We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Make Demand Simple

Sell orders are a quick way to show supply of goods. Supply is very simple and easy to see. Demand is more difficult to know.

The law of supply and demand is the theory that prices are determined by the relationship between supply and demand. If the supply of a good or service outstrips the demand for it, prices will fall. If demand exceeds supply, prices will rise.

Crafters can produce goods and attempt to sell on auction house via sell order, but if demand is not high enough for that item to sell, the crafter is basically wasting their time and effort.

Customers can ask in world or trade chat WTB (want to buy) and a specific price. If both the customer and crafter agree on any specifics of the transaction, then they can quickly transfer items for gold, completing the sale. That is the main issue, that this conversation must take place. Compare that to the reverse of this example. The crafter makes the item and lists it on the auction house for that price; the customer finds it on the auction house buy order and completes the purchase. No conversation with the crafter is necessary, since the customer wants that item at that price and completes the sale. Customer receives goods and is happy. Crafter receives gold and is happy.

Buy orders do not yet exist, but would show demand for an item. As demand increases, the price of the item would increase, as more customers create buy orders for that item at increased price, until it matches the listed buy orders for the item. At that point, the auction house would automatically 'sell' the item from the sell order to the 'buy' order, essentially removing the need for a customer to ask WTB in chat. Crafter receives gold and customer receives item.

The example is for when supply and demand match, but other scenarios would also exist, for lowered/increased demand or supply. Make supply and demand automatic. ie simplify crafting/supplying customers with items.

Whohaz_Duhrang is offline Father Of Dwarves Within The Evernight...
    Judging The Auction House And The Item You Have's Value Is Quite Simple Indeed For Any Player That Keeps Up With The Auction House., You Can Post In Trade Chat Your Item And Ask Its Value And We The Guru's Of LOTRO Value, Will Give You A Common Minimum To The Least Common But Quite Correct Maximum.. Like All People Trying To Sell Goods AH., Sometimes They'll Sell Sometimes They Dont., You'll Learn Whats Sought., Some Days Are Busier Than Others So Plenty Common Knowledge IRL To Take Into Account That Affect The In-Game World., Think LOTRO Has Done Fine And Dandy The Auction House, The Problem Isn't They, But The Player Thats Unwilling

Quote Originally Posted by HolySolution78 View Post
    Judging The Auction House And The Item You Have's Value Is Quite Simple Indeed For Any Player That Keeps Up With The Auction House., You Can Post In Trade Chat Your Item And Ask Its Value And We The Guru's Of LOTRO Value, Will Give You A Common Minimum To The Least Common But Quite Correct Maximum.. Like All People Trying To Sell Goods AH., Sometimes They'll Sell Sometimes They Dont., You'll Learn Whats Sought., Some Days Are Busier Than Others So Plenty Common Knowledge IRL To Take Into Account That Affect The In-Game World., Think LOTRO Has Done Fine And Dandy The Auction House, The Problem Isn't They, But The Player Thats Unwilling
    I'm curious as to how you have this knowledge for being so new to the game... (who the heck are the Gurus of LOTRO Value (is that some server specific thing I'm not aware of???)?)

...Going back to the OP.

What server do you play on because that is definitely not the case on Landroval. I almost never see "WTB". Maybe this won't help for the server you pla on, but my method is if I have something I think would sell in AH, I look at the current offers and if I deem it worthwhile to undercut or supply more for the going rate I post and then advertise in /trade "[Item] now in AH for x gold buyout. It usually works out well
    Landroval - The Alliance kinship of The Alliance Gaming Community
    https://agc.gamerlaunch.com/
    “Take me with you. For laughs, for luck, for the unknown. Take me with you.” - Peter S. Beagle, The Last Unicorn

Whohaz_Duhrang is offline Father Of Dwarves Within The Evernight...
    Someone With The Experience And Knowledge Of In-Game Facts, But Even More So The Value Of Items., And Nay Am I New, You See Only The Forums And Not My Time Yonder, Which Is Still Sad To Call Out.

I Play On The Only Server Worth Playing On: Evernight.. I, Am Whohaz Duhrang, Father Of Dwarves., And Yay I Know The Words I Type., You Can Do As This Person Says And Post Cheaper Price., Or Post Any Price Since It’s An Auction lmao., But Regardless Items Have A Hidden Value., For Those That Dont Know That., Are Definitely The Noobs And Maybe Shouldn’t Type, Any Who Play Consistently And Use AH Frequently To Browse And Sell, Will Know This Is Textbook

Price Check: (post item in world chat)

I Bet If Your Server Is Active With Veterans., You’ll Get A Minimum And Maximum Price The Item Is Sold At., If Not., Best Just Transferring To Evernight As Quickly As Possible Before You Waste Any Time Elsewhere
    Last edited by HolySolution78; Oct 28 2022 at 05:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HolySolution78 View Post
    Someone With The Experience And Knowledge Of In-Game Facts, But Even More So The Value Of Items., And Nay Am I New, You See Only The Forums And Not My Time Yonder, Which Is Still Sad To Call Out.

I Play On The Only Server Worth Playing On: Evernight.. I, Am Whohaz Duhrang, Father Of Dwarves., And Yay I Know The Words I Type., You Can Do As This Person Says And Post Cheaper Price., Or Post Any Price Since It’s An Auction lmao., But Regardless Items Have A Hidden Value., For Those That Dont Know That., Are Definitely The Noobs And Maybe Shouldn’t Type, Any Who Play Consistently And Use AH Frequently To Browse And Sell, Will Know This Is Textbook

Price Check: (post item in world chat)

I Bet If Your Server Is Active With Veterans., You’ll Get A Minimum And Maximum Price The Item Is Sold At., If Not., Best Just Transferring To Evernight As Quickly As Possible Before You Waste Any Time Elsewhere
    wth... lol. I love it xD
    Landroval - The Alliance kinship of The Alliance Gaming Community
    https://agc.gamerlaunch.com/
    “Take me with you. For laughs, for luck, for the unknown. Take me with you.” - Peter S. Beagle, The Last Unicorn

Some people put items into auction for an absurdly high price. Others are so long in the game, they don't need the stuff that they are collecting on the roadside. So they give it away for free.

I never sell items. If someone is in need, they usually don't have the money for it, so I mail it to them for free.

There is no set price. All you can do, is find out by trial and error.

Greetings, Polymachos
    Räuberhöhle auf Belegaer, Breelandsiedlung, Ochsbott, Lange Straße 5. Vorsicht, Fallen!
    Awkward Anomalities Arena in Breeland Homesteads, 6 Long Street, Ersward (Landroval) - Elderslade under attack!

Scared people tend to follow the flock, no matter which shepherd it has