We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Legion gaming laptop having trouble handling lotro

Hi all,
    Hopefully this is the right topic for this. I recently bought a Lenovo Legion 5 (12th gen I7 processor, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060, 165hz refresh, 16gb ram, running win11) because lotro pretty much fried my regular laptop even when playing on medium quality. Given the specs I was looking forward to a smooth, quiet gameplay, but to my dismay lotro is causing a ton of heat output and very high fan activity (vantage is telling me the battery is 85 degrees, after only 15 minutes of gameplay, and the keyboard area is hot to the touch). I've tried fiddling with power modes, turning off rapid charge (seemed to help a tiny bit - the 300W charger on this thing is insane and in itself was causing the port to overheat), lowered in-game resolution to 1920x1080, and adjusting some in-game render settings, but nothing seems to really improve it.
    This is my first gaming laptop and I'm not an expert in advanced settings. But frankly, to me, when you buy a gaming laptop, you'd think you wouldn't need to do so much work to just make it perform the way it's advertised. A friend who has an older model of the same laptop told me lotro barely registers any heat or fan activity when they play on ultra high quality. I'm just trying to play on very high.
    I don't have much of a baseline for how lotro plays on gaming laptops. Can anyone give their two cents as to whether this seems normal, if there's any key settings I'm missing that would make a big difference, or should I return it and keep shopping around?
    Thanks.
    --Namadith--

Use Nvidia Control Panel to force LOTRO to use the dedicated Nvidia card.

Quote Originally Posted by SerowLOTRO View Post
    Yes, it already is. Or rather, the system did not seem to recognize lotro as being installed on the computer at all - it wasn't in the dropdown list of programs, so I set NVIDIA as the global setting. Can confirm NVIDIA is selected within the lotro options as well. Just trying to load the game now, the battery was at 36C after just sitting on the character select menu for less than five minutes.
    Last edited by heirsofdurin711; Apr 11 2023 at 05:59 PM.
    --Namadith--

Quote Originally Posted by SerowLOTRO View Post
    That was also my go-to suggestion x)
    The Champion of Eriador, Man-at-Arms Melvargil Eaglewing, Lord of the Ashen Wastes.

Geek Pub, Evernight