We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Need advice for cappy

Hi all. I have a level 11 Captain that I’m working on that is basically landscape and questing.

Are there any does or don’ts for playing a landscape solo Captain? For example which herald, skill color, virtues and so on. Right now she has a 2 H sword and the profession is armorer.

I’m just asking because I know absolutely nothing about this class.

Thanks in advance for any info!
    "Grandchildren are God's reward for not killing your children when you wanted to."

When equipping a class item, always go for a standard that buffs yourself. They revised the herald system so you don't need to equip armaments for cosmetic changes. Instead, visit your class trainer and buy some envelopes. Immediately barter back the envelopes for the different skills. Find a good name for your herald.

It can be fun getting the skirmish archer. This way, you can use landscape skirmish tokens and essentially have two archers firing behind you, once you get to the bottom of the red tree. Have an entourage of three people following you with a cosmetic pet. But know that for the benefit of not running into mobs and pulling everything the captain's archer sacrifices all the good stuff your normal herald uses. Your normal herald will "softly" taunt people, continuously heal you if he is engaged in battle, and provide the small buff aura. Get use to the pet commands. "Toggle Assist" functions differently than the others and will make him go after people and should be watched.

You can cast Telling Mark & Revealing Mark on an opponent without them being pulled. Noble Mark not only immediately does damage but requires you to stay in close proximity. Oathbreakers Shame is your super-ability, but it can only be cast once on a target every 3 minutes from any captain. You must be in combat to cast this ability.

Things get complicated when you are in a group with another captain. You can't cast shield-brother on the same targets. Since you both can cast Improved Motivating Speech, you might get confused when your buff doesn't show as active when another uses it. That ability and a couple of other things are raid-wide. While in a public instance, using these abilities - such as Haste or throwing your banners down - will go to all individuals inside or out of your group.

You will be able to throw your banner after you add maximum trait points to the ability. Rallying Cry and Routing Cry are more efficient and provide their "side-effects" only after you gain a Defeat Event. They will pop up with their own bar. But it might be a good idea to add Rallying Cry to your action bar so you can continuously use it if you decide to run away from a situation. It is your core self-heal, since Words of Courage can only be used on others.

A captain is the only class that can use a halberd. The animation is unique... and sort of looks weird... but it is something to consider. You must be wearing a halberd to use any halberd cosmetically. You don't have to worry about that small racial weapon bonus either since captains naturally gain +5 damage to halberds too.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidmeetHal View Post
    Hi all. I have a level 11 Captain that I’m working on that is basically landscape and questing.

Are there any does or don’ts for playing a landscape solo Captain? For example which herald, skill color, virtues and so on. Right now she has a 2 H sword and the profession is armorer.

Apart from don't, captains are painfully slow on landscape, just stick to red line, 2H Sword is fine, be prepared to be bored as you try to kill mobs 1 at a time, slowly, so slowly.
    Evernight - Walred (Champ), Walmur (RK), Walbert-2 (Cappy)

Much appreciated! Thanks!
    "Grandchildren are God's reward for not killing your children when you wanted to."

Quote Originally Posted by DavidmeetHal View Post

Do: experiment with different trait lines. Until you earn enough points to have good hybrid builds you’re stuck with one line at a time. Try them all out. If you have the spare points, unlock the 3rd trait line slot. I have 3 captains and all 3 swap lines regularly.

Don’t: get impatient. As others have mentioned, captains don’t dish out a ton of damage instantaneously. It’s easy to want to breeze through content, but take the time to learn which each skill does. That leads to the next one…

Do: learn the difference between battle-hardened and battle-readied. Depending on what your goal is, defense or offense, you’ll want to maintain the correct buff. There are some plugins that’ll help you monitor uptime on those.

Don’t: be afraid to challenge yourself. You may be surprised at the survivabilty of the class.

Do: enjoy mounted combat when you get to it. Captains are one of the few classes that transition well into that part of the game.

Don’t: forget about class consumables. Captains have a ton of class support items. Between banners, tonics, crests, and herald armaments, every little bit can help in a tough spot.

Do: ask questions. This class can perform many roles. It’s a lot to learn, but a fun class.

Quote Originally Posted by Swanee View Post
    Do: experiment with different trait lines. Until you earn enough points to have good hybrid builds you’re stuck with one line at a time. Try them all out. If you have the spare points, unlock the 3rd trait line slot. I have 3 captains and all 3 swap lines regularly.

Don’t: get impatient. As others have mentioned, captains don’t dish out a ton of damage instantaneously. It’s easy to want to breeze through content, but take the time to learn which each skill does. That leads to the next one…

Do: learn the difference between battle-hardened and battle-readied. Depending on what your goal is, defense or offense, you’ll want to maintain the correct buff. There are some plugins that’ll help you monitor uptime on those.

Don’t: be afraid to challenge yourself. You may be surprised at the survivabilty of the class.

Do: enjoy mounted combat when you get to it. Captains are one of the few classes that transition well into that part of the game.

Don’t: forget about class consumables. Captains have a ton of class support items. Between banners, tonics, crests, and herald armaments, every little bit can help in a tough spot.

Do: ask questions. This class can perform many roles. It’s a lot to learn, but a fun class.
    This was really informative, and I’m taking it very seriously. Thanks!