

Everyone, please don't give SSG a reason to lock this thread by starting to direct your frustrations at other posters. I think this is an important topic and this thread needs to stay open.

Quote Originally Posted by Strider5548 View Post
    In fact, my YTD 2022 spend on LOTRO is over $1,000 at this point across multiple accounts.
    Fascinating that you think you are anything but part of the very problem you're complaining about. This is a laughable thread.
    Pretentious Latin proverb

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysbroke View Post
    Sure you can get ahead if you're really lucky and beat the RNG on these items. SSG is still actively discouraging them being used this way when they could choose to make more money (and be shady as some would say). No one plays lootboxes to beat the RNG for gear, but they do get bragging rights if they happen to beat the house. No one does it because SSG penalizes you monetarily for trying. Unless you have a ton of cash to burn or no self-control that is.

Back to the OP... what exactly are we talking about here for "Limited Time"? How long do you have to get this pet? That's what would make it shady.
    It's all shady.
    Sometimes, no matter how hard you look, there is no best light.

More under orders to have loot boxes in the game but:

Weighed under by the company pathology of concealment, poor communication and a dearth of taking responsibility.
    Rewards that include capping currencies that has players waste currency or stop using them.
    Contributors that are unaware that main stat gear is just another disappointment to further use. (As in the game.)
    No break-down of all contents and their drop chances.
    What info that was placed in an "Article" just a confused, un-updated and mostly lost in the bowels of lotro.com (like much else) without the means to search and find it readily, as yet?

Loose the filler craft mats, keep junk out of them. And key, remove the currency conflict with a different box one weighted for game (ember/mote) one for fluff (figs.) With obviously distinguishing icons. Even the variable amounts hampers their use with the danger of over capping. Just set it to the average now, rounded up so we know when to stop and deal with the currencies.

Get the tech guys involved to present a resource on the site that with a char level input presents all the possibilities for the current in the game boxes, chances and all.

Then we can make an informed decision.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    But like much else slapdash seems to be the bar. They are more an embarrassment you have to provide rather than actually make them work for you and a waste of resources having to channel us into using them all the frigging time.

I kinda hope those unavailable pets will be added to the figment barterer later - maybe in a year. Currently we've got the vendor rotated but there's nothing new to buy? Maybe they will move the items to the vendor after introducing Another Updated Lootbox with a fireworks-laden eagle pet... or nazgul pet... or whatever
    Same with the reward track, maybe one-char-only pets will appear someday at seasonal barterers or Curator.

But, after we've been suddenly, on last minute notice, stripped of rep accelerators, I don't have high hopes for both.

Quote Originally Posted by LadySelene View Post
    But, after we've been suddenly, on last minute notice, stripped of rep accelerators, I don't have high hopes for both.
    Vol. II. Book 9. Chapter 10: The 'Exchange'

Context:
    The gold-laden host of paying players continue to traverse the corrupted heart of SSG's Murkydeals.

Largelag: 'There has been a great deal of activity, both behind closed doors at SSG and from our recent 15th Anniversary, <name>. By now the playerbase is surely aware of our dual nature of giving and taking; do they suspect any of our real purposes, I wonder? We have started a great monetisation offensive, true; but do they suspect that our victory comes from drawing their eyes to a point of our choosing, rather than theirs?
    'I will return to the Blue Names at once. It is to be hoped that we have not alarmed the playerbase overmuch, and we will continue to catch them unaware in all respects.'

Oh my, that's hilarious.
    Even at those troubled times, with darkness approaching from all sides, hearts of Free Peoples don't give up on hope and smile

Quote Originally Posted by Fadil View Post
    You cant debate anything without constant little jabs and personal attacks, can you?
    You also apparently cant even follow any argument, discussion.

You repeatedly claimed it is gambling, where some of us have explained repeatedly to you that judges have repeatedly ruled it isnt.
    Legally it isnt seen as gambling, so whatever someone on a mb says has no importance whatsoever.

I am not saying the game is unethical, but following your logic it is, and yet here you are.
    do like them, use them.
    Whine away, I guess.

The only person using personal attacks is you. You've even ended this post I quoted with one. I concurred back two pages ago that it isn't legally classed as gambling, however, that doesn't change my opinion of them due to the chance tactics built into them. There is another simple concept you could adopt here, if you like lootboxes, use them, while those of us that don't like them will express our opinions on the forum about them, without being called whiners or others taking wild and inaccurate guesses at our game activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Ketriana View Post
    I can't speak for everyone in this thread but I am not arguing for SSG to eliminate lootboxes. If players like you want to buy keys to open lootboxes, then I'm glad that option is available to you. However, what I have a problem with is lootboxes being the ONLY way to acquire certain items. That means that if there is something a player really wants, they could potentially spend hundreds of dollars and still not acquire it. That is a trend that I do not want to see continue, and I think it's important for those of us who feel that way to be able to express our opinion here.
    This right here. The inclusion of time limited, unique items, being exclusive to lootboxes is a move SSG have made to try to get as many players as possible to buy into the key/lootbox theme.

They should focus on the players that enjoy that theme rather than try funnelling all players towards it. Those that enjoy opening them, will continue to open them.

Those that are opposed to the lootbox theme, will never open them, no matter what they put inside them. The approach of "you can only get this by opening a lootbox," isn't going to miraculously make them change their minds, they are just going to get peeved.

So this theme makes money, apparently, but it doesn't make money off the players that are opposed to it, and it never will. They don't buy keys. Not because they cannot afford them, and not because they do not want to support the game, but because they are totally against that gaming mechanic by principle.

So concentrate on the players that are happy with it. Those that are happy to take a gamble on what they may win from the box (gamble, as in take a chance. Expressing - not legal gambling for those that fail to understand that the word "gamble" has more than one context") without annoying everyone else.

Add those time limited unique rewards for short periods of time to reel in those that buy keys, to buy more keys in the time available. Then, later, put the items at the barter. Treat them like they do expansions. Want a new expansion at launch? Pay for it with real money. If you don't agree with having to pay money for it, buy it for points 6 months later.

Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign50 View Post
    Vol. II. Book 9. Chapter 10: The 'Exchange'

Context:
    The gold-laden host of paying players continue to traverse the corrupted heart of SSG's Murkydeals.

Largelag: 'There has been a great deal of activity, both behind closed doors at SSG and from our recent 15th Anniversary, <name>. By now the playerbase is surely aware of our dual nature of giving and taking; do they suspect any of our real purposes, I wonder? We have started a great monetisation offensive, true; but do they suspect that our victory comes from drawing their eyes to a point of our choosing, rather than theirs?
    'I will return to the Blue Names at once. It is to be hoped that we have not alarmed the playerbase overmuch, and we will continue to catch them unaware in all respects.'
    This made me chuckle.

Have a nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by LadySelene View Post
    I kinda hope those unavailable pets will be added to the figment barterer later - maybe in a year. Currently we've got the vendor rotated but there's nothing new to buy? Maybe they will move the items to the vendor after introducing Another Updated Lootbox with a fireworks-laden eagle pet... or nazgul pet... or whatever
    Same with the reward track, maybe one-char-only pets will appear someday at seasonal barterers or Curator.

Neither do I. Still waiting on the "retired" special hobbit gifts in the store or a barter/vendor.

As for the reward track pets, realizing that LI intro needs to be done which excludes low level characters and it also depends on the questing area (quested through most of Eregion and didn't even get one full level on the track) to put the donkey at the end is exaggerating. Any fluff in the reward track should be in the first 50 levels, not the last. This is LI reward track where I understand the restrictions for, not fluff reward track which should be doable by everybody. It's not only alts who miss out on the pet it's the characters who haven't made it to Moria as well. What at one time only impacted the character now impacts the whole account as if they don't want us to start new characters.
    Last edited by wispsong; May 29 2022 at 09:06 AM.

It lowers standards to have gambling boxes. Make the stuff in the boxes just random stuff across all tiers.

If you go as far as to put a lootbox only item in there then you are lowering your standards of what is acceptable. This is known as a 'slippery slope'. You could look back 'uphill' and see where you started down the 'dark path'.

But, just stop. Draw the line in the sand and go no further. This far and no further. Or back up a foot, draw the line again, "This far and no further." Then back up another foot, etc. (for those who don't remember, there is a bugs bunny cartoon like that)

So, IMO, it's fine. I figure, basically you should monetize everything, if you are thinking about profits. But maybe for the greater picture, where player satisfaction matters, then also think about the INTEGRITY of your profits. It's a balancing act. If maybe you go too far and unbalance the profit and player happiness balance beam, then scooch back a bit and try again.

I would look at the store for items that are MORE generally known as being p2w, like gear or gear upgrade materials, etc. and remove those. Pick some items to remove. Then you have a bit more 'balance' to be able to do other things in the store you aren't really sure about but want to try.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4