We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

New book - The Fall of Númenor: and Other Tales from the Second Age of Middle-earth

HarperCollins have announced a new book "The Fall of Númenor: and Other Tales from the Second Age of Middle-earth" which will be published in November this year. Edited by Brian Sibley (who wrote the BBC radio adaptation of LotR) and with illustrations by Alan Lee it collects all of Tolkien's writings on the 2nd Age "in an order and a style that works well for readers".

More details here - https://www.tolkiensociety.org/2022/06/new-tolkien-book-the-fall-of-numenor-to-be-published/

That’s really cool!
    "Grandchildren are God's reward for not killing your children when you wanted to."

Epic!!! Must... have it ... precious
    Rucagorn, The White Guardian - Portugal
    fellowshipguardians.guildlaunch.com/

Does sound nice.

The comment at the bottom cracked me up though:

"If you love Tolkien, or if you love the Amazon series, this book is for you."

If you love Tolkien OR if you love the Amazon series, LOL.

(And seriously, given what the material is like, it'll be way more for Tolkien fans than anyone who's come across it via the series).

From the way it reads I'm assuming it's just a new compilation of writings that have previously been released, alongside some new artwork. Will still pick it up probably for the collection, but unless I missed something it doesn't sound like there's going to be any new bits that we haven't come across yet. Could be nice to have it all laid out and arranged in an easy to access way. though Kind of like how The Fall of Gondolin was.

But it makes me wonder if there ever is really going to be a "last" "Tolkien" book. Or if there's always going to be some new way to arrange notes and writings so they can keep releasing stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaeneth View Post
    From the way it reads I'm assuming it's just a new compilation of writings that have previously been released, alongside some new artwork. Will still pick it up probably for the collection, but unless I missed something it doesn't sound like there's going to be any new bits that we haven't come across yet. Could be nice to have it all laid out and arranged in an easy to access way. though Kind of like how The Fall of Gondolin was.

But it makes me wonder if there ever is really going to be a "last" "Tolkien" book. Or if there's always going to be some new way to arrange notes and writings so they can keep releasing stuff.
    Yes, just a compiled version of stuff already available elsewhere I believe.

"Tolkien" has been its own little mini industry for quite a long time now, really. Lots of people making money out of it in various ways over the years since the books were published. Guess it will continue until people stop paying (both cash and attention).

Says the man who's just had "The Great Tales Never End" delivered today and has the Numenor one on pre-order.

it's nice to have all the stories compiled in a neat order, each in their own volume, plus Alan Lee makes AMAZING artwork, I'll buy the book just for that

Nice to have more stuff put together in one place, also here you can see preview of three drawings by Alan Lee New Tolkien book The Fall of Númenor Exclusive
    Pontin Level 140 Hobbit Burglar Leader of Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    other classes: Minstrel, Guardian, Captain, Hunter.

Taken many Screenshots of Middle-earth, Also a Moderator of the LotRO Community Discord server