We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

DX11 is not available on RTX 3060 Laptop (Tried many things)

I have recently got a 3060 Laptop and installed Lotro. I was stuck at DX9.

Steps taken so far :

1. Made sure that 3060 is selected through launcher options, also checked UserPreferences.ini and confirmed it is selected.

2. Went to Geforce Control Panel and forced both lotroclient.exe and lotroclient64.exe to use 3060(Even forced Lotrolauncher to use 3060). Went to Windows settings and forced both lotroclient.exe and lotroclient64.exe to use 3060.

3. DXDiag shows DX12. Tried to install both DX default install by DXWebInstaller and also tried Hurin's link's DXWebInstaller. Both says DX is up to date and installation is not necessary.

4. When I launch the game I check from Task Manager which graphics card the game uses and it shows 3060. Still I am stuck at DX9 in game options.

I am using Windows 11.

When I switch to Intell UHD Graphics it recognizes DX11 and lets me use Ultra settings without any crash. I just want to use 3060.

Quote Originally Posted by Reglixa View Post
    I have recently got a 3060 Laptop and installed Lotro. I was stuck at DX9.

Steps taken so far :

1. Made sure that 3060 is selected through launcher options, also checked UserPreferences.ini and confirmed it is selected.
    From what I remember, ini file have DX in 2 or 3 places. All of them have dx11 and none of them have dx9?

3. DXDiag shows DX12. Tried to install both DX default install by DXWebInstaller and also tried Hurin's link's DXWebInstaller. Both says DX is up to date and installation is not necessary.
    The problem here is that many of the DirectX installers will not allow you to proceed with the installation if they detect that an installation of DirectX is already present. This is the case for dxwebsetup.exe found in */StandingStoneGames/The Lord of the Rings Online/ as well as many others. There is one which will allow you to proceed with an overwrite install and that usually repairs the problem you are reporting:

Go to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp...?view=msvc-170 and download from the "Visual Studio 2015, 2017, 2019, and 2022" part of the page the X64 Redistributable package. Install the package. Restart your PC if needed.

Here is a link to the specific file, but I suggest you download from the page linked above because sometimes the link to the latest installer changes:
    https://aka.ms/vs/17/release/vc_redist.x64.exe

Quote Originally Posted by Elmagor View Post
    From what I remember, ini file have DX in 2 or 3 places. All of them have dx11 and none of them have dx9?
    There is only one line that makes any difference:
    GraphicsCore=X
    ...where X is D3D9, D3D10, or D3D11.

The other lines which reference DirectX are just about nag prompts.
    Last edited by Tralfazz; Mar 16 2023 at 01:21 PM.

Thanks for replies of you both but neither have worked for me.

Thanks for replies of you both but neither have worked for me.
    Were you able to install vc_redist.x64.exe over what you had before?

Quote Originally Posted by Tralfazz View Post
    Were you able to install vc_redist.x64.exe over what you had before?
    Positive.

Positive.
    Next step: Download and run the dxwebsetup.exe from here:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...ils.aspx?id=35
    If you are asked if you want to continue even though components are already installed (or something similar), confirm and continue.

If you have issues with that or it does not resolve your problem, try the full "offline" installer found here:
    https://www.guru3d.com/files-get/dir...e-2010),8.html

They did not work even though I have restarted my laptop after. The thing is, when I start it on Intel UHD Graphics, it makes DX11 available and lets me use ultra settings without any issue. So I don't think it is about DirectX version. It even shows as 12 on DXDiag. Can it be that, in UserPreferences.ini, I have to make it 2 to select RTX 3060, unlike some other systems who needs to select 1 for main GPU? On Taskmanager there are two options 0 is Intel UHD and 1 is RTX 3060. But in lotro settings there are 4 options as seen in the picture attached.

https://i.imgur.com/mS9EYwy.jpg

Edit : 3060 was selected and after I have installed last stuff it switched automatically to Intel UHD and only DirectX9 was available(even though in the past DirectX11 was available for Intel UHD). Then I have switched it back to 3060 and now DX11 is available. Thanks for support, hope you have a perfect life.
    Last edited by Reglixa; Mar 21 2023 at 06:20 AM.