We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Are the new carry-alls bound to account or character?

I just bought 2 new Dye carry-alls. I CANNOT MOVE THEM BETWEEN ALTS AS IT IS BOUND TO A CHARACTER!

The store item description says "Pass this carry-all to any of your characters on a single world."

So which is it?
    I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it.

Must be a bug, they must be bound to account

If you have put items in the carryall that are bound to a character, the entire carryall shows it being bound to character. Take any items out of the bag that are bound to a character and it will revert to bound to account.

Quote Originally Posted by Elrohir_of_Kellemar View Post
    If you have put items in the carryall that are bound to a character, the entire carryall shows it being bound to character. Take any items out of the bag that are bound to a character and it will revert to bound to account.
    This.^^^
    It makes sense. If it didn't do this, you'd be able to move bound items between characters using the carry-all.

A curious thing happened. I opened the carry-all. There were 29 items listed. Scrolled thru all the dyes and couldn't see anything.
    So I started taking them out and with 10 left, the bag changed to account bound. I put them all back in and it's fine now. The only thing I can think of is 29 blue dyes split into 27 and 2. The 27 were not bound to anything. Two were not bound either but they were purchased from store. Must have been from the weekly freebie.

Typical of computer glitches I'd say. I have a love-hate relationship with computers and today is a hate day.
    I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it.

I don't remember any dye in the game bound to character

Quote Originally Posted by Elmagor View Post
    Some intros have bound to acc dyes - navy blue ones memory serving.

Each new character gets an item called Gift Pack in the mail once done and out of intro https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Item:Gift_Pack
    you get 2 free Navy dyes that bound to character, Not sure where else though.
    Pontin Level 140 Hobbit Burglar Leader of Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    other classes: Minstrel, Guardian, Captain, Hunter.

Taken many Screenshots of Middle-earth, Also a Moderator of the LotRO Community Discord server

Quote Originally Posted by Nonde View Post
    Some intros have bound to acc dyes - navy blue ones memory serving.
    Well, in that situation SSG can fix all problems... just flag bound to character items and don't allow them go into any Carry-All

Well, in that situation SSG can fix all problems... just flag bound to character items and don't allow them go into any Carry-All
    That's silly, what if I want to keep character-bound items in a carry-all? They cost too much to be taking any functionality away from them.
    << Co-founder of The Firebrands of Caruja on Landroval >>
    Ceolford of Dale, Dorolin, Tordag, Garberend Bellheather, Colfinn Belegorn, Garmo Butterbuckles, Calensarn Nimlos, Langtiriel, Bergteir

It has to be a bug, combining bound and unbound dyes into one. There's a binding column in the carry-all, didn't it show anything?

Anyway we can put bound stuff into shared storage, we just can't get it out (destroy is possible, though). Carry-alls are a type of shared storage, they should work similar.

Quote Originally Posted by auximenes View Post
    That's silly, what if I want to keep character-bound items in a carry-all? They cost too much to be taking any functionality away from them.
    Well, and how you can send that carry-all (with character-bound items inside) to your other character?

Well, and how you can send that carry-all (with character-bound items inside) to your other character?
    You take them out? Why is this such an issue? Why would you limit the ability of all carry-alls to hold BTC items in them because once in a while a player gets confused because they didn't realise they put a BTC item in it? This is like the posts by modtek that were started last week.
    Ceolford of Dale, Dorolin, Tordag, Garberend Bellheather, Colfinn Belegorn, Garmo Butterbuckles, Calensarn Nimlos, Langtiriel, Bergteir

You take them out? Why is this such an issue? Why would you limit the ability of all carry-alls to hold BTC items in them because once in a while a player gets confused because they didn't realise they put a BTC item in it? This is like the posts by modtek that were started last week.
    Why we need character-bound dye in Lotro in 2023 year?

Dunno, ask the Devs. The only BTC dye that I can think of off-hand is the blue dye that comes in noob boxes. Regardless of why there are BTC dyes it seems silly to remove the ability for carry-alls to hold them if you desire to put them in there.

maartena is offline The Wise
    Drinks Coffee All Day
    This. There are some dyes gotten through quests and such that are bound to CHARACTER.

The general rule for items bound to character placed in any carry-all is that the carry-all also becomes bound to that character. In this case, you just need to figure out which dye is bound to character. You may have to remove all of them. My guess is it might be one of the dyes offered by a starter pack or intro quest or something like that.

My guess is that some of the dyes were from quests done in Dunland, in the Tal Mahedras area. There are a few epic-line quests there, that reward dyes..... and those MIGHT just be bound to character. Another possibility is maybe dyes from Lalia's market, but I am not sure there.... I thought those might be bound to account.
    Last edited by maartena; Mar 20 2023 at 03:46 PM.
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" and "In The Near Future™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the words, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™", "Near", and "Future" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

Drinks Coffee All Day
    These days, most things are bound to account. Dyes made with ingredient packs are bound to account for instance and do not cause an issue. But there are a few quest-offered dyes that are not bound to character..... see above post. I agree though, there really is no need for those anymore, but there may be some old quests that have not been updated that reward dyes.
    Last edited by maartena; Mar 20 2023 at 03:47 PM.
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" and "In The Near Future™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the words, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™", "Near", and "Future" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

Drinks Coffee All Day
    Regardless of the reason why certain items have been marked as bound to character, the carry-alls work as intended. With the dye carry-all, all unbound dyes (typically crafted or bartered from festival barterers) as well as bound-to-account dyes will go in the carry-all without issue and you can move said carry-all around.

I have mine in shared storage, when I need dyes for a character I take it out and use those dyes, and then put it back.

There are VERY FEW dyes that are actually bound to character, I have mentioned a few possible options/quests on how a dye could be bound to character.... I don't remember many quests giving out dyes, but if they do it is less than 5 dyes or so (and that is likely the Tal Mahedras quests) those can easily be replaced by crafting a few, or have a kinnie craft a few for you. If you have no friends, no kin, and no crafting skills.... just use those dyes in your wardrobe on some items, the wardrobe items will be used by everyone regardless of whether the dye put on it was bound.
    -----

Smile Thank You!!!

This forums was very helpful, just yesterday mine went bound to a toon and i couldnt figure out for the life of me why till i came across this post. =)