We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Problem with Crossover on Mac OS Monterey

Hi, everyone,

Macbook Air, OS Monterey. I currently have 60 GB of space.

I downloaded crossover, and installed windows 10/64 in its own bottle, then downloaded LOTRO in that same bottle. I also put directX 10 in it. Here's my issue:

The game loads great! I am able to log into my account and my server. Then... when I wait for it to load onto the character screen, I HEAR the character screen loading (there's a click) but the screen never advances PAST the 'loading' screen. It begins to flicker and continues to do so and never advances. It is so frustrating -- it's like, I know my characters are 'beyond the veil' but I cannot access them. Has anyone else had this issue, and if so, what did you do to solve it?

Thanks so much! I hate to pull out the old PC but I just might have to...

Quote Originally Posted by Salisha View Post
    Macbook Air, OS Monterey. I currently have 60 GB of space.

I downloaded crossover, and installed windows 10/64 in its own bottle, then downloaded LOTRO in that same bottle. I also put directX 10 in it. Here's my issue:

The game loads great! I am able to log into my account and my server. Then... when I wait for it to load onto the character screen, I HEAR the character screen loading (there's a click) but the screen never advances PAST the 'loading' screen. It begins to flicker and continues to do so and never advances. It is so frustrating -- it's like, I know my characters are 'beyond the veil' but I cannot access them. Has anyone else had this issue, and if so, what did you do to solve it?
    Hi, Salisha! That sounds frustrating and I don't know 100% for sure exactly what your issue is yet, but we'll almost certainly be able to get you working.

I know you said you have a MacBook Air, but could you please be more specific as to the model? You can tell me the model number or tell me something like, "M2 MacBook Air 2022, 8GPU cores, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD."

Let's check some common issues. Do one thing at a time and then try to launch the game again. You don't have to move on to subsequent steps once you are able to enter a game world with a character successfully. Please note that when you are making changes to your Crossover bottle or editing the UserPreferences.ini file, it is very important that no component of LOTRO – the LOTRO Launcher application and the game client application – is running although it's OK if Crossover is running.
    1- Be sure your bottle settings are exactly like this:

2- Did you install "DirectX for Modern Games" into your bottle? If not, do so now. Be sure you install it into the same bottle in which you have LOTRO installed.
    3- Are you using the 64-bit client? It can be hard to tell sometimes because the LOTRO Launcher application's checkboxes don't work properly under WINE (remember that Crossover is the "pro" version of WINE). So open the file ~/Documents/The Lord of the Rings Online/UserPreferences.ini with TextEdit and be sure the following line is exactly as follows:
    GameClientType=3
    If it's not, edit that line so that it matches exactly (spelling and capitalization count) and then save the file and quit out of TextEdit.
    4- Be sure your game is set to run in FULL SCREEN WINDOWED mode. You can change this later, but launching into FULL SCREEN WINDOWED mode often works around a lot of little issues that the LOTRO client has with "retina"/UHD resolutions. To do this, edit your ~/Documents/The Lord of the Rings Online/UserPreferences.ini file with TextEdit so that the following line is exactly this:
    ScreenMode=FullScreenWindowed
    5- If you are experiencing this problem with DirectX 11, try DirectX 9. If you are experiencing this problem with DirectX 9, try DirectX 11. You can change the version of DirectX which the client will use by editing ~/Documents/The Lord of the Rings Online/UserPreferences.ini to change the following line...
    GraphicsCore=X
    ...where X is either DX9 or DX11. Edit that line to change the version of DirectX the client will use and then save the file and quit out of TextEdit.

Report back with the extra information about your Mac and with your results after trying the five steps above.

WOW, thanks so much for your very detailed reply. I am very grateful, even if it never works!

More info about my old macbook air:
    13 inch
    Processor 1.6 GHz Dual-core Intel Core i5
    Memory 8gb 1600 mHZ ddr3
    graphics intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MD.

Before everything changed, I very happily played LOTRO on this computer.

Now, as to the suggestions -- I checked items you showed in step one, the other steps were already in place, except for the GraphicsCore, which instead of any x, says D3D9. Should I change this? If so, to what?

Thanks again for even responding!

I checked items you showed in step one, the other steps were already in place, except for the GraphicsCore, which instead of any x, says D3D9. Should I change this? If so, to what?
    X just means "a variable" – in this case, either D3D9 or D3D11.

Referring to the steps in my last message:
    1- You confirmed that the bottle settings are correct.
    2- You said that "the other steps were already in place" so I am assuming that means you did install "DirectX for Modern Games" into your bottle.
    3- You said that "the other steps were already in place" so I am assuming your game is set to launch the 64-bit client.
    4- You said that "the other steps were already in place" so I am assuming your game is set to run in FULL SCREEN WINDOWED mode.
    5- This is the step you are up to. The game is currently set to use DirectX 9. In that case, the next thing to try is to complete this step by changing the UserPreferences.ini file so that the game will use DirectX 11. To do so, look for this line...
    GraphicsCore=D3D9
    ...and change it so that it is...
    GraphicsCore=D3D11
    Then save the file, quit out of TextEdit, and attempt to launch the game. Then report back with your results.

If this does not resolve your issue, please give me a full dump of your UserPreferences.ini file. You can just copy-paste the entire thing into your next reply. Please redact your account name from the file before pasting it into your next reply to protect your privacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tralfazz View Post
    X just means "a variable" – in this case, either D3D9 or D3D11.

Referring to the steps in my last message:
    1- You confirmed that the bottle settings are correct.
    2- You said that "the other steps were already in place" so I am assuming that means you did install "DirectX for Modern Games" into your bottle.
    3- You said that "the other steps were already in place" so I am assuming your game is set to launch the 64-bit client.
    4- You said that "the other steps were already in place" so I am assuming your game is set to run in FULL SCREEN WINDOWED mode.
    5- This is the step you are up to. The game is currently set to use DirectX 9. In that case, the next thing to try is to complete this step by changing the UserPreferences.ini file so that the game will use DirectX 11. To do so, look for this line...
    GraphicsCore=D3D9
    ...and change it so that it is...
    GraphicsCore=D3D11
    Then save the file, quit out of TextEdit, and attempt to launch the game. Then report back with your results.

If this does not resolve your issue, please give me a full dump of your UserPreferences.ini file. You can just copy-paste the entire thing into your next reply. Please redact your account name from the file before pasting it into your next reply to protect your privacy.
    1-4 are as you have stated above. Thanks for your advice there.

5. Switching from d3d9 to d3d11 was unsuccessful.

Here's the dump of my .ini file, sans personal info: (my apologies for not posting last eve, I walked away from the computer in frustration)

[Launcher]
    LastLocale=en
    FirstRun=false
    AllowMultipleInstances=true
    WindowGeometry=@ByteArray(\x1\ xd9\xd0\xcb\0\x1\0\0\0\0\x1g\0 \0\0\xae\0\0\x4\x36\0\0\x2\xd6 \0\0\x1g\0\0\0\xae\0\0\x4\x36\ 0\0\x2\xd6\0\0\0\0\0\0)
    PreCache=true
    SelectLastPlayedWorld=false
    GameClientType=3
    GameClientAskedToUse64bit=true
    [User_1]
    UserName=
    WorldName_1=
    LastPlayed_1=
    UserFileName_1=
    UserAckTime_1=
    UserFileName_2=
    UserAckTime_2=
    [Camera]
    AlignToSlope=False
    ResetYawWhenPlayerMoves=False
    [Display]
    AllowDesktopCompositing=True
    AllowFakeFullScreen=True
    AllowWindowResizing=True
    Antialiasing=Disabled
    ConfineFullScreenMouseCursor=T rue
    FixedOutputScaling=Default
    ForceFakeFullScreen=False
    FullScreen=False
    RefreshRate=Auto
    Resolution=1440x900
    SyncToRefresh=False
    TripleBuffering=False
    WindowedResolution=1024x768
    [Graphics]
    PVMPPerformanceOverride=True
    [Input]
    InvertMouseLookYAxis=False
    JoystickDeadZone=0.25
    MouseLookSensitivity=0.10
    MouseLookSmoothingAmount=0.00
    PitchKeySpeed=60.00
    RemoteMouse=False
    RollKeySpeed=60.00
    TurnKeySpeed=150.00
    XInputDetection=False
    [International]
    UseIME=False
    [Misc]
    PlayedIntroMovie=True
    TooltipDelay=0.25
    TooltipEnable=True
    [Net]
    BindInterface=
    ComputeUniquePort=True
    ConnectionSpeed=0.00
    UserSpecifiedPort=0
    [Render]
    AllowGammaChanges=True
    AlphaToCoverage=False
    AmbientLightBoost=0.00
    AmbientOcclusion=True
    AnisotropicQuality=4
    AspectRatio=Auto
    AtmosphericsDetail=Medium
    BlobShadows=True
    BloomIntensity=1.00
    BlurFilterQuality=Medium
    Brightness=1.00
    Contrast=1.00
    D3DVersionPromptedForAtStartup =11
    DisplayAdapter=0
    DistantImposters=True
    DynamicParticles=All
    EnablePortraits=True
    EnvironmentStencilShadows=Fals e
    FarLandscapeNormalMaps=False
    FrillDensity=1.00
    FrillDistance=Medium
    Gamma=1.00
    GlowMapping=True
    GraphicsCore=D3D11
    HavePromptedForD3D10AtStartup= False
    InteractiveWater=Low
    LandscapeDrawDistance=High
    LandscapeLightingQuality=Low
    LandscapeShoreEffects=High
    LandscapeStaticObjectShadows=M edium
    MaterialDetail=High
    MaxHardwareClass=0
    MeasuredFillRate=inf
    MemoryUsage=0.30
    MeshCombining=True
    ModelDetail=High
    MultiPassLighting=True
    ObjectDrawDistance=High
    OverbrightBloomFilter=False
    PlayerCrowdQuality=1.00
    PrecipitationEffects=True
    ShadowMapQuality=0
    SpecularLighting=True
    StaticEnvironmentalObjects=Tru e
    StencilShadows=Medium
    SurfaceReflections=Low
    TextureDetail=High
    TextureFiltering=Trilinear
    VideoPostEffects=True
    VolumetricLight=True
    PerPixelLightingAttenuation=Tr ue
    [Sound]
    AmbientVolume=1.00
    CombatVolume=1.00
    DefaultVolume=1.00
    EAXEnabled=False
    FocusBehavior=Disable Sound
    MasterVolume=1.00
    MaxPlayingSounds=64
    MusicDisabled=False
    MusicVolume=1.00
    PersistentSound=False
    PlayerMusicVolume=1.00
    QuantizedPlayerMusicVolume=1.0 0
    SFXVolume=1.00
    SoundDisabled=False
    SoundFeatures=OpenAL Soft on Built-in Output
    SoundProvider=OpenAL
    UIVolume=1.00
    VOVolume=1.00
    [Troubleshooting]
    EngineSpeed=VeryHigh
    MaximumFrameRate=121
    [UI]
    CharSelectSortType=0
    FloatyTextOnTop=False
    FloatyTextOpacity=1.00
    FloatyTextScale=1.00
    RadarMovementSmoothing=True
    WebstoreExternalWindow=False
    MapQuestListXScreenPercentage=-1.00
    MapQuestListYScreenPercentage=-1.00
    MountAppearanceShowPlayerMount ed=True
    [Voice]
    DefaultGroupVolume=0.75
    DeviceCapture=BB9E60E7-9773-43A8-BF2C-3E571480ABDE
    DevicePlayback=C28BB70C-868D-417F-AB6A-2A04C4F37B96
    HandsFree=False
    MicCaptureThreshold=0.10
    MicVolume=1.00
    NetworkLatencyThresh=250
    VoiceVolume=1.00

Also, I was able to log onto the character screen this morning, but none of the characters were loaded before it started flickering. However, that was the farthest I have ever gotten! However, when I logged back in again, I was unable to get that far. Ugh!!
    Last edited by Salisha; Aug 02 2022 at 09:04 AM.

Also, I was able to log onto the character screen this morning, but none of the characters were loaded before it started flickering. However, that was the farthest I have ever gotten! However, when I logged back in again, I was unable to get that far. Ugh!!
    I walked away from the computer in frustration
    Very annoying. Let's not give up yet, though; we've just gotten started. There are a lot of things to try first.

First, let's get you back on DirectX 9. DirectX 11 is better but DirectX 9 has broader compatibility and puts fewer demands on your hardware, so while troubleshooting it's better to set DirectX 9. To do so:
    Edit your UserPreferences.ini file so that this line matches exactly:
    GraphicsCore=D3D9
    You will find this line in the [Render] section.

Second, since you are now using the 64-bit client and the 64-bit client is able to use more RAM but your Mac has a relatively limited amount of RAM (some of which is allocated as VRAM for the Intel integrated graphics system and unavailable for other purposes), let's try restricting the amount of RAM that the client will attempt to use. To do so:
    MemoryUsage=0.00
    You will find this line in the [Render] section.

Third, let's set to Windowed mode while we're troubleshooting. This will remove a few opportunities for problems to exhibit and will also reduce the demands on your hardware. To do so:
    Edit your UserPreferences.ini file so that the following two lines match exactly:
    ScreenMode=Windowed
    WindowedResolution=800x600
    You will find these lines in the [Display] section. I know that you won't want to play in Windowed mode and that 800x600 resolution is worthless for playing. Don't worry, once we get everything sorted out you can go back to using the full resolution of your Mac's built-in monitor.

Fourth, let's drop some settings down while we're troubleshooting to reduce the demands on your hardware even more. To do so:
    Edit your UserPreferences.ini file so that the following lines match exactly:
    FrillDensity=0.25
    VideoPostEffects=False
    You will find these lines in the [Render] section.

After making all of those changes, attempt to launch the game. Then report back with your results.

IT WORKED!!!! Now, is there a special way to reverse the settings I did to get a different result or...

Thanks so very very very much.

IT WORKED!!!! Now, is there a special way to reverse the settings I did to get a different result or...
    Let's put things back one step at a time. Do each of the following, attempt to launch the game after making the change. If you are able to successfully launch the game after making that one change, go on to the next step. If you are not able to successfully launch the game after making that one change, revert that change and then move on to the next step. One step at a time, test after each step, do it in the order below:

1- Go back to Full Screen Windowed mode. To do so:
    Edit your UserPreferences.ini file so that the following line matches exactly:

2- Go back to DirectX 11. To do so:
    GraphicsCore=D3D11

3- Bump the graphics back up a bit – but only a bit, let's not get crazy! To do so:
    VideoPostEffects=True
    This is the #2 candidate for the cause of your trouble. If you get a failure here, I won't be surprised.

4- The #1 candidate for the cause of your trouble is the MemoryUsage=X setting. I strongly recommend leaving it at MemoryUsage=0.00. The only thing that this setting will do is allow the client to use more of your RAM to cache textures and other things which speeds up loading when moving into a new zone or closer to a large group of players. However, because your Mac has only 8gb of RAM and Intel integrated graphics, the game is probably running out of room to cache that data - and the game doesn't know how to handle an out-of-RAM situation, so it glitches or crashes. If you want to try bumping this up, the worst thing that will happen is that your problem will recur and you will need to set it back to 0.00. If you decide to bump this up, start at 0.20 and work your way upward by +0.20 each time. Again, I do not recommend changing this from 0.00 but it won't damage anything permanently to try.
    edit: I will note that even if #3, the VideoPostEffects setting, ends up being the cause of your problem, it's better to leave the MemoryUsage setting at 0.00 given your limited available system RAM.

Please report back with your results, I would very much like to hear that you were able to do #1, #2, and #3 and enjoyed continued successful launches and game-world entries. If you do make any changes in #4 (which, again, I do not recommend doing), please let me know the results of those tests as well. Good luck, and have fun in Middle-earth!
    Last edited by Tralfazz; Aug 02 2022 at 02:52 PM.

You are simply brilliant. I was able to revert to fullscreenwindow and also upped my Directx11. However, as soon as I put the videoposteffects to 'True', the flickering screen returned. I put it back to false, and the game is working fine! I did not tamper with the memory usage, as per your advice.

I will now purchase Crossover and hopefully enjoy a long time gaming in this wonderful online world via my mac!

Again, thank you so much. I am ever grateful!

However, as soon as I put the videoposteffects to 'True', the flickering screen returned. I put it back to false, and the game is working fine!
    That's a bit disappointing because post-processing makes a very large difference in the appearance of some things in the game world. Water, especially, looks amazingly beautiful with post-processing enabled.

Given that, and given that you can now get to the character creation/selection screen and enter a game world, and therefore can use the in-game OPTIONS panel to make changes more easily; you might want to try enabling a subset of post-processing effects. You might find a combination that will allow you to enjoy the enhanced visuals while avoiding the problem you were experiencing.

If you wish to experiment with this:
    1- Get into a game world. Take your character to a body of water. Any river or stream will do, such as the brook that winds through the Falathlorn Estates or any of the lakes and streams in Rivendell or The Shire. Make a mental note of the appearance of the body of water.
    2- Go to your in-game OPTIONS panel, specifically OPTIONS->ADV GRAPHICS->POST PROCESSING.
    3- Check on POST-PROCESSING EFFECTS. Check off VOLUMETRIC SUN LIGHT, GLOW MAPPING, and OVERBRIGHT BLOOM FILTER. Set BLUR FILTER QUALITY to low. Set BLOOM INTENSITY to 1.00. Then click ACCEPT in the lower-right of the OPTIONS panel. You should see an immediate improvement in the appearance of the water.
    4a- If your issue recurs while you are doing anything in Step 3, revert all your changes. If you cannot revert your changes because the issue prevents you from accessing the OPTIONS panel, quit out of the game and edit the UserPreferences.ini file so that VideoPostEffects=False. Oh well, it was worth a try and only took a few minutes of your time.
    4b- If the game produces noticeably higher-quality water effects and you do not experience a recurrence of your issue within a few minutes of continued play, quit out of the game and attempt to relaunch the game – just to be sure that your problem does not recur during game launch. If the problem does recur during launch, quit out of the game and edit the UserPreferences.ini file so that VideoPostEffects=False. Once again, a shame, but worth the time and effort to find out.
    4c- If the game continues to run smoothly and you are able to quit and relaunch the game and reenter a game world without a recurrence of your issue, then hurray! Definitely worth the time and effort! If you get to this point with POST-PROCESSING EFFECTS enabled (and VOLUMETRIC SUN LIGHT, GLOW MAPPING, and OVERBRIGHT BLOOM FILTER disabled) then go on to Step 5.
    5- Enable VOLUMETRIC SUN LIGHT. You might not see any immediate change to the visuals. Follow steps 4a, 4b, and 4c. If you get to 4c again, go on to Step 6.
    6- Enable GLOW MAPPING. You might not see any immediate change to the visuals. Follow steps 4a, 4b, and 4c. If you get to 4c again, go on to Step 7.
    7- Enable OVERBRIGHT BLOOM FILTER. You might not see any immediate change to the visuals. Follow steps 4a, 4b, and 4c. If you get to 4c again, go on to Step 8.
    8- Change BLUR FILTER QUALITY to medium. You might not see any immediate change to the visuals. Follow steps 4a, 4b, and 4c. If you get to 4c again, go on to Step 9.
    9- Change BLUR FILTER QUALITY to high. You might not see any immediate change to the visuals. Follow steps 4a, 4b, and 4c. If you get to 4c again, go on to Step 10.
    10- You're done. Do not make any changes to BLOOM INTENSITY, leave it at 1.00.

I will note that something is not going to work somewhere between Step 3 and Step 9. It's possible you will not be able to use post-processing effects at all without triggering your problem. However, it is possible that you will be able to enable post-processing effects and all except one of the sub-effects in the post-processing category – the trick is to determine which specific one (or possibly more than one) is triggering your problem assuming that you can enable post-processing at all even with all the sub-effects disabled.

This won't be terribly time-consuming to try, the most time-consuming part will be the quits and restarts to be sure the problem doesn't recur during game launch after each individual change. However, once you determine exactly which sub-effect is causing the problem (and the problem doesn't occur with post-processing enabled all by itself even with no sub-effects enabled), you will enjoy greatly enhanced visuals in some areas of the game.