We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Forced Taunts

Forced Taunts

I was reading a debate in world chat the other day where people were arguing whether forced taunts were unbreakable or not. Some people were asserting that forced taunts would always guarantee aggro for the full indicated duration unless another player cast their own forced taunt which would then cancel yours, other people were saying that if a hunter (for instance) landed a hard enough hit then he'd pull aggro regardless of how long the forced taunt had to run. Does anyone know which side of the argument is true, either through personal experience or from a blue name clarifying the true nature of forced taunts?

Quote Originally Posted by Langie View Post
    I was reading a debate in world chat the other day where people were arguing whether forced taunts were unbreakable or not. Some people were asserting that forced taunts would always guarantee aggro for the full indicated duration unless another player cast their own forced taunt which would then cancel yours, other people were saying that if a hunter (for instance) landed a hard enough hit then he'd pull aggro regardless of how long the forced taunt had to run. Does anyone know which side of the argument is true, either through personal experience or from a blue name clarifying the true nature of forced taunts?
    The second group doesn't seem to understand the word 'forced'. They likely assume a taunt of theirs is forced when it's not, or that the 5-10s elapses quicker than they realise and are just making an excuse for their bad tankplay.

War chant for example looks like a taunt, same for shield taunt (the latter even having taunt in the name). Both even has the overhead visual cues. But the tooltips do not say 'forced taunt', no effect of a taunt is displayed below the boss's vitals either. They only add to the guardian's aggro table at what used to be considerably high amounts. Forgive me if my terminology isn't accurate.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/222190000001ddbef/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

As far as I know, force taunts are not breakable by damage. However, there is one skill I know of that breaks them - could be more out there. Burglar's Diversion resets aggro. So if the tank taunts right in the beginning and a burglar deemed it necessary to use diversion for whatever reason, aggro will reset and the mob will turn to whoever generates most threat at that moment. Maybe that's where the impression that high damage could break force taunts comes from.
    Dobb - Hobbit Burglar
    Thar - Dwarf Guardian
    [DE-RP]Belegaer
    R.I.P [DE]Anduin
    Visit my YouTube-Channel!

Nothing breaks a force taunt except another force taunt or an enrage mechanic on the mob.

You currently have 1337 reputation point(s).

There is the rare occurrence of targets that are immune to Force Attacks (taunts). The only example that comes to mind is Gothmog at the very end of the Throne of the Dread Terror raid : a taunt would copy and multiply aggro but the Force Attack effect would not apply.
    Still the Force Attack is not broken, it just does not apply at all.
    Gabrediel, Original Challenger of Sarouman | Gabramir, Original Challenger of Gothmog

Unquale - Sirannon [FR]

Durchest can stack threat de-buffs of 100% on the Guard yet the Guard keeps aggro just spamming away with taunt, mindlessly.

There are mechanics that "stun" and remove the guard from the hit list until out of the stun.