We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

New / old returning player looking to run lower level (i.e. 50s Moria) instances to clear up backlog

Hello,

As a new / old returning player who has been gone for an inordinate length of time, were there any groups that fit this description? I thought I was ok to solo but having recently hit the 50s and now nearly at 58, I am running into an issue where I cannot do the instances and need a group -- however, given the length of time this game has been running I find almost no low levels doing much of anything and thus my quest log is now experiencing a bottleneck because of all the instancing quests in Moria.

I'm pretty quiet and honestly I find the general world chat to be a bit... clique-ish. Other people I've seen asking have been met with either silence or snark, which was rather discouraging.

Anyways, are there any groups or loosely associated pockets of lowbie friendly help that exist? I've tried the fellowing LFG window but I almost never see any groups in there, nevermind ones that are running lower level instances. Cheers and thank you in advance, for any helpful guidance.

I’m sorry you’ve had less than satisfactory experiences in /lff and /world on Landroval. It’s generally a very friendly place but Landy is “top heavy” – a large percentage of the active population is at or near level cap so grouping for lower level content can be tough if you’re not in a large and well organized kinship.

I have a bunch of alts on Landroval all in the 60-62 range and I’d be happy to group with you for 3-mans or skirmishes or nearly anything else you might like to do. Send a game mail to my main…
    Menhirion
    …with some dates and times so we can try to connect in-game where we can chat and schedule some play time together. I’m on the US east coast (NYC) so 10am-10pm EDT/server time is best for me. I do like to set things up in advance so I can arrange my work and other demands on my time around gaming windows.

If your account is VIP I can strongly recommend Treebeard where the kinship I’m in, Dances With Ents, is large, super friendly, has active toons at all levels (and lots at the current level cap of 65 of course), and will welcome you heartily. Send a game mail to my main toon there…
    Cugucharaphant
    …to set up a time so you can get a proper kinship invitation. If you’re just starting out on Treebeard I’d be happy to make a new toon just to play with you there if we can work out a schedule in advance.

There are quite a few slow leveling groups on Landroval, just read some of this particular sub-forum, cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tralfazz View Post
    I’m sorry you’ve had less than satisfactory experiences in /lff and /world on Landroval. It’s generally a very friendly place but Landy is “top heavy” – a large percentage of the active population is at or near level cap so grouping for lower level content can be tough if you’re not in a large and well organized kinship.

I have a bunch of alts on Landroval all in the 60-62 range and I’d be happy to group with you for 3-mans or skirmishes or nearly anything else you might like to do. Send a game mail to my main…
    Menhirion
    …with some dates and times so we can try to connect in-game where we can chat and schedule some play time together. I’m on the US east coast (NYC) so 10am-10pm EDT/server time is best for me. I do like to set things up in advance so I can arrange my work and other demands on my time around gaming windows.

If your account is VIP I can strongly recommend Treebeard where the kinship I’m in, Dances With Ents, is large, super friendly, has active toons at all levels (and lots at the current level cap of 65 of course), and will welcome you heartily. Send a game mail to my main toon there…
    Cugucharaphant
    …to set up a time so you can get a proper kinship invitation. If you’re just starting out on Treebeard I’d be happy to make a new toon just to play with you there if we can work out a schedule in advance.
    Wow, thank you Tralfazz! I am deliberately easing back in so I haven't subbed yet, likely once I hit 95 I will probably do so then. That's such a generous offer you made, but I'd feel guilty and uncomfortable knowing you were juggling things to accommodate the likes of me. If the guild you described on Treebeard existed on this server, I'd definitely look into it! Even just a loose association of people around the same level, cobbling together a group when there are enough people on, would be great.

I will still send along a message from my main but there is no pressure whatsoever. Just trying to unblock the bottleneck of instance quests (particularly Moria, which is where nearly all of them are currently) and I was hoping there might be others in the same situation wanting to clear them as well.

Stinky, as far as slow levelling groups go I haven't seen very many updated threads aside from the Club Eclair (is... is that named for the donut like sweet treat??) and I'm no RPer unfortunately so I wouldn't want to make a mess of that. I've even checked out some of the kin recruitment posts but unfortunately most of them are looking for max level characters, or otherwise higher level players and I wouldn't bring anything to the table for them as they want to raid etc. I'll keep an eye out but the search has been pretty fruitless, hence why I posted. I promise I tried to do my due diligence before posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Damarion View Post
    I'd feel guilty and uncomfortable knowing you were juggling things to accommodate the likes of me.
    Except for jumping in quickly to test some technical thing, all my playtime is scheduled in advance around the other demands on my time. It would be no trouble at all, but even if it were a little extra trouble it would be worth the effort.

The kinship in which my Landroval characters sit, Captains of Middle Earth, is full of very nice people but it is as top-heavy as the server itself plus it tends to be the most populated when I'm least likely to be on – the middle of my night – because many of the members are European. You would be welcome there but I don't think you'd be happy there. I can count the number of times I've played with these kinmates in the last two years on my fingers, not because they're unfriendly but because even my main is still only 97 and most of the kin members are looking for partners for level cap or near level cap content. Many have been around since game launch and I started playing in August 2020. We do have fun in kin chat, though, and spend a lot of time together at music events and other RP opportunities.

I'll look for your game mail later today!

I'd add that there are groups running instances and landscape content on-level across the level range on Landroval - just sometimes hard to find as they are in kins and don't advertise much. For example, I'm part of one group running Angmar instances on Sundays at 2 PM server at level. I was also part of a Moria instance group that has now "graduated". If you and Tralfazz are looking to run any Moria instances, let me know when and if available I'd be happy to join on my closest level-appropriate character.

I've been running my burglar through Moria lately, he's level 56 and will probably get a few more this weekend. If you see Twiggins on, send a tell and I'd be happy to chip in!

Sounds like there are some hidden pockets of lower level instance runners around after all! Pretty happy to hear it I will keep an eye out for you Twiggins, Chizbo, and of course Tralfazz -- I sent along a message, hopefully it wasn't too muddled. As far as your current guild Tralfazz, I understand. Lotro has international presence (even a very few Japanese players, whom I'd gladly play with as I can converse a bit in Japanese, reading and writing, and have enjoyed grouping and playing with Japanese players on other games as well but I haven't seen any on Landroval) and I kind of like that, to be honest, as an Asian player.

But again it's the level limits, people are pretty well set within their mains and don't often run their alts; at least that's the impression I have. I wish there was a method to organize a loosely knit circle without having for people to leave kinships etc. in order to run these instances, as it appears SSG will not be making any improvements to the fellowing LFG tool nor looking at cross server grouping.

Either way I will keep an eye out for you all. I don't know about you guys but I know my quest log is backed up and I'm having trouble clearing that bottleneck without anyone to group with.

***EDIT*** Just a quick follow up, ran through a few 3 man instances with Menhir / Tralfazz, was a great experience grouping with you Tralf! Very patient, kind, and a great player. Unfortunately we were crushed by one huge turtle boss in the waterworks without an intrepid tank and just my ###### hunter cannon fodder self, but it was fun regardless Looking forward to grouping up with Tralf and others again!

P.S. The latency was rather noticeable however; has it always been this bad? Tralf and I were teleporting around in the first instance and at least on my screen, he was doing the same in the second and third ones as well (thankfully to a lesser extent). Kind of a concern going forward, and disappointing that this is still an issue after so many years?
    Last edited by Damarion; Jul 22 2022 at 07:22 PM.

Just a quick follow up, ran through a few 3 man instances with Menhir / Tralfazz, was a great experience grouping with you Tralf! Very patient, kind, and a great player. Unfortunately we were crushed by one huge turtle boss in the waterworks without an intrepid tank and just my ###### hunter cannon fodder self, but it was fun regardless Looking forward to grouping up with Tralf and others again!

P.S. The latency was rather noticeable however; has it always been this bad? Tralf and I were teleporting around in the first instance and at least on my screen, he was doing the same in the second and third ones as well (thankfully to a lesser extent). Kind of a concern going forward, and disappointing that this is still an issue after so many years?
    I had a great time, too!

The lag in our first run was outrageous. Out of combat, everything was fine. The moment we entered combat, play changed from smooth to something between a stuttery slideshow and complete freezes that would last for 10 seconds at a time. Then right back to perfectly fine when combat ended. The other two runs exhibited a little lag now and then during combat but it was nothing compared to that first run: No stutters or freezes or rubberbanding of my toon, just a couple of little jumps from the mobs or your toon now and then. But it was not a good technical experience, a player experiencing LOTRO for the first time would have left with a very bad impression.

Hopefully Chiz and Vilan/Twiggins can join us tomorrow, Saturday the 23rd, at 7:00pm server time! And hopefully SSG will remember to feed the hamsters!

We're going to get together again on Monday 25 July at 7:00pm server time. Message to /tell Menhirion for an invitation to our group at that time. Level 55-65 is best but we'll accommodate anyone. I'll send a game mail reminder to Damarion/Lonnlarcan, Chizbo, and Vilan/Twiggins. Others are welcome!

We had a couple of nice sessions this past week!

One of my kinmates is planning to join us next time.

How is availability for Saturday at 8:00pm server time? I'll send an in-game mail to everyone.

Next get-together is Tuesday 02 August at 8:00pm server time.

Thanks for the runs! Plenty of quests and deeds cleared up and a fun change of pace. Unfortunately my schedule going forward isn't going to allow me on until midnight server time, barring last-minute changes. If anyone's around at that time, I'm happy to help out with stuff, but that's probably the best I can do for a while. I'll keep the rest of my Moria group quests in my log just in case though!

Quote Originally Posted by Vilan View Post
    Thanks for the runs! Plenty of quests and deeds cleared up and a fun change of pace. Unfortunately my schedule going forward isn't going to allow me on until midnight server time, barring last-minute changes. If anyone's around at that time, I'm happy to help out with stuff, but that's probably the best I can do for a while. I'll keep the rest of my Moria group quests in my log just in case though!
    Midnight server time is bed-time for me! Sorry, I'm on the US east coast and old. But I will not feel the least bit slighted if some of you put runs together without me at times that I'm unable to join. I'm pretty sure others play during times which are sleep time for me, either due to preference or European/Pacific time zone.

Last night we did The Forges of Khazad-dûm and The Dungeons of Dol Guldur. I only half-remembered Forges so it was a little chaotic but fun. I had never done Dungeons so we had to figure it out as we went along, also fun! We ran Dungeons twice since it's pretty quick and making a Nazgûl run away never gets old!

Our next get-together is Friday 05 August at 8:00pm server time. If you're reading this and can't play at that time, try to log in even for just a few minutes to chat with the group and set up another date and time that will work with your life's schedule.

Wednesday 10 August, 8:00pm Server Time

Our next get-together is scheduled for Wednesday 10 August at 8:00pm server time.

If you see this and would like to join us, log in to Landroval at that time and send a /tell to:
    Menhirion
    (that's me)

Sorry guys, latency is making it pretty difficult to run through stuff for me, especially at peak times. I've tried quite a few things on my end but I still get the spikes and rubber banding with my character at times, even if it's just me soloing as per usual. Really kind of turning me off at the moment! I will try and make it but honestly I'm not sure -- a combination of that and probably some dissatisfaction with this and a few other aspects.

Have fun!

Wednesday is a no-go, but I think I will actually be available Tuesday at 8:00 server time this week. I'll get on and see if anything is happening. If not, no problem at all, life is what it is.

Apologies to the nice folks I’ve been playing with but I had to deal with a major human-caused network problem at my home this evening, including physical damage to some equipment. I’m sure you had fun without me! I just wanted you to know that if I could have returned after my second disconnect, I would have done so.

Apologies to the nice folks I’ve been playing with but I had to deal with a major human-caused network problem at my home this evening, including physical damage to some equipment. I’m sure you had fun without me! I just wanted you to know that if I could have returned after my second disconnect, I would have done so.
    Sorry to hear that Tralfazz, hopefully you can get things fixed soon. Seems our little group has fizzled..

Seems our little group has fizzled..
    I'm happy to set up another date and time! I was hoping to not have to organize and lead every session, it shouldn't depend only on me to do that.

How about this Friday 21 August at 8:00pm server time? I know that doesn't work for everyone, and I know that some of you play during hours that I am not available because I am asleep; so I hope you or someone else will organize other runs for those hours when I can't make it but other members of the group can.

I'll send a game mail about Friday to each member of our group after the servers come back up following weekly maintenance tomorrow.

I'm happy to set up another date and time! I was hoping to not have to organize and lead every session, it shouldn't depend only on me to do that.

How about this Friday 21 August at 8:00pm server time? I know that doesn't work for everyone, and I know that some of you play during hours that I am not available because I am asleep; so I hope you or someone else will organize other runs for those hours when I can't make it but other members of the group can.

I'll send a game mail about Friday to each member of our group after the servers come back up following weekly maintenance tomorrow.
    That's ok, you're right it's not your responsibility and honestly most of the time there's a struggle to complete anything. Probably best to let things die then. Sorry it turned out this way, but I am glad we had the chance to meet and group a bit.

Nice run tonight! We did Agoroth, the Narrowdelve. That Angmarim boss is always tough! Quite fun, nice loot for Aelarine.

Wednesday 07 Sep, 8pm

Next run: Fornost
    Pick up the quest from Halbarad in Esteldin, we'll try to do all four parts: Water, Earth, Fire, Shadow.

Date: Wednesday, 07 September
    Time: 8:00pm Server Time

See you then! If you see this and want to join, be logged in before 8:00pm and /tell Menhirion (that's me) for an invitation.

Hope you has a successful run! Twiggins is muddling through Lothlorien instances at the moment. If I happen to see anyone around I'll send an invite.

Quote Originally Posted by Vilan View Post
    Hope you has a successful run! Twiggins is muddling through Lothlorien instances at the moment. If I happen to see anyone around I'll send an invite.
    We're getting together Fri 09 Sep at 11pm server time. It would be great to see you!