We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Problem with Crossover on Mini Mac

Hi, I was able to get crossover running last fall following the directions on the forum and some help from Tralfazz. Everything was running smoothly until a black screen after a patch in April or May? and then I refreshed the bottles and it seemed to resolve. Well, I shut everything down and took the mini Mac to new location and tried to run it. No dice. Funny things were going on with Mouse when I tried to start it. After logging in, no loading screens, nothing. Refreshed bottles, shut down everything. Nothing. Took it back home and am still having the problems. I think I made things worse by deleting UserPreferences64.ini.bak file and trying to start with an old version of the Userpreferences.ini file at 32 bits, no direct x, etc. Still nothing. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.

Oh, and I also restarted all routers, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Gratefuldude View Post
    Hi, I was able to get crossover running last fall following the directions on the forum and some help from Tralfazz. Everything was running smoothly until a black screen after a patch in April or May? and then I refreshed the bottles and it seemed to resolve. Well, I shut everything down and took the mini Mac to new location and tried to run it. No dice. Funny things were going on with Mouse when I tried to start it. After logging in, no loading screens, nothing. Refreshed bottles, shut down everything. Nothing. Took it back home and am still having the problems. I think I made things worse by deleting UserPreferences64.ini.bak file and trying to start with an old version of the Userpreferences.ini file at 32 bits, no direct x, etc. Still nothing. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.
    Yeah, I would think it's an issue with that .ini file. I would delete (or rename) the old one and start the game without a file, to create a new fresh one. 32-bit is no longer supported, as far as I know. Perhaps Tralfazz will jump in here to make sure I know what I'm talking about?

I restarted with the out the .ini file and finally got it to start. HOWEVER, as soon as the launcher opens, my mouse is unusable and the game is stuck in full screen but the graphics display tiny. I can't do anything but quit out. At least it starts, I guess... I futzed with the display preferences in the .ini file but then it wouldn't start.

Ini files corruption ?

I had an issue a few weeks back where I couldn't get the game to run at all. Fixed it by deleting all 3 .ini files I had in the folder, that's UserPreferences, UserPreferences32 & UserPreferences64 & reloading the game.

However, since then I only have the UserPreferences,ini file showing even though I've toggled the 32& 64 bit option.

Yesterday the game just kept eating away at my core memory while I was playing to the tune of 3/4 Gb every 10 minutes triggerring the memory purge facility on my Imac. The game was also running slower & slower (took me nearlly 8 minutes to get from Bree to Thornley's worksite. Checking system manager I found multiple copies of winepreloader64 running & I had to use utilities to get rid off them & reset the permissions. Game ran reasonably smoothly after that, though I declined high res graphics.

On a side note, I can no longer access the in game store, apparantly a compiler for wine used by the game is incompatible with my version 6.2, game version requires wine 7.

As they said in the producers it's the beginning off the end for Mac users in LOTRO
    No King, No Law, Utopia!

Well, after 2 days of this, I just gave up and did a reinstall. I had to move the old .ini file out and it created a new one before it worked properly as it started with a black screen. Seems to be up and running now, although too annoyed to play. Funny how a shutdown and new location created this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Periadot View Post
    I had an issue a few weeks back where I couldn't get the game to run at all. Fixed it by deleting all 3 .ini files I had in the folder, that's UserPreferences, UserPreferences32 & UserPreferences64 & reloading the game.

However, since then I only have the UserPreferences,ini file showing even though I've toggled the 32& 64 bit option.
    That option was removed a patch or two ago. No more 32-bit support soon. Here's the patch note (from April): "We will begin the process of ending support for the 32-bit versions of the game client for The Lord of the Rings Online on May 18th, 2022. The 32-bit clients will continue to be supported until January 1st, 2023. In the meantime, some features may not work fully on the 32-bit clients. We recommend all players change their settings in the game launch to switch to the 64-bit game client. This is done by pressing the down arrow button at the top of the launcher, then selecting Options."

Gratefuldude, I'm glad you have resolved your issue. I know it was frustrating but I hope you'll get back to having fun in Middle-earth when your annoyance fades.

The problem was caused by the way SSG changed the way the game uses .ini files in the u33.0.5 patch which was released on 2022-05-25. Before that patch, the LOTRO Launcher application and the 32-bit client used UserPreferences.ini and the 64-bit client used UserPreferences64.ini. That patch eliminated UserPreferences64.ini, now all three application read from/write to UserPreferences.ini. And that is a good change! The problem was caused by SSG simply renaming UserPreferences64.ini to UserPreferences64.ini.bak and, for people who were using the 64-bit client, failing to copy the preferences used by the 64-bit client into UserPreferences.ini. This caused issues for a very large number of people, both Windows and Mac users. I addressed it at the time here, as well as in threads in PC Technical Support and in LOTRO General Discussion & Feedback:
    https://forums.lotro.com/forums/show...-Easy-fix-here

Yes, deleting that UserPreferences64.ini.bak file gave you a lot more work but the procedure you used at least got you back to the ability to successfully launch the game client. You'll need to redo all your in-game preferences and settings, other than that hassle you're all set.

Always keep backups! Move or rename files rather than deleting them unless you are 100% super-de-dooper sure you will never need it again!

-----

Periadot, have you tried this fix for the in-game store issue? It might help with your memory leak as well:
    https://forums.lotro.com/forums/show...-in-game-Store
    If that doesn't work for you, you should be able to go into your OPTIONS panel in-game and enable "open store in external browser". That won't solve your problem but it will work around some of it.

Having only a UserPreferences.ini file even when using the 64-bit client is normal now. See my response to Gratefuldude above for an explanation.

The high-rez graphics option won't have any effect on the issues you described, they are mostly higher-res flat images rather than anything related to 3D objects. The game does look better with the high-rez graphics, when you have the time I recommend installing them.

I see no reason why LOTRO won't continue to work just as well (and sometimes better!) on a Mac in Crossover as it does on an actual Windows box. SSG is withdrawing Mac support but there really hasn't been any Mac support for more than 2 years already so I don't even see this as a significant announcement. Unless some really major under the hood code changes occur which prevents the game from running in the version of WINE used by Crossover, there should not be any insurmountable problems in the near future. And I don't see any such changes on the near horizon.

-----

Bothketbog, excellent advice! With no UserPreferences64.ini.bak remaining for Gratefuldude to use to resolve his issue, the next easiest thing to do was to rename, move, or delete the UserPreferences.ini file just as you suggested. There are often issues getting a successful "first run" of LOTRO due to issues the client applications have with UHD/"retina" resolutions but most people manage to work through them by editing the line ScreenMode=FullScreenWindowed into the freshly-created UserPreferences.ini file or temporarily setting their Mac's output resolution to something ridiculously small.
    Last edited by Tralfazz; Jul 04 2022 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tralfazz View Post

Bothketbog, excellent advice! With no UserPreferences64.ini.bak remaining for Gratefuldude to use to resolve his issue, the next easiest thing to do was to rename, move, or delete the UserPreferences.ini file just as you suggested. There are often issues getting a successful "first run" of LOTRO due to issues the client applications have with UHD/"retina" resolutions but most people manage to work through them by editing the line ScreenMode=FullScreenWindowed into the freshly-created UserPreferences.ini file or temporarily setting their Mac's output resolution to something ridiculously small.
    I'm pretty sure that's a trick you taught me some time ago. Glad I told him the right thing.