We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: How to Use Pet

How to Use Pet

There is probably something simple that I am overlooking but there have been some changes of late and maybe I just don't know the ins and outs of playing my pet anymore. My question is "is there a way to keep your pet in battle" without having to target over and over and sending back in? I mean the pet helps to kill a mob, the pet runs back to me, he runs in to help over and over but always runs back to me. Is there a way to keep the pet in battle without having to send him back in over and over? Like I said, it is probably something I am overlooking. I at least hope so and it's something not viable. Thank you for your help guys!

If your combat companion is in combat, and it uses melee-range attacks, it will continue to attack its target until that target is defeated or comes under the effect of a breakable crowd-control effect (such as the root from Cracked Earth or the daze from Blinding Flash), or you call it back to you or send it to another target. If you wish for it to stop attacking but not run back to you, you must first toggle on STAY rather than FOLLOW; then if your pet’s target is defeated or CCed it will maintain its position rather than run back to you. You will need to remember to toggle FOLLOW back on after the battle, though, or your pet won’t follow you when you run over to the next area where you want to fight.

The Bog Guardian uses ranged attacks so you might find that pet more to your liking if the “run back” behavior of the melee pets annoys you.

Turn on Assist mode so that your pet attacks what you're attacking, reducing the amount of back-and-forth running your pet does. It can be enabled alongside Passive mode and Guard mode.

https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Pets (*This wiki page needs some updating.)

Aggressive mode is no longer available. I think it was removed partially to stop exploitative players who used it to afk-grind landscape for whatever reason.
    Been playing LOTRO on and off since 4/16/2013! | - Landroval, Laurelin -

*'Deceiver' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ0RwCzh_xI - a LOTRO fan trailer I made, with voice acting attempt

Quote Originally Posted by Granlu View Post
    There is probably something simple that I am overlooking but there have been some changes of late and maybe I just don't know the ins and outs of playing my pet anymore. My question is "is there a way to keep your pet in battle" without having to target over and over and sending back in? I mean the pet helps to kill a mob, the pet runs back to me, he runs in to help over and over but always runs back to me. Is there a way to keep the pet in battle without having to send him back in over and over? Like I said, it is probably something I am overlooking. I at least hope so and it's something not viable. Thank you for your help guys!
    When your pet is in combat and you want him to stay there just hit the stay command. If the pet is being attacked you shouldn't even notice until the enemy is dead because the pet stays at that spot.